Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Kennels In Bray/Wicklow Area

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Sysiphus

Hi,
    We got a phone call from Barbara and our lads have just returned from Yuppie Puppie where they really enjoyed their stay.

Have to say that we were extremely impressed with the setup there. The larger dogs were given a big field to run in all day. The littles were in the Kitchen and had a big fenced off yard to play in all day. We got a text in the evening to let us know how they were getting on.

Very impressed altogether but highly embarrassed by the post I made a couple of days ago which I hope people will just ignore and mark down as a rant.

If you are not a fan of the traditional kennel (cages etc) then this is the way to go. She only charges 18 euros a night per dog which is very reasonable considering the amount of care they get. It was obvious that she had spent a fair bit of time with our fellows becuase she had their personalities down to a T.

It is a pity there are not more of these home away from home kennels - all doggies should be pampered in style when you go on holiday.

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 michaelsu

Goffie wrote: »
    HI
    If you're interested in boarding your dog in a someone's home rather than kennels I can pm you the details of my dog walker who takes my westie when we go on hols (and I'm VERY fussy)

That way he's still in a home and he loves it there! He's big pals with her three dogs. She's in Bray.

Hi, could you please PM me the details of that person.

Michael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

Hi MichaelSu

I have PM'd you my details as I do boarding at home for dogs. I take them for a trial visit first before confirming, just to make sure they, you and I are all happy!
    Thanks

Harris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Happycat

Hi there,
    I recently had to board my 2 cats and my usual cattery was booked out and the lady who runs it strongly recommended me to go and see Sophisticats Cattery which is in Greystones. I rang them for a viewing and went to see it the same afternoon. The place is just outside Greystones in a beautiful setting in amongst trees and beside a little stream. The cattery is run by a qualified nurse and her husband who were really nice and we had a long chat about my cats requirements and knowing that the lady was a vet nurse really made me feel much happier to leave my cats with her, in case something went wrong in my absence. The cattery itself is brand new and really bright and warm. The cats all have their private little suites and evrything is clean, fresh and fun looking. When I was there they played LyricFM to the cats and meditation style music and all the cats were really chilled out. I left my 2 darlings with them for 2 weeks, even though I felt so bad to do that, but they have never come back as happy as from this place. They also sent me a text a day after I arrived at my holiday destination to let me know that my 2 cats had settled in nicely. I have them booked in again with them for September and I am really glad I found this place and can only recommend it to anybody.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kaiser2300

Hi, I read your reply and was very interested to hear about your dog minder. I was really hoping to find someone like her for my dogs. Would it be possible to have her number if you still have it? I don't really want to have my pets stuck in a cage while I'm away.

Regards,

Austin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 vicky doyle

I use a place in glenealy in wicklow 25mins from BRAY its called moggies and doggies motel great for cats they have an outdoor run looking out over a valley its just great lots of toys and the radio is on for them and she has the heat on its brill i leave my 2 furballs there and my dog goes there 2 he gets 2 walks a day in the woods its great value too 5star at 2star price !! she is very nice and open 7 days a week but shes get booked up as it is a small place but great i have booked in my 3 for the summer just to be sure:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭StargazerLily

We use Corncrake Kennels (NewtownMtKennedy address but actually around the corner from Roundwood Golf Club) and have never had any problems. I looked at other ones a few yrs ago in Wicklow and Bray and picked Corncrake as the dogs aren't in cages but purpose built stalls (plenty of space and you bring your dogs own bed so they are more secure) and they have several teenagers there who walk the dogs. Plenty of dog runs and they also keep track of when the dogs vacs are due.

Only criticism I'd have is that their opening hours aren't great so it can be a hassle getting the dog there on time and we did get caught out once when I forgot that they closed early and arrived at 4.30pm to drop him off and they were closed and they don't answer the phone after hrs.....we were heading to the airport.....we managed to organise a friend to help us but it was a huge hassle. My own fault though for not double checking the times.:confused:

Other than that I would recommend them and still use them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 reima

Could someone please tell me if they know of a dog sitter in Bray that I can leave my miniture with for a few nights over new year? Really need to get something sorted asap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dogyoungone

reima wrote: »
    Could someone please tell me if they know of a dog sitter in Bray that I can leave my miniture with for a few nights over new year? Really need to get something sorted asap!

Try Barbara at Yuppie Puppy outside Bray, on Greystones road. Her website is www.yuppiepuppie.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

As mentioned Yuppie Puppie would be well worth a try, my parents are super fussy and have only left their dog in kennels once in her 5 years at the time I couldn't take the dog so they had to and they were very happy with the whole set up and the dog was grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 finchway

Hey...

I'm heading away on 2 weeks hols and looking for a good Kennel to leave my 1 year old dog... Would anyone have any suggestions/experience with Kennels in the Bray area?

Thanks in advance
    hi. I see its a long time since you posted your question, but may be my reply might help someone in the same situation as yourself
    i left my dog a springer with a kennels in enniskerry over christmas 09. i am fussy and heard about this place from a friend. it was the nearest thing to a holiday adventure camp that i have seen for dogs. the kennels are set in the middle of a farm and the dogs spend hardly any time in a pen. when i arrived with coco i was meet by the owner and eight dogs playing and chasing a ball, all of them were off the lead. there are horses there also ponds and a huge area to run about in.i dont know if i will be struck off for naming the kennels, but here goes. beeches brook boarding kennels. if any one wants to talk through my experience send me a mail.
    finchway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 delany

I have to agree that Beeches Brook Boarding Kennels are 'out of this world'. First impressions are lasting, and Philip (the owner) certainly impressed. His welcome was so warm and reassuring, and his calm aura both with the dogs and ourselves made us all feel so much at home. All the dogs in the Kennels just seemed to adore his magnetic personality. The kennels were 5 star- spacious, homely, clean, manicured lawns and so relaxed. Our dogs didn't miss us when we were leaving (which is most unusual) and were reluctant to come home( we had to lift them into the car!). Since they have met Phillip, they are much calmer and more confident. Our dogs cant wait for their next holiday at Beeches Brook and we are so lucky to have found such a beautiful setting and owners! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 joeyspot

mags16 wrote: »
    Regarding the kennels mentioned on this thread, I left my little dog in one of them ( I won't say which one) for 4 days and she came out "as sick as a dog". It cost me a fortune in vet bills not to mention the emotional distress of it all. It may not have been the kennels' fault, she might have caught a bug from another dog. In future, I'll get someone to stay in the house with her.
    Hi
    Regarding dog kennels:
    Please for your dog's sake.
    always ask on the phone can you view the kennnels?
    Ask where are they walked?
    Do they have a vaccination policy?
    Can you collect or drop dogs off at unusual hour in an emergency?

If you get no as an answer to any of these queries then go elsewhere. I would recommend Ferns Kennels in Wexford or Kings kennels www.kingskennels.ie 040468807 in Glenealy. I have used both and would recommend them without hesitation.
    Regards
    Dog Strooler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jimoige

you might check www.pawshotel.ie ,i have read somewhere that they are really good..or just check http://www.boardingkennels.org/

HI JIMOIGE.
    THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY. I DONT SEE MYSELF LEAVING BEECHES BROOK BOARDING KENNELS AS THE SERVICE THEY OFFER OFFER ME AND MY MUT IS EVERY THING WE NEED. I THINK THE PROOF IS HOW HAPPY MY DOG IS WHEN I RETURN TO COLLECT HIM. I CANT GET HIM INTO THE CAR, AND WHEN WE ARRIVE AT THE GATE OF THE KENNELS HE CANT WAIT TO GET OUT. CHECK OUT THEIR WEB SITE AND SEE FOR YOUR SELF. bbboardingkennels.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jimoige

there is no photos on that web at all :-/

Hi jimoige. yes you are correct, what a shame as it is the business and a picture tell it all. what can i say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 philldoyle

delany wrote: »
    I have to agree that Beeches Brook Boarding Kennels are 'out of this world'. First impressions are lasting, and Philip (the owner) certainly impressed. His welcome was so warm and reassuring, and his calm aura both with the dogs and ourselves made us all feel so much at home. All the dogs in the Kennels just seemed to adore his magnetic personality. The kennels were 5 star- spacious, homely, clean, manicured lawns and so relaxed. Our dogs didn't miss us when we were leaving (which is most unusual) and were reluctant to come home( we had to lift them into the car!). Since they have met Phillip, they are much calmer and more confident. Our dogs cant wait for their next holiday at Beeches Brook and we are so lucky to have found such a beautiful setting and owners! :)

Have to say I can not believe that is an honest review! I have read it almost word for word across three sites. The only thing that changed was the calm aura was around Patricia in another one. Sorry I just hate when people post false reviews as it is not a genuine reflexion off the service as experienced by customers.

My personal take would be that magnetic philip, not so magnetic (but then again maybe I am just made of wood!). We asked should we bring his cage and bed as he is cage trained and PhiliP agreed that this relaxes dogs. When I arrived to collect him he was standing at the gate looking out. As soon as he got out he obviously thought it was the great escape and legged it until he saw me! Unfortunately he could not reach me due to the 5 huge dogs chasing him around my car. You can be sure that our dog had no problem leaving philip and Patricia as he was terrified of the big dogs who hit him with there paws. By the way, these are the same dogs displayed on the website playing in lush green fields. If this is what you expect... Don't as your dog will be kept in a .25 acre yard, half covered and not shown on the web site.

