Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M3 - destined to be ghost road?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Navan Junction

MYOB wrote: »
    Believe it killed off The Barrow between Ratoath and the N2, though. Was known for being cheap enough IIRC and people travelled off the N2 to get to it, suddenly went from a mile to 3 or 4 miles round trip from the junction.
    Aye, true but there was a dip in volumes for a while on the old N2. Ironically, another garage north of Ashbourne which now has more traffic than ever passing it because it is just a few miles north of the new N2 (near Kilmoon) closed down after the new N2 opened, which is ironic.

The most interesting aspect of the M3 opening will be how it effects the new N2. There are huge volumes crossing to Ashbourne to use it, and presumable that may change.

However, that may be decided in the end by which junction (N2/M50 or N3/M50) allows faster access to the city centre

Just on garages on the Old N2 - did you notice that they aren't as cheap as they were anymore? Business must be good

Just get off an exit before the toll - will this be an option on the m3?
    Yes on the southern toll, not really on the northern toll. On the southern toll you could exit at Dunshaughlin, go through Dunshaughlin or as is more likely, zip across to the Trim-Dublin road on the new connecting road and rejoin the M3 at the Blackbull (Trim/Ratoath junction on N3), if it's worth that inconvienience.

North of Navan you would have to exit north of Tara Mines and come back in over the new link road to where PC world is and head north all the way to Kells on the old N3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Yes, it will be heavily patronised

Not nessessarily. The toll will be about 1.30 or so.

Where are you getting that figure from.

The Fermoy Bypass (M8) is now €1.80 like, there increasing it slowly but surely.

Don't ask me for a link, but the last set of figures for it said it would be about that. I had expected it to be more as originally they had said €1.20 at 2001 prices or something like that. Tracey Hogan in the Indo referenced it

I'm sure it will go up, and the reason it is lower is because it is a split toll. But the point is that people will pay it for the same reason they pay the m50 toll

I'm not very happy about it (obviously) but I'd rather be paying just the one rather than the two commuters north of Navan will be paying. But we knew this was coming down the tracks for years so what can you do but just get on with it?

It is amazing that the Chambers of Commerce accepted the tolls, but then again tolls may act as a deterrent to shoppers to head towards Dublin and the Chambers of Meath count many retailers amongst their numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,067 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just on garages on the Old N2 - did you notice that they aren't as cheap as they were anymore? Business must be good

Cheap petrol = business is good. Fuel is a game of volume too

And they are still quite cheap - the one at Coolquay was 116.9 today, which is barely above the (generally below average) Benchmark price for the week.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    the one at Coolquay was 116.9 today, which is barely above the (generally below average) Benchmark price for the week.
    That's where I fill up. But it has been 1.19 for a while (haven't been there this week)

But recently that price has been matched by other garages so it hasn't been the bargain it used to be. However the coffee is better than the other N2 garages so what the hell

Advertisement