Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad days (or weeks...)

Options
  • 13-03-2008 9:22pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm just posting this to have a little rant really.

I've been quite good since January about my food, but I've just had a really bad week. It started on Saturday when I scoffed half a BIG bag of peanut M&M's after the gym, along with other chocolate throughout the day. Sunday, I finished the M&Ms and went to the gym. I've got 4 hand ins for uni in the next week, which are all really hard and I'm sitting at my computer 12 hours a day. This has driven me to baking, which inevitably results in me eating everything straight away! Due to my workload too, I haven't been able to go to the gym since Sunday :(. I'm too scared to do my weekly weigh-in on Saturday.

I'm just a bit pissed off because I was so good and I've been so awful this week. I normally don't drink either, but I'm meeting a friend I rarely see tomorrow night for drinks, I've a 21st on Saturday night, Monday night is Patrick's day, I've another 21st on Wednesday night and the weekend after this is the Beer Festival in the Franciscan Well!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Consider it an anabolic blip, get into the gym and do some really heavy lifting. Lots of deadlifts, squats and bench press. With a bit of luck, all those calories will go to build some impressive muscles instead of an impressive belly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Faith wrote: »
    . I normally don't drink either, but I'm meeting a friend I rarely see tomorrow night for drinks, I've a 21st on Saturday night, Monday night is Patrick's day, I've another 21st on Wednesday night and the weekend after this is the Beer Festival in the Franciscan Well!

/jealous

Seriously though, don't beat yourself up. Everyone falls off the wagon a little bit now and again. If you're beating yourself up about it then you'll be grand. Have a good blow-out this weekend and get back into it next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Ugh, those weeks are horribel, so demotivating. "Comfort eating" is such a misnomer - it makes you feel sh!te afterwards, not better!!!

I've had more of those weeks than I care to remember, but the best way to deal with it is just move forward. In the grand scheme of things it really is just a blip on the radar. If you've been eating really well you can afford a bad week, your body won't rebel and stockpile 10lbs' worth of M&M chocolatey peanuty goodness just to spite you.

You know you're going drinking for the weekend so make some advanced preparations to cope: keep lots of fresh fruit in the house to curb teh inevitable sweet tooth you'll have when you're hungover. You'll more than likely feel the need to fill your belly with stodgy foods so put a loaf of wholemeal bread in the freezer and have half a dozen eggs to hand - orange juice, scrambled eggs and toast is a seriously good hangover cure and it'll fill you up and keep you satiated for a goodd while. Where possible when eating out make health(ier) choices - salads on the side instead of chips, soups, melon or shellfish for starters, sorbet or fruit salad for dessert.

What do you drink? Vodka/ gin & a diet mixer of slimline tonic will be the lowest calorie option and you can fill up on water/ diet mixers between drinks (I do this all the time - I drink vodka & diet 7up so when it's my round I go to the bar order a plain mixer and no-ones the wiser when I get back to the table!!).

Trust me, we all blow-out food wise from time to time, even with hte best intentions. I pretty much ate my bodyweight in caramel & macadamia nut ice cream over the last two weeks (I was in Australia, it was hot, it would have been blasphemous not to :o) but now I'm back home I'm back on track. Easter weekend is coming up and with it there'll be Easter eggs galore. But to combat that, I've started getting prepared - come 25th March it's all back on track. There's plenty of room for more participants too ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

g'em wrote: »
    Ugh, those weeks are horribel, so demotivating. "Comfort eating" is such a misnomer - it makes you feel sh!te afterwards, not better!!!

I've had more of those weeks than I care to remember, but the best way to deal with it is just move forward. In the grand scheme of things it really is just a blip on the radar. If you've been eating really well you can afford a bad week, your body won't rebel and stockpile 10lbs' worth of M&M chocolatey peanuty goodness just to spite you.

