Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tomb of christ

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

robindch wrote: »
    As Wicknight says, creating false group memories within large groups is actually quite easy.

To pick some recent examples, it was done in Rwanda by the Radio des Milles Collines at the behest of the Rwandan government, in Serbia at the behest of the Yugoslav/Serbian government, and I've no doubt that something identical happened in the anti-christian Hindu riots in India that you posted about some months ago. There are many, many other examples and I'm really surprised that you don't seem to have realized this from your extensive study of history.

I'm not quite sure how you think the whipping up of genocidal hatred and spreading of propaganda equates to a group of people testifying that they witnessed, with their own eyes, Jesus being raised from the dead.

I have certainly read about Radio des Milles Collines, and have talked with those who heard its broadcasts, and do not recall any such implanting of false memories that could possibly be compared to the resurrection testimonies.

Also, Wicknight thinking he had met Mary Robinson, or people thinking they had shaken hands with Bugs Bunny, hardly equates to the kind of unshakeable belief that would cause someone to die rather than to deny their memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

As Wicknight says, creating false group memories within large groups is actually quite easy.

We know, look at any science class in the Western world. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

PDN wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure how you think the whipping up of genocidal hatred and spreading of propaganda equates to a group of people testifying that they witnessed, with their own eyes, Jesus being raised from the dead.

If it is possible for the human mind to generate, and accept, fake memories that lead to genocide, it is certainly not inconceivable to imagine the human mind generating fake memories that lead to belief in an after life, salvation and perfect happiness.

The fact that these people believed their memories to the point that they died rather than recant them is hardly surprising. Do you not believe your memories?

These people aren't given a choice what to believe. Their mind has subconsciously created these memories, and they are as real to them as any other memory.
    Also, Wicknight thinking he had met Mary Robinson, or people thinking they had shaken hands with Bugs Bunny, hardly equates to the kind of unshakeable belief that would cause someone to die rather than to deny their memory.

Well it is actually exactly the same, in so far as the underlying process (assuming of course fake memories is what explains these testimonies, which is one possibility).

As I said above, these people don't know before hand these memories are not real. They would appear as real as any other hazy memory. If you asked one of those eye witnesses to close his eyes and recall what he remembers he will remember Jesus sitting in at his table eating dinner. If you ask me to recall when I met Mary Robinson I can recall as vividly as any other memory for 15 years ago.

Saying that the memories don't equate is largely irrelevant. You are certainly correct that meeting Mary Robinson isn't the same as meeting Jesus, but then neither are the same as meeting Bugs Bunny. That isn't the point. This biological system of fake memories doesn't work on a system of discrimination, it doesn't go "well it is in bad taste to do this", or [/i]"well this is a religious topic, so better not touch that"[/i]

The point of all this is that it has been demonstrated numerous times that it is easy for the human mind to trick itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

wolfsbane wrote: »
    Depeche_Mode said:

You are mistaken.

Paul saw Christ as He was - risen from the dead, in His glorified body, just as the other apostles and 500+ saw Him. Paul in fact lists his sighting as the 'last' such.
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that He was seen by Cephas, then by the twelve. 6 After that He was seen by over five hundred brethren at once, of whom the greater part remain to the present, but some have fallen asleep. 7 After that He was seen by James, then by all the apostles. 8 Then last of all He was seen by me also, as by one born out of due time.

I'm sure you are in the minority in thinking that Paul claimed to witness a physical Jesus. In fact his emphasis on personal revelation makes him sound suspiciously gnostic. Paul shows an extremely limited knowledge of the life of Jesus and is pretty clear in his accounts that his encounter with Jesus was not a physical one.

That said I am tempted to agree with you in assuming that the sightings he mentions were of the same nature as his own, but that all these were only ever spiritual revelations.

Out of interest do you accept the accuracy of the memory of the author of the Gospel of Matthew who could recall the corpses of various dead saints rising from their graves and wandering around the streets of Jerusalem, an event not mentioned by anyone else, Christian or not.

In any event there is not too much evidence of eye witnesses being martyred. For example the only evidence for Peter being martyred comes from the gnostic Gospel of Peter. This gospel also contains accounts of talking dogs, flying wizards, and the resurrection of a tunafish. It also claims that Peter died for his belief in a spiritual resurrection and rejected a physical resurrection. The first martyr, Stephen, was not an eye witness to the resurrection (and never mentions in his speech before death a personal belief in any resurrection, just that he believed Jesus was the Messiah and was unjustly killed). Paul also was not an eye witness to the resurrection.

The fact of the matter is that it is not a great accomplishment for Christianity to have found a handful of people willing to die for the faith. In the 20th Century we had hundreds of people who died for their faith and their spiritual leader (who was also willing to die) in Jonestown.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

You seem to have missed the point of my post quite dramatically, so perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

It's relatively easy to implant false memories. Wicknight's example might be trivial, but it does show that a high percentage of people are susceptible, for example, to appropriate suggestion. With appropriate framing and emotional appeals of the kind that I added to Wicknight's example, the job becomes almost trivial.

And ignoring the intentional implantation of false memories, or the distinct possibility that the Corinthians text does not describe what happened, the text of course says nothing at all about the circumstances in which Jesus was seen after his death.

While in North Korea in 2005, I saw the Dear Leader being very much alive, despite persistent rumors at the time that he was dead. Granted the little guy was around 100m from me and frankly, it could have been a double, ghastly bouffant hairdo and all, but regardless of that, there were 90,000 North Koreans in the stadium with me who had no doubt that they were witnessing the arrival of their deity and, by golly, they made a noise to match.

Simply because somebody thinks they see something, does not mean that what they think they saw is real. Heavens, even Sai Baba, the famous Indian guru, has resurrected people from the dead in the last 50 years.

To paraphrase David Hume put it, what's more likely -- that the normal laws of biology and physics were suspended in a very spectacular way, or Paul didn't report reality accurately?
    Isn't it weird, don't you think, to believe that an idea is more credible, the more that other people are prepared to die because of it?

Do you also believe in the deity of Emperor Hirohito, given that so many Japanese died in the unshakeable belief that he was a god?

• Advertisement

Out of interest do you accept the accuracy of the memory of the author of the Gospel of Matthew who could recall the corpses of various dead saints rising from their graves and wandering around the streets of Jerusalem, an event not mentioned by anyone else, Christian or not.
    Yes, I do accept the accuracy of Matthew's Gospel on this point. Whether it was witnessed by Matthew himself, or whether the information was gathered from others (as with most history or biography) is not known.

However, I would make an important distinction here. Anyone who accepts Matthew's report of the dead rising and walking about does so purely on the grounds of their faith in the inspiration of Scripture. Anyone who is not already convinced of the veracity of the Gospels will probably reject the accuracy of Matthew at this point The evidence for the resurrection goes beyond that - there are many cases where historians and classical scholars have approached the subject with a sceptical view of Scripture, yet still find that the evidence in favour of the Resurrection is strong.
    In any event there is not too much evidence of eye witnesses being martyred. For example the only evidence for Peter being martyred comes from the gnostic Gospel of Peter. This gospel also contains accounts of talking dogs, flying wizards, and the resurrection of a tunafish. It also claims that Peter died for his belief in a spiritual resurrection and rejected a physical resurrection.
    This is getting boring. You have a habit of trying to cite works from early church history, yet you consistently manage to get it spectacularly wrong.

The Gospel of Peter does not mention Peter's martyrdom, nor does it
    mention any of the other things you mention. You can access an online translation of it here: http://www.cygnus-study.com/pagepet.html

You are probably thinking of The Acts of Peter, an extremely fanciful Gnostic work written about 200AD. This may be the origin of the notion that Peter was crucified upside down (although Eusebius quotes Origen as his source for this story). However, it is totally false to claim that this Gnostic work is the only evidence for Peter's martyrdom. It is not the only, nor indeed the earliest, evidence for that martyrdom.

In Clement's first letter to the Corinthians (96AD) he writes: "But not to dwell upon ancient examples, let us come to the most recent spiritual heroes. Let us take the noble examples furnished in our own generation. Through envy and jealousy the greatest and most righteous pillars [of the church] have been persecuted and put to death. Let us set before our eyes the illustrious apostles. Peter, through unrighteous envy, endured not one or two, but numerous labours; and when he had at length suffered martyrdom, departed to the place of glory due to him."

Peter's martyrdom is also referred to by Dionysius (180AD) and also by Tertullian (200AD).

Wicknight wrote: »
    The fact that these people believed their memories to the point that they died rather than recant them is hardly surprising. Do you not believe your memories?

As I said above, these people don't know before hand these memories are not real. They would appear as real as any other hazy memory. If you asked one of those eye witnesses to close his eyes and recall what he remembers he will remember Jesus sitting in at his table eating dinner. If you ask me to recall when I met Mary Robinson I can recall as vividly as any other memory for 15 years ago.

I do not believe that hazy memories from my childhood are infallible. In fact, I make a point of carefully checking such hazy memories with other witnesses before committing them to writing or mentioning them in a sermon. The literary structures and relationships of the various Gospels indicate that they were careful enough to do such checking.

In fact, the more serious the consequences of me being wrong about a memory - the more carefully I would check it. For example, I have often told my wife the story of how, as a 3 year old child, I learned about the death of my mother. However, when I knew that I would be asked about that incident as part of a TV documentary, I contacted one of my brothers to confirm the accuracy of my memory. This was because the consequences of being wrong (someone might accuse me of telling lies on TV) were more serious. If a situation arose where my life depended on the accuracy of that memory, then I would contact not only my brothers but also my Dad and any aunts etc that might have been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

The important point is that these people are not lying.

Ok so how do you explain the empty tomb? It must have been empty otherwise it would have been pretty easy to stop the preaching by just showing the Disciples the dead body of Jesus. Wouldn't that be the frist logical thing anyone would do who didn't want anyone preaching that Jesus rose from the dead?

The very first persecutions of the Disciples recorded were because they preached Jesus raised from the dead.

“And as they spake unto the people, the priests, and the captain of the temple, and the Sadducees, came upon them, Being grieved that they taught the people, and preached through Jesus the resurrection from the dead. And they laid hands on them, and put them in hold unto the next day: for it was now eventide.” Acts 4:1-3

The proof that the tomb was in fact empty is testified to by the fact that neither the Romans nor the Jews were able to convince the disciples that Jesus was actually still dead by producing the body. All anyone had to do to shut up the preaching was to produce the dead body of Jesus. If He didn’t actually raise as reported then this would have been easy to do wouldn’t it?

So the questions still remains: "If He didn’t actually rise then who took the body of Jesus?"

If the Romans took the body then they would have produced it for the Jews in order to shut up the preaching. The Romans submitted to the Jews request to seal the tomb so it also goes that they would have produced the body if requested too had they taken it.

If the Jews took the body then they definitively would have produced it in order to silence the preaching.

If it was all just innocent mass hallucinations then just show them the body.

If they were all having funny memory tricks played on them then just show them the body. Like the way I would say to you that you couldn’t have seen Bugs Bunny at Disneyland because Bugs Bunny is not a Disneyland character or you couldn’t have met Mary Robinson at your school because we have her entire presidential itinerary record in writing and it does not include your school at the time that you say.

If it was just an innocent case of the women who first reported the resurrection going to the wrong tomb then just show them the body from the right tomb.

And if it was the Disciples who took the body then they were liars who made the story up.

So who took the body?

The tomb was empty!!! That is born out by the facts in the story. How could it be empty if none of the above took the body including the disciples whom you say were not lying?

Do you still think they were not lying? If so then where did the body go?

To paraphrase David Hume put it, what's more likely -- that the normal laws of biology and physics were suspended in a very spectacular way, or Paul didn't report reality accurately?
    So, you have a pre-existing assumption that the normal laws of biology and physics can not be suspended in a spectacular way (an assumption that is based on your atheism). Therefore you reject every piece of evidence for the Resurrection on the grounds that it conflicts with your pre-existing assumption.

The Creationist has a pre-existing assumption that the Bible contains a literal and trustworthy account of the world being created in 6 days (an assumption that is based on his theism). Therefore he rejects every piece of evidence for evolution on the grounds that it conflicts with his pre-existing assumption.
    Isn't it weird, don't you think, to believe that an idea is more credible, the more that other people are prepared to die because of it?

Do you also believe in the deity of Emperor Hirohito, given that so many Japanese died in the unshakeable belief that he was a god?
    You really seem to be having difficulty with understanding this, don't you?

No-one is arguing that willingness to die for one's beliefs makes those beliefs true. However, such willingness to die does testify to the fact that the potential martyrs themselves actually believe what they are preaching.

The willingness of the Japanese to die for their beliefs is evidence for the historical fact that they were taught that Hirohito was God.

Ok so how do you explain the empty tomb? It must have been empty otherwise it would have been pretty easy to stop the preaching by just showing the Disciples the dead body of Jesus. Wouldn't that be the frist logical thing anyone would do who didn't want anyone preaching that Jesus rose from the dead?

You can explain an empty tomb or grave in any number of different ways that don't involve the dead coming back to life.

