Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crohn's Disease

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

Trebor176 wrote: »
    I have to go for a sigmoidoscopy during the week. Has anyone had this done before?

Yes. It's like a colonoscopy, only they don't go as far in. I don't think they will sedate you for a sigmoid, but it doesn't take long anyway. A few minutes. It's a bit uncomfortable but you'll be out of there before you know it. Do you have to do the prep for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Totofan99 wrote: »
    Yes. It's like a colonoscopy, only they don't go as far in. I don't think they will sedate you for a sigmoid, but it doesn't take long anyway. A few minutes. It's a bit uncomfortable but you'll be out of there before you know it. Do you have to do the prep for it?

I'll be given an enema there, but I don't think I need to take any Kleanprep or an alternative. It's early afternoon, so hopefully I can return to work after, rather than having to take the rest of the day.

I'll be given an enema there, but I don't think I need to take any Kleanprep or an alternative. It's early afternoon, so hopefully I can return to work after, rather than having to take the rest of the day.

I was just wondering because any time I had a sigmoid I was in hospital and they just gave me the enema. It's not nice, but it's better than that awful Klean Prep or MoviPrep. And if they don't give you a sedative then you might be able to return to work. But see how you feel.

I was just wondering because any time I had a sigmoid I was in hospital and they just gave me the enema. It's not nice, but it's better than that awful Klean Prep or MoviPrep. And if they don't give you a sedative then you might be able to return to work. But see how you feel.

I'm not looking forward to it anyway, haha. I'll see how things go anyway. At least it's known in work that I have this, so I can always schedule the rest of the day off, if need be after. Thanks for the info :)

I'm not looking forward to it anyway, haha. I'll see how things go anyway. At least it's known in work that I have this, so I can always schedule the rest of the day off, if need be after. Thanks for the info :)

No problem. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement

No problem. Good luck with it.

Thank you :) I shall post my experience of it when it's done ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

I've had one before, the enema isn't that bad but it's a rather uncomfortable experience as they inflate you with air! Other than that it's grand, I was in pain after as I was extremely bloated so i'd probably book the rest of the day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

Hi,

I'm new here. I was diagnosed with Crohn's last July and had to have emergency surgery to remove all of my colon that month. I had no symptoms prior to the week leading up to my admission to hospital. Since my surgery I have been perfectly healthy so I'm not accustomed to what it's actually like to have crohns as I just had one extreme flare up. Anyway, I'm curious to know, have those of you that seem to have a fairly bad time with crohns had surgery? I'm just wondering if having my colon removed reduces the chance (or the frequency at least) of my crohns flaring up.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Hi OEP, Welcome to the Forum. I was very hesitatant to answer, as I have had a lot of surgery for Crohns, but
    I have had Crohns for many years. Thankfully, you are at a time when treatment has GREATLY improved. A lot of
    Crohns patients are going into remission for longer and longer, thanks to some of the High Tech drugs around now.
    Make sure you have a good consultant. Become body aware. If you find something that MAJORLY stresses u, work
    on it. Then do the basics, eat well, bit of excerise, drink water ..etc... Now that the dust has settled on your surgery,
    you are probably questioning it like a bad dream... Why. Etc...
    Best of luck... And if you have any questions, no matter how wierd..somebody here might have already been through it and have an answer for u.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭MsGiggles

Hello All ,

Question for all you Crohn'ies out there.
    Do any of you have a really bad reaction to codeine ?

I took a pain killer yesterday prescribed by GP to try and help pain whilst waiting for surgery. Within 30 mins I was on the floor in agony and vomiting bile. Took just about the whole day for it to ease. I knew it wasn't a Crohns pain so it must be the meds. I can't take tramadol as it causes the same intense side effects.

Just wondered if anyone else experienced something similar ?

Thanks x

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

MsGiggles wrote: »
    Hello All ,

I took a pain killer yesterday prescribed by GP to try and help pain whilst waiting for surgery. Within 30 mins I was on the floor in agony and vomiting bile. Took just about the whole day for it to ease. I knew it wasn't a Crohns pain so it must be the meds. I can't take tramadol as it causes the same intense side effects.

Thanks x

It all depends- I developed a sensitivity to codeine- and came out in the most awful rash that blistered on my face and scalp- and the backs of elbows and knees. You can develop sensitivities- which can appear and disappear mysteriously without apparent cause.

Note- they don't tend to advise codeine with Crohns- esp. if you have strictures or blockages- as codeine massively slows down your intestinal tract, and can exacerbate symptoms.

My own issue- is with hydrocortisone- which unfortunately I end up being on not infrequently. I turn into something from a horror movie- retching and vomitting non-stop- regardless of whether or not there is anything in my stomach- when the hydrocortisone hits my system. I warn them all the time that I need a large pre-med before hydrocortisone- often the nurses ignore me- though the same nurse has never ignored me twice...........

Unfortunately this damn disease has its own special hell for each of us- some of us have similar symptoms- others different- one way or the other- it is hell on earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

For people with gut problems, I was always advised that paracetamol based painkillers were easier on the gut than aspirin based painkillers

Hello All ,

Thanks x

Hi Ms Giggles,
    Yep, codeine has the same effect on me. Severe pain, vomiting etc. Tramadol, I take everyday, and it has
    no side effects on me. Does.nt always kill the pain though.
    Trial and error I soupose. Seems to be more error with Crohns ....!!

A late Happy Paddys Day, and an early Happy Easter to all. ...XX

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Does anyone know the day time for crohn's walk in clinic in Wexford General Hospital ?

Although my Crohn's isn't bad, nor has ever been bad, such as never being in agony and needing the toilet often, I am aware that anxiety and the likes can be symptomatic. I seem to let things get in on me when I really shouldn't. I've been feeling a little down recently, and I do have various things on my plate between work, college and other things. Maybe I've just so much on my mind at once, and am possibly a little tired.

I don't feel I need to talk to anyone, as I know I can confide in friends or family, but wouldn't want to worry them in any way. I am hoping to make some changes in my life in the summer, such as getting out more (not that I'm that anti-social or anything), so maybe it's all I need. Does anyone else here suffer with the likes of anxiety, tiredness and that? Even if you're Crohn's isn't too bad, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 caramel08

Hi there, I've had crohns since I was 17 and it's been inactive for 15 years now but tiredness still occurs for me. Apparently even when you're well and it's not acting up you can still be deficient in vitamins especially b12, calcium and vitamin d. So even though you might have a good diet and crohns isnt active you might need a supplement. I was extremely deficient in these last year even though I haven't had active crohns in years. Tiredness anxiety etc. can sometimes be a sign of vitamin b12 deficiency so it might be worthwhile getting some blood tests done to check.

Hello All,

I don't know if you remember, but I posted last year that I was going for surgery (re-section) but it has gotten cancelled twice since - I have lost a lot of weight since then, but just recently got a new date of the 28th April - the consultant has promised to bring me in this time so hopefully it happens (Or I will get fired !)

My symptoms are steadily getting worse, and this morning I lost A LOT of blood - I don't mean to be graphic, but when I looked I was frightened by the amount.

I have gone a couple of times since and whilst there is some there is nothing major.

Is this something I should panic over, or just hold tight until 28th April ?

Hope you are all doing ok xxxx

Giggs x

MsGiggles- go get it checked out.......
    I don't mean to alarm you- but you can loose a remarkable quantity of blood- a dangerous amount- if your symptoms have changed- as they have- you *need* your GP and consultant to be made aware immediately.

Don't put it off- go- go now........

Thank you The_Conductor - I just called my GP and she wants me to go get my bloods done - So I will get them done tomorrow and see how we go between now and then - thanks x

*update* So I rang the doctor and she said come down today for blood count so....rather than taking more time off, I had the nurse at work take my bloods, keep them cooled and I will drop them to the hospital on my way home !

What drama eh.....!

• Advertisement

*update* So I rang the doctor and she said come down today for blood count so....rather than taking more time off, I had the nurse at work take my bloods, keep them cooled and I will drop them to the hospital on my way home !

What drama eh.....!

Thats great- I wish we had a nurse like that in work- though they'd be inundated- between us Chronies, diabetics, folk on warfarin (including Chronies) and a myriad of other problems.........

I hope your blood test shows things are within normal parameters.....

Hi Ms Giggles, if you still continue to bleed...go to nearest A and E. Dont take a chance. Do not wait till Monday to
    see yr GP. Take care.

I've been advised by my consultant that he'd like me to have a little chat with the consultant surgeon about more surgery. Essentially- my Crohn's is not particularly active (the Humira is doing its job)- but the previous surgeries and the ravages of the disease are such that the internal scarring is so extensive to the extent that if I try to move from a fluid/low residue diet I get blockages (that can clear naturally, but are painful- but can take several days to a week to do so). Married to this- I've so little intestine left- that everything flows through me in no time flat- without the prospect of having yet more removed.......

On the brightside- I'm being taken off Warfarin- as I've had too many instances of massive internal bleeds- and put on a next gen alternate Xarelto- as soon as the HSE approve the move (its yet another of the meds classified as 'hi-tech' and obviously they don't have the budget for these things).

I need a new body. I've been putting off talking to the surgeon for a few weeks- we've a lot going on at the moment- but its getting more and more difficult to keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ChartAccount

Cannabis and Crohns Disease, NOT joking!

This video now working above

In Israel they give Cannabis to patients in the public hospitals

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ChartAccount

Turns out Vit D can help, https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/06/150612131634.htm

New research published in this month's edition of United European Gastroenterology journal suggests that supplementation with vitamin D may impact on the intestinal barrier dysfunction associated with Crohn's disease, and could have a role in the treatment of the condition. The study is by Professor Maria O'Sullivan and Tara Raftery. Department of Clinical Medicine, Trinity Centre for Health Sciences, St. James's Hospital, Dublin, Ireland.

Also Butyrate is meant to be helpful or Crohns people are deficient in this too.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16225487

CONCLUSIONS:

Oral butyrate is safe and well tolerated, and may be effective in inducing clinical improvement/remission in Crohn's disease. These data indicate the need for a large investigation to extend the present findings, and suggest that butyrate may exert its action through downregulation of NF-kappaB and IL-1beta.

Hi All.

I am looking for some advice here. I had surgery 6 weeks ago, bowel resection and also gall bladder removal (gall bladder was not planned but supposedly was a mess). 6 weeks on and I feel like I am trapped in a cycle of pain. The cramps are so bad, and I have so much wind. I probably have to burp at least twice every 5 minutes. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat. Nothing helps. I've spent the morning just crying. Everyone says give it time, but I am giving up hope.

Hi All.

I am looking for some advice here. I had surgery 6 weeks ago, bowel resection and also gall bladder removal (gall bladder was not planned but supposedly was a mess). 6 weeks on and I feel like I am trapped in a cycle of pain. The cramps are so bad, and I have so much wind. I probably have to burp at least twice every 5 minutes. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat. Nothing helps. I've spent the morning just crying. Everyone says give it time, but I am giving up hope.

Talk to your GI *not* your GP- and explain whats happening.
    At very least you need a reasonable pain management regimen- probably difene- but ideally they need to get to the bottom of why this is happening.
    Pain management is your first priority- life is too damn short to be in constant pain the way we are........ :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34 A Shopkeeper

I've just started taking imuran and was wondering if someone could share their experiences of alcohol consumption while taking it.

I'm only on imuran a week, and my consultant told me that I can still do everything I did before. But Saturday was my first night drinking so I googled 'Imuran & Alcohol' and more or less found 99% of articles saying don't do it at all, or if I do, only have a few drinks at most.

I'm ok with the idea of abstaining, for the good of my health and future, but just want to gauge how much abstinence is necessary. Like, is more than 4 or 5 drinks harmful to me?

I've read that it's harmful to your liver, but unsure as to what level of harm etc.

I've just started taking imuran and was wondering if someone could share their experiences of alcohol consumption while taking it.

Alcohol will exacerbate the symptoms of Crohns- regardless of whether you're on Imuran (or other immunosuppresants). If you're on Imuran- drinking alcohol is associated with significantly higher risks of liver damage- than drinking alcohol would otherwise cause.
    I'm only on imuran a week, and my consultant told me that I can still do everything I did before. But Saturday was my first night drinking so I googled 'Imuran & Alcohol' and more or less found 99% of articles saying don't do it at all, or if I do, only have a few drinks at most.

I honestly don't know anyone with Crohn's who drinks excessively- because simply put- the manner in which we pay for it- means its not worth while. A few drinks- is normal- as in, a few- not lets go out and drink ourselves silly.......

You can do everything you did before you started taking Imuran- however, there is a working assumption that you're not drinking excessive amounts of alcohol. Drinking excessive amounts of alcohol while on Imuran- is not just silly- its also dangerous. The risk of liver damage- is vastly higher than it would otherwise be.

There isn't really anything you can't do that you wouldn't normally do- while on Imuran- providing you practice moderation (sunlight, alcohol etc etc). When your consultant said you can everything you'd normally do- he was assuming you weren't going out drinking etc (as its very unusual for Chronies to be able to- in the first instance, it would be abnormal for a Crohn's sufferer to do so).

I'm ok with the idea of abstaining, for the good of my health and future, but just want to gauge how much abstinence is necessary. Like, is more than 4 or 5 drinks harmful to me?

I've read that it's harmful to your liver, but unsure as to what level of harm etc.

4 or 5 drinks- could be harmful to you- yes.
    Is there a set amount that is ok- or a set amount that can cause you liver damage- no- there isn't. We're all different. It would be a very foolish person who suggested to you that you'd be fine if you only had two drinks (or any number) or that exceeding 4 drinks is dangerous. Simply put- the only way of guaranteeing that you have a safe level of alcohol- is not to have any at all.

• Advertisement

I've never been a big drinker anyway, and tend to take it easy when out. I could spend money on it, but it's not worth it really. Not because of Crohn's, but because I don't like the idea of getting pissed. But, that's another topic, possibly.

I developed a rash on both arms, stomach and the tops of my legs a few weeks back. Despite being prescribed cream and tablets, it didn't go away. After another trip to my GP today, he reckons it could be a form of psoriasis, which goes with Crohn's. It's not a combination that I was very familiar with. My brother has psoriasis, and I was told it runs in the family. But, up until now, I never had anything like this, bar shingles a couple of years back. I'm not sure if anyone else on here has something similar?

Advertisement