You know you're going drinking for the weekend so make some advanced preparations to cope: keep lots of fresh fruit in the house to curb teh inevitable sweet tooth you'll have when you're hungover. You'll more than likely feel the need to fill your belly with stodgy foods so put a loaf of wholemeal bread in the freezer and have half a dozen eggs to hand - orange juice, scrambled eggs and toast is a seriously good hangover cure and it'll fill you up and keep you satiated for a goodd while. Where possible when eating out make health(ier) choices - salads on the side instead of chips, soups, melon or shellfish for starters, sorbet or fruit salad for dessert.

What do you drink? Vodka/ gin & a diet mixer of slimline tonic will be the lowest calorie option and you can fill up on water/ diet mixers between drinks (I do this all the time - I drink vodka & diet 7up so when it's my round I go to the bar order a plain mixer and no-ones the wiser when I get back to the table!!).

Trust me, we all blow-out food wise from time to time, even with hte best intentions. I pretty much ate my bodyweight in caramel & macadamia nut ice cream over the last two weeks (I was in Australia, it was hot, it would have been blasphemous not to :o) but now I'm back home I'm back on track. Easter weekend is coming up and with it there'll be Easter eggs galore. But to combat that, I've started getting prepared - come 25th March it's all back on track. There's plenty of room for more participants too ;)

Great post, G'em! I've put my name down for your summer challenge. I must go get some bread alright, I've eggs glaring accusingly at me every time I open the fridge. I might start a food diary too (next week).

I drink wine because vodka gives me hangovers, and with wine, I should still be able to get up early the next day to go to the gym!

Mr Mag - you're right, I'm gonna finish all the crap in the house today then get back on the wagon tomorrow. Hopefully my increased stress levels will burn off the extra calories...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I scoffed half a BIG bag of peanut M&M's after the gym, along with other chocolate throughout the day.
    Try not to buy big bags. I am a sucker for them since you save so much (price per kilo), but you end up eating the lot, nuts too, and those massive 1kilo tubs of peanut butter. Goes for bread too, once open I eat the lot. I had a 2.5kilo tin of heroes than vanished in days:pac:. Freezing stuff means more thought has to go into it, you can't just eat a frozen slice of bread passing through the kitchen. I think I need some sort of forced portion control!, like those sweet machines you turn the dial, have it only releasing a portion per day.

Never go shopping when you are hungry.
    I drink wine because vodka gives me hangovers, and with wine,
    Stick to dry wines, less calories. Diet mixers increase your alcohol absorption weight, so if you goal is getting to a certain drunkeness you can get that way on less drink/caloires with diet mixers. Hangovers are mainly down to dehydration, but also due to drink quality. Quality vodka (smirnoff red is a fairly poor vodka) or rum (brewed from sugar so has only trace methanol) is the best spirit to avoid hangovers, but you need to be fully hydrated.

Red wine will have higher amounts of methanol than whites.
    I should still be able to get up early the next day to go to the gym!
    A fantastic hangover cure. I drink a lot and often will head out for a cycle after a night out, wakes you right up, gets you thirsty for water too.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Never go shopping when you are hungry.

That was how my week went so badly! I came out of the RAVENOUS and stopped in a shop, where the big bag was £1 (they're normally ~£1.50). That really is something to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

That was how my week went so badly! I came out of the RAVENOUS and stopped in a shop, where the big bag was £1 (they're normally ~£1.50). That really is something to avoid.
    I am cursed with two 24hr supermarkets on the walk home from my local pub.

Manys the night I have gotten drunk, had a smoke of some *ahem* hand rolled cigarette and gone drunk shopping with the munchies and woken up littered with junk food around me. :pac::pac: Then I find a foot long receipt and realise there was a load more at one point!

Some times I would stick a sandwich or apples in my bag so I would eat that on the way home instead.

A tin of beans or peas will calm the stomach if you eat them at night, gives the booze induced stomach acid something to work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I've had a terrible day, someone please stop me from devouring the milka bar in my drawer before its too late :(

Just don't keep them near you. That's the only way I stop myself snacking. If it's there, I'll eat it. If I have to go to the shop and buy it, it puts me off.

I spent the best part of 2 hours in the gym this morning and feel much better now!

Advertisement