You are also making the mistake of assuming that the circumstances around the empty tomb are exactly as described in the Bible, which is quite an jump.

Imagine for a minute that there was actually a tomb but it was not sealed as described in the Bible. Anyone could have robbed the body of Jesus, and the followers could have interpreted the empty tomb as a sign. With this rumour spreading among the believers it is not inconceivable that "I saw him!" stories start to emerge, further reinforcing the idea that he rose from the dead.

Years later, to further justify the story of the resurrection, the detail of the huge stone that could not be moved, and the guards outside, could have been added. These are details that have never really sat right with a plausible explanation for how the Roman would have dealt with what they considered a rebel leader (a massive tomb, sealed, with guards?) but they do conveniently offer the resurrection as the only explanation.

I'm not saying that is how it happened, but it is certainly a plausible explanation
    The very first persecutions of the Disciples recorded were because they preached Jesus raised from the dead.
    A belief they could have sincerely held.
    The proof that the tomb was in fact empty is testified to by the fact that neither the Romans nor the Jews were able to convince the disciples that Jesus was actually still dead by producing the body.

What evidence do you have that they would have even tried?

What evidence do you have that the Romans and Jews were even aware that the Christians were now preaching this in a plausible time frame when they would produce the body.

The Romans were not in the habit of keeping bodies of dead criminals lying around on the off chance that the followers were going to claim he rose from the dead. Christianity at that time would have been very underground, it is doubtful that the Romans would have even been aware that the Christians were claiming Jesus was resurrected until much later.

Why would they have kept the body?

You are using hindsight to say that they would have keep the body because they would have found out some time in the future that the Christians were now claiming Jesus was resurrected and having the body would come in handy in proving them wrong. Which is nonsense.

Even if they did know they certainly weren't in the habit of attempting to reason with all the claims of all the cults and rebels that were around at that time, who they considered nut jobs. You would end up with a debate that makes the Creationist thread look tame.

It is simply nonsense to say that because the Romans didn't produce that body of Jesus that this is some how strong support that Jesus was resurrected. It ignores all the vast array of far more plausible explanations.
    So the questions still remains: "If He didn’t actually rise then who took the body of Jesus?"

That is certainly an interesting question (which does of course assume that everything up to that point in the story is accurate), but the possible explanations are long and many and all are more plausible than a dead man rising from the grave.

The body could have simply been stolen. Or the Romans may have taken it and simply thrown it to the wild dogs, as was common practice for crucified bodies. None f these explanations are any less plausible than the idea that a human rose from the dead.

• Advertisement

So, you have a pre-existing assumption that the normal laws of biology and physics can not be suspended in a spectacular way (an assumption that is based on your atheism).

I think it is more a case that this "assumption" is based on there never being any verifiable evidence of anyone, ever, suspending the laws of biology and physics in such a spectacular fashion.

If people rising from the dead was a daily occurrence it would certainly not be implausible to suggest that Jesus rose from the dead. But you may notice that people don't tend to rise from the dead.

People do though get things wrong, see things that aren't there, believe things that aren't true.

I would also point out that using Robin's atheist against him in this regard is rather silly,since your theism, and acceptance of supernatural events being possible, is based on your Christian faith in the first place, so it is circular reasoning to assume Jesus' resurrection is possible because you believe God, a belief itself that comes from Jesus' resurrection.
    Therefore you reject every piece of evidence for the Resurrection on the grounds that it conflicts with your pre-existing assumption.

He is merely stating that the other explanation (the one you are ignoring) is far more plausible, since as I said above, people tend not to rise from the dead, but people do tend to make mistakes and get things wrong.

Given the option between the two why would anyone pick the option that Jesus actually rose from the dead as being likely?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

So, you have a pre-existing assumption that the normal laws of biology and physics can not be suspended in a spectacular way (an assumption that is based on your atheism).
    No, you are quite wrong in this -- it's not 'based upon my atheism'. The fact that I don't believe that the christian god exists, and the fact that I don't believe that Jesus walked and talked after he was executed are entirely unrelated disbeliefs. Here is not the place for me to reiterate my reasons for refusing to accept the existence of the christian deity.

On the other hand, my rejection of the walking-and-talking-after Jesus' death is based upon my experience of the literature of the time which is full of similarly miraculous and bizarre tales, even in the text of writers who didn't have a stake in the truth of what they were writing; it's based upon the simple fact that many, many people have produced similar tales between then and now which I similarly reject, as I suspect you do too (remember my comment about Sai Baba and the resurrection he carried out? do you accept or reject this story?); it's also based upon my native suspicion of the self-supporting approach to truth that religions use. I could produce more reasons, if you like, but I think you get the idea.

Whereas you accept it as true -- uncritically as far as I can make out -- because it's written in a book.

Who's the one with the unlikely 'preexisting assumptions' here?
    No-one is arguing that willingness to die for one's beliefs makes those beliefs true.
    Indeed, and I have never said that they did :)
    However, such willingness to die does testify to the fact that the potential martyrs themselves actually believe what they are preaching
    And the deaths of the doomsday cult members in Jonestown members equally testifies to the fact that they at least some of them believed what they were preaching too, but I assume that you reject the species of christianity that they held to be true?

Why do you accept such testimony in the case of Paul, but reject it in the case of Jonestown?

And, for what it's worth, if somebody said to me that they were prepared to die for an idea, then generally, I would suspect that they were emotionally unstable and certainly not in a position to provide an unbiassed judgment of the truth or falsity of the proposition that they were apparently prepared to die for.

I do not believe that hazy memories from my childhood are infallible. In fact, I make a point of carefully checking such hazy memories with other witnesses before committing them to writing or mentioning them in a sermon.

There is no evidence at all that the members of the early church checked any of their beliefs with anyone outside of the church, nor is there any evidence that any of the resurrection story is confirmed by any source outside of the church. None of the details, such as the eclipse, or Jesus having a tomb, are recorded by any independent sources.

So who did they double check with?

Well that is so obvious one hardly needs to guess, they double checked with other believers.

"Did you see him?!", "Oh I did!", "He was wearing a blue cloak", "Wasn't it white?" "Oh yes, you are correct, it was white" That kinda thing

This is a phenomena found in religions and cults all over the world. The fact that you to double check all your memories with independent source is admirable (if a little implausible), but that would certainly not be standard behaviour for members of small religious groups or cults.

I would also imagine that you if you genuinely double checked all your memories independently of your own experience you either a) wouldn't be a Christian or b) would have found a way to demonstrated, independently to your own internal experience, the existence of God ... which would make an interesting paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Depeche_Mode said:
    I'm sure you are in the minority in thinking that Paul claimed to witness a physical Jesus. In fact his emphasis on personal revelation makes him sound suspiciously gnostic. Paul shows an extremely limited knowledge of the life of Jesus and is pretty clear in his accounts that his encounter with Jesus was not a physical one.
    Paul certainly doesn't discuss much of Jesus' life, focussing rather on His death and resurrection. That doesn't mean he didn't know it. He would have had eye witness accounts from the other apostles and Mark, as well as whatever Jesus told him in his conversion encounter.

As to the nature of that encounter, here's the testimony of Paul. Note the same kind of sighting is experienced by all:
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that He was seen by Cephas, then by the twelve. 6 After that He was seen by over five hundred brethren at once, of whom the greater part remain to the present, but some have fallen asleep. 7 After that He was seen by James, then by all the apostles. 8 Then last of all He was seen by me also, as by one born out of due time.
    That said I am tempted to agree with you in assuming that the sightings he mentions were of the same nature as his own, but that all these were only ever spiritual revelations.
    What kind of sighting was that? -
    2 Corinthians 5:16 Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer.

You can explain an empty tomb or grave in any number of different ways that don't involve the dead coming back to life.

Well that’s what I was asking for. The resurrection issue assumes the empty tomb to be fact. If the scripture is true then the first message of the Church was preached by Peter in Acts 2 and right there he was already preaching Christ raised from the dead so how you can imply that it was a later add on is beyond me. You see what you fail to realise is that your reasoning is based on the premise that “resurrections cannot happen” so on that basis you proceed to explain the resurrection story, and any other explanation other that the actual story given is a plausible explanation. Isn’t that the exact opposite of how scientists arrive at their conclusions? That everything must be tested as much as possible first before it can be discounted as not true?
    You are also making the mistake of assuming that the circumstances around the empty tomb are exactly as described in the Bible, which is quite an jump.

Not at all. All I need to know is are the disciples lying or telling the truth? The conclusion that they were in fact telling the truth can be arrived at when one reads the many books written on the subject. Books like: “Who moved the stone” by Frank Morrison, “The Trial of the witnesses by Thomas Sherlock and the one I’m reading at the moment which is “The Testimony of the Evangelists” by Professor Simon Greenleaf of Harvard University 1833-1848 who also wrote his three volume work, “A treatise on the Law of Evidence” which is considered a classic of the American jurisprudence and which forms his basis for his study of the Gospels.

He maintains that if the gospel accounts where to go on trial that no lawyer in the world would contest their admissibility as evidence. Professor Greenleaf was highly regarded as one the most important lawyers of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Here’s what The North American Review has to say about him: “It is the production of an able and profound lawyer, a man who has grown grey in the halls of justice and the schools of jurisprudence; a writer of the highest authority and legal subjects, whose life has been spent in weighing testimony and sifting evidence, and whose published opinions on the rules of evidence are received as authoritative in all the English and American tribunals; for fourteen years the highly respected colleague of the late Mr Justice Story, and also the honoured head of the most distinguished and prosperous school of English law in the world.”

And here’s what the London Law Magazine says about him:

“It is no mean honour to America that her schools of jurisprudence have produced two of the first writers and best esteemed legal authorities of this century-the great and good man, Judge Story, and his worthy and eminent associate, Professor Greenleaf. Upon the existing law of evidence (by Greenleaf) more light has shone from the new world than from all the lawyers who adorn the courts of Europe.”

It is intellectuals like this that have convinced me that the reporters of the resurrection where not lying or deluded when they wrote down their accounts. Hence Jesus rose and ascended as reported and if that’s all true then He’s also coming again. Simple really. It all hinges on the veracity of the reporters. Anyone who just doesn’t want to accept the story as true will forever be coming up with theories to explain the story. You’re trying to prove to me that the story is not true and you present various theories as plausible explanations, theories that contradict each other at times and none of which you ever say you believe in anyway. You just call them plausible explanations, but they are only plausible explanations if what is being explained is not true to begin with. You have still yet to establish that the story is not true on any other basis except the basis that you just don’t believe that it can happen by any stretching of man's limited apparatus.
    Imagine for a minute that there was actually a tomb but it was not sealed as described in the Bible. Anyone could have robbed the body of Jesus, and the followers could have interpreted the empty tomb as a sign. With this rumour spreading among the believers it is not inconceivable that "I saw him!" stories start to emerge, further reinforcing the idea that he rose from the dead.

You cannot escape the fact that Christianity has had a profound effect on the world for the last 2000 years or so. Granted a lot of evil has been done in its name in that time as has a lot of good but none of that makes any difference to the issue of whether Christ actually rose from the dead or not. If what you say is true then there is no way that Christianity could have had the effect it has had on history. There’s just not enough power there to get it off the ground in the first place.
    Years later, to further justify the story of the resurrection, the detail of the huge stone that could not be moved, and the guards outside, could have been added. These are details that have never really sat right with a plausible explanation for how the Roman would have dealt with what they considered a rebel leader (a massive tomb, sealed, with guards?) but they do conveniently offer the resurrection as the only explanation.

