Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Document

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

I wish yez the very best of luck in what yez are at - glad I left that behind me. Reacting / answering on the hop is 'une rude épreuve'
    My two cents: 1: if it's a picture, show to someone who doesn't know you or the subject and look for a stupid irrelevant question: here's a picture of a horse - how do you say 'horse shoe' or 'flank' (drag in 'tirer au flanc' later in conversation to get A2?).

2: THE poster of Ms Bruni sold in London - know what Christie’s do for a living. How do you say 'tasteful'? Can you say 40 and 1993 with some ease? Sarko is a sensitive topic - mind yourself if examiner is French (not Irish). Sarko's holidays paid for by Vincent Bolloré I think but don't say that if they vote 'de droite'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Diarmsquid wrote: »
    Can you bring a document into the Irish Oral or is it just French?

No, it's just for French. All the orals have their own format.
    For Irish, you have to read a "sliocht" and then have a conversation.
    For German, you have the conversation, plus I think you have to learn picture stories, or something, and one will come up.
    French is a conversation plus the optional document.
    No idea how other languages work.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Ino112

Hmm, I think I might have been a bit rude earlier. Sorry for that :(

My point was that just because one does not bring in a document, doesn't mean they aren't that well prepared. I was trying to remove the stigma from it.

My point is, I'm not willing to take that risk. Only time shall tell I suppose? :)

Good luck to all sitting their orals!

Edit: btw, I wasn't saying bringing in a document was a bad impression to make. Quite the opposite in fact; but since this is a common conception, many students bring in documents and it may back-fire on them due to the range of questions asked.

Like I said bfore, it's an option, therefore implying equal marks can be earned in both ways. It just depends whether you need visual stimulus to talk comfortably, or whether you can map the conversation to your liking. Also, it counts on the examiner..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

You can look at the french oral two ways

You can look at it in the idealistic way where you wan't to be able to speak fluent frenach and have no problem talking about anything

Or you can look at it in a more realistic way and see it as a 15 minute memory test to get points in get into college and one of the easiest ways to do this is with a document :)

People need to get their piorities straight

And listen to Square Igloo!! I wen't to school with him and he was a-ma-zing at french

• Registered Users Posts: 20 rower 4 life

ya i am a rower but its such a hard thing to talk about. and im kinda thinkin of doing sumat along these lines
    . pic of a fattie ... obesity
    . pic of french athelit... olypic's sport and all that
    . road accident...boy racers saftey the double d

square igloo what would u do???????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

ya i am a rower but its such a hard thing to talk about. and im kinda thinkin of doing sumat along these lines
    . pic of a fattie ... obesity
    . pic of french athelit... olypic's sport and all that
    . road accident...boy racers saftey the double d

square igloo what would u do???????
    Hmmm...it's hard to say. They'd all be excellent documents if you have the right vocab and you get the right questions...there's always the danger that something more obscure could creep in.
    For sport, you'd need Le Dopage. You'd also wanna talk a bit about who the athlete is, especially if they're French. And be prerpared to talk about sport in general quite a bit, since you've brought in a sport-related document the examiner will assume you're interested in it. There's a lot in that document. The difficulty is you might be asked something like the whole China/Tibet thing, and whether China should be allowed host the Olympics (It's very unlikely this would occur, but you might get a tricky Examiner)

The obesity thing would require: How and Why people become obese, the dangers involved, ways to combat obesity (Sport again!:)) and maybe a bit about how obesity is portrayed in the media. Similarly,if you wanted to, you could bring in a pic of a size-zero model, talk about media pressure etc.

The road safety one could be a good one aswell. (If you know the French for "Boy Racers", and "souped-up" etc. :)) You might need to prepare a bt about the Road Safety Authority and ways of combatting car accidents.

Have you spoken to your teacher about this? He/She would know a lot more than me!!:D And they'd probably be able to tell you which one of those three would be easiest/most difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

you'd better pick one soon OP. better a well prepared document on a not so good subject than a not so well prepared document on a great subject. my advice just pick one. get all the vocab. get youselft interested in the subject. speak into the mirror and try to act like you live for the subject you choose. The examiners like that. It doesnt really matter what you do as long as its not the same as everyone elses.

Me, im doing it on rowing. Mainly because I won national champs last year and nobody else in my year does rowing, so i'll be the only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 MnMs

i did my document on the red cross but ended up not talking about it really at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

I was planning on not doing a document, and my teacher told me I didn't really need to do one, but then when I was reading my revision book it said it a) strongly advised a student to prepare one and b) that students with documents were proven to get higher results.

Because of that, I'm taking a picture of myself and some friends in Monaco in. It's not topical, it's not Carla Bruni with her baps out, but it's fine and it'll get me talking about travel and the benefits of travel to adolescents, or that's the hope.

You don't have to show off with a fancy-pants document, as long as you prepare it. I'm working on mine now and my oral's on Thursday.

Not having done a French oral yet I can't speak from personal experience, but it makes sense to bring in something you can fall back on, something you have vocab on, and something that can add on five minutes of pretty good French to your conversation.

ps Peleus you suck :)

Advertisement