Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate Biscuit Cake

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

It actually looks more than the effort required, I kept it simple, put the pearls on it instead of any detailed & time consuming stuff with icing. the tins i had were 8, 9 & 11 inches. there was 200 at wedding, and to be honest there was plenty, all the biscuit cake & sponge was used as it doesn't keep, and I'm not too sure if some fruit cake was kept back.
    I thought about the white choclate icing too, but my fear was if the cake was standing in a warm room, it mightn't look or taste the best.
    if you want pm me, if your going making it yourself it seems like a big big deal, but when you actually get down to making the cake, its not so bad at all, I've been there.
    On the wedding day, I was almost a celebrity "oooooooooh your the sister that made the cake" - great for the ego:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 laneyw

yeah thats the worry with the chocolate mealting and all alright. might give it a bit of a test go tommorow or during the week, i hav load of time to pratice as im not getting married till december, i better not sample too much though i might'nt fit into the dress!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 redchef1970

Is that normal proceedure to ice the cbc.Am doing a simular wedding cake(3 different types) but wasn't sure about the finish .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Melt 150g of chocolate (nice chocolate, not cooking), spread it over the cake and decorate with wilk and white chocolate buttons:)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭no1girliegirl

Hi

I am thinking of making a CBC for my wedding, a 3 tier one and was wondering is it ok to stack each layer on top of each other or do you need to support them somehow?? If so how?

If not does anybody know where i can get a 3 tier round cake stand??
    I would really like to stack them tho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Baby Boots

Cheers for all help.
    Would anybody have a receipe for easy rolled icing .have seen some receipes with ingredients that i wouldn't have access to.

cheers again

any good cake shop/bakery will sell you 2.5 kg sugar paste icing which is so much easier than making it and it tastes great (approx €10)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 rumby

a packet of ginger nuts in chocolate biscuit cake gives it a twist

Birdsong wrote: »
    I made my brothers wedding cake last month, with 3 different cakes, fruit, sponge & chocolate biscuite cake.
    Once they were iced, they all looked the same, I used the receipies from the odlums website, and they turned out great.
    I'll try to attached a picture for you - hope it works!

this is what i have to do they want a CBC on the bottom but I'm not sure how big to make it, there will be 210-230 people at wedding any ideas??:confused:

Birdsong wrote: »
    think i have it there, am not the most techie!

I iced the biscuit cake and sponge with butter icing first, and then used the roll out icing. Worked perfect. I got a big box of roll out in the shop in Blackrock, Cakes & Co, have to say they were very helpful.

pics look great what size was each cake ?:confused:

Hi

I am thinking of making a CBC for my wedding, a 3 tier one and was wondering is it ok to stack each layer on top of each other or do you need to support them somehow?? If so how?

If not does anybody know where i can get a 3 tier round cake stand??
    I would really like to stack them tho.

stacking with the CBC on the bottom won't be a problem,put a thin board under each of the other cakes with a cou[ple of long dowls going through, holds it fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 thatone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Apologies for the resurrection, but better than starting a new thread. I want to make CBC this weekend, but it's for a party a few weeks away, will it freeze nicely? Any tips on freezing/defrosting?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭SilverSparkle

Can I also ask when it says use good quality chocolate... Would that mean graan & black and lindt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Lidl and Aldi do excellent quality chocolate for CBC, when it says good quality it means with a relatively high cocoa solids percentage and/or not cooking chocolate. I use half Lidl milk chocolate and half Lidl 70% chocolate in mine, even if people think they don't like darker chocolate you need the cocoa solids in CBC, when it's made with low % milk chocolate it tastes fudgey and weird.

Lidl is 15 mins away so I opted for the 2 min drive to supervalu.

I got 2 85% lindt, 1 70% lindt and 1 dairy milk... I've left it to set overnight! Fingers crossed it tastes yummy.

Thanks for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

For future reference any more Dairy Milk than that percentage wouldn't be good, eating chocolate can go strange when heated and mixed with other ingredients, but if you've only the one bar with all the other chocolate it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chi Force

Lincoln Biscuits work really well and as they're denser than Rich tea and less crumbly than Digestives!

I just tasted it and it is yummy... You can taste the richness of the dark lindt chocolate but also the creaminess of the dairy milk... It is great:D

Heya,
    we use cooking chocolate chips ... its belgian choc i think but does the trick really well .... its not too sweet and with the marshmellows, malteasers etc the cake is usually sweet enough .... i think its 60% cocoa solids or something ... not too strong so its not bitter ... but it doesnt taste great just eating it ... has to be melted into the cake.
    Enjoy :)

Advertisement