Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paranormal Feedback (Not the EVP kind) Please Contribute!!!!

Options
  • 26-02-2008 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

Following a few PM discussions the mods have had about the forum and some input from our more active members, it has become pretty clear that the forum and community is growing.

There have been suggestions about subforums, expansions and there are probably other ideas out there, so here is a chance to voice them.

We started off as a small forum for people to talk about their experiences and beliefs without ridicule. We've had a few trying years - things haven't gone smoothly, but I think, thanks largely to the help of the forum community, the dedication of some of the users and the security of the forums original remit, we've done much better than anyone could have imagined (especially the folks in the ISS forum ;) sorry guys).

What we are looking for is your thoughts on the current state of the forum, how it has grown, the direction it took, the future directions and advice or suggestions on how we can continue the growth and expansion until we eventually take over the internet.

What are the best things and what are the worst things in a general sense?

What will come of this? That will depend on the Admins and the suggestions put forth. Maybe nothing, maybe something wonderful :)

The one caveat to all of this is that I will don the hardass hat if it comes to it and anyone uses this thread to push agendas, troll, take shots at other members or stir up personal grieviences.

Oh, I'm adding a poll to try and look at the demograph of forum use too. Please tick all that apply to you, it will be really helpful

T4TF, stevenmu, if I left anything out, please, add it in :)

Tell us about yourself (tick all that apply) 499 votes

I'm a regular poster in Paranormal
    0%
    I'm an occasional Poster in Paranormal
    2%
    RiamfadaStonerstevenmuOryxZiycon6thkshielladybirdirlfeelioMrMojoRisinJessica xxxmeryem 12 votes
    I'm an infrequent poster in Paranormal
    6%
    SarumanstormkeeperNevynZillahmonkeyfudgetk123LostinBlanchSapienfacemanDave!littlebugtriskellTin GoddesshiortaSlow MotionkarynpdreamingoakWhisperedNehaxakMizzLolly 31 votes
    I'm a lurker in Paranormal
    6%
    GuanYinSykejebuzMr. Presentablemagnumlady-Al-smellthegloveSetunGenghiz CohendsmythyAckwelFoleymurrayp4GalvaseanNerinmattfenderI Saw SilencebeaushalloeMidnarebelchicChocolateSauce 30 votes
    I read the Paranormal forum more than I post in it.
    8%
    heffo9-Al-smelltheglovedavyccemeraldstarSomnusDordAttracta Mannfree2flychris85OstromMena???dreamingoakSayurirejkinphazeLaois_ManNerinSusipoo 43 votes
    I post in the Paranormal forum more than I read it.
    15%
    GuanYinstormkeeperZillahStonerSyketk123JC 2K3jebuzZiycon-Al-smellthegloveSapienfacemandavyccemeraldstardibGenghiz CohenthemacdaddyEl_mariachilittlebug 76 votes
    I post and read in the Paranormal forum about the same
    0%
    patrickthomasChocolateSauceOverblood 3 votes
    I'm under 18
    3%
    SarumanRiamfadastevenmuOryx6thDave!kshielAckwelFoleyladybirdirlWindSocknitefoxDANNY22XXLCDeelitejonbravoultainghost_ie 16 votes
    I'm 18-25
    1%
    artanevillaRicky91tPodge2k7Diabhal BeagJako8coolaorSnoop Dogg 7 votes
    I'm 25-30
    10%
    RiamfadaZillahJC 2K3jebuzZiycon-Al-SetunDave!emeraldstarSomnusGenghiz CohenthemacdaddyEl_mariachiDordAttracta Mannchris85OstromTin GoddessGalvaseanec18 52 votes
    I'm 30-35
    6%
    SarumanGuanYinstormkeeperstevenmumonkeyfudgetk123smellthegloveSapiendibdsmythymurrayp4speaktofrankWindSocknitefoxfeeliophazeSusipooI Saw SilenceMidnabungler 30 votes
    I'm over 35
    4%
    NevynStonerSyke6thfacemandavyccthemadchefkshielAckwelFoleyladybirdirlMenakarynpdreamingoakLaois_ManbeaushalloeDANNY22XXSpring_budmarti101Special Opsbusymum1 23 votes
    I'm Male
    4%
    Mr. PresentablemagnumladyOryxlittlebugfree2flytriskellhiortaSlow MotionNehaxakpatrickthomasfoxshooter243Dibbleholly1crazymKelly O'MalleyrafaredfoxhoundoneultainKdylassghost_ie 21 votes
    I'm Female
    14%
    SarumanstormkeeperRiamfadaZillahStonerstevenmuSykeJC 2K3jebuzMr. PresentableZiycon-Al-Sapien6thfacemandavyccSetunDave!dibSomnus 74 votes
    I've attended a Paranormal Forum Event
    10%
    Nevyntk123magnumladyOryxsmellthegloveemeraldstarlittlebugthemadchefAttracta Mannfree2flykshielladybirdirlTin GoddessWindSockmbthomaskarynpdreamingoakSayuriphazeSusipoo 53 votes
    I'm a member of a Paranormal Society/Organisation
    3%
    SarumanstormkeeperRiamfadaZillahStonerstevenmumonkeyfudgeZiycon6thdibEl_mariachitriskellkshielladybirdirlWindSockfeelioSayuribeaushalloepatrickthomas 19 votes
    I make a living/earn money/am employed in an aspect of the Paranormal/Spiritual
    1%
    stormkeeperRiamfadaStonermonkeyfudge6thdreamingoakDANNY22XXLCDeelitegabler 9 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I'm 30-35
    Ok, here is one. If I cleared it with Admins and mods, would the various paranormal organisations of Ireland be interested in accounts for their organisations that would be allowed post events and details for their societies?