Just because the earliest extant manuscripts are dated to within 30 plus years of Christ death and resurrection does not prove that there was no earlier manuscripts in circulation before that time. Professor Greenleaf makes some interesting observations in the following: (yes I retyped it) :D

“Every document, apparently ancient, coming from the proper repository or custody, and bearing on its face no evident marks of forgery, the law presumes to be genuine and devolves on the opposing party the burden of proving it to be otherwise. An ancient document, offered in evidence in our courts is said to come from the proper repository, when it is found in the place where, and under the care of persons with whom, such writings might naturally and reasonably be expected to be found; for it is this custody which gives authenticity to documents found within it. If they come from such a place, and bear no evident marks of forgery, the law presumes that they are genuine and they are permitted to be read in evidence unless the opposing party is able successfully to impeach them. The burden of showing them to be false and unworthy of credit, is devolved on the party who makes that objection. The presumption of law is the judgement of charity. It presumes that every man is innocent until he is proved guilty; that everything has been done fairly and legally, until it is proved to have been otherwise; and that every document found in its proper repository and not bearing marks of forgery, is genuine. Now this is precisely the case with the Sacred Writings. They have been used in the Church from time immemorial, and thus are found in the place where alone they ought to be looked for. They come to us, and challenge our reception of them as genuine writings, precisely as Domesday Book, the Ancient Statutes of Wales, or any other of the ancient documents which have recently been published under the British Record Commission, are received. They are found in familiar use in all the Churches of Christendom, as the sacred books to which all denominations of Christians refer, as the standard of their faith. There is no pretence that they were engraven on plates of gold and discovered in a cave, nor that they were brought from heaven by Angels; but they are received as the plain narratives and writings of the men whose name they respectively bear, made public at the time they where written and though there are some slight discrepancies among the copies subsequentially made, there is no pretence that the originals were anywhere corrupted. If it be objected that the originals are lost, and that copies alone are now produced, the principles of the municipal law here also affords a satisfactory answer. For the multiplication of copies was a public fact, in the faithfulness of which all the Christian communities had an interest; and it is a rule of law, that: In matters of public and general interest, all persons must be presumed to be conversant, on the principle that individuals are presumed to be conversant with their own affairs. Therefore it is that, in such matters, the prevailing current of assertion is resorted to as evidence, for it is to this that every member of the community is supposed to be privy. The persons, moreover, who multiplied these copies, maybe regarded, in some manner, as the agents of the Christian public, for whose use and benefit the copies were made; and on the ground of the credit dew to such agents, and of the public nature of the facts themselves, the copies thus made are entitled to an extraordinary degree of confidence, and, as in the case of official registers and other public books, it is not necessary that they should be confirmed and sanctioned by the ordinary tests of truth. If any ancient document concerning our public rights were lost, copies which had been as universally received and acted upon as the Four Gospels have been, would have been received in evidence in any of our courts of justice, without the slightest hesitation. The entire text of the Corpus Jurus Civilis is received as authority in all the courts of continental Europe, upon much weaker evidence of its genuineness; for the integrity of the Sacred Texts has been preserved by the jealousy of opposing sects, beyond and moral possibility of corruption while that of the Roman Civil Law has been preserved by tacit consent without the interest of any opposing school, to watch over and preserve it from alteration.”

He goes on but you get the message.
    What evidence do you have that they would have even tried?

No evidence except the common sense that tells me that the body of such a controversial figure as Jesus would in no wise have been fed to the dogs by those in power who could have used it to put a stop to any future controversy in their realm which said controversy was the preaching of the resurrection of Jesus from the dead.
    What evidence do you have that the Romans and Jews were even aware that the Christians were now preaching this in a plausible time frame when they would produce the body.

They anticipated it before the resurrection remember. The Jews prevailed upon the Roman authorities to put a guard at His tomb so that the disciples couldn’t steal His body and then preach that He rose. They had more than a casual interest in making sure Jesus did not raise from the dead.
    The Romans were not in the habit of keeping bodies of dead criminals lying around on the off chance that the followers were going to claim he rose from the dead. Christianity at that time would have been very underground, it is doubtful that the Romans would have even been aware that the Christians were claiming Jesus was resurrected until much later.

Like I said they anticipated the preaching beforehand which is why they put a guard at His tomb. I’m not saying that because the tomb was empty that that proves He rose. I’m simply asking you to explain the empty tomb if neither the Jews, Romans nor the Disciples took the body. If someone else took the body then how did they get passed the guards? And considering the risks involved and the potential consequences what motive would these phantom robbers have in stealing the body? If the Romans just threw His body to the dogs then who gave the order to do it? The first preaching of Christ as the messiah was in Acts 2 which was at the feast of Pentecost, fifty days after the resurrection, the record is clear that the women who first reported the empty tomb did so on the day that He rose. And why did they take so long to start preaching if He was out of the tomb after three days assuming they had taken the body? Why wait fifty days? Why not just start preaching straight away? And if you are going to argue that it took them fifty days to think up the story then you are admitting that they are in fact liars. Plus even if they were smart enough to think the story up in the first place then they would not have included in their story that they started to preach fifty days after the resurrection because that inclusion just hurts their story. To me they just come off as simple minded reporters, reporting what they actually saw and experienced.

You are using hindsight to say that they would have keep the body because they would have found out some time in the future that the Christians were now claiming Jesus was resurrected and having the body would come in handy in proving them wrong. Which is nonsense.

No I’m not saying that at all. The Romans only needed to seal the tomb until the third day because that was the day that Jesus before His death prophesised He would rise. If they seal the tomb until the third day and nothing happens then they can publicly put down any subsequent resurrection preaching (which they anticipated) by showing off the body to everyone. “See here’s his body, he truly was a fraud.” That’s what I would have made sure of if I were one of the Jewish leaders. My bread and butter livelihood was at stake. A resurrection from the dead of somebody that I had condemned as a blasphemer would result in me looking for another job very quickly. Who would listen to my religious pronouncements after that? The Jewish leaders would have made sure that the body of Jesus was shown in public on the third day. And anybody who would have started preaching that He rose would quickly be laughed to scorn because everyone would have seen that His body was shown in public after the three days and nights prophesied by Jesus were completed.
    Even if they did know they certainly weren't in the habit of attempting to reason with all the claims of all the cults and rebels that were around at that time, who they considered nut jobs. You would end up with a debate that makes the Creationist thread look tame.

None of those so called nut jobs made the claims Jesus made or did the things Jesus did. Even Pilate could find no crime or malice in Him. There was probably a lot nut jobs and maybe Jesus was considered to be one of them, and He was one if the resurrection didn't happen, so only the resurrection from the dead could give validity to His extraordinary claims.
    It is simply nonsense to say that because the Romans didn't produce that body of Jesus that this is some how strong support that Jesus was resurrected. It ignores all the vast array of far more plausible explanations.

Well I never said that the Romans not producing the body was evidence that Jesus rose. All I was saying was if they had taken it they would have produced it, if not of their own accord then definitely at the behest of the Jewish leaders in order to put down any future resurrection preaching, which didn't start until Pentecost which was fifty days after First Fruits which is when Jesus rose.
    That is certainly an interesting question (which does of course assume that everything up to that point in the story is accurate), but the possible explanations are long and many and all are more plausible than a dead man rising from the grave.

Well I’m all ears. I would love to hear these plausible explanations. Like I said they are only plausible if He didn’t actually rise. And if He didn’t actually rise then He is either the greatest fraud to ever grace the bindings of sandals or the greatest megalomaniac in the history of the world. He cannot not be put in the category of Good and Wise Teacher but not supernatural as the academic world is eager to put Him. And if He is in fact good and wise then He must also be supernatural because the same source that make people call Him good and wise also has Him making supernatural claims about Himself that precludes the option that He was only good and wise but not supernatural. And if He was not in fact supernatural then He cannot be both of the others at the same time
    The body could have simply been stolen.

By who? How? Why?
    Or the Romans may have taken it and simply thrown it to the wild dogs, as was common practice for crucified bodies.

That might have happened after the third day because they would have already proven He was not who he said He was because His body was still in the tomb. The disciples would have been powerless to preach their story after such public humiliation of having Jesus body shown to everyone then thrown to the dogs. Think about it for a minute. If you were around in those days and seen this public humiliation would you believe the disciples fifty days later? Nobody would, and yet it states in Acts that 3000 people were born into the Church in the first day of preaching. Preachers who were cowering in fear only days before. They still needed the Holy Spirit to empower them to preach to the mocking mobs in Acts 2. Something cataclysmic happened that day because they were cowering in fear one minute and then preaching to mocking mobs the next.
    None f these explanations are any less plausible than the idea that a human rose from the dead.

He wasn’t merely human if He rose from the dead. I’m sorry if this conflicts with your scientific mind but you cannot get away from this earth shattering explosion onto the stage of history. It blows all known scientific ideas out of the window if it is true which is why atheistic scientific type people try so hard to discredit the reporters as being somewhat nutty and not to be respected. But if the likes of Professor Greenleaf can respect them as genuine then who am I to contend with the likes of him?

Ok, lets try and keep this as brief as possible
    You see what you fail to realise is that your reasoning is based on the premise that “resurrections cannot happen” so on that basis you proceed to explain the resurrection story, and any other explanation other that the actual story given is a plausible explanation.

No, my reasoning is based on the premise that people being mistaken, having false memories, or simply making stuff up is a far far more plausible explanation that a man rising from the dead.

People are wrong about supernatural events the believe have happened all the time. People tend not to rise from the dead.

Even if all this stuff actually happened as described as an observer 2000 years later it is still less plausible that a human being came back from the dead than people living 2000 years ago, in a culture seeped in superstition and belief in the supernatural, mistakenly though he did.

The rather amazing thing is that both you and PDN seem to be arguing the opposite. Which is quite bizarre.

Though it does go some what to explaining a possible mind set that the early Christians may have been in. Both yourself and PDN were raised in a world with great understand about biology and physics, where the supernatural is often dismissed as pure nonsense and where we have great understanding about the human brain and the tricks it can pull on itself.

And yet you both seem to think it is perfectly reasonable to propose that a man crucified on a cross was witnessed walking around days later. This doesn't seem to be implausible to you in the slightest, and you reject almost instantly any suggestion that those who claimed to witness this may have simply been mistaken or wrong.

If yourself and PDN can do this, educated modern fellows as you are, imagine how easy it would be for people living 2000 years ago, without any proper understand of biology and "educated" only a steady diet of supernatural as fact, to readily accept that their spiritual leader, their messiah, had not actually been caught and executed by the Romans, but had bested them all by rising from the dead.
    It is intellectuals like this that have convinced me that the reporters of the resurrection where not lying or deluded when they wrote down their accounts.
    Professor Greenleaf isn't exactly what I would call someone coming at this topic in a rational non-biased fashion.

Testimony of the Evangelists
    Simon Greenleaf
    "The proof that God has revealed himself to man by special and express communications, and that Christianity constitutes that revelation, is no part of these inquiries. This has already been shown, in the most satisfactory manner by others, who have written expressly upon this subject. Referring therefore to their writings for the arguments and proofs, the fact will here be assumed as true. That man is a religious being, is universally conceded, for it has been seen to be universally true."

Greenleaf has already entered as assumed the fact that God exists and Jesus was real. That is a rather large jump in making the plausibility of testimony.

Greenleaf also makes a key assumption, that

"In matters of public and general interest, all persons must be presumed to be conversant, on the principle that individuals are presumed to be conversant with their own affairs"

That assumption goes to the heart of this matter. If one assumes that all one has to do is demonstrate that a witness is not lying and one has demonstrated that what they are explaining is plausibly real, because like you it ignores that instance where a person believes they are telling the truth but their testimony does not in fact match what actually happened.

That might have held 150 years ago, when biological understand of the brain and things like memory were in their infancy, but it doesn't hold now.
    Hence Jesus rose and ascended as reported and if that’s all true then He’s also coming again. Simple really. It all hinges on the veracity of the reporters.
    No it doesn't, because it has been shown countless times since Greenleaf, that people will report supernatural events that did not happen as truth and more importantly believe themselves that what they are saying is true.

Greenleaf demonstrated that these authors probably believed what they were writing. He then assume that it therefore happened. That is faulty reasoning, which could be excused 150 years ago, but not today.
    Every document, apparently ancient, coming from the proper repository or custody, and bearing on its face no evident marks of forgery, the law presumes to be genuine and devolves on the opposing party the burden of proving it to be otherwise.

The issue of whether or not modern reproductions of the original New Testament are forged or not is irrelevant. I'm assuming they are not forged, as I'm sure you are. I'm also assuming the conservative Christian estimate that Acts dates to 30 years after Jesus' death, which could have been much later.

Like I said they anticipated the preaching beforehand which is why they put a guard at His tomb.

It is rather unlikely that he actually did preach beforehand that he rise, or that the Romans stationed 2 guards outside his tomb.
    If the Romans just threw His body to the dogs then who gave the order to do it?
    That was standard practice for crucifixion. In fact that was the point of crucifixion to stop burial as a method of dishonouring the dead as punishment.

It is rather implausible that if the Jews and the Romans want to make an example of Jesus they would allow him to be buried in a tomb in the first place. That would rather defeat the purpose of the crucifixion.

There is evidence that families bought the bodies back off the Romans and buried them, which would match the Biblical story, but I see little reason to believe that the Romans actually posted guards outside the tomb.
    Why wait fifty days? Why not just start preaching straight away?
    Well I imagine that if they were actually preaching from that point it was because it took them that long to come up with the concept that he was resurrected.

Think of it this way. You are a member of a small religious cult devoutly following your leader who claims to be the Jewish Messiah who will fulfil the Old Testament when all of a sudden he is taken away by the Roman's and executed. What do you do? You panic. Your whole belief system has been crushed. Your all powerful leader is now dead. How can this be? Not very all powerful.

And like all good true believers you refuse to except the most likely explanation that he wasn't in fact all powerful and latch on to the idea that this was all part of his plan. And low and behold for some reason his body is gone. What does that mean! Ah ha! He must have resurrected himself.
    No I’m not saying that at all. The Romans only needed to seal the tomb until the third day because that was the day that Jesus before His death prophesised He would rise.

And you know Jesus prophesied his resurrection in 3 days because ... ?

If the Romans and Jews wanted to demonstrate he wasn't going to rise from the dead they would have left him on the cross to rot. It is much more likely that this little detail was added to the story after he was crucified when the followers were trying to find figure out what his death meant.

This is given support by the contradiction in the stories.

The prophecy of rising after 3 days is found in Mark, Matthew and Luke, which are all similar and probably based on the same source. It isn't found in John, and in fact John explicitly mentions that the disciples didn't realise that Jesus was to rise until after he did.

Of some significance the guards are not mentioned in John either, and the disciples appear bewildered when Jesus goes missing. Why are they bewildered if Jesus told them just a few days ago that he would rise from the dead on the third day (was it on the third day or after three days?)

So what do we have, we have the story of the 3rd day resurrection coupled with the posting of the guards. And in John we find neither. No prophecy, no guards.
    None of those so called nut jobs made the claims Jesus made or did the things Jesus did.
    You keep stating that and people keep giving you counter examples. There were Jewish rebel leaders claiming to be the Messiah who lead large groups of Jews in rebellion against the Roman forces, which was significantly more than what Jesus managed.

It is telling that hardly any record of Jesus, the feared Messiah, even existing is present in non-Christian records.
    Well I never said that the Romans not producing the body was evidence that Jesus rose. All I was saying was if they had taken it they would have produced it, if not of their own accord then definitely at the behest of the Jewish leaders in order to put down any future resurrection preaching, which didn't start until Pentecost which was fifty days after First Fruits which is when Jesus rose.

It is pretty difficult to get back a body you have thrown to wild animals 50 days later so you can prove to a religious cult that their lead was actually carried off by wild dogs.
    By who? How? Why?
    By anyone who wanted to steal it. Bodies were stolen all the time. If Jesus was crucified and then buried in a tomb that demonstrates significant wealth behind such an act. That gives motive to steal from the tomb.
    Nobody would, and yet it states in Acts that 3000 people were born into the Church in the first day of preaching.

First of all, that assume everyone in Jerusalem saw Jesus being crucified. Which is nonsense. Jesus was just one of a handful of criminals executed that week.

Secondly on what basis do you assume Acts is in anyway accurate?
    He wasn’t merely human if He rose from the dead.
    It is highly implausible that he rose from the dead. It is highly implausible that anyone rises from the dead.

To say it isn't because he was a god is circular reasoning because you only think he was a god in the first place because of the claim that he rose from the dead. You can't demonstrate he is a god until you demonstrate he rose from the dead. So start off with the position that he wasn't a god. Now, how plausible is it that he rose from the dead?

I'm curious why you ignore the most plausible explanation?
    It blows all known scientific ideas out of the window if it is true
    Which is a very very good reason to think it in all likelihood isn't true.

No, my reasoning is based on the premise that people being mistaken, having false memories, or simply making stuff up is a far far more plausible explanation that a man rising from the dead.

You still abiding in your comfort zone of “resurrection can’t occur so therefore they didn't occur and anyone who reports that they do occur is a bad reporter because resurrections can’t occur and therefore didn’t occur so anyone reporting etc etc etc…” Circular reasoning which you hate so much? I think so.
    People are wrong about supernatural events the believe have happened all the time. People tend not to rise from the dead.

Yes people don’t generally rise from the dead but we are not talking about some normal everyday average Joe here are we? We are talking about a person who went around making ridiculous claims about Himself. The only thing that can verify these claims is the claim that He would rise from the dead. Just because Science cannot explain it doesn’t mean that it didn’t happen. You put too much FAITH in science. Science which you readily admit in other discussions hasn’t go the answers to everything. I’m not out trying to look better or smarter than you on an Internet forum Wick, I’m trying to get a point across that you flat out refuse to even look at. Of course resurrections can’t occur by any method known to man but we are not talking about the power man here. You hold everything up to the litmus paper of science and if it doesn’t turn a certain colour then it’s not such and such and element. Maybe this is this is an element that you have not encountered before, ever think of that?
    Even if all this stuff actually happened as described as an observer 2000 years later it is still less plausible that a human being came back from the dead than people living 2000 years ago, in a culture seeped in superstition and belief in the supernatural, mistakenly though he did.

Here’s what Professor Greenleaf has to say about the reporters, its long but worth the read if one wants to gain an understanding into the actual mind set of the reporters. And I didn’t retype it this time I actually found the text on line :D

“The credit due to the testimony of witnesses depends upon, firstly, their honesty; secondly, their ability; thirdly, their number and the consistency of their testimony; fourthly, the conformity of their testimony with experience; and fifthly, the coincidence of their testimony with collateral circumstances.
    Let the evangelists be tried by these tests.

And first, as to their honesty. Here they are entitled to the benefit of the general course of human experience, that men ordinarily speak the truth, when they have no prevailing motive or inducement to the contrary. This presumption, to which we have before alluded, is applied in courts of justice, even to witnesses whose integrity is not wholly free from suspicion; much more is it applicable to the evangelists, whose testimony went against all their worldly interests. The great truths which the apostles declared, were that Christ had risen from the dead, and that only through repentance from sin, and faith in him, could men hope for salvation. This doctrine they asserted with one voice, everywhere, not only under the greatest discouragements, but in the face of the most appalling terrors that can be presented to the mind of man. Their master had recently perished as a malefactor, by the sentence of a public tribunal. His religion sought to overthrow the religions of the whole world. The laws of every country were against the teaching of his disciples. The interests and passions of all the rulers and great men in the world were against them. The fashion of the world was against them. Propagating this new faith, even in the most inoffensive and peaceful manner, they could expect nothing but contempt, opposition, revilings, bitter persecutions, stripes imprisonments, torments and cruel deaths. Yet this faith they zealously did propogate; and all these miseries they endured undismayed, nay, rejoicing. As one after another was put to a miserable death, the survivors only prosecuted their work with increased vigor and resolution. The annals of military warfare afford scarcely an example of the like heroic constancy, patience and unblenching courage. They had every possible motive to review carefully the grounds of their faith, and the evidences of the great facts and truths which they asserted; and these motives were pressed upon their attention with the most melancholy and terrific frequency. It was therefore impossible that they could have persisted in affirming the truths they have narrated, had not Jesus actually rose from the dead, and had they not known this fact as certainly as they knew any other fact. If it were morally possible for them to have been deceived in this matter, every human motive operated to lead them to discover and avow their error. To have persisted in so gross a falsehood, after it was known to them, was not only to encounter, for life, all the evils which man could inflict, from without, but to endure also the pangs of inward and conscious guilt; with no hope of future peace, no testimony of a good conscience, no expectation of honor or esteem among men, no hope of happiness in this life, or in the world to come.

Such conduct in the apostles would moreover have been utterly irreconcilable with the fact, that they possessed the ordinary constitution of our common nature. Yet their lives do show them to have been men like all others of our race; swayed by the same motives, animated by the same hopes, affected by the same joys, subdued by the same sorrows, agitated by the same fears, and subject to the same passions, temptations and infirmities, as ourselves. And their writings show them to have been men of vigorous understandings. If then their testimony was not true, there was no possible motive for this fabrication.

It would also have been irreconcilable with the fact that they were good men. But it is impossible to read their writings, and not feel that we are conversing with men eminently holy, and of tender consciences, with men acting under an abiding sense of the presence and omniscience of God, and of their accountability to him, living in his fear, and walking in his ways. Now, though, in a single instance, a good man may fall, when under strong temptations, yet he is not found persisting, for years, in deliberated falsehood, asserted with the most solemn appeals to God, without the slightest temptation or motive, and against all the opposing interests which reign in the human breast. If, on the contrary, they are supposed to have been bad men, it is incredible that such men should have chosen this form of imposture; enjoining, as it does, unfeigned repentance, the utter forsaking and abhorrence of all falsehood and of every other sin, the practice of daily self-denial, self-abasement and self-sacrifice, the crucifixion of the flesh with all its earthly appetites and desires, indifference to the honors, and hearty contempt of the vanities of the world; and inculcating perfect purity of heart and life, and intercourse of the soul with heaven. It is incredible, that bad men should invent falsehoods, to promote the religion of the God of truth. The supposition is suicidal. If they did believe in a future state of retribution, a heaven and a hell hereafter, they took the most certain course, if false witnesses, to secure the latter for their portion. And if, still being bad men, they did not believe in future punishment, how came they to invent which was to destroy all their prospects of worldly honor and happiness, and to insure their misery in this life? From these absurdities there is no escape, but in the perfect conviction and admission that they were good men, testifying to that which they had carefully observed and considered, and well knew to be true.

In the second place, as their ability. The text writer before cited observes, that the ability of a witness to speak the truth, depends on the opportunities which he has had for observing the fact, the accuracy of his powers of discerning, and the faithfulness of his memory in retaining the facts, once observed and known. Of the latter trait, in these witnesses, we of course know nothing; nor have we any traditionary information in regard to the accuracy of their powers of discerning. But we may well suppose that in these respects they were like the generality of their countrymen, until the contrary is shown by an objector. it is always to be presumed that men are honest, and of sound mind, and of the average and ordinary degree of intelligence. This is not the judgment of mere charity; it is also the uniform presumption of the law of the land; a presumption which is always allowed freely and fully to operate, until the fact is shown to be otherwise, by the party who denies the applicability of this presumption to the particular case in question. Whenever an objection is raised in opposition to ordinary presumptions of law, or to the ordinary experience of mankind, the burden of proof is devolved on the objector, by the common and ordinary rules of evidence, and of practice in courts. No lawyer is permitted to argue in disparagement of the intelligence or integrity of a witness, against whom the case itself afforded no particle of testimony. This is self afforded in particle of testimony. This is sufficient for our purpose, in regard to these witnesses. But more than this is evident, from the minuteness of their narratives, and from their history. Matthew was trained, by his calling, to habits of severe investigation and suspicious scrutiny; and Luke's profession demanded an exactness of observation equally close and searching. The other two evangelists, it has been well remarked, were as much too unlearned to forge the story of their Master's Life, as these were too learned and acute to be deceived by any imposture.

In the third place, as to their number and the consistency of their testimony. The character of their narratives is like that of all other true witnesses, containing, as Dr. Paley observes, substantial truth, under circumstantial variety. There is enough of discrepancy to show that there could have been no previous concert among them; and at the same time such substantial agreement as to show that they all were independent narrators of the same great transaction, as the events actually occurred. That they conspired to impose falsehood upon the world is, moreover, utterly inconsistent with the supposition that they were honest men; a fact, to the proofs of which we have already adverted. But if they were bad men, still the idea of any conspiracy among them is negatived, not only by the discrepancies alluded to, but by many other circumstances which will be mentioned hereafter; from all which, it is manifest that if they concerted a false story, they sought to its accomplishment by a mode quite the opposite to that which all others are found to pursue, to attain the same end. On this point the profound remark of an eminent writer is to our purpose; that "in a number of concurrent testimonies, where there has been no previous concert, there is a probability distinct from that which may be termed the sum of the probabilities resulting from the testimonies of the witnesses; a probability which would remain, even though the witnesses were of such a character as to merit no faith at all. This probability arises from the concurrence itself. That such a concurrence should spring from chance, is as one to infinite; that is, in other words, morally impossible. If therefore concert be excluded, there remains no cause but the reality of the fact.

The discrepancies between the narratives of the several evangelists, when carefully examined, will not be found sufficient to invalidate their testimony. Many seeming contradictions will prove, upon closer scrutiny, to be in substantial agreement; and it may be confidently asserted that there are none that will not yield, under fair and just criticism. If these different accounts of the same transactions were in strict verbal conformity with each other, the argument against their credibility would be much stronger. All that is asked for these witnesses is, that their testimony may be regarded as we regard the testimony of men in the ordinary affairs of life. This they are justly entitled to; and this no honorable adversary can refuse. We might, indeed, take higher ground than this, and confidently claim for them the serverest scrutiny; but our present purpose is merely to try their veracity by the ordinary tests of truth, admitted in human tribunals.

If the evidence of the evangelists is to rejected because of a few discrepancies among them, we shall be obliged to discard that of many of the contemporaneous histories on which we are accustomed to rely. Dr. Paley has noticed the contradiction between Lord Clarendon and Burnett and others in regard to Lord Strafford's execution; the former stating that he was condemned to be hanged, which was done on the same day; and the latter all relating that on a Saturday he was sentenced to the block, and was beheaded on the following Monday. Another striking instance of discrepancy has since occurred, in the narratives of the different members of the royal family of France, of their flight from Paris to Varennes, in 1792. These narratives, ten in number, and by eyewitnesses and personal actors in the transactions they relate, contradict each other, some on trivial and some on more essential points, but in every case in a wonderful and inexplicable manner. Yet these contradictions do not, in the general public estimation, detract from the integrity of the narrators, nor from the credibility of their relations. In the points in which they agree, and which constitute the great body of their narratives, their testimony is of course not doubted; where they differ, we reconcile them as well as we may; and where this cannot be done at all, we follow that light which seems to us the clearest. Upon the principles of the skeptic, we should be bound utterly to disbelieve them all. On the contrary, we apply to such cases the rules which, in daily experience, our judges instruct juries to apply, in weighing and reconciling the testimony of different witnesses; and which the courts themselves observe, in comparing and reconciling different and sometimes discordant reports of the same decisions. This remark applies especially to some alleged discrepancies in the reports which the several evangelists have been of the same discourses of our Lord.

