Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

antitoxidants,vitamins,minerals

Options
  • 06-03-2008 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hello,

Just wondering what people take on a regular basis and what they think are the best for them? Would fish oils,multivitamins,and flaxseeds be considered enought to take on a daily basis?

It seems like there always a "new" best antitoxidant,whether it be green tea,or blue berries or goji berries.Its hard to keep up hehe

Do you get any noticeable benefit from taking regular supplements or is it a big marketing scheme?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I take a regular multi-vitamin&mineral, 1g vitamin C, some fish oil and a good cal/mag. If my multi doesn't have a lot of folic acid, I take some extra. No goji berries or agave juice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭indiana jones

i take evening primrose and b6 because they are supposed to be good for pmt. also iorn cause i hardly ever eat red meat.thats it. cant say ive noticed a difference or if its in my head.

Be careful of iron. It's one of the few minerals that is easy to overdose on. Most breakfast cereals, particularly Special K and a lot of other things like bread or "health" bars, have a lot of iron added to them, so a couple of portions a day (and who eats the 30g or so that is the recommended portion?) can easily put you over your RDA for iron.

Make sure any iron supplements are less than 15mg unless you are on doctor's orders to take more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I take fish oil every day and evening primrose oil from time to time (have stopped of late as i'm worried my omega 3 and 6 ratio might be off as a result??? i don't know much about these things so could be way off on this one!) Milled flaxseed in my porridge every morning (nyom :))

I also take a b-vitamin effervescent drink thing (also has 1g of vit c in it) (oh and I also take toxic levels of vitamin A, but i wouldn't recommend this one :rolleyes:)

It's very hard to take too much Omaga 3. Omega 6 comes in grains and in the meat of animals that are fed grains, so we tend to get a lot of it without realising it, while Omega 3 is pretty much fish oil, flaxseed and a little from nuts like walnuts.

I wouldn't bother with those expensive oils that claim to have the perfect balance of 3/6/9, as you are already getting lots of 6, and probably enough 9 (olive oil) in your diet. Buy some cheap fish oil or cod liver oil to get your 3s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

yeay eileen that's what i meant: EPO is omega 6 i think, so i thought maybe i should ease off it as i probably have loads already. I didn't mean that I've stopped taking fish oil (omega 3)

thanks for the info (again!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I used to take multivitamins etc. but didn't notice even the slightest bit of difference with anything, so stopped. I try to get everything I need from my diet, although I do struggle with Omega 3s, as I hate oily fish, and the capsules make me burp a fish-taste every thirty minutes.

Advertisement