I'd have to clear it with the PTB and certify the accounts, but it may be a go?

Would it be useful?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I come from the psychic/medium end of the paranormal spectrum, (as if you didnt know already) so thats where my interests lie. Ive also been on one investigation, and I think the stuff the PIGs and others do is great. Some of the more technical discussions are lost on me, but I never claimed to be a scientist. Im much less scientific and more spiritual in my approach. That said, I tend to be very pragmatic and sceptical, and love the theory of occams razor. I too hate psychic phone lines. ;)

I like the openness of the forum as it stands. That really, anything goes. It means that people can post odd photographs, theories, stories of haunting, or questions about things happening to them. Yes, there are so many requests for fortune telling, but I think the main thread dedicated to that does help. That's really the one area that I could see working in a sub forum. (not a prediction by the way) People who post requests for readers are not opening discussion, just seeking specific information, so it could easily be moved to a dedicated area.

I wouldnt like to see it sub divided too much, I think the mix is part of the appeal.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

PSI, there is already something set up for groups to post in (off boards), it has not taken off as of yet, but it is set up, but it will be less heavy on banning, as it it wont need to be, as it wont have anything like the mix of people to protect that this forum has, but i think that a private area would be good, although most groups have their own private forums, all the ones i know of have anyway, but it would be good for new groups too, but this could work, it would save going in and out of other forums.
    If i was to say anything about this forum it is that it has too many religious considerations, it's also the beauty of it too though, I dont think I've seen another forum with this mix except for maybe ghost village, but they dont seem to have the same level of "piss taking" that can and does happen here from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

I would take the more spiritual point in most discussions here but I do enjoy the scienctific side to the explanations not been very science aware myself. I love the range of people who come into post and the difference of opinions that can cause some very good debates. I wouldn;t like to see it too divided but I think the ask "questions on psychics and Mediums here" could be sub-divided, it could have a more wide range of disscussion as in not only asking for peoples phone numbers etc. I have been on a few investigations here and it was one of the best ways and maybe in some cases the only way I would have been able to meet up with people with the same interest (regardless of approach) so to me that is one great aspect to this fourm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Can I just suggest that we remove many of the stickies on the forum ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm Female
    i like the forum alot as its a pretty open minded and friendly place. I think there is too many stickies although it doesnt bother me too much. The mods do a great job.

