Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Building Materials, kitchen, bathroom, etc

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭mountain

I went into a plumbing supplier in cork last week,
    with a list of items that we need for extension, explained that I could buy cheaper in UK or Germany, but that i would prefer to keep the money local,
    got a very good price from them, not as cheap as the UK, but money is staying local, dont have to worry if something is wrong or broken, and have a place to go back to if there is a problem.

I dont want to start on a "we have been ripped off for years" discussion,
    if you are purchasing, at least give the local supplier the chance to get as close to the uk prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 xtraa

hi mountain
    I'm in cork too and now doing the same. Could you please let me know which supplier you used?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 48 lollipop08

i just found an irish web site selling all things plumbing and bathroom - and tiles too.
    <SNIP> - - it must be new as i didn't see it when I was looking to do my 3 bathrooms this summer -- pity as some of the prices are very competitive. not sure if there are other irish equivalents - anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Slig wrote: »
    The biggest "issue" with imported windows is that most (if not all) open inwards which rules out the use of curtains.

Why? I can only see it being a problem if you wanted to have the windows open but the curtains closed, which would seem odd to me.

I have inward opening tilt & turn windows with curtains and certainly so far as I'm concerned it's a non-issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 aboyjacksie

Hi

I had almost the complete house fitted with bathhroom stuff from <SNIP>. They are a UK based company and only deliver to the UK so I had so arrange my own onward delivery to Ireland but even after conversion to sterling an transport, the savings were about half of what I would pay locally.

I have no association with the company other than being satisfied with their service.

Hi can i have contact details for delivery company you used thanks mil?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Ok, listen up!

Since this thread has been resurrected I have tidied it up, removing all the company and product names as well as the web site lists.

All such references should be kept to PM, thank you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Importing plumbing and bathroom fittings from abroad.....

Fire away... Just remember 2 things...

1, Irish fittings are not metric so will have to be adapted.

2. Low pressure in ireland is not 0.5bar its lower so its 0.2 bar

In a typical bathroom thats gravity feed this is the problems that occur

Basin. Tap is metric so will require imperial conversion. Hot and cold tap will be very slow...especiall mono mxr

Toilet: Toilet will take ages to fill...Will also require metric to imperial conversion

Bath. Taps with a diverter will struggle to stay open. they will also require imperial conversion

Shower: Pump and convesion

Infact put simple...There is about 300 euros extra in labour provided the plumber gets it right....

That european suite does not look that cheap now...

If there is a pressurised system in the house the cost will reduce

Having said all that....Most of the toilets imported into the country now are high pressure and require the ball valve to be changed.....

I personally would not import and i am in the business years...Having said that i buy simple easy to replace stuff...However if i were to buy branded stuff and i could buy it cheaper abroad then maybe......

One last peice of advice...Shipping terms.... Make sure they are favorable as porcelaine or pottery as its callled does not like long journeys....

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭doniepony

Could anybody who has had a positive experience importing Plumbing and bathroom ware please PM the suppliers or the websites that they used as i am just looking into costings. Anything would be appreciated

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭SARAH ANNE

could u pm me 2 pls

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mossie27

Me too please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 B1rds

Can also be PM'd, just building would be interested in any advise on importing tiles etc

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Hi

Could anybody please pM me also with names of companys used to import sanitary ware. Will be looking to do this soon

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Troy McClure

Can those who posted and have been through this, and have installed what they bought, PM me the site's they may have used.? Also did you encounter any problems as a consequence of the different fitting sizes ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ewanalex

Hi can whoever is giving out the website names please PM me too? I realise i may be too late on this thread but ive only just spotted it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 sotoole1

Importing plumbing and bathroom fittings from abroad.....

Fire away... Just remember 2 things...

1, Irish fittings are not metric so will have to be adapted.

2. Low pressure in ireland is not 0.5bar its lower so its 0.2 bar

In a typical bathroom thats gravity feed this is the problems that occur

Basin. Tap is metric so will require imperial conversion. Hot and cold tap will be very slow...especiall mono mxr

Toilet: Toilet will take ages to fill...Will also require metric to imperial conversion

Bath. Taps with a diverter will struggle to stay open. they will also require imperial conversion

Shower: Pump and convesion

Infact put simple...There is about 300 euros extra in labour provided the plumber gets it right....

That european suite does not look that cheap now...

If there is a pressurised system in the house the cost will reduce

Having said all that....Most of the toilets imported into the country now are high pressure and require the ball valve to be changed.....

I personally would not import and i am in the business years...Having said that i buy simple easy to replace stuff...However if i were to buy branded stuff and i could buy it cheaper abroad then maybe......

One last peice of advice...Shipping terms.... Make sure they are favorable as porcelaine or pottery as its callled does not like long journeys....
    Just to help those who are in need of saving money on sanitary and plumbing fittings. The above quote by Joey the lips is 100% correct.
    And if anybody wants any info on suppliers of high quality material pm me.
    Most dealers in Ireland are English owned ,but I would say spend your €s in the Irish branches. And anyway if you dont compare dealers prices on material and barter with them you dont deserve the saving.
    And if a dealer says the display price is final go elsewhere ,after time when the tills are low they will come around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 smokeyj

Hi can whoever is giving out the website names please PM me too?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭paul127

Could i also get a pm of the web sites and any good or bad feedback thanks paul

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Hi

I would appreciate it if people could PM me the links to the websites they bought from also

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rock12

Hi,

Could you pls PM me the details also. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

If people could PM me too I'd appreciate it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Choolips

Hi, Any chance you folks could pm with the names of a couple of reliable foreign suppliers for sanitary wear & stoves etc. Thanks in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 confused_help

Can I get the pm also. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I'm locking this now as the posters bringing in materials from abroad haven't posted in a very long time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement