Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who is there to take over for EOS ?

Options
  • 15-03-2008 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭

hey guys since everone now wants EOS to to be gone.Who is there to take over for him and lead Irish to victory ?

sorry if there is another post couldent find any

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

awhir wrote: »
    hey guys since everone now wants EOS to to be gone.Who is there to take over for him and lead Irish to victory ?

sorry if there is another post couldent find any

Sadly not much. Just for the sake of it id get Gaffney since he's leaving Scarries but dont expect miracles

Jake White, possibly poach Alan Gaffney from saracens, Mike Ruddock (i know i know!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭sioda

Bradley from Connaught only choice IMO

Jake White, possibly poach Alan Gaffney from saracens, Mike Ruddock (i know i know!!)

Ruddock's with Worcester and wont be moving anytime soon since he only started this year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

I'm blue in the face from saying it, get Jake White in quickly before the bleedin' Scots/English do....used to operating in the snake pit of SA rugby, will put manners on the amateur blazers and back room boys who are the bane of irish rugby...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Somebody not managing provinces or involved with Irish rugby IMO. Need fresh ideas and management style and some new coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Steve Staunton :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Declan Kidney, but I would be so so so so disappointed if he left Munster.

GBX wrote: »
    Excellent post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Willstev wrote: »
    Excellent post :)
    I was gonna suggest Ruddock as he has experience in Irish rugby... but as he's tied up ... who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Declan Kidney, but I would be so so so so disappointed if he left Munster.

Kidney is the best Irish candidate of all, though if rumours are true he isn't the most popular man amongst the leinster contingant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

:D

Not too sure but I'd be happy enough if White or Kidney took over.

We will never get Jake White, he is far too good for us.

Actually, will the IRFU sack EOS or will he resgin. He certainly wont resign, and because the contract is so big , will the IRFU actually say get lost Eddie??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

toomevara wrote: »
    I'm blue in the face from saying it, get Jake White in quickly before the bleedin' Scots/English do....used to operating in the snake pit of SA rugby, will put manners on the amateur blazers and back room boys who are the bane of irish rugby...

+1 - a tough guy, and that's what we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭sioda

Actually, will the IRFU sack EOS or will he resgin. He certainly wont resign, and because the contract is so big , will the IRFU actually say get lost Eddie??

WillStev you have hit it on the head here I think the changes in the IRFU have to start with the people who gave him the contract in the first place but I can see us being lumbered with same manager and team this time next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Alan Gaffney's on his way to either Leinster or Leicester according to Philip Matthews.

He said one of them but couldn't make out which he said (during commentary of today's match).

Plus, Jake White is supposedly replacing Ashton as England coach.

A lot of people are saying that we'd never get White or whoever and we'd be stuck with a poor coach next year. But look at the FAI who'd of thought they'd end up getting one of the most successful coaches in the game in Trapattoni to replace our worst ever manager in Staunton. So I'd never say never in regards to the IRFU getting a Jake White type coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

If they were willing to take cash from wealthy people for his salary and that of a top backroom team they'd have no trouble getting White. Gaffney as backs coach as well. I'd like to see some of the team going to a performance camp in the States to work on speed and strength with flexibility

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

England is a better prospect for Jake as there is a bigger pool of players to choose from.

Trappatoni is nearing the end of his career as a football coach, while Jake still has plenty coaching years ahead of him. They are at different stages in their careers. There's no way Ireland would be able to get Trappatoni if he was Jake's age and had just coached a World Cup winning soccer team.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Considering that Croke Park has been a cash cow for both the IRFU and FAI that is likely to be the least of their problems, although it may stick in the craw to have to admit that they were wrong.
    With the new stadium they will surely be in a position to pay for the best or simply ask Denis O'Brien to help out.

Jake White would be great but probably more likely to take the soon to be vacant England job. As posted local candidates are thin on the ground. I reckon it should be someone with a 2-4 year plan that involves all levels of rugby. Kidney like O'Sullivan is not much of a risk taker, so I guess that leaves Gaffney. Bradley i think needs a few more years. Perhaps Conor O'Shea could be persuaded to get involved in the same way that Wales borrow Sean Edwards.
    Or they could learn from the FAI in the most sensible recent thing they have done, and trawl the world for a good candidate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭what say what?

is_that_so wrote: »
    Considering that Croke Park has been a cash cow for both the IRFU and FAI that is likely to be the least of their problems, although it may stick in the craw to have to admit that they were wrong.
    With the new stadium they will surely be in a position to pay for the best or simply ask Denis O'Brien to help out.

Jake White would be great but probably more likely to take the soon to be vacant England job. As posted local candidates are thin on the ground. I reckon it should be someone with a 2-4 year plan that involves all levels of rugby. Kidney like O'Sullivan is not much of a risk taker, so I guess that leaves Gaffney. Bradley i think needs a few more years. Perhaps Conor O'Shea could be persuaded to get involved in the same way that Wales borrow Sean Edwards.
    Or they could learn from the FAI in the most sensible recent thing they have done, and trawl the world for a good candidate.

Conor O'Shea - never, hes an englishman now
    Bradley - Hardly a success in connacht
    Gaffney- Nahh
    Jake White - the only true option
    or
    offer it to Shaun Edwards

is_that_so wrote: »

I dont think the RFU would let their Academy Director go part time with Ireland especially since they just won the GS. Gaffney seem's like the only real prospect but that said he hasnt done wonders with Scarries so if he does come dont expect miracles

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

you never know, he might know his rugby

other than that, declan kidney or dare i say it

pouch gatland from wales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭chicoben

Kidney is good with Munster, LEAVE HIM THERE! He didn't get on at all with the leinster lads, and the last thing we need is disunity in the camp at this point. Jake white would be good but what are the odds of getting him? Theres not that many world class couches on sale at the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

chicoben wrote: »
    Kidney is good with Munster, LEAVE HIM THERE! He didn't get on at all with the leinster lads, and the last thing we need is disunity in the camp at this point. Jake white would be good but what are the odds of getting him? Theres not that many world class couches on sale at the moment.

If England keep Ashton then we may have a shot at getting him on board. On the plus side there doesn't look to be too many big jobs available in world rugby either at the moment.

marco_polo wrote: »
    If England keep Ashton then we may have a shot at getting him on board. On the plus side there doesn't look to be too many big jobs available in world rugby either at the moment.

AFAIK Ashton was in a similar situation to EOS today. As in if they won well he'd keep the job for another year and if they lost he'd get the chop. So maybe just maybe we could possibly have some chance of getting White IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭chicoben

Yeah plus I think any manager would be interested in coaching us cause we have got some REAL talent and not just a huge pool of average players like England(not saying that all England players are average, they have some exceptional ones).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

sioda wrote: »
    Bradley from Connaught only choice IMO

WHY ??????
    Not against him - but what has he that suggests he is the man for the job? I cant think of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

leave kidney where he is for the time being

This is the IRFU and not the FAI therefore logic should dictate. We have a good squad capable of a lot more than shown recently. Go for White and see what he can do with them

Thanks EOS it was good while it lasted but lets face it that was at least 2 years more than it should have been. Take the sacking and walk away with the cash.

White would be very, very good for our tender stars! Ala Trappatoni he will take zero s**t and will have no problem dropping the stars if they need a kick up the ass.

Come the revoultion!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

What about Eddie Jones?

Advertisement