Call me cynical but i do question (in my head, not in the forum) some newbie posts particularly over the past 12 months who have had pretty vivid, almost too good to be true experience, but i guess there isnt much that can be done about certifying posts like that.

I wouldnt like to see the forum split up. I dont really think the traffic justifies it anyway but i like the way the threads get input from people from all aspects of paranormal as opposed to say, e.g. psychics only discussing psychic themes etc (hope that point makes sense!)

I havent been able to make any of the meet up events but would like to go. It would be good if there were more of them, maybe 1 every 3 months? Maybe there is, Im not sure!

If the forum is opened up to paranormal groups, my opinion would be to ensure they stick to certain rules. I wouldnt like to see groups receiving or being perceived to have an elitist status in the forum, nor a dominant one either.

I'm 30-35
    Stickies point is well taken and hopefully rectified to everyones satisfaction :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Stickies point is well taken and hopefully rectified to everyones satisfaction :)
    I very much agree with the point about stickies, and think it looks much better now, thanks.
    faceman wrote:
    Call me cynical but i do question (in my head, not in the forum) some newbie posts particularly over the past 12 months who have had pretty vivid, almost too good to be true experience, but i guess there isnt much that can be done about certifying posts like that.
    There has been a few posts like that the last while. Some of them are blatant p***-takes which we just remove on sight. Some of them are more, as you say too good to be true, with these my opinion is that if they're treated as hypotethically true then there's still the potential for a good discussion out of them. But I can see how it might seem a little silly to discuss something like that, if people prefer we could try to be a little tighter on that ?
    PSI, there is already something set up for groups to post in (off boards)
    I think what PSI means is that groups could have an account which would be the "official voice" for that group on the forum for making announcements etc, which would be distinct from the personal accounts people might also have. For e.g. a few Leinster Paranormal people post here with personal accounts, but they might also have a "Leinster Paranormal" account that they could use for official posts on behalf of the group.

(I think that's what PSI means anyway, if not I want full credit for the idea :) )

My own biggest piece of feedback is that I think we might need to do more to encourage sceptical discussion which seems to have died off in recent times. I don't mean the "that's crazy, there's no proof" brand of 'scepticism', but I think well reasoned sceptical arguments are an invaluable addition to the forum. A recent example would be Noopti's excellent posts on the UCD Archaeology Photo thread, comparing the photo to other pictures of reflective material etc. I'm not sure if we need to change rules or maybe just make them more clearly defined, or if there's something else we can do. What do people think?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

point taken steve :)

Last thing my favourite thread here is the
    "Ghosts what are you experiences"

Could a mod please change the "you" to "your". Thank you, BTW I would not like to see the forum split either, thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm Female
    stevenmu wrote: »
    My own biggest piece of feedback is that I think we might need to do more to encourage sceptical discussion which seems to have died off in recent times. I don't mean the "that's crazy, there's no proof" brand of 'scepticism', but I think well reasoned sceptical arguments are an invaluable addition to the forum. A recent example would be Noopti's excellent posts on the UCD Archaeology Photo thread, comparing the photo to other pictures of reflective material etc. I'm not sure if we need to change rules or maybe just make them more clearly defined, or if there's something else we can do. What do people think?

Excellent point, perhaps limit skeptical discussion to certain threads or if traffic was high enough, sub forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭ladybirdirl

I would echo what the others have said about not splitting things up except- the only possible advantage I see to aplitting is that if there was a subforum for the 'psychic' threads maybe it would stop so many people starting a new thread just to find a number.........I know that causes frustration.

The skepticism is a valid point, seems hard to balance skepticism without it becoming all out war tho;), then again the mods do a fine job

LB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Why was the UFO thread un-stickied??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Ok my 2cent:

I think the modding is going great, reported posts and messing are sorted out quickly obviously it helps the mods when us users report them but I dont think there are any failings on that side.

