Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping hairdressers

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Stovelid I personally wouldn't frequent a ridculiously expensive salon, but if nobody tipped they wouldn't be able to paying staff peanuts.

I never thought of it like that.

Stop tipping service staff, and their bosses have a Damascus like conversion and up their wages to compensate.

I've plainly had the wrong end of the stick all this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tallulah_crack

generally the way i see it some sevices are tipped and some are'nt. the amount of work that a stylist puts into ones hair could be huge (was sat in hairdresser for 3 hours getting full head mesh ant cut recently). if your happy tip, if your not or cant afford to the dont
    !

stovelid wrote: »
    I never thought of it like that.

Stop tipping service staff, and their bosses have a Damascus like conversion and up their wages to compensate.

I've plainly had the wrong end of the stick all this time.

I'm not suggesting a new end of the stick for you, I'm just expressing my own opinion.
    But do you honestly think Salon owners could get anyone to cut hair for 280 euro a week, if tips weren't sudsiding the wages?

Your a guy right, I bet you've never had to pay 200 euro for a hairstyle in your life.
    Why is that? Because no man would ever get his hair cut again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

But do you honestly think Salon owners could get anyone to cut hair for 280 euro a week, if tips weren't sudsiding the wages?

My gut feeling is that a lot of people are desperate enough to work for crap wages.

Tips are not obligatory so there is no guarantee that they actually do subsidize wages.

If all salon owners decided to charge more (to pay better wages to some of their staff) nearly all customers would pay. But by giving customers an opt-out clause re: tips, you get a nice haircut; the salon rakes it in; the employee gets shat on.

I'm not having a go. Tips are an entirely personal matter. For me, if I went to the same person week in, week out and they were spending a lot of time making me feel good about myself, then I would find it hard to acquiesce in their screwing over. I'm pretty much pro-tipping in general, but that's just me.

I should be honest here too: I know for a fact that not all hairdressers are badly paid. I personally know a head stylist in a expensive salon, with a good commission deal, and she makes decent money. Obviously, that's not the case for a lot of hairdressers, I guess.
    Your a guy right, I bet you've never had to pay 200 euro for a hairstyle in your life.
    Why is that? Because no man would ever get his hair cut again.

Nobody 'has' to pay anything though. It's all personal choice.

You're right though. I get mine cut free, but even when I paid, it was never over 15 quid. Women's haircuts are so expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

ok... so, as regards the pay issue - The industry needs to have 1 regulator for every single salon in ireland. As it stands, you dont need to have done a single exam to call tyourself a stylist. Lots of places just do in house training - which is fine, except if your boss is badly trained, you receive the bad training also. The industry needs to be more like, strict. This will look after standards, pay & competence.

Tipping, should be just a nice thought - completly personall to everyone. Do as you feel. No one is obligated to part with anything they do not want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

claret wrote: »
    Would you tip after a meal in a restaurant?

Not in Ireland, because Ireland isn't America where waiters are on $2 an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Demonique wrote: »
    Not in Ireland, because Ireland isn't America where waiters are on $2 an hour

worth mentioning... i did a very brief stint as a waitress few years ago. i did friday night 7pm til close (about half 1) Saturday night (7.30 til 2 ish) and sunday lunch (half 12 - 4pm)
    I received a cheque from the boss for 17 pounds for whole weekend... and this is still a 5 star restaurant.

Advertisement