In the fourth place, as to the conformity of their testimony with experience. The title of the evangelists to full credit for veracity would be readily conceded by the objector, if the facts they relate were such as ordinarily occur in human experience, and on this circumstance an argument is founded against their credibility. Miracles, say the objectors, are impossible; and therefore the evangelists were either deceivers or deceived; and in either case their narratives against the possibility of miracles, was founded on the board and bold assumption that all things are governed by immutable laws, or fixed modes of motion and relation, termed the laws of nature, by which God himself is of necessity bound. This erroneous assumption is the tortoise, on which stands the elephant which upholds his system of atheism. He does not inform us who made these immutable laws, nor whence they derive their binding force and irresistible operation. The argument supposes that the creator of all things first made a code of laws, and then put up out of his own power to change them. The scheme of Mr. Hume is but another form of the same error. He deduces the existence of such immutable laws from the uniform course of human experience. This, he affirms, is our only guide in reasoning concerning matters of fact; and whatever is contrary to human experience, he pronounces incredible. Without stopping to examine the correctness of this doctrine, as a fundamental principle in the law of evidence, it is sufficient in this place to remark, that it contains this fallacy: it excludes all knowledge derived by inference or deduction from facts, confining us to what we derive from experience alone, and thus depriving us of any knowledge, or even rational belief, or the existence or character of God. Nay more, it goes to prove that successive generations of men can make no advancement in knowledge, but each must begin de novo, and be limited to the results of his own experience. But if we may infer, from what we see and know, that there is a Supreme Being, by whom this world was created, we may certainly, and with equal reason, believe him capable of works which we have never yet known him to perform. We may fairly conclude that the power which was originally put forth to create the world is still constantly and without ceasing exerted to sustain it; and that the experienced connection between cause and effect is but the uniform and constantly active operation of the finger of God. Whether this uniformity of operation extends to things beyond the limits of our observation, is a point we cannot certainly know. Its existence in all things that ordinarily concern us may be supposed to be ordained as conducive to our happiness; and if the belief in a revelation of peace and mercy from god is conducive to the happiness of man, it is not irrational to suppose that he would depart from his ordinary course of action, in order to give it such attestations as should tend to secure that belief. "A miracle is improbable, when we can perceive no sufficient cause, in reference to his creatures, why the Deity should not vary his modes of operation; it ceases to be so, when such cause is assigned."

But the full discussion of the subject of miracles forms no part of the present design. Their credibility has been fully established, and the objections of skeptics most satisfactorily met and overthrown, by the ablest writers of our own day, whose works are easily accessible. Thus much, however, may here be remarked; that in almost every miracle related by the evangelists, the facts, separately taken, were plain, intelligible, transpiring in public, and about which no person of ordinary observation would be like to mistake. Persons blind or cripple, who applied to Jesus for relief, were known to have been crippled or blind for many years; they came to be cured; he spake to them; they went away whole. Lazarus had been dead and buried four days; Jesus called him to come forth from the grave; he immediately came forth, and was seen alive for a long time afterwards. In every case of healing, the previous condition of the sufferer was known to all witnessed the act of Jesus in touching him, and heard his words. All these, separately considered, were facts, plain and simple in their nature, easily seen and fully comprehended by persons of common capacity and observation. If they were separately testified to, by different witnesses of ordinary intelligence and integrity, in any court of justice, the jury would be bound to believe them; and a verdict, rendered contrary to the uncontradicted testimony of credible witnesses to any of these plain facts, separately taken, would be liable to be set aside, as a verdict against evidence. If one credible witness testified to the fact, that Bartimeus was blind, according to the uniform course of administering justice, this fact would be taken as satisfactorily proved. So also, if his subsequent restoration to sight were the sole fact in question, this also would be deemed established, by the like evidence. Nor would the rule of evidence be at all different, if the fact to be proved were the declaration of Jesus, immediately preceding his restoration to sight, that his faith had made him whole. In each of these cases, each isolated fact was capable of being accurately observed, and certainly known; and the evidence demands our assent, precisely as the like evidence upon any other indifferent subject. The connection of the word or the act of Jesus with the restoration of the blind, lame and dead, to sight, and health, and life, as cause and effect, is a conclusion which our reason is compelled to admit, from the uniformity of their concurrence, in such a multitude of instances, as well as from the universal conviction of all, whether friends or foes, who beheld the miracles which he wrought. Indeed, if the truth of one of the miracles is satisfactorily established, our belief cannot reasonably be withheld from them all. This is the issue proposed by Dr. Paley, in regard to the evidence of the death of Jesus upon the cross, and his subsequent resurrection, the truth of which he has established in an argument incapable of refutation.

In the fifth place, as to the coincidence of their testimony with collateral and contemporaneous facts and circumstances. After a witness is dead, and his moral character is forgotten, we can ascertain it only by a close inspection of his narrative, comparing its details with each other, and with contemporary accounts and collateral facts. This test is much more accurate than may at first be supposed. Every event which actually transpires, has its appropriate circumstances, of which the affairs of men consist; it owes its origin to the events which have preceded it, is intimately connected with all and often with those of remote regions, and in its turn gives birth to numberless others which succeed. In all this almost inconceivable contexture, and seeming discord, there is perfect harmony; and while the fact, which really happened, tallies exactly with every other contemporaneous incident, related to it in the remotest degree, it is not possible for the wit of man with the actual occurrences of the same time and place, may not be shown to be false. Hence it is, that a false witness will not willingly detail any circumstances, in which his testimony will be open to contradiction, nor multiply them where there is danger of his being detected by a comparison of them with other accounts, equally circumstantial. He will rather deal in general statements and broad assertions; and if he finds it necessary for his purpose to empty names and particular circumstances in his story, he will endeavor to invent such as shall be out of the reach of all opposing proof; and he will be the most forward and minute in details, where he knows that any danger of contradiction is least to be apprehended. Therefore it is, that variety and minuteness of detail are usually regarded as certain tests of sincerity, if the story, in the circumstances related, is of a nature capable of easy refutation if it were false.

The difference, in the detail of circumstances, between artful or false witnesses and those who testify the truth, is worthy of especial observation. The former are often copious and even profuse in their statements, as far as these may have been previously fabricated, and in relation to the principal matter; but beyond this, all will be reserved and meager, from the fear of detection. Every lawyer knows how lightly the evidence of a non-mi-recordo witness is esteemed. The testimony of false witnesses will not be uniform in its texture, but will not be uniform in its texture, but will be unequal, unnatural, and inconsistent. On the contrary, in the testimony of true witnesses there is a visible and striking naturalness of manner, and an unaffected readiness and copiousness in the detail of circumstances, as well in one part of the narrative as another, and evidently without the least regard either to the facility or difficulty of verification or detection. It is easier, therefore, to make out the proof of any fact, if proof it may be called, by suborning one or more false witnesses, to testify directly to the matter in question, than to procure an equal number to testify falsely to such collateral and separate circumstances as will, without greater danger of detection, lead to the same false result. The increased number of witnesses to circumstances, and the increased number of the circumstances themselves, all tend to increase the probability of detection if the witnesses are false, because thereby the points are multiplied in which their statements may be compared with each other, as well as with the truth itself, and in the same proportion is increased the danger of variance and inconsistency. Thus the force of circumstantial evidence is found to depend on the number of particulars involved in the narrative; the difficulty of fabricating them all, if false, and the great facility of detection; the nature of the circumstances to be compared, and from which the intricacy of the comparison; the number of the intermediate steps in the process of deduction; and the circuitry of the investigation. The more largely the narrative partakes of these characters, the further it will be found removed from all suspicion of contrivance or design, and the more profoundly the mind will repose on the conviction of its truth.”

Sorry to land all that on you but it is very relevant to our discussion. It really does boil down to the veracity of the reporters. You are free to disbelieve them if you want to, that is your right, but if you are going to convince me that resurrections can’t ever occur by any means even outside of man’s present understanding of things then you will have to come up with an argument as detailed and concise as Professor Greenleaf has to the contrary. Not that his synopsis proves that Christ actually rose but at least he drags the Evangelists out from the ‘guilty until proven innocent’ status that have held for too long and gives their account some dignity and respect as valid reporters. It is up to those who would object to this who have the burden of proof to the contrary and I’m all ears.

The rather amazing thing is that both you and PDN seem to be arguing the opposite. Which is quite bizarre.

Though it does go some what to explaining a possible mind set that the early Christians may have been in. Both yourself and PDN were raised in a world with great understand about biology and physics, where the supernatural is often dismissed as pure nonsense and where we have great understanding about the human brain and the tricks it can pull on itself.

I can only point you to Professor Greenleaf’s comments above regarding our understanding of the world: “Miracles, say the objectors, are impossible; and therefore the evangelists were either deceivers or deceived; and in either case their narratives against the possibility of miracles, was founded on the board and bold assumption that all things are governed by immutable laws, or fixed modes of motion and relation, termed the laws of nature, by which God himself is of necessity bound. This erroneous assumption is the tortoise, on which stands the elephant which upholds his system of atheism. He does not inform us who made these immutable laws, nor whence they derive their binding force and irresistible operation.”
    And yet you both seem to think it is perfectly reasonable to propose that a man crucified on a cross was witnessed walking around days later. This doesn't seem to be implausible to you in the slightest, and you reject almost instantly any suggestion that those who claimed to witness this may have simply been mistaken or wrong.

Of course it’s implausible and impossible and ridiculous to assume that such a thing can happen but we only have the veracity of the reporters to go by when it comes to this incredible profession. A profession that has been with us now for over 2000 years and the longer it continues with us the more ridiculous it appears to be to discredit it outright without a thorough in-depth look into the reporter’s testimony. Only then can one come away with any kind of sensible insight as to their motives and end game. The problem is that nobody who has already made their minds up on the subject based on outside factors will ever look at it with any kind of neutrality, they will always start out with the a-priori assumption that these things cannot happen so no amount of reading will convince them otherwise. Even if I were completely deluded by this “fable” as you would call it, then it still leaves you with a problem when it comes to seriously studying a subject and basing your conclusions on a solidly founded understanding of the facts as they are presented to you. You have held the Evangelists guilty until proven innocent. You have assumed them to be wrong before weighing up the evidence. That cannot not be a good basis for disbelieving their report.
    If yourself and PDN can do this, educated modern fellows as you are, imagine how easy it would be for people living 2000 years ago, without any proper understand of biology and "educated" only a steady diet of supernatural as fact, to readily accept that their spiritual leader, their messiah, had not actually been caught and executed by the Romans, but had bested them all by rising from the dead.

Your cocktail of flattery followed by putdown doesn’t impress me one bit. I’m not as educated as you might think. I’m no dummy but I’m of only average intelligence I can assure you. People living 2000 years ago must be assumed to have had moderate intelligence and only if you have proof to the contrary can you put them in the category of lesser beings intellectually. I would contend if anything that they would have been of superior wisdom and intelligence than we are today. Okay they didn’t have the technological advances that we have to today but seriously does that really make them the intellectual lesser?
    Professor Greenleaf isn't exactly what I would call someone coming at this topic in a rational non-biased fashion.

Testimony of the Evangelists
    Simon Greenleaf
    "The proof that God has revealed himself to man by special and express communications, and that Christianity constitutes that revelation, is no part of these inquiries. This has already been shown, in the most satisfactory manner by others, who have written expressly upon this subject. Referring therefore to their writings for the arguments and proofs, the fact will here be assumed as true. That man is a religious being, is universally conceded, for it has been seen to be universally true."

All he’ is saying there is that he’s not out to convince people that God exists, rather he is simply presenting the Evangelists as credible reporters and until somebody can come along and prove them other wise with strong evidence then their testimony will be heard. Like any court in the land would do.

Greenleaf has already entered as assumed the fact that God exists and Jesus was real. That is a rather large jump in making the plausibility of testimony.

Yeah I know what you mean, reminds me of those who without any tangible proof assume that God doesn’t exist and therefore base all their arguments around that. Works both ways. If you can come up with strong evidence that the reporters testimony is in admissible as evidence then let us have it.
    Greenleaf also makes a key assumption, that

"In matters of public and general interest, all persons must be presumed to be conversant, on the principle that individuals are presumed to be conversant with their own affairs"

That assumption goes to the heart of this matter. If one assumes that all one has to do is demonstrate that a witness is not lying and one has demonstrated that what they are explaining is plausibly real, because like you it ignores that instance where a person believes they are telling the truth but their testimony does not in fact match what actually happened.

What else would we need? I mean let us assume that your child came home from school one day with a bloody nose and you asked the child what happened and he says that some bullies attacked him, you would believe him right? Until you went out and found the boy responsible and heard the other side of the story from the so called bully who tells you that it was in fact your son who started the fight by calling the so called bully names. There are witnesses who verify this and then you ask your son is this true and he says yes Dad. Then you have the whole story. In relation to the Evangelists testimony where is the testimony of the others who contradict it? Where are their ancient manuscripts? Where is the proof that their accounts are inadmissible as evidence?
    That might have held 150 years ago, when biological understand of the brain and things like memory were in their infancy, but it doesn't hold now.

