Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown/Wholegrain/Wholemeal Bread?

Options
  • 11-03-2008 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hi all,

Im currently eating bread everyday for lunch with different fillings and im wondering which bread, ie brown/wholemeal/wholegrain is the best for me. Im assuming that white is really bad from what ive heard.

Also anyone have any ideas on what you could use for fillings? Im getting fed up of tuna/ham and i find chicken expensive to buy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Depends on brand, many use marketing trickery and call it brown/wholemeal/wholegrain while it can still be high in white flour. Mc Cambridges is good. YOu have to check the ingredients, if "wheat flour", "plain flour", "cream flour" or "white flour" is in the first 5 ingredients it is probably bad, would have to see the pack to be sure.

I try and avoid bread as it is so high in calories, I use iceberg lettuce to make wraps in place of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭blainj2

rubadub wrote: »
    Depends on brand, many use marketing trickery and call it brown/wholemeal/wholegrain while it can still be high in white flour. Mc Cambridges is good. YOu have to check the ingredients, if "wheat flour", "plain flour", "cream flour" or "white flour" is in the first 5 ingredients it is probably bad, would have to see the pack to be sure.

Ok so assuming i get the Mc Cambridges bread or one with not much/any of the above flours, does brown/wholemeal/wholegrain matter or is it just personal preference?

I try and avoid bread as it is so high in calories, I use iceberg lettuce to make wraps in place of it.

Is bread really that bad?

Instead of the lettuce wraps would a salad be ok as long at there were no fatty dressings on it. If so any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

blainj2 wrote: »
    Ok so assuming i get the Mc Cambridges bread or one with not much/any of the above flours, does brown/wholemeal/wholegrain matter or is it just personal preference?
    AFAIK wholegrain will be coarser and have bits of wheat in the bread, I like that texture. Wholemeal should be finer, brown can be either, but usually wholemeal. Different brands have different nutritional value, it should all be on the pack. Look for fibre, that is a giveaway sometimes. Mc Cambridges has no yeast, I think some find yeast bloating, or are allergice to it.

and have a read of this http://www.iketrainer.co.uk/articles/breads.pdf
    Is bread really that bad?
    Not terrible, but it is easy to overeat bread, I just prefer to get my calories elsewhere. A 1/4lber burger has around the same calories as the bun. I would rather than to burgers using lettuce as a bun, than 1 burger + bun. Just be aware of the calories- thats all, a sliced pan is usually 800g, about 210-240kcal per 100g. I can easily put away half a sliced pan in a day, thats a fair few kcal.

Ideas- peanut butter (again high in calories). Low fat cheese, thin cut steak, thickly made bolognese with no pasta (add tomato puree to make thick)

Salads are fine, I like iceberg since I can take a single leaf off intact and use it like a pitta. -Pitta bread is good to, dunnes and tesco do own brand ones cheap. Pitta keeps longer too, I find myself eating slicepans too fast, justifying it saying they will go stale. I sometimes freeze half one because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭blainj2

That link was very good, explained everything i was wondering about aswell as ur info earlier ill know what to look out for now. Thanks
    Not terrible, but it is easy to overeat bread, I just prefer to get my calories elsewhere. A 1/4lber burger has around the same calories as the bun.
    :eek: Scary stuff
    I can easily put away half a sliced pan in a day, thats a fair few kcal.
    Yeah i hear what your saying there, after a day of drinking, the next day i could easly sit down a eat 4/6 slices of toast in the morning. Even more depending on how hungover i am! So will keep in mind that its really bad!
    Good ideas for the alternatives too, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

The scary thing is just how many calories you can put away eating bread, and not feel that you are actually fed at the end of it. You might think about trying Ryvita or other lower-cal crispbreads. They often have lots of seeds and as much fibre as bread.

Or just do an open sandwich. You still have the taste of the bread, but only half the cals. Alternatively, buy a whole loaf of wholegrain or rye bread, and slice it very thin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Aldi do a 100% rye bread for about .70c

Also, Superquinn have started selling spelt bread. :D Great news for those of us who are wheat intolerant. I had some at the weekend and it was yummy. I don't care how many calories are in it; it will be my weekend treat.

Advertisement