Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scumbags - Zero Tolerance?

Options
  • 27-03-2008 3:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭

Apologies for yet another scumbag thread, but these are threads that I often read on AH, and I have been thinking about methods to prevent the level of scumbag/criminal problems nowadays.

Basically, I think we all agree that there is a problem in Ireland with scumbags acting in a socially irresponsible way. There are many reasons why a youngster becomes a scumbag, but I'm more interested in your opinions of how the government could prevent them impacting on your life.

The question, therefore is this: Do you think Ireland (or Dublin) should adapt a zero-tolerance policing method as used in New York (among other places)? It's an interesting dichotemy on boards, in that many threads complain about scumbags running amok, and many other threads compain about guards harassing them, etc. (eg. recent post where a guy had his Boost confiscated on Paddy's day). I don't think we can have one society without the other, and am personally in favour of zero-tolerance.

After all, I wouldn't mind being stopped and searched (since I've nothing to hide) once in a while, as it wouldn't affect my life. Being knifed in the face by some scumbag carrying a concealed weapon would be much more inconvenient! :) What do you think?

EDIT: Just FYI, zero tolerance establishes a link between public disorder and crime rates.. a broken windows hypothesis. Many argue that this link does not exist, others say that it does and it worked in New York etc. It basically means we would be prosecuted for minor transgressions of the law. Drunk/disorderly etc, in order to crackdown on higher level crimes happening. Of course, the judiciary would have to be behind this also.

Are you in favour of zero tolerance policing? 69 votes

Yes to Zero Tolerance - It would work
    0% 0 votes
    No to Zero Tolerance - It wouldn't work
    75% 52 votes
    It's worth a try - dunno if it would work
    24% 17 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Ok, lots of generalisations here but here goes... Scumbag teens are usually the product of scumbag parents... how about we steralise all male children born in Ireland and the next generation has to apply for a licence to have kids? I mean u need a licence for a bloody dog but yet a scumbag waster can have a child and what chance does that child have... Yeah yeah we may end up with lots of STD's! I know theres sumthin logical in there... somewhere... maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,727 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

wow, another person ready to shred up his rights and freedoms for a little extra peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

FearDark wrote: »
    Ok, lots of generalisations here but here goes... Scumbag teens are usually the product of scumbag parents... how about we steralise all male children born in Ireland and the next generation has to apply for a licence to have kids? I mean u need a licence for a bloody dog but yet a scumbag waster can have a child and what chance does that child have... Yeah yeah we may end up with lots of STD's! I know theres sumthin logical in there... somewhere... maybe.

I agree to some extent (sterilisation is a bit radical for me though! :)). In the book 'Freakonomics' the author argues that the legalisation of abortion has more to do with decreasing crime rates in the US, since low income single mothers are more likely to get them, and prevent unwanted kids roaming the streets....

Overheal wrote: »
    wow, another person ready to shred up his rights and freedoms for a little extra peace of mind.

What rights and freedoms though? Should I have the rights and freedoms to get plastered drunk, fight randomers in the streets, break up public amenities, intimidate people etc... after all, law is a restriction on 'rights & freedoms' in order to ensure the rights and freedoms of society as a whole. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,727 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

the right to your privacy, for one.

and yes I enjoy my right to drink when i feel like it, without being treated discriminantly. Which is what youre suggesting.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

can't we all just get along and blame the jews?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

A better standard of education is the answer.

If morals and ethics aren't going to be taught at home then they should be taught in the schools.

More amenities and facilities should be put in place to occupy the time of teenagers as well.

All this calling for extra police and policing powers is moronic if the roots of the social problems aren't going to be combated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I'd rather you get knifed in the face than lose my human rights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Kold wrote: »
    I'd rather you get knifed in the face than lose my human rights.

And who'd be knifing me in the face only some scumbag's demon seed lookin to feck my wallet for his next hit, shoulda steralised the parents i say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I was in Egypt recently and their security presence is absolutely unreal. Every restaurant has a metal detector and security monitoring who goes in, same with every hotel or other establishment (or at least the decent ones). They've regular check-points all along various roads, along with armed security men sitting in little bays every X metres. On some roads, I even saw gun turrets mounted up on walls, where men were stationed all day and night, armed heavily.

It's an extreme example of a police force but it appears to work. I saw no fights, no drunks wandering the streets at all hours, no violent crime or petty crime either, which considering they're a very greedy nation was surprising.

I don't think I'd like such a presence in Dublin though, but I would like to see more of a security force on our streets, be it late at night when the pubs/clubs close or even during the day. Things seem to have picked up in the city centre, last time I was in I saw more Gardaí patrolling, but I still think it has to be increased.

I would absolutely love to see a zero tolerance stance being brought in on drink driving, along with more check points at night, particularly smack bang outside pubs where they can sting people before they have a chance to do harm.

