Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Derren Brown

Options
  • 25-03-2008 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭

So what's the deal with this fellow? Is he a genius, a trickster, or both? Having watched the tv show a bit I have been amazed to the point of disbelief on numerous occasions. He seems the real deal but I can't believe that someone can have such incredible control over somebody else through hypnotism.

Here he is with Simon Pegg, great extract from his show:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

He is the real deal. But that depends on what u take the real deal to be. He uses a combination of suggestion and psychology to do most of his tricks. He doesnt use stooges or anything.

Unbelieveably talented!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

hes definitely the real deal,as big said most of his stuff is based on physchology and suggestion with some magic thrown in for good measure.Theres no hallucination involved in his act, if you watch back over that particular clip you can see how he suggests through the clip that simon pegg wants a bmx bike. Every sentence nearly has some reference to a bike, describing him being "pumped up", he says the word "bike" instead of "by", and he says bmx by combining xbox with other words "a car like a bm, or an xbox. Its very clever and only when you watch it again you can see it, his live show he did in the Albert Hall i think it was is amazing, you can get it on 4oD if you use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Yeah I know someone who saw him live in England and they were telling me about some of the stuff he was doing, and I just couldn't believe that he could predict some of the things that would happen.

I watched the zombie clip aswell, the one where he hypnotises some lad playing an arcade game in a pub, then brings him to a weird building that is built to mirror the game. The lad wakes up, and loads of actors playing zombies start coming after him. The poor lad is completely weirded out!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Thats the thing tho he doesnt predict they are going to happen he forces people to make decisions through suggestion that make things act out the way he wanted. His live show that was on tv is very impressive and some of the effort he goes is fantastic. the episode he does on robbing a securicor van is brilliant how he manipluates the people by hearing a certain song and feeling impowered enough to attempt to rob a van full of money with a toy gun. Brilliant stuff

Yeah, i saw him live and it was amazing!! he would look at a persons initials and how they were written and predict exactly what sex they were, their occupation and freakily their age (which was spot on every time!!)

I loved that zombie episode. that whole Trick or Treat series is great. I'd highly recommend 4OD (stands for channel 4 on demand) to anyone who wants to watch all his stuff.

• Advertisement

bigslick wrote: »
    Yeah, i saw him live and it was amazing!! he would look at a persons initials and how they were written and predict exactly what sex they were, their occupation and freakily their age (which was spot on every time!!)

I loved that zombie episode. that whole Trick or Treat series is great. I'd highly recommend 4OD (stands for channel 4 on demand) to anyone who wants to watch all his stuff.
    Yeah, the initials thing, wtf!?! Just... how????

Daddio wrote: »
    Yeah, the initials thing, wtf!?! Just... how????

I have no idea man. But its kinda one of those things i dont wanna know how, if ya get me. just revel in the fact its amazing. like ive seen mentalists on stage before but he was the best ive ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

heh totally doesn't work on me, I can hear what he's saying, afterwards I'm just left wondering, how can anyone fall for this!? ... but as I said in the hypnotism thread, hypnotism doesn't work on me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Sorry to burst your bubbles lads....but seeing as this is a magic forum, i may as well let you in on the fact that Derren Brown is predominantly a magician. Explanations of mind control, psychology, hypnosis and subliminal messages (such as the bmx clip above) are misdirection.

Anybody with any kind of knowledge of magic/mentalism will recognize most of his effects straight away. Good presentation though, one of the better magicians of recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

As voodoo said, Derren mainly uses the principles of illusion. One or two of the effects he does are actually quite old and have been performed by a lot of people. Copperfield for example did a spirit table bit - the one where the table moves of it's own accord - and I've performed one or two of the classics myself onstage.

• Advertisement

Sorry to burst your bubbles lads....but seeing as this is a magic forum, i may as well let you in on the fact that Derren Brown is predominantly a magician. Explanations of mind control, psychology, hypnosis and subliminal messages (such as the bmx clip above) are misdirection.

Anybody with any kind of knowledge of magic/mentalism will recognize most of his effects straight away. Good presentation though, one of the better magicians of recent times.
    Can you give an example of some magic tricks he uses? Not give em away necessarily, but just how he uses them in his show or in his set?

I'm quite interested/freaked out by how he actually works his subjects!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Can you give an example of some magic tricks he uses? Not give em away necessarily, but just how he uses them in his show or in his set?
    Yeah sure. 'Subliminal advertising' (youtube it). He gives some guys a sealed envelope, they draw a picture, lo-and-behold, the envelope had the picture in it.

His presentation is fantastic, he spends time talking about advertising, 'shows' the guys how he implanted the ideas in there head, gives you the impression that there's some amazing psychology going on....that's the whole idea behind his stage persona.

But look at the basic effect - sealed envelope prediction. Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Absolutely amazing guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

yep, he's a magician, he uses tricks rather than hypnosis or psychology...he does use some suggestion etc. but only rarely is it actually the whole working of the trick. He's also been known to do a bit of pre show work. The whole suggestion/psychology thing is usually just the presentation of a trick, it's who his character is...he is a great card magician aswell, anyone who's seen his devils picture book will agree...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

I have seen derren brown on tv a few times and it can be good but this was utter nonsense. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II_-QcW4Q4I&feature=related You cant fool a machine Derren :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Here's a response to that video above, explaining how he 'tricks' her.

Very interesting but while some people would fall for it, I'm not sure many would!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

I lost respect for him after that cop out show 'The System'.
    60 mins waiting for him to reveal how to pick winning horses and afterall that it was just a farce. For shame brown, for shame.

lol you're just annoyed you didn't get a lot for very little.
    If you want that try the lotto. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Here he is with Simon Pegg, great extract from his show:

If you listen to that video carefully you'll hear him say at one point "...by creating...". The way he pauses when saing that it sounds very like he is saying "bike~reating". Very clever.

