Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food allergy test

Options
  • 20-03-2008 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum or not. I was just wondering if anyone knew how I could go about getting a proper food allergy test done? Or if anyone could reccommend someone? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

You'd probably know if you had an actual allergy. You'd have a strong physical reaction very soon after eating whatever the trigger food was. My daughter gets an asthma attach within an hour of eating or drinking anything with lactose (we've narrowed it down, so she can eat butter etc).

I know Crumlin hostpital does allergy tests on children, and I'm sure your GP could tell you where to get allergy tests on adults.

If you think you may have an intolerance, then you can test for that yourself by cutting out the suspect food for a week (and learn to read labels like a hawk) then reintroducing it, noting any changes, then taking it out again and seeing what happens.

For most people the biggest problem foods are dairy and wheat, which is a pain, because they are in so much of what we consider normal food. They are easy enough to avoid if you cook for yourself, but you won't be eating many ready meals.

Advertisement