I think that to stop the growth of more scum, something has to be done now. I'd 100% be in favour of a more "radical" approach, be it preventing the drains on society such as those living purely off welfare from having more kids and sufficient monitoring to make sure every one of their already existing children is in school and is getting the educational support they need to progress on to further education or at least do well with the one they have.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if we had the muslim brotherhood in Dublin, then maybe that kind of police presence would be jutified...

maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

that's stupid, they say there's going to be a no-tolerance thingy, but I've seen no change at all, except maybe now guards are fining on the spot and not bringing people home, but that's only because they can't bring home everyone they find.

And I'm not saying I'm a scumbag, I'm not saying that my mates are, but it's people who think "Ohhh group of teenagers drinking ... must be upta no good, better call the police" are just a bunch of busy bodies who can't apperciate harmeless fun. Yea my mates (mostly lads) wear tracksuits and stuff, and yea we all like going out on the knack on the weekends, but because of that we've all been unrightly labelled.

Oh and this anti-tolerance thing is completly hipocrytical ... nothings changed and I doubt that nothing will be done really untill my own kids are old enough to be drinking themselves ...

If morals and ethics aren't going to be taught at home then they should be taught in the schools.

More amenities and facilities should be put in place to occupy the time of teenagers as well.

100% agree.

that's stupid, they say there's going to be a no-tolerance thingy, but I've seen no change at all, except maybe now guards are fining on the spot and not bringing people home, but that's only because they can't bring home everyone they find.

And I'm not saying I'm a scumbag, I'm not saying that my mates are, but it's people who think "Ohhh group of teenagers drinking ... must be upta no good, better call the police" are just a bunch of busy bodies who can't apperciate harmeless fun. Yea my mates (mostly lads) wear tracksuits and stuff, and yea we all like going out on the knack on the weekends, but because of that we've all been unrightly labelled.

Oh and this anti-tolerance thing is completly hipocrytical ... nothings changed and I doubt that nothing will be done really untill my own kids are old enough to be drinking themselves ...
    No, reporting underage drinking in public places is the right thing to do, do you see why?

rb_ie wrote: »
    I was in Egypt recently and their security presence is absolutely unreal. Every restaurant has a metal detector and security monitoring who goes in, same with every hotel or other establishment (or at least the decent ones). They've regular check-points all along various roads, along with armed security men sitting in little bays every X metres. On some roads, I even saw gun turrets mounted up on walls, where men were stationed all day and night, armed heavily.

It's an extreme example of a police force but it appears to work. I saw no fights, no drunks wandering the streets at all hours, no violent crime or petty crime either, which considering they're a very greedy nation was surprising.

I don't think I'd like such a presence in Dublin though, but I would like to see more of a security force on our streets, be it late at night when the pubs/clubs close or even during the day. Things seem to have picked up in the city centre, last time I was in I saw more Gardaí patrolling, but I still think it has to be increased.

I would absolutely love to see a zero tolerance stance being brought in on drink driving, along with more check points at night, particularly smack bang outside pubs where they can sting people before they have a chance to do harm.

I think that to stop the growth of more scum, something has to be done now. I'd 100% be in favour of a more "radical" approach, be it preventing the drains on society such as those living purely off welfare from having more kids and sufficient monitoring to make sure every one of their already existing children is in school and is getting the educational support they need to progress on to further education or at least do well with the one they have.

That's only because a loads of tourists were the target of terrorist attacks, so in order to get tourists to go to their country, the egyptians have a lot of security. When i went there we had to go everywhere in convoy with the army, and even in our hotel and everything there were guards with all sorts of weapons.

That has nothing to do with "scumbags" or the likes, it's all just to make sure that no more tourists get blown to pieces in a terrorist attack

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

All we need is a higher police presence on the streets at night. As far as random bag searches go, yes I'd rather you got stabbed in the face. You'd be one in several thousand rather than 1 in 5 of us going down for having a nodge.

You and your mates drinking in public would definitely be one of the things to get hit under this scheme. Although I'm sure you aren't scumbags, and I've done it myself, you must realise that many people will see a group of boisterous young people in tracksuits drinking/drunk in a public place and have their sense of security eroded. The broken-windows hypothesis is central to this feeling of decreased security, since it suggests that if there is a feeling of disorder in a place, it is more likely to attract crime and criminals.

I also agree with the education idea, however, I'm thinking more pragmatically that something needs to be done to draw a line now... social psychology and root cause/corrective action is important, but more difficult to achieve and it will take a long time to bear fruit.. in my opinion.. anyway, interesting so far people! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Point understood, but do you honestly think that youngsters will pay a blind bit of attention to what teachers say on the subject if the back-up isn't there from home?

Experience elsewhere (and here to an extent) has shown that there is more hope of getting the message across in the informal education / youth work context, so I would totally agree with the rest of your post.

All this calling for extra police and policing powers is moronic if the roots of the social problems aren't going to be combated.
    Yep, you just get jails which are fuller, and politicians shouting about how that is "success" ... while the youngsters who are locked up get a thorough criminal education.