Later of course he says, "...if you want a car...like a BM or an X-Box..." again putting the emphasis on "BM and X".

Very well done. I know some will say it's NLP, I prefer to call it 'sleight of tongue" :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

That dog track video is the first time I have seen something by Derren Brown and thought I'm certain it's a set up.

Knowing how tote betting works (at a horse track anyway, I assume it's the same) there's no way that this is possible. There are no 'odds' as such involved in a tote bet, the machines record all the money staked in a particular type of bet and divide it proportionally (minus their cut) between all the winning bets.
    (e.g. if €1,000 is staked in all 'to win' bets on a race, and horse 3 wins having had €100 staked in win bets on it, each winner will receive €10 per €1 staked). This is calculated after the race has finished, not before and only for the winners.

Therefore the cashiers at the tote have no way of deciding how much could have been won by a losing ticket without doing some complicated calculations with information that they wouldn't have immediately available. The machines also tell them exactly how much to pay out on a winning ticket - they do not calculate these things themselves and therefore I just can't see the cashier doing something that is totally outside of her job at this meagre suggestion.

• Advertisement

I don't think the bmx trick,has anything to do with Nlp or suggestion...Derren admits that he doesnt use Nlp and that its basically a load of rubbish..what you have to remember is that he's an accomplished pickpocket,so what probably happened is-he got his hands on Simon Peggs wallet-swapped the piece of paper,then filmed the bmx trick afterwards..

I don't think the bmx trick,has anything to do with Nlp or suggestion...Derren admits that he doesnt use Nlp and that its basically a load of rubbish..what you have to remember is that he's an accomplished pickpocket,so what probably happened is-he got his hands on Simon Peggs wallet-swapped the piece of paper,then filmed the bmx trick afterwards..

You have obviously never seen the show he did in the albert hall where throughout the program is dropping suggestions in the same manner he does saying BM or Xbox etc to get people to randomly pick the daily mail out 5 papers and then a certain page number, a certain paragraph, a certain line,right down to a specific word that he has written earlier in an envelope. While he doesnt use NLP he does use sugesstion. If you watched the video you would see Simon Pegg signed across the envelope seal so that it couldnt have been tampered with by anyone trying to swap the piece of paper. Derren Brown is not some guy with special mind power or anything, at the end of the day he is a magician but he uses suggestion and other pyschological tricks as part of his act.

Axwell wrote: »
    You have obviously never seen the show he did in the albert hall where throughout the program is dropping suggestions in the same manner he does saying BM or Xbox etc to get people to randomly pick the daily mail out 5 papers and then a certain page number, a certain paragraph, a certain line,right down to a specific word that he has written earlier in an envelope. While he doesnt use NLP he does use sugesstion. If you watched the video you would see Simon Pegg signed across the envelope seal so that it couldnt have been tampered with by anyone trying to swap the piece of paper. Derren Brown is not some guy with special mind power or anything, at the end of the day he is a magician but he uses suggestion and other pyschological tricks as part of his act.
    That's what I thought, but there's a few people now that have said that he doesn't use suggestion in his tricks. But I can't see how he'd do the tricks without it! Particularly some of the stuff in his live show.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

and magicians cant get around that? :rolleyes:

The newspaper trick at the end of his last tour,has absolutely nothing to do with suggestion,it's a couple of great forces compiled together,it's Derren's presentation that hides it. Aso if I remember correctly he only mentioned Nlp once in the television series.

There was a part cut from the newspaper trick on the tv broadcast,which he did every night,just before being handed the clippings..he'd start making weird noises and say that the nail was starting to affect him now,from earlier.

At this point he pulls out a handkerchief and blows his nose,loading his hands with different pieces..then when the girl hands him the ripped pieces,he did a switch..Its absence is pretty noticeable on the Tv broadcast,but you can still see the switch.

Theres plenty of great examples of Derren doing simple magic tricks,but its his presentation that really elevates him,above the rest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Brown is one of my favourite performers. He uses a mix of "magic" and psychology. He makes it clear though in his bigger shows how he works, he always selects those that he can influence.

The show he did on the heist was class. I also really liked his show where he gave "fortune teller" profiles on 3 separate groups of people

i didnt see the zombie one, must look it up. I did see one similar where he tricked someone into thinking they were dreaming when they weren't. Was gas!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

faceman wrote: »
    i didnt see the zombie one, must look it up.

It was brilliant, though I would be paranoid about longer term affects.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

...to get people to randomly pick the daily mail out 5 papers and then a certain page number, a certain paragraph, a certain line,right down to a specific word that he has written earlier in an envelope. While he doesnt use NLP he does use sugesstion. If you watched the video you would see Simon Pegg signed across the envelope seal so that it couldnt have been tampered with by anyone trying to swap the piece of paper...

I've done that one myself more than once and I can promise you I have absolutely no background in NLP. Derren might use NLP but realistically, what's the point when there are easier ways of doing everything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

6th wrote: »
    It was brilliant, though I would be paranoid about longer term affects.

watched it yesterday, couldnt help but feel that the victims and his mates were pre arranged volunteers. not saying it was faked but his mates went along with it too easily.

The look on your mans face when he saw the zombies tho! Class!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

personally i think andy nyman is one of the most clever prople in magic right now. the guy has kahunas on him his tricks are so clever and in your face and downright cheeky you think "no way will they fall for that".

derren is more the presentation side of andy's tricks.

Advertisement