The sticky clean up is great.

Obviously Ziycon, its a big deal to you with the sticky being unstuck but I dont think keeping everything "UFO" in one thread did the topic any favours.

I'd love to see a sub-forum for the more Spiritual topics, actually I'd like to see them in the Spirituality Forum but I can understand the reluctance with their being a good community buzz here. I know the Spirituality Forum was suggested Stevenmu you said it would be a place to move all the stuff that didnt really suit from here - could that still be a solution? Anyway a subforum for medium/reader/psychic requests etc would be great but it would also be a good spot to take about different psychics such as the threads we have had on the likes of Sylvia Brown.

Obviously mediums etc will get mentioned/discussed in a wider context with threads as with the thread about the use of them in investigations etc.

I know there is a request for a Boardsean Time forum but I think this place could cater for all of that, I know I have started threads on Cryptozoology and have read plenty of threads on urban legends etc .... some people just dont feel this place could accommodate discussing wackier topics without getting too strick.

As for Skepticism in here, I miss alot of the more skeptic posters t hough I know they can be dismissive and downright rude at times ... then again so can "believers" :D

Summary: Forum is good but could be great. Spiritual stuff to Spirituality Forum and a look at subforums would be great.

Oh as for the groups having an official voice, I appreciate the idea as a member of a group but I for one wouldnt like to have to act "officially" on here. Alot of us on here do "advertise" to an extent but its not like we do it with giving alot to the community in return. I think the mods can spot posters coming on just to use this place who have no interest in the forum.

I'm 30-35
    Ziycon wrote: »
    Why was the UFO thread un-stickied??

All topics were unsticked and linked to from the sticky link thread.

It makes the forum more accessable in general and there is only one extra click - if it looks like the thread is suffering (I know i get straffic normally), we'll try compromise.

Regarding Skepticism, I dunno, I like the fact that people like zillah post here but there are others who aren't actually interested in debate, just in preaching (if you want an example of what I mean, look at the christianity forum and that train-wreck of a thread on the bible).

I'd also point to the decline of the ISS forum as being an indicator of the skeptics being gone more than them being excluded.

Regarding Skepticism, I dunno, I like the fact that people like zillah post here but there are others who aren't actually interested in debate, just in preaching (if you want an example of what I mean, look at the christianity forum and that train-wreck of a thread on the bible).

I'd also point to the decline of the ISS forum as being an indicator of the skeptics being gone more than them being excluded.
    That's a good point, I have noticed their forum has gone a bit quiet at the moment. Hopefully people realise that reasoned rational sceptical arguments are welcomed, but of course the "no evidence = you crazy" cynicism we have seen before is not.

And just to mention, we do appreciate all of the reported posts we get, they do help us get to problems quicker, so thank you all for those.

Alot of us on here do "advertise" to an extent
    I know you didn't mean it in this sense, but since the word was mentioned just to make sure others are aware that I don't think advertising of commercial events through the forum will ever be allowed on the forum(short of contacting the admins for paid for advertising).

But of course the type of "advertising" you do mean, which is people in the community organizing community events etc is a great benefit to the forum and everyone involved and is very welcome.

I'd love to see a sub-forum for the more Spiritual topics, actually I'd like to see them in the Spirituality Forum but I can understand the reluctance with their being a good community buzz here. I know the Spirituality Forum was suggested Stevenmu you said it would be a place to move all the stuff that didnt really suit from here - could that still be a solution?
    I'd like it to be, and I certainly did intend that a lot of stuff would be moved over, and in theory that's great. In practice though a lot of threads fit equally well in either forum, each forum would take a different slant on it, and there can be valid reasons why an OP would want the thread in one over the other. I've pm'd OPs in the past asking if they would prefer the thread moved over, some have, and many haven't. I've tended to just go along with whatever the OP wanted.

If there was a strong concensus from the users of the forum to either
    A) Move everything that can be moved (or a lot more at least)
    B) Let the OP decide
    C) Move nothing
    then we could maybe act upon that.

Just reading subsequent posts on moving the spiritualitry stuff to that forum.....I for one think that's actually a bad idea.

I think most of the spiritual stuff on here tends to be the paranormal end of spirituality....ie related to investigations, spiritual meanings etc & not so much on the spiritual practise e.g. reiki etc

If we lose that from this forum, it would seem to me that we would lose what is an integral part of how most enthusiasts go about paranormal investigations. IMHO it's better to keep that stuff here, it doesn't detract from anything

LB

I'm 30-35
    I think some of the previous mods opposed the spitituality for tbh, but I think there is a place for it, so long as it doesn't prohibit the spiritual aspect of paranormal here.

It is very hard to classify something that, by its very nature, can't be classified.

Fortean times, while interesting, doesn't really serve anything a mega thread wouldn't or the forum in general, does it?

Psychics and mediums, now yes, I can see a sub-forum place for that because we get alot of traffic in that aspect. But would it be discussion traffic? Would it be one post wonders looking for info or would there be more to such a subforum? I think it'd be very easy to create it, see how it goes and then pull it if it dies.

UFOology is fairly busy, but I dunno if it would merit another forum.

*MAYBE* a skeptics corner, what would you think about that?

Psychics and mediums, now yes, I can see a sub-forum place for that because we get alot of traffic in that aspect. But would it be discussion traffic? Would it be one post wonders looking for info or would there be more to such a subforum? I think it'd be very easy to create it, see how it goes and then pull it if it dies.

*MAYBE* a skeptics corner, what would you think about that?

Both suggestions sound like the way to go for me, you're right there might be a lot of 1 post wonders, I assume it's not a big thing to undo?

Good idea:)
    LB

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I'm Female
    Skeptics corner in the paranormal perhaps a good idea.

I read a bit of the threads here, but because im the eternal skeptic, i dont post because i dont want to be considered trolling, for the same reason i dont go into the spirituality and religious forums and tell them i think they are as daft as a brush.

IMO most paranormal occurances are things that can be explained naturally or perhaps we havnt come to a proper logical explination as of yet and we tend to put it down as "paranormal"

So until there is a skeptics corner for ppl like me, i think its bedst i wouldnt post, because i think its nice for ppl to share stories on things they enjoy without somone like me spoiling the party with my theories.

• Advertisement

I think the pyschics and mediums subforum could generate quite a bit of discussion as well as the one post question types. I think there could be some discussion around the mechanics of the area, people who are learning in the area sharing tips, and I'd really like it if we could get some people to give free on-thread readings.

I've held off on requesting this sub-forum just to see if anything negative came back but I think everyone's fairly happy for us to try it out ?

Skeptic's corner could be a good idea, I've been wondering if the ISS forum going quiet is down to people seeing it more as an organisation's forum than a general sceptic's forum.

And kind of like LB, I tend to see the paranormal forum as being about the mechanics and spirituality as being about the consequences. I don't think I'd like to see another spirituality sub-forum, or a change to the existing spirituality forum.

I'm 30-35
    Anyone got anything else to add to this?

Come on Zillah :) I want to hear your take.

Seems we have 42 active users. Not bad at all.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Yeah, I want a Zillah corner. Like ISS but with more irony.:)

Actually the way steve puts it, the medium and psychic section sounds like a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭karynp

Hi All
    Ok firstly,please no slating for my comments.
    I always read the boards,rarely post. Ive noticed lately that people are coming on and really plugging/advertising on behalf of either themselves or their friends in the spiritual field.
    I have to vent my feelings on this as im finding myself getting a bit peeved off with it as its against boards rules to advertise.
    However,theres loopholes and no concrete proof of the occuring. Im certain this is the case,my gut tells me it is.
    While i have no objections to anyone offering there services i do feel strongly about the way its been done.
    I wondered if i am the only one who picks up on this or has anyone else noticed?
    Im probably gonna upset a few barrels here,maybe even a ban,who knows.......but im sure if you read back over the last month or 2 then it will be noticed.
    Again,had to say this,call it pregnancy hormones,call it my inner sense of fairness,i dunno.
    Anyway,its off my chest now.
    Hopefully havent upset any genuine boardsies as its not my intent.

I completely agree. I've deleted quite a few posts that were blatantly like this. Others like you say are a bit grey and there's no proof as such so I have left some. We're hoping to start a specific sub forum for psychics and mediums, and at the moment the plan is to have a specific thread for listing contact details and this will be the only place that contact details will be allowed. This thread will be locked so to be listed people will have to pm myself or another moderator and anyone who tries to spam the forum will be automatically delisted. Hopefully that will deal with the problem.

In the meantime, any posts you see that you don't like feel free to report them using the report.gif icon below each post, that will bring it to the attention of myself and the other moderators.

And if anyone has any other suggestions I'd be glad to take them on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

6th wrote: »

Summary: Forum is good but could be great. Spiritual stuff to Spirituality Forum and a look at subforums would be great.
    The only problem with that is who is to say what is spiritual and what is paranormal? When you get used to an aspect of "spirituality" it is no longer paranormal to you but to others it may well be. For example, reiki is a spiritual thing, however often when giving reiki I become aware of a presence, or message etc, does a discussion about this belong in the spiritual or paranormal forum? And I know this comment will annoy people but the truth is you get more discussion here than you do in the spiritual forum.

you get more discussion here than you do in the spiritual forum.

See thats a problem as far as I see it, posting somewhere just to get more responses isn't the answer. I've seen threads locked and users warned on other forums on Boards for doing that.

Paranormal isn't an umbrella title for certain topics, it can be a way to approach or discuss a wide range of topics including the likes of Reiki. Discussing something in regards to the paranormal is to question it and try to understand it - with regards to spirituality some people dont like their beliefs questioned and the spirituality forum suits better. Were faith comes into it you have to really think if the paranormal forum is the place to post.

Obviously its not black and white and I trust the mods to move whatever they see as relevant - whether its to the spirituality forum or the new sub-forum if its made.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

:D I knew you'd reply to that 6th!

If there is a thread here which more experienced people believe is more suited to the spiritual forum then fair enough. But not everybody here is as experienced as other people (I am one of those inexperienced people) and unfortunately, the paranormal is a blanket term used (perhaps incorrectly) for a lot of things. I for one would not consider cryptozoology as paranormal. I do not consider tarot/crystal reading or dousing as paranormal, just an extenstion of spiritual learning. Someone who does not know much about the paranormal and comes on here looking for info about healing or O.B.E's or similar will not think about going to the spiritual forum. I think it would be very non-user friendly to divide too strictly. Paranormal means different things to people depending on their beliefs, experiences and knowledge. It's all very vague.

6th, you have mentioned before about me speaking about Reiki in this forum. I totally see your point, but as I said, a lot of people would not think of going to the spiritual forum to talk about healing. If there was a way to make it clearer what is and what is not considered paranormal.......................

Just wondering how people feel about having somewhere for readings? The way I would imagine it working is you arrange a time to be there and are at your computer when reading is done. If you have any questions you ask immediately, not 3 days later when the reader has probably forgotten a lot of your reading. Perhaps a subforum? This would make 1 sentence questions and answers less annoying.

Has this been done here before, is it allowed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

I think that would be covered in the sub-fourm stevenmu was talking about. I would imagine it would be more along the lines of experimental reading etc. I think that area would have to be tracked very carefully as a lot of people coming on just looking for a reading could lead to a world of trouble.

I still think that this sub-fourm would take a lot of topics that shouldn't be in paranormal out and into a more apporiate section.

• Advertisement

Thats all grand but are we damaging/neglecting the Spirituality Forum?

Advertisement