So we understand everything about the brain now do we? Science has all the answer to all the questions now? No mysteries anymore? Where’s the fun in that? :D

No it doesn't, because it has been shown countless times since Greenleaf, that people will report supernatural events that did not happen as truth and more importantly believe themselves that what they are saying is true.

So all claims of current supernatural events that have been proved wrong is proof that the supernatural claims of the New Testament are also false? How can you draw that conclusion? Sounds like someone saying “A man has two legs. This has two legs, therefore it is a man. No it is in fact a chicken.” I think they call it rhetoric.
    Greenleaf demonstrated that these authors probably believed what they were writing. He then assume that it therefore happened. That is faulty reasoning, which could be excused 150 years ago, but not today.

How is that faulty reasoning? If you can believe that not just one but many reporters to a certain event or set of events genuinely believed what they were reporting did in fact happen then what more proof do you want? Assume for a moment that you were in a comma from the day before 911 until now and that you have just woken up. And that all the video footage and photographs of that dreadful day just up and vanished into thin air. And all that was left was the reports of your family and friends to that terrible day. And for hours all these relatives were trying to explain to you what happened but could not show you any footage or photos. Would you believe their testimony? I would. Because they were people that I trust and love and you know that they would not make up such a lie and the fact that they are all in agreement just lends more weight to their testimony even if some might describe that day in a different way and who might even add facts that some of others might omit and vice versa. Well it’s the same with Evangelists’ testimony. Yes the events they describe are unbelievable, just as unbelievable as somebody telling you exactly what happened on 911 if you were not around to witness it.

The issue of whether or not modern reproductions of the original New Testament are forged or not is irrelevant. I'm assuming they are not forged, as I'm sure you are. I'm also assuming the conservative Christian estimate that Acts dates to 30 years after Jesus' death, which could have been much later.

And that is proof that the testimony is invalid why? If it was proven that the same events were written down the day after they happened and that we had that record with us today, would that mean that it was true? No, of course not. You still have accept their word and believe their story unless you had proof that they are liars.

It is rather unlikely that he actually did preach beforehand that he rise, or that the Romans stationed 2 guards outside his tomb.

You are using conjecture to support your arguments. The fact remains that it is recorded in the record that He did in fact prophecy a three day three night burial and on the third day He’d raise again. We are not discussing whether He did prophecy it or not, rather we are discussing the validity of the reporters and it in the testimony of these reporters that that He did in fact prophecy His death and a third day resurrection.

That was standard practice for crucifixion. In fact that was the point of crucifixion to stop burial as a method of dishonouring the dead as punishment.

Again you are using conjecture to support your arguments. The accounts has it that Joseph of Arimathea who was a member of the Sanhedrin requested that the body of Jesus be put in his tomb. Again it boils down to whether you believe the accounts or not. You start out not believing it and any facts that you encounter to the contrary are obviously wrong because it cannot happen. I bet you don’t use the same modus operandi when approaching other subjects.
    It is rather implausible that if the Jews and the Romans want to make an example of Jesus they would allow him to be buried in a tomb in the first place. That would rather defeat the purpose of the crucifixion.

Drag yourself back in time in your mind for a minute. You are one of the Jewish leaders who condemned Him. And it was said that He would rise on the third day. You would never have His body destroyed until that third day had arrived. Think about it, if you destroy His body then anyone can come along after the three days and nights were up and start preaching that he rose. Where would your evidence be to refute such a claim? You have destroyed it. You see how stupid it would have been for the Jews to destroy or allow to be destroyed His body? That’s why the tomb was to be sealed, so that the disciples could not make this claim, because like you the Jewish leaders really didn’t believe that He was actually going to rise. Once the third day was up they could do what they liked with body but by that time it was gone and the accounts have that the reason it was gone was because He rose. If the disciples took the body and then preached that He rose then they are liars.
    There is evidence that families bought the bodies back off the Romans and buried them, which would match the Biblical story, but I see little reason to believe that the Romans actually posted guards outside the tomb.

Well that is what the record says happened. So they are either lying about it or telling the truth. They cannot be mistaken about a fact like that. If that fact is only in the later records because it was added to give validity to the resurrection story then they are liars, fabricators and bunch of assholes (forgive my French) into the bargain.

Well I imagine that if they were actually preaching from that point it was because it took them that long to come up with the concept that he was resurrected.

Like I said already, if they are smart enough to think up such a ridiculous story then they would have been smart enough to know that the addition of the seven week wait only goes to hurt their story. If they made the story up then they are liars and don’t care about the truth so why would they hurt their story by adding facts like having to wait until Pentecost before they could start preaching? That only hurts the story, if you are a liar and don’t care about the truth then you would not add the seven week wait, not would you have it that it was women who first reported the empty tomb, nor would Mark have Jesus referring to Himself time and again as The Son of Man when Mark wrote to gentiles who would not have know what the phrase Son of Man meant, why didn’t He just use Son of God? That was what Mark was trying to convey to his gentile readers wasn’t it? Why hurt you story by having Jesus refer to Himself as Son of Man all the time? Because Mark was being true to what Jesus said. Because Jesus was speaking in a Jewish environment where they understood that the phrase Son of Man meant the Messiah. You don’t find that kind of honesty and adherence to facts that only go to hurt the story in liars who are only out to deceive. It’s intrinsic evidence like this that make them at least sound like honest reporters, because they adhere to facts that hurt the story, if it is just a false story they are telling.
    Think of it this way. You are a member of a small religious cult devoutly following your leader who claims to be the Jewish Messiah who will fulfil the Old Testament when all of a sudden he is taken away by the Roman's and executed. What do you do? You panic. Your whole belief system has been crushed. Your all powerful leader is now dead. How can this be? Not very all powerful.

And like all good true believers you refuse to except the most likely explanation that he wasn't in fact all powerful and latch on to the idea that this was all part of his plan. And low and behold for some reason his body is gone. What does that mean! Ah ha! He must have resurrected himself.

Yet more conjecture. You theory fell away at the seams when you got to the part about the body just disappearing into thin air. And even if they assumed that He was risen simply because the body was gone they are still liars because they also preached that he appeared to them several times after His phoney resurrection and that they witnessed Him ascend into heaven.

And you know Jesus prophesied his resurrection in 3 days because ... ?

Covered that already above. I don’t know if He did say it or not, nor can I ever actually know, but the reports have an account of it and until I have valid reasons to disbelieve them I will take their word for it. I also don’t know if the story of Noah is true but Jesus spoke of Noah and if I can be convinced that Jesus rose from the dead as reported then I can take it on good authority that story of Noah is in fact true simply because Jesus spoke about him, likewise the story of Jonah.
    If the Romans and Jews wanted to demonstrate he wasn't going to rise from the dead they would have left him on the cross to rot. It is much more likely that this little detail was added to the story after he was crucified when the followers were trying to find figure out what his death meant.

Then you’ve just proved that they were all a bunch of liars which goes against an earlier post where you said: “The important point is that these people are not lying.” Which is it?
    This is given support by the contradiction in the stories.
    The prophecy of rising after 3 days is found in Mark, Matthew and Luke, which are all similar and probably based on the same source. It isn't found in John, and in fact John explicitly mentions that the disciples didn't realise that Jesus was to rise until after he did.

It doesn’t actually say in John that they didn’t realise that Jesus was to rise from the dead until after He did does it? It just states that they didn’t understand from the scripture that He had to rise from the dead. Bit of a difference there, and as there is three against one in favour of Jesus prophesying that He was going to rise from the dead in the records then that tells me that even though they mightn’t have understood from the scripture that Jesus had to rise from the dead that doesn’t mean that they were not aware of the prophecy. But let us go back and assume that they are all liars making the whole thing up, then why would they paint themselves in such a bad lights as not understanding the most basic thing of their faith? More intrinsic evidence that they were just honest reporters reporting the facts as they happened.
    Of some significance the guards are not mentioned in John either, and the disciples appear bewildered when Jesus goes missing. Why are they bewildered if Jesus told them just a few days ago that he would rise from the dead on the third day

Please give me the verse you are talking about and I will attempt to answer that for you.

(was it on the third day or after three days?)

Chronology of Jesus' Crucifixion: (from Gracehead.com)

Please note: The Hebrew calendar observes Holy days from the evening of one day to the evening of the next. Therefore, Passover occurred from sundown on Nisan 14 to sundown on Nisan 15, and so on. The Feast of Unleavened Bread began at sundown on Nisan 15 and lasted seven days, ending at sundown on Nisan 22.

Evening of Nisan 14 (Tuesday evening): Jesus ate an evening Passover meal with His disciples and instituted the New Covenant symbols..."And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat. This is My body. And He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; for this is My blood of the New Testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins" (Matthew 26:26-28).

Tuesday night, after their meal, Jesus was betrayed by Judas, and arrested in the Garden of Gethsamane. During the night, Jesus was brought before the high priest (John 18, Luke 22, Matthew 26, Mark 14.)

Early Morning of Nisan 15 to evening of Nisan 16 (Wednesday morning to Thursday evening): Jesus was brought before Pilate early in the morning on Wednesday (Mark 14:2 & 15:1). After enduring scourging, mocking and severe beatings during the day on Wednesday, Jesus was crucified and died around 3 p.m..."And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, Lama Sabachthani? That is to say, My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me? Some of them that stood there, when they heard that, said, This man calleth for Elias. And straightway one of them ran, and took a sponge, and filled it with vinegar, and put it on a reed, and gave Him to drink. The rest said, Let be, let us see whether Elias will come to save Him. Jesus, when He had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost" (Matthew 27:46-50). This was the preparation day for the annual Sabbath, not the weekly Sabbath...(Mark 15:42, Luke 23:54).

The bodies could not remain upon the cross on the Sabbath day..."for that sabbath day was a high day" (John 19:31), so Pilate besought that their legs be broken. The legs of the two criminals, crucified with Jesus, were broken, but Jesus' legs were not broken because He was already dead (John 19:31-33). Jesus' body was then placed in the tomb just before sunset..."When the even was come, there came a rich man of Arimathea, named Joseph, who also himself was Jesus' disciple. He went to Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus. Then Pilate commanded the body to be delivered. And when Joseph had taken the body, he wrapped it in a clean linen cloth, and laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn out of the rock. And he rolled a great stone to the door of the sepulchre, and departed" (Matthew 27:57-60).
    In Matthew 12:40, Jesus tells us..."As Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale's belly, so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth". Wednesday night was the first night and Thursday was the first day that Jesus slept in the tomb.

Evening of Nisan 16 to evening of Nisan 17 (Thursday evening to Friday evening): This was the "high day" Sabbath, the first day of Unleavened Bread (John 19:31 & Leviticus 23:4-7). (The Feast of Unleavened Bread began the night before at sundown). It is described as the day after the "Day of Preparation"..."Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate" (Matthew 27:62). Thursday night was the second night and Friday was the second day that Jesus slept in the tomb.

Evening of Nisan 17 to evening of Nisan 18 (Friday evening to Saturday evening): The high-day Sabbath now past, the women bought and prepared spices for anointing Jesus' body before resting on the weekly Sabbath day, which began at sunset on Friday..."And when the Sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought spices, that they might come and anoint Him" (Mark 16:1)...and "And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the Sabbath day according to the commandment" (Luke 23:56). Friday night was the third night and Saturday was the third day that Jesus slept in the tomb. He arose at the end of the Sabbath, on Saturday, at sunset.

Evening of Nisan 18 (Saturday evening): The women rested on the weekly Sabbath (Luke 23:56), according to the Fourth Commandment (Exodus 20:8-11). Jesus rose at the end of the Sabbath, exactly three days and three nights after His burial..."Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from Thee. But He answered and said to them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas. For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth" (Matthew 12:38-40). This day was the Feast of First Fruits, which was observed on the day after the weekly Sabbath following Passover (Leviticus 23). Jesus arose Saturday evening, at sunset, this being the beginning of First Fruits. This is why Jesus is called the "first fruits" of those that slept..."But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept" (1 Corinthians 15:20).

Nisan 19 day (Sunday): The women brought the prepared spices early in the morning, and at that time Jesus had already left His tomb..."Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them" (Luke 24:1 & John 20:1), finding that Jesus had already risen..."And they found the stone rolled away from the sepulchre. And they entered in, and found not the body of the Lord Jesus" (Luke 24:2-3, also Matthew 28:1-6, Mark 16:2-6 & John 20:1). He did not rise Sunday morning, but at sunset the day before.

Why is this so important?:
    This does away with "Good Friday", *"Easter Sunday" and one of the false reasons the churches use to justify changing the Sabbath to Sunday. *Actually Easter is a pagan word derived from the name of a pagan goddess. The correct name for Easter is First Fruits, which begins at sundown on Saturday (the exact time of Jesus' resurrection) and ends at sundown Sunday.

By rightly dividing the Word in the Bible, God's glory is revealed! Showing that all God does is very purposeful, precise and always points to Jesus, for He is the fulfillment of all things! Amen.
    So what do we have, we have the story of the 3rd day resurrection coupled with the posting of the guards. And in John we find neither. No prophecy, no guards.

