Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday Spin...

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

kenmc wrote: »
    it is more of a 'see where you have been' than a 'find your way around' sort of gps

hmmm, useful present for the better half:rolleyes: :eek:

Seriously, thanks for that. I see them on ebay but I think I'll wait til I get really serious before I blow the grocery budget on another gadget! Still, I love those stats...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

i got one as a present for my bday too - wiggle had a special on i think at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

oobydooby wrote: »
    hmmm, useful present for the better half:rolleyes: :eek:

Seriously, thanks for that. I see them on ebay but I think I'll wait til I get really serious before I blow the grocery budget on another gadget! Still, I love those stats...

If you want a cheap one, then I'd heartily reccommend the Cateye cc 200dw -it's about 90 quid in Cyclelogical (cheaper online), and has everything you need, certainly starting off. It won't map your route like the Garmin, but it tells you speed, distance heartrate etc, and is cheap -well worth getting and using till you feel serious enough to spend big on the Garmin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

The Garmin Edge (not the Forerunner) can be got quite cheap on ebay these days.

yeah the edge 305 is basically the bike specific version of the forerunner 305 - the main difference I think is that the forerunner is a 'watch' that can go on your wrist, and you can chose betweeen cycling, running and 'other', and have different settings for them, such as different HR zones, speed zones and equipment weights etc. whereas the edge only goes in your pocket, or the bike mount and might not cater for the different activities.
    If you go up to the edge 705 then you get route navigation functionality too with HRM, or the 605 if you won't want the HRM.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah that's a good point. I guess it's handy on the bike to have something to glance at quickly - not sure if a watch would cover that?

well I mount it on my handlebars. the screen is large, and you can choose the display formats - there are 3 screens and you can have up to 4 items of data on each screen - you can have it automagically rotating between the screens. It's fine to be honest. for running you'd want it to be on minimal info, large sized - maybe 2 per screen. My biking screens are all set up at 3-4 items per screen. - trip time, distance, elevation, speed, avg speed, max hr, hrm, max cadence, cadence, others I can't remember.

Grand! I'll add one of them to my expanding shopping list :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I wouldn't get the Forerunner unless you run as well as bike.

For bike-only the Edge is a better bet, available cheaper (especially now the new ones are out) and much bigger screen (up to 8 pieces of data per screen.)

If you do want something you can run with though the Forerunner would make a lot of sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭erizo

Hi guys.

I would gladly join you for the saturday spin, but i'm afraid i won't be able to wake up on time as i have planned a night out with some mates coming on holidays.

If anyone would be up to go on sunday i would love to go.
    All depends if i get my new pedals in by friday!
    If not, I can wait for next week.

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement