Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's the best nut?

Options
  • 10-03-2008 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

hey guys
    nuts are always recommended as a good snack but which one should I go for? almonds, brazil, walnuts or...? almonds tend to get mentioned a lot, do they have the best profile in terms of low carbs / good fats / protein??

thanks
    Edit: just found this site http://www.nuthealth.org/nutrition/nutrient1oz.html it appears peanuts are pretty good too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I'd keep peanuts for when there's nothing better available. Strictly speaking, they are not even nuts, they are legumes.

Walnuts have a great profile, but they are inclined to go rancid easily, so only buy really fresh ones and keep in the fridge. Almonds are tasty and really good for you. Same with hazelnuts. Brazil nuts are one of the best food sources of selenium, which is very deficient in Irish soil. Irish horses routinely get selenium supplements, Irish people should too.

Actually, most nuts are fine. Cashews are a bit higher in carbs, but they are still a much better choice than crisps etc. If possible, go raw unsalted nuts. You can always roast or season them yourself if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Thanks a mill for that - very informative. Think I'll go for the almonds or hazelnuts so depending on availability. Why are peanuts not much good though??

Doesn't have a great ratio of omega 3 and 6, more carbs than you'd think, and a lot more people have a mild allergy/intolerance problem with them than know about it.

Not saying don't eat them, they are fine if you are stuck at a party and all that's on offer is various forms of deep-fried sugar, but eat other nuts most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

I eat almonds everyday I also like pecans and walnuts are good for Omega-3s.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

EileenG wrote: »
    Cashews are a bit higher in carbs, but they are still a much better choice than crisps etc. If possible, go raw unsalted nuts. You can always roast or season them yourself if you want.

Nuts hot out of the oven are gorgeous. Roasted cashews and almonds go great in chicken stir-frys. I read cashew are actually seeds and not nuts.

I love pecans but they are pricey. Does anybody order nuts online?

Cheapest peanuts I found are in tesco, something ridiculous like 200g for 39cent. Tesco cashews are around €8.60 per kilo.

The asian shops are cheap for raw nuts, usually €10-12 per kilo for raw cashews and ready shelled pistachios (though having to unshell pistachios prevents me wolfing them down after I come home after a feed of pints).

I am planning on making some nut & oat cookies sometime.

Tesco do a oat & pecan crunch cereal, pretty cheap considering all the expensive pecans in it. It is loaded with sugar, so I use it as a topping on my raw porridge oats & cold milk.

• Advertisement

Yes, I find Tesco is very cheap for stuff like brazil nuts or sesame seeds (baking section). Generally anywhere I find nuts less than 10 euro a kilo, I stock up.

I wish the shells slowed me down with pistachios. I bought a kilo at Christmas time and ate the lot within 24 hours. Interestingly, I lost a pound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

rubadub wrote: »

I am planning on making some nut & oat cookies sometime.

Sounds fab, do post the recipe when you make them. Thanks :D

Just got some almonds in Dunnes today €2.60 for 175g (I got a smaller pack so i don't eat them all!)

Advertisement