Your point?

You keep stating that and people keep giving you counter examples. There were Jewish rebel leaders claiming to be the Messiah who lead large groups of Jews in rebellion against the Roman forces, which was significantly more than what Jesus managed.

How where they like Jesus? What claims did they make about themselves and where is the record of their claims?
    It is telling that hardly any record of Jesus, the feared Messiah, even existing is present in non-Christian records.

Ah yes the oldies are always the best. Here’s a good quote from Murray Harris

Behind the call for additional non-Christian witnesses to the existence of Jesus is the refusal to accept the testimony of the four writers we do have. Should we reject the four because they are not forty? The silence of the imaginary majority cannot overthrow the clear testimony of the few. This demand for other witnesses reminds me of the anecdote about a man accused of theft. At his trial the prosecuting attorney brought forward four witnesses who saw him commit the crime, while the defense attorney introduced as evidence fourteen persons who did not see him do it. Needless to say, the man was found guilty!
    Read more here http://www.tektonics.org/jesusexist/jesusexisthub.html

It is pretty difficult to get back a body you have thrown to wild animals 50 days later so you can prove to a religious cult that their lead was actually carried off by wild dogs.

Yes but if you had publicly shown the body after the 3 days and nights as prophesied we ended then you could do whatever you like with the body. I’ve pointed this out already above.

By anyone who wanted to steal it. Bodies were stolen all the time. If Jesus was crucified and then buried in a tomb that demonstrates significant wealth behind such an act. That gives motive to steal from the tomb.

What can you steal from a tomb? A dead body? How valuable would that have been to anybody in that time? If bodies were of a value great enough to temp people to risk steal them then why would the Romans always (as you contend) throw them to the dogs?

First of all, that assume everyone in Jerusalem saw Jesus being crucified. Which is nonsense. Jesus was just one of a handful of criminals executed that week.

Secondly on what basis do you assume Acts is in anyway accurate?

What evidence have you got that it isn’t? Do have counter records of the same events by a different author that contradict Acts?

It is highly implausible that he rose from the dead. It is highly implausible that anyone rises from the dead.

And therefore He didn’t’ right? We’ve been here before me thinks.
    To say it isn't because he was a god is circular reasoning because you only think he was a god in the first place because of the claim that he rose from the dead. You can't demonstrate he is a god until you demonstrate he rose from the dead. So start off with the position that he wasn't a god. Now, how plausible is it that he rose from the dead?

If you claimed to be God and also claimed that you were going to die and rise again, I would think you were either crazy or putting me on. But if after the third day of your death you do indeed rise again then I would take another look at you and the claims you made before you died. That’s Christianity in a nut shell. What validates Jesus is that He rose form the dead. What makes me believe that He rose from the dead is the validity of the accounts of the reporters. What makes me believe them to valid I’ve already outlined in great detail.
    I'm curious why you ignore the most plausible explanation?

You’ve given me many explanations that may be plausible if in fact He didn’t rise, so which one would you like me to pick?

Which is a very very good reason to think it in all likelihood isn't true.

Go for it, you never know you just might be right.

You still abiding in your comfort zone of “resurrection can’t occur so therefore they didn't occur and anyone who reports that they do occur is a bad reporter because resurrections can’t occur and therefore didn’t occur so anyone reporting etc etc etc…” Circular reasoning which you hate so much? I think so.

Er, do you understand what circular reasoning is?

My "comfort zone" that resurrection of human being doesn't occur is based on external factors, factors that have nothing to do with this particular story, so it isn't circular reasoning. These factors is that there has never ever been any proper observation of humans resurrecting, nor is there any known biological or physical process that allows such an action. Even in the Christian story no one actually saw Jesus' body come back to life.

You can say it is faulty reasoning, but it certainly isn't circular reasoning.

On the other hand, your assertion that it is plausable Jesus could resurrect because he was the Son of God is based on circular reasoning, because you assert he was the Son of God because you believe he resurrected.

If you start with the assertion that he was the Son of God and then use that as evidence that the resurrection is plausable you must use something other the resurrection itself as justification for the belief that Jesus was the Son of God.

On the other hand if you start with the assertion that Jesus did resurrect, you must use something other than stating he was the Son of God to justify the assertion that people resurrecting is a plausable senario.
    Yes people don’t generally rise from the dead but we are not talking about some normal everyday average Joe here are we?
    Well actually we are talking about an everyday average Joe here. He only becomes special if you actually demonstrate that he resurrected. Then he becomes rather unique.

But you can't start off with the assertion that he is unique and then use that to assert that it is more plausable that he resurrected than any other resurrection story. You only think he was unique in the first place because you believe he resurrected.

Again, circular reasoning. You are using his supernatural nature to say it is in fact plausable that he, and only he, could resurrect himself. You then use the resurrection as justification for your assertion that he is supernatural.
    Just because Science cannot explain it doesn’t mean that it didn’t happen.
    Certainly not, but as yet you have not put forward a reason why it is likely or even plausable that it did happen. It is far far more likely that the people of the time were simply mistaken or believed what they wanted to be true. That sort of thing happens all the time.

People in general don't resurrect themselves, I would imagine you would agree. The only way you can make it in any way plausable is to assert that Jesus was in fact the Son of God. Again people tend not to be the Son of God. That is not something that most people are, so again it is implausable that Jesus was.

What ever way you think about this this story is highly implausable, even if it is true. To accept this highly implausable story at face value you need to do a lot of suspension of any sort of critical analysis or objective reasoning.

The fact that you guys do this so readily speaks, in my opinion, volumns about what you want to be true, and also goes a lot of the way to explaining the mind set of the original Christains themselves when they came to their own beliefs on the resurrection.
    Science which you readily admit in other discussions hasn’t go the answers to everything. I’m not out trying to look better or smarter than you on an Internet forum Wick, I’m trying to get a point across that you flat out refuse to even look at.

It certainly doesn't have the answers to everything, and I am certainly not saying that I am certain Jesus didn't resurrect.

But I think we both agree that it is very implausable that he did.

So the question remains, given the two options, what possible reason would you have to accept the highly implausable answer over the plausable answer.

For example, if someone said "Hilary Clinton is in your bathroom", that is an implausable assertion. It is more likely the person saying it is wrong, mistaken, or lying, than it is that she actually is. Say that to me 100 times and every time I will take the later over the former.

The same with Jesus resurrecting. Why would I take the implausable explanation over the plausable explanation. One explanation has all the laws of biology and physics being broken, the other has religious followers being mistaken like so many believers in supernatural before them and since them.
    Maybe this is this is an element that you have not encountered before, ever think of that?
    Certainly, but again that is unlikely. There has never been any proper documentation of anyone ever rising back to life after being tortured to dead.

There is on the other hand a ton of documentation of believers in supernatural events being demonstrated wrong.
    Sorry to land all that on you but it is very relevant to our discussion.
    I've read it, and what he demonstrates is that it is unlikely, by legal standards, that they are lying. I happily agree. I don't think they were lying either.
    It really does boil down to the veracity of the reporters.
    No it doesn't. We know now, through modern study of things like memory, that false memories are relatively easy for the brain to produce, particular in times of high stress. They weren't lying, but that doesn't mean they weren't wrong.
    You are free to disbelieve them if you want to, that is your right, but if you are going to convince me that resurrections can’t ever occur by any means even outside of man’s present understanding of things then you will have to come up with an argument as detailed and concise as Professor Greenleaf has to the contrary.
    I'm not trying to convince you that resurrections cannot occur. I'm trying to convince you that they are very implausable, much more implausable that humans making mistakes about what they remember or believe they have seen.

If you agree with that the next question you need to (honestly) ask yourself is why are you jumping to choose the implausable assertion over the plausable assertion
    It is up to those who would object to this who have the burden of proof to the contrary and I’m all ears.

Have you ever heard the phrase "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"

It is possible that God exists and that his son did rise from the dead in a middle eastern city 2000 years ago. But that is a very extraordinary claim, one that requires extraordinary evidence to be taken seriously

The recollections of a bunch of his religious followers, men heavly devoted to him, and brought up in an age seeped in supernatural belief and with absolutely no understand of natural biological process, is not extraordinary evidence.

To put it bluntly, people are wrong about these things far far far more than they are right.
    I can only point you to Professor Greenleaf’s comments above regarding our understanding of the world:

Greenleaf comes from the starting position that God exists, Jesus was his son, and that God can and does interfer with the regular workings of the universe to do things like bring human bodies back to live.

As I said in my previous post that is not being objective. I would put very little weight in Greenleafs ability to seriously assess this subject. He is a believer who, amazingly, looked at this stuff and remained a believer.
    You have held the Evangelists guilty until proven innocent.
    No, I hold them mistaken until demonstrated otherwise, because they are making a claim which them being mistaken is far more plausable than their claim being correct.
    Your cocktail of flattery followed by putdown doesn’t impress me one bit. I’m not as educated as you might think. I’m no dummy but I’m of only average intelligence I can assure you. People living 2000 years ago must be assumed to have had moderate intelligence and only if you have proof to the contrary can you put them in the category of lesser beings intellectually.
    I didn't mention anything about intelligence, I said educated.

There is a difference between an educated person and in an intelligent person. The most intelligent person in the world if placed in an environment where supernatural events are readily accepted with out critical analysis will most likely accept them too. Why wouldn't he?

My point was that it is rather nonsensical to suggest that the witnessess would have applied any form of critical analysis of what they believed to have happened, at least to any modern standards. We know today that a whole host of phsyical processes must be bend or broken for a person to rise from the dead, they wouldn't have back then.
    Like any court in the land would do.
    No he isn't, he is starting from the axom that God exists and does miricles. That lessens the burden of proof on the part of the witnesses quite considerable.

It is the difference between accepting a witness who claims they saw a brown van parked outside a house and a witness who claims they saw a real life Star Wars Tie Fighter parked outside a house. One is plausable, the other implausable. In the second instance it is more plausable that the person is wrong or mistaken than it is that they are correct an accurate.

What Greenleaf is doing, rather inappropriately (though I suppose it was 1840s) is bringing miracles of God into the plausable realm without any real explanation or justification.
    I mean let us assume that your child came home from school one day with a bloody nose and you asked the child what happened and he says that some bullies attacked him, you would believe him right?
    Certainly, because that is not an extraordinary claim. People get beaten up all the time.

If on the other hand he said a Vampire bit him I wouldn't believe him. People don't get bitten by vampires all the time.

I certainly wouldn't say that because my son claims he got bitten by a vampire that means it is now plausable that he vampires bite people, and then use that a justification for saying it is more likely that my son got bitten by a vampire than that he was simply mistaken or making it up.

Can you understand the difference?

Going to have to take a break .... will try and answer the rest of your post in another reply

That’s Christianity in a nut shell. What validates Jesus is that He rose form the dead. What makes me believe that He rose from the dead is the validity of the accounts of the reporters.

Yes but the reports don't have validity. That is basically what this discussion comes down to.

You claim a number of things

- They aren't lying
    - They aren't mistaken
    - They are being accurate

You can't demonstrate with any great certainty any of these assertions, yet you jump to accept them (I suspect because you really really need this to be true)

You assume they aren't lying, they aren't mistaken, they are being accurate, and then use this to justify a completely improbable action, a man rising from the dead.

There is no part of this where you are actually being rational Soul Winner.

You are also not applying a tenth of the criticism you put on my side to your side, which is making this discussion rather ridiculous.

If I said that all the witnesses were brain washed by invading aliens you would probably rip that apart as being completely unsupported. But how is that any less plausible than a man rising from the dead.

If you can't come to this discussion rationally and objectively there is not much point discussion it with you.

And the deaths of the doomsday cult members in Jonestown members equally testifies to the fact that they at least some of them believed what they were preaching too, but I assume that you reject the species of christianity that they held to be true?

Why do you accept such testimony in the case of Paul, but reject it in the case of Jonestown?

I do accept the testimony of the people in Jonestown that their eyewitness accounts were true. They testified that they saw Jim Jones, that they heard him make certain claims etc, and their willingness to die would indicate to me that these are not some kind of mythical 'false memories' but that Jones really did make such claims.

I'm not quite sure what your point is about Paul, since I've never argued that Paul's willingness to die somehow validated the truth of his religion. :confused:

What I have said, in language that I would think is plain enough to be easily understood, is that the willingness of an eyewitness to die rather than recant indicates that the eyewitness is not telling lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

They testified that they saw Jim Jones, that they heard him make certain claims etc, and their willingness to die would indicate to me that these are not some kind of mythical 'false memories' but that Jones really did make such claims.
    The existence of false memories has been well documented. Add that to the good old combination of confirmation bias and self-justification and people can end up in all sorts of completely irrational positions without realising it. I'll see if I can pull out some links or papers for you.

would indicate to me that these are not some kind of mythical 'false memories' but that Jones really did make such claims.
    Did he also levitate in the air, cause people to be knocked over without laying a hand on them, and cured a number of followers of cancer and other terminal diseases, and resurrect dead followers?

"I have seen Jim revive people stiff as a board, tongues hanging out, eyes set, skin graying, and all vital signs absent. Don’t ask me how it happens. It just does.

