Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aldi-500GB hard drive 109€

Options
  • 07-03-2008 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

ALDI offers from Thursday-
    500GB medion external hard drive 109.99€. Has USB2 and eSATA interface.
    4GB pen drive- 16.99€, read 12MB, write 4MB.

myself planning 2 buy both of these items.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

This one? 500_hard_drive_Wk1150.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

An additional 500GB to boost and expand your PC and notebook’s capacity, speed and capability.

8MB cach. 7200rpm
    eSATA connector (transfer rate max. 1200 MBits/sec)
    USB 2.0 connector (transfer rate max. 480 MBits/sec)
    Accessories: USB cable, AC adaptor, desktop stand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭masterwriter

is this a good brand? I might return the 99.99 euro 320GB Lidl drive and get this. An extra 180 GB for a 9 euro

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=333054

This probably works out the same once delivery is added but it's a decent brandname, probably more reliable (better support if something goes wrong etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I have one of these, they are fine. Read in a thread elsewhere that they are western digital drives.

Can't confirm without trashing it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Aldi ones comes with 3yr warrany, cant really go woring with that ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

be there early!!!!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

coldfire1x wrote: »

Yeah, but in my experience with a Medion PC, on the rare occasion that you have a problem they're a nightmare to get in contact with and get an issue resolved - and obviously Aldi won't give a crap about your broken HDD!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,918 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

flogen wrote: »
    Yeah, but in my experience with a Medion PC, on the rare occasion that you have a problem they're a nightmare to get in contact with and get an issue resolved - and obviously Aldi won't give a crap about your broken HDD!

Is the warranty with Medion or Aldi. Consumer law 101 would assume it is with Aldi.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

coldfire1x wrote: »

The Komplett one above comes with 5 years. In all cases this just covers the drive not data. Don't forget to backup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

if anyone ever tried eSATA connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

The Komplett one above comes with 5 years. In all cases this just covers the drive not data. Don't forget to backup.

Backup of 500gb hdd.... hmmm... keep another 500gb hdd? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Alway use esata when im using my pc, Very noticeable difference in speed( i believe its up to 6X faster)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Makes sense to buy two and have one as backup as the other.

No, that makes no sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

flogen wrote: »

My FreeAgent died yesterday. All data gone. Seems it's happening a lot and nothing can be done. Been using it a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

In my experience I wouldn't buy any hard disk unless it came from Western Digital, Maxtor or Seagate. Seagate bought Maxtor now, so this http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=345226 is an option, or this http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=343423 .
    3 of my mates rushed for cheap external hard drives from Lidl before, all regreted it.

ch750536 wrote: »
    No, that makes no sense at all.

Explain...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

But what will we backup the backup backups on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

As mentioned in my other thread, I'd love one that can plug into the TV....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Dr. Nick wrote: »

Can't you connect the usb port into the 'ariel in' on your TV. An old wire coathanger should do the trick ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

degsie wrote: »
    Can't you connect the usb port into the 'ariel in' on your TV. An old wire coathanger should do the trick ;)

You do realise some idiot will probably try that!

BostonB wrote: »
    Explain...

Use the same drive as a backup, naa, use another make \brand\type\power supply to eliminate the most common fault on drives, poor manufacturing.

The chances of buying 2 faulty drives at the same time are far far higher than buying 2 faulty drives of different brands.

Use the same drive as a backup, naa, use another make \brand\type\power supply to eliminate the most common fault on drives, poor manufacturing.

The chances of buying 2 faulty drives at the same time are far far higher than buying 2 faulty drives of different brands.

Define far higher and in what circumstance. The majority of people have no backup. Especially people who buy external drives, they usually fill it and then don't have back up of all that data. So with that in mind I think having two drive identical or not is a huge improvement in data security.

You're talking about a situation like in a RAID or internal drives in the same machine. where both drives will have the same running time. with an external drive This is less likely. You only switch the 2nd one on for back up.
    It would be better to have two dissimilar drives, but thats expecting far two much of the average home user.

I've never had two drives die at the same time, even in a disk cluster. closest has been within a few days of each other. That said I don't work with servers very often or do a lot of disk intensive stuff very often. Maybe you'd see it more if thats what you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Dr. Nick wrote: »

then buy one of these

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/638604/art/iomega/screenplay-360-gb-usb-2-0.html

or

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/525074/art/storex/mediaplayer-club-mpix-355.html

Plays xvid/divx straight into scart

well worth the extra couple of euro

zod wrote: »

Have you got either?

I've never had two drives die at the same time, even in a disk cluster. closest has been within a few days of each other. That said I don't work with servers very often o do a lot of disk intensive stuff very often. Maybe you'd see it more if thats what you do.

I do work with servers. You don't see it very often there either. If you buy 20 of one model in one go you're going to get the same make HDDs obviously. You do get failures but I've never lost a RAID because 2 HDDs went down at the same time. It's not impossible but the odds must be tiny.

I do work with servers. You don't see it very often there either. If you buy 20 of one model in one go you're going to get the same make HDDs obviously. You do get failures but I've never lost a RAID because 2 HDDs went down at the same time. It's not impossible but the odds must be tiny.

Without going off topic too much, if you are setting up a raid 0 or 1 then you are not really using raid as intended, well, not exactly anyway, as either of these systems are useless with regards to integrity. (Not quite...)

Consider this, lets say a courier dropped a box of drives, making them a bit wobbly. What are the chances of buying 2 wobbly drives from the same place if 1 is already wobbly.

You know it makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Have you got either?

yes I've owned both types

• Advertisement

Consider this, lets say a courier dropped a box of drives, making them a bit wobbly. What are the chances of buying 2 wobbly drives from the same place if 1 is already wobbly.

I don't think the chances would be enough to make me buy two different drives.

Advertisement