Anyway, when I got him in the car, Patricia brought me back to a stable where I had left the dogs cage and bed two days earlier. Obviously everyone that brought up beds were left in here and not given to the dogs. I asked was my dog not given his be and was told no he didnt need it. When I told her that we wanted him to settle in, she said that he had settled in really well in the first couPle of hours. Our dog has not left his bed for almost 24 hours and is moulting like crazy from stress. I know dogs often stay in their beds once the come home from a kennel but our dog just can't keep his eyes open. I have to wonder, if he slept at all and what type of bed he was given?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

I left my 4 dogs with Beeches Brook on 2 occasions in the last while.

1. Golden Retriever aged 5
    2. Pomeranian aged 4
    3. English setter aged 3 (nervous wreck)
    4. Collie/Lurcher x aged 6 months and leggy!

I am a dog minder myself and normally get someone to stay but I couldn't on these 2 occasions and anyway I thought it would do my dogs no harm to have a new experience. I was slightly nervous leaving the setter as he is kind of odd, but they told me they would ring if any problem, as I had a Plan B for him if needed. He settled in very well and has acted totally normally (for him!) since coming home, so no side effects!

I brought vet bed with me but ended up bringing it home as they have really good beds like those Fat Boy bean bags. Patricia told me they wash them at 90 degrees which must be practical and handy in a kennels. I was happy with the bed situation anyway.

When I collected them, the setter legged it into the car as quick as he could, but that is normal for him. The others were happy enough to come home, but I got the impression that they would quite happily have stayed longer! They were totally wrecked but as they are all under 5 and probably spent their time chasing and playing, that would be normal. I have to say I was really happy and would almost favour leaving them there, rather than getting a dog sitter in the next time.

PHILDOYLE: I can understand them not using your dog's bed, as sometimes when dogs came to stay with me, the beds ended up being used as tug of war toys, and getting destroyed. Also, kennels are not for every dog and some small breeds might fare better in home boarding.

Having said that, I think it's good to take your dogs out of their comfort zone every so often, and sending them to an adventure camp, which this certainly looked like from their point of view. They were all running around an enclosed field when I arrived.

In the past some owners have phoned me after their dog goes home from staying with me, to say that the dog is exhausted and subdued, but this is normally due to them missing their friends after a week of bonding and chasing, and also being tired.

I for one will definitely go back to Beeches Brook. There are so many bad bad nasty kennels out there, but this place is a find, and I really felt I had to describe my dogs' stay there, as I don't think it's fair to knock a place just because it didn't suit your dog.

P.S.-PhillDoyle - what breed of dog do you have and is it possible that it is naturally moulting as this is the time of year for it?? (I speak as a groomer!)

• Advertisement

I have been to a couple of kennels and my dog has come back fine. He interacts very well with other dogs.

My main point was that all the reviews written on this kennels that I mentioned were false and clearly wrote by someone close to the kennels. As for a cage... If you are told your dog can sleep in it and you go to the trouble of bringing it, he should be put in it!

My dog is fine in kennels and even the vet was supprised at how he was when he came back. Just giving an honest review!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I take back my comments about Yuppie Puppie, the first time my parents dog went there they were very happy so used it again, second time dog came back stinking to high heaven so bad she had to be washed twice.

hi i am finding it hard to use boards it me not boards fault can anyone help please keep it simple

hi i am finding it hard to use boards it me not boards fault can anyone help please keep it simple i but a reply up 2 days ago about a kennels called moggiesndoggies motel but cant fine it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Hi Vicky,

You only have 3 posts, all of them are on this thread. The 2 looking for help and one from a few years ago.

This is the one from a few years ago as I think it's the same place you're talking about.
    I use a place in glenealy in wicklow 25mins from BRAY its called moggies and doggies motel great for cats they have an outdoor run looking out over a valley its just great lots of toys and the radio is on for them and she has the heat on its brill i leave my 2 furballs there and my dog goes there 2 he gets 2 walks a day in the woods its great value too 5star at 2star price !! she is very nice and open 7 days a week but shes get booked up as it is a small place but great i have booked in my 3 for the summer just to be sure:)

It's on page 3 of this thread.

If you posted a couple of days ago it must not have posted properly as there's no record of it. If you click on your boards name then you will get a tab where you can select to see all of your posts.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Vicky Doyle this section will be of help to you in understanding how Boards works. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement