Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie needing help!

Options
  • 23-03-2008 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I badly need help with my diet! I am soooo not domesticated whatsoever and when it comes to food/ingredients I havent got a clue what to do with them.

I need to start eating more healthily and eating less processed foods but I am seriously at a loss when it comes to actually putting a dish/meal together.

When I say this to people I usually get the reply "Sure practice makes perfect, try and experiment with different foods and see what happens"!

But that is the point, I have no idea even where to start, what to buy etc! I have bought cookery books and still at a loss!

I only found out what butternut squash was a while back as I thought it was something like peanut butter :o and have no idea what chick peas or hummos is (just read a thead about a love affair with it!!).

So, do you have any tips or know of classes/courses on where I can ever start to learn about healthy foods and then learn how to incorporate them into my everyday life?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

I think you are best starting with foods you know and then work up to foods that are new to you. First get into the habit of cooking/preparing fresh food and then move on to experiment with new foods. If you start too big it will become too daunting. So, just make a list of the foods and flavours you like and keep it simple at first. For example, if you like chicken curry and it's one ready meal you regularly buy, look for a recipe and give it a try. Then you could experiment by replacing the chicken with chickpeas. Spagetti bolognese is really easy to make from scratch.

Advertisement