“Jim will go up to such a person and say something like, ‘I love you’ or ‘I need you’ and immediately the vital signs reappear. He feels such a person can feel love in his subconscious even after dying."

As Soul Winner would no doubt ask, how can you possibly explain these witnessed events with out the only plausible and likely explanation, that Jim Jones was Jesus?

Did he also levitate in the air, cause people to be knocked over without laying a hand on them, and cured a number of followers of cancer and other terminal diseases, and resurrect dead followers?

"I have seen Jim revive people stiff as a board, tongues hanging out, eyes set, skin graying, and all vital signs absent. Don’t ask me how it happens. It just does.

“Jim will go up to such a person and say something like, ‘I love you’ or ‘I need you’ and immediately the vital signs reappear. He feels such a person can feel love in his subconscious even after dying."

As Soul Winner would no doubt ask, how can you possibly explain these witnessed events with out the only plausible and likely explanation, that Jim Jones was Jesus?

There may be several explanations for what Jim Jones' followers saw:

1. Some apparent supernatural acts were illusions and sleight of hand. For example, ex-associates of Jones testified that he dropped chicken livers into 'sick' peoples' mouths which, quite understandably, they vomited out. Jones would then claim that the chicken liver was a cancer that had been miraculously cast out.

2. Some may have had a psychological explanation.

3. Some may have been a genuine supernatural manifestation.

None of the above would require anyone to believe that Jim Jones is/was Jesus. Nor do any of them come close to eye-witnesses saying that they saw someone scourged, crucified, declared to be dead and then raised from the dead.

Nor do any of them come close to eye-witnesses saying that they saw someone scourged, crucified, declared to be dead and then raised from the dead.

What do you mean? That is almost exactly (well except for the crucified) what one of the witnesses claimed. Or do you interpret "no vital signs present" different? This is modern age when people actually knew what vital signs are.

Who checked Jesus' vital signs?

Who watched him come back to life?

Can you explain that? How can Jones bring a person back from the dead unless he was Jesus or at least acting as a vessel for God?

As for requiring Jones to be Jesus that is true, all you have is his claim that he was, and his miracles. Isn't that the same argument Christians use for Jesus? Jesus rising from the dead doesn't require him to be the Son of God, but Christians take that event as evidence that he is who he claimed to be.

So what is the difference?

What do you mean? That is almost exactly (well except for the crucified) what one of the witnesses claimed.

Just one witness? There were twelve that testified of Jesus. The number two in scripture is the number for adequate witness, one is no good. "On the testimony of two or three witnesses a man shall be put to death, but no one shall be put to death on the testimony of only one witness." Deuteronomy 17:6
    Or do you interpret "no vital signs present" different? This is modern age when people actually knew what vital signs are.

Well according to John there was the Romans themselves who checked His vital signs:

"But when they came to Jesus and found that he was already dead, they did not break his legs. Instead, one of the soldiers pierced Jesus' side with a spear, bringing a sudden flow of blood and water. The man who saw it has given testimony, and his testimony is true. He knows that he tells the truth, and he testifies so that you also may believe." John 19:33-35

After much experience in putting people to death you'd think the Roman executioners would be able to tell if He was dead or not. Or was John, who was an actual eye witness to this particular subset of events, just lying about it? He goes to great lengths to tell you not only about the events but that he is not lying about it? If he was merely mistaken about things then he could not add the last two lines to his testimony unless he was absolutely certain about it.
    Who watched him come back to life? Can you explain that?

There are no reports that I know of that claim that anyone actually saw Him rise. Which is curious, because if you were a liar and just made all this stuff up and didn’t care about the truth, then why not add to your report that one of the women who went to the tomb actually saw Him rise from the dead instead of just saying that they seen Him after He rose? If all you are out to do is convince people that Jesus rose from the dead then it would have been a much better story to use than merely stating that you only seen Him after He rose. If I was one of those liars and only wanted people to believe my story about Jesus rising from the dead then I would say that I actually saw Him rise from the dead with my own eyes and get all the other liars to do the same thing when we go to write down our stories later on. You don't see that in the report do you? More intrinsic evidence that they were not lying about what they did see.
    How can Jones bring a person back from the dead unless he was Jesus or at least acting as a vessel for God?

Did he? When?
    As for requiring Jones to be Jesus that is true, all you have is his claim that he was, and his miracles. Isn't that the same argument Christians use for Jesus? Jesus rising from the dead doesn't require him to be the Son of God, but Christians take that event as evidence that he is who he claimed to be.

The difference is that only if the many outstanding claims Jesus made about Himself including the claim that He would die and rise again actually happened, then only if He actually did die and rise again can you take Him seriously. That's why the veracity of the reporters is so important. If they are not lying, then He rose. It might be possible for one maybe two of them to mistaken about some of the facts but they all cannot honestly and innocently be mistaken about what they all categorically agree on which is the claim that Jesus rose from the dead. They have to be either lying or telling the truth about that one. Intrinsic evidence is very important when you study their reports, and I’ve supplied multitudes of examples of this kind of evidence in other posts that you flat out reject as non applicable, evidence that should tip the scale in their favour when it comes to finding out whether they were actually liars or telling the truth.

Jimmy Jones was an obvious false prophet who was actually anti-Christian. A real Christian is someone who follows Christ not someone who claims that he is Christ. Anyone who believed that Jimmy Jones was in fact Christ totally missed the warning Jesus Himself gives about such people.

“And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them.” Luke 21:8

Satan has raised up many of these kinds of people over the course of history in order to put the world off the subject of the real Christ. And in this he has destroyed many people’s faith in God, the single most important thing in his itinerary, the thing with which all his effort goes into. He does a pretty good job too.

What do you mean? That is almost exactly (well except for the crucified) what one of the witnesses claimed.

That little phrase, "except for the crucified" is actually quite important for Christian belief.

So you are saying that one of the witnesses of Jim Jones claimed that a guy was dead & buried for 3 days, had his tomb sealed and blocked up with a big stone, had a platoon of soldiers to guard his tomb, yet rose from the dead and allowed someone to insert his hand into the resurrected person's fatal wounds? This is really interesting! Could you provide a link to these claims?
    Roman soldiers were usually experienced enough at recognising the distinction between a corpse and a living person. However, it would give us all great amusement if we could discuss the farcical "swoon theory". Do you want us to do that?
    Can you explain that? How can Jones bring a person back from the dead unless he was Jesus or at least acting as a vessel for God?
    I think it unlikely that Jones raised anyone from the dead, although I am not so dogmatic as to rule out the possibility. I see various possibilities here:
    a) The witness in question was the victim of a cruel trick where an accomplice of Jones pretended to be dead and then claimed to be resurrected. (Certainly possible given what we know of Jones. Much harder to fake if the person in question had been scourged and crucified by Roman soldiers, of course.)
    b) The witness in question was a nut. (Much more likely if we are talking about 1 witness rather than 500 or more)
    c) The witness in question was a liar. (Less likely if the witness died willingly at Jonestown. More plausible if the witness was one of those who were forced to drink the Koolaid at gunpoint. More plausible if, as seems likely, the witness was not one of those who died at Jonestown.)
    d) Jones actually raised somebody from the dead by the power of God. (Always a possibility since Jones appears to have started off OK and then subsequently went off the rails and departed from orthodox Christian belief and practice).
    e) Jones raised somebody from the dead by demonic power. (Again, a possibility. There are such things as Satanic miracles).

Piffle. Christians believe that Paul, Peter and others raised the dead - but that does not make them Jesus. :rolleyes:

Roman soldiers were usually experienced enough at recognising the distinction between a corpse and a living person.

Just how experienced was the soldier that examined Jesus? I doubt that you know for sure that he was a battle hardened veteran of the legions and not a raw recruit just out of his toga.

In any case do you really think it is impossible to believe a 33 year old man who suffered severe injuries could be mistakenly declared dead by a supposed expert only to be later found alive by a grieving woman who came to view his body?

Hint: Read this article before answering.

Piffle. Christians believe that Paul, Peter and others raised the dead - but that does not make them Jesus. :rolleyes:

No, but they had other comparisons by early Christian converts. Apparently surviving a snake bite was good enough in the 1st century for inhabitants of Malta to believe Paul himself was a god. Pretty low standards as is but made even lower when you consider that Malta has no record of ever having venemous snakes so everyone who was bitten by whatever harmless snakes the island did have would survive. Also to make a man with bad feet stand up was enough for the Lycaonians to believe Paul and Barnabas were manifestations of Hermes and Zeus.

In any case do you really think it is impossible to believe a 33 year old man who suffered severe injuries could be mistakenly declared dead by a supposed expert only to be later found alive by a grieving woman who came to view his body?

Hint: Read this article before answering.

Did the guy in that report prophecy that his road accident was going to happen before it did? Did he prophecy that he would survive the crash in the way he did? Did he make any other unusual claims about himself?

Just because people can be considered dead doesn’t mean that that’s what happened to Jesus. It was not reported as happening that way so the reporters must have bee lying if what happened to the guy in your report is what in fact did happen to Jesus.

And even if that is what did happen, they would be still lying about the rest of their testimony. Spirit descending light cloven tongues of fire on the disciples? How do you explain that? Paul seeing the risen Christ? Mass hallucinations when Christ ascended into the blue. These are all equally part of their testimony, so your conclusion must be that they were still lying. You don't get so many people all being mistaken about the same thing. Especially an event that would have such huge implications if it was true. They are either lying or telling the truth. Like I said I have given many examples that show that they were not lying.

Did the guy in that report prophecy that his road accident was going to happen before it did? Did he prophecy that he would survive the crash in the way he did? Did he make any other unusual claims about himself?

Just because people can be considered dead doesn’t mean that that’s what happened to Jesus. It was not reported as happening that way so the reporters must have bee lying if what happened to the guy in your report is what in fact did happen to Jesus.

And even if that is what did happen, they would be still lying about the rest of their testimony. Spirit descending light cloven tongues of fire on the disciples? How do you explain that? Paul seeing the risen Christ? Mass hallucinations when Christ ascended into the blue. These are all equally part of their testimony, so your conclusion must be that they were still lying. You don't get so many people all being mistaken about the same thing. Especially an event that would have such huge implications if it was true. They are either lying or telling the truth. Like I said I have given many examples that show that they were not lying.

What the article should do is throw some doubt in the overly confident Christian mind that Jesus was definitely dead when put in the tomb. The man in the article was declared dead by modern medical professionals who spent many years in University learning about the human body and they made a mistake, a Roman recruit was nowhere near as qualified at pronouncing death.

Let us look at the claims of the Gospels. Jesus supposedly died after an unusually short length of time. The usual Christian response is that the scourging he recieved quickened the death, however we do not know for certain just how bad this scourging was. All we know is that he was still capable of making a good effort in carrying his cross, even just carrying the patibulum would be a major effort for a fully fit man yet Jesus did surprisingly well. Perhaps the scourging was not quite as bad as we imagine. Bear in mind that Pilate was well aware that Jesus was punished by his soldiers yet he was still surprised Jesus died so soon. If the scorging had been as severe as Mel Gibson makes out in The Passion then Pilate would have had no reason to be surprised. In fact the whole belief that Jesus recieved an exceptionally harsh whipping is classic circular reasoning: Why did Jesus die so quickly? Because he was almost flayed alive by the soldiers. How do we know he was almost flayed alive by the soldiers? Because he died so quickly on the cross.

The evidence from the Gospels seems to me to suggest a relatively mild initial punishment of Jesus: Frstly the Gospels say nothing about how badly injured Jesus was from the whipping so it is not reasonable to assume it was any worse than any other prisoner would recieve. Secondly he was capable of carrying his cross unaided at least some of the way. I know for a fact I would need help to carry such a heavy weight without any whipping. Thirdly his quick death surprised even the man who ordered the severity of his scourging. If this was the case then the possibility of Jesus being alive after burial increases significantly.

Getting back to the article though, imagine the man in question was a less scrupulous person and said that in fact he did die and was raised back to life because he is the son of God. Would you believe him and worship him? If anything there is far more evidence for his "miraculous" resurrection as we actually know that he exists and we also have a medical document confirming his death. Neither of these we can say for Jesus.

• Advertisement

Just one witness? There were twelve that testified of Jesus.

Well no, dozens of witnesses. That was just a quote from one. And he was supposed to have done it over and over again numerous times.

I imagine though that having 1 or 100 witnesses won't make you believe that it actually happened.
    Well according to John there was the Romans themselves who checked His vital signs:
    Considering the average Roman soldier would have almost zero knowledge of anatomy, that isn't very reassuring.
    After much experience in putting people to death you'd think the Roman executioners would be able to tell if He was dead or not.
    Well you would also think a human being can't rise from the dead ...

This is the problem with this discussion, you are ruling out possible other explanations as being implausible, yet your central belief is the most implausible of all.

It is more plausible that these Roman soldiers entombed Jesus alive than it is that he rose from the dead.

In fact it is more plausible that Jesus was kidnapped by alien visitors than he rose from the dead.

Advertisement