That's only because a loads of tourists were the target of terrorist attacks, so in order to get tourists to go to their country, the egyptians have a lot of security. When i went there we had to go everywhere in convoy with the army, and even in our hotel and everything there were guards with all sorts of weapons.

That has nothing to do with "scumbags" or the likes, it's all just to make sure that no more tourists get blown to pieces in a terrorist attack
    Oh I realise it's for the tourists, but the OTT security appears to do good things for domestic crime also.

I say appears as I don't know the official statistics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

No, I don't agree. I think Zero Tolerance is flawed. I think to adopt such measures here would be to totally **** things up, basically everyone would have to suffer invasion of their privacy because of a few maggots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Jackovarian

what about sending them off to the army or something on offence?

like if they offend, make it possible for a judge to order them into the army for service.

cleans up the streets and cleans them up also.

tell ya what though, down this part of the country it isnt as bad as it used to be. i think the older generation scummers are so strung out they barely leave their houses anymore! the rst of them are in cars.
    so the streets arent too bad anymore! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭cherubaul

i am in favour of bringing in more public punishments for public order offences.
    If caught brawling in the street the guilty party shall be paraded into the street on a sunday and flogged for the amusement of the public.
    It is a punishment both fitting of the crime and also serves to show the public that justice has been served the same for petty criminals too.
    humiliation and putting the fear of God into someone will always work better than a redundant prison system.
    i believe that non custodial draconian measures that mean they will have to pay their pound o flesh for their fun would be off putting for delinquents.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I see that the Time Machine forum is finally up and running, and we have a visitor from the Middle Ages.

Problem is, is that in smaller towns some families are well known, and because of that, kids of said families can get away with anything because of their family, no one wants to mess with them, not even the guards.

It's not as simple as just arresting every young person they see, that's rediculous, the guarda station would just be filled with angry complaints and even if a court case is held, say the likes of naas, 99% of all young people are excused.

As long as our legal system is as it is, nothings going to change, and while it's like this young people are going to continue as they always have been, and anyway, the guards don't stop anything, no one fears the guards anymore, if you get brough home, your out again in a flash. I know I definitly won't be affected if the guards decided to do their jobs and do somtthing, because it won't happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭cherubaul

yes yes yes....... as i said the methods are draconian but are the civilised alternatives working? in my opinion no.

Criminals both career and spontaneous commit crimes by encroaching and blatantly disregarding the basic human rights of others i assume we can agree on this point.

Imprisonment is a breach of a persons human rights as they are striped of freedom etc etc .
    So too is corporal punishment but when one considers that a person who has already wounded society is merely compounding the fact by costing hard earned taxes languishing inside a jail. therefore corporal punishment for public order offences is a cheap alternative to this. doesnt take the person out of society and enforces that an offence against a fellow citizen is totally unacceptable and severe sanctions will be issued.

money lost in fines can be re earned
    prison wastes potential
    a damnably good thrashing will give someone a leson they wont soon forget.

I think we should call them 'guttersnipes' instead of scumbags... who's with me? :D

the real problem is that these guys/girls really don't think they are doing much wrong. Its all just a bit of fun to them.

and fair enough to an extent thats all it generally is, at somebody elses expense though.

its just not a good country at the moment. its in turmoil. between, badly planned housing schemes in the 70's coming back to haunt us, government jobs and commuter bands moving people from their home invironments around the country, which is causing major trouble in the local towns, where the local youngsters havent seen anybody as cool as jimmy from dublin and want to emulate his every move! (not pickin on dubs here! i love the dubs!)

also the fact that our stupid government rewards single parents by giving them houses means that there will be plenty feral children to grace us throughout the coming years.

god sake! a girl goes out, accidentally gets knocked up. she gets a council house. fair enough. same girl then continues getting pregnant. loads more money from the government. the more kids you have the more child support doubles! there are cases down here where girls are getng themselves pregnant just so they can get a house! i **** you not!

this country is like england in the 60's/70's and its going to take a long time before teh damage even begins to heal.

I'm ron burgundy?

I agree jack... I see drink driving adverts, safe sex ads, even anti-litter ads.. but where is the anti-guttersnipe adverts? You know, the ads that show guttersnipes and paint them as the fools (with tracksuits tucked into socks) that they are?

hehe. yeah.

throw in burberry jackets and giant gold (coffin handles) hoopy earrings!

maybe tic tacs should do an ad, like, show a clock n go TIC!
    then show a guttersnipe and go TAC!-y-c*-nt

man! im getting that word round this town!
    guttersnipes it is!
    just rolls off the tongue like chewin tabaccy!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I think the rhetoric of our elected officals has got to start including the word "scumbag".
    Our government buries its head in the sand!

As soon as the government admits the country has a scumbag problem the sooner something can be done about it.

Why doesn't Enda Kenny ask Bertie something like "And Bertie, why the **** is the country full of scumbags?"

Advertisement