Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pressure cookers and nutrients

Options
  • 06-03-2008 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, can anyone say definitively whether pressure cookers remove nutrients from food and into the liquid they are being cooked in? I know Vitamin C is labile in heat but I'm thinking about other vits and minerals.

I've heard two conflicing accounts :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have always heard they are better. A 15psi cooker will get to 121C. 12psi are more common these days. The high heat might degrade nutrients faster BUT the quicker cooking time might offset this effect. e.g. it might degrade nutrients twice as quick but cooks in 1/4 the time.

You should be steaming in the PC. You can always use the water after for stock or soup if you are that worried. PCs are very energy efficient, I can't understand why they are not more popular, especially these days of eco-friendly and "health food" awareness. Probably stems from the myths about them being extremely dangerous, if used in correctly they could be dangerous, most these days have all sorts of safety features. They are very popular in the US, people "can" in them, i.e. you can make your own jarred food that will keep on a shelf indefinitely.

Do you have link to the one that said it is a bad choice? I might be able to set it straight if I see something wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_cooker

Advertisement