Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on diet

Options
  • 06-03-2008 11:04am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've sorta plateaued(sp?) out at 12 stone for the past year really :(. My target is 10.5 (I'm 5'9"). I'm getting to the gym 3 times a week & cycle about 20km/week as well. But I think diet is where I'm losing out so I would appreciate any opinions. I try to make meals smaller towards the end of the day & restrict carbs to early on or post-workout.

This would be a typical day:

Breakfast
    2/3cup porridge
    tbsp ground flaxseed
    3tsp fructose
    1/2cup soyamilk

Mid-morning snack
    1 apple
    150g organic yoghurt
    mixed seeds

Lunch
    Omelette w/ loadsa veg
    or
    turkey salad wrap if I'm out of the house

Afternon snack
    Piece of fruit & protein shake (Nectar)

Dinner
    Could be chicken w/ pasta if PWO or lentil stew or tofu stirfry or loads things.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Hey
    are you a boy or a girl? I'm male, 5'9 too and 11.5 stone, I certainly don't want to lose any more "weight" (though, of course I could always stand to be slightly leaner)
    taconnol wrote: »
    3tsp fructose
    Is this really necessary?

I take it you just wrote this up as a general idea. Do a one day accurate account of your eating habits and I'd say you'll probably find it a bit different than the above. Most people don't figure in the winegums or biscuits someone in the office offered them, that can of coke they got on their way home etc.

In the gym, do you lift the heavy things? If not, might be an idea, whether male or female.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    Hey
    are you a boy or a girl? I'm male, 5'9 too and 11.5 stone, I certainly don't want to lose any more "weight" (though, of course I could always stand to be slightly leaner)

Is this really necessary?

I take it you just wrote this up as a general idea. Do a one day accurate account of your eating habits and I'd say you'll probably find it a bit different than the above. Most people don't figure in the winegums or biscuits someone in the office offered them, that can of coke they got on their way home etc.

In the gym, do you lift the heavy things? If not, might be an idea, male or female.

Female...I used to be 11 stone - and I'm getting pretty frustrated at this stage.

Yes you're right. I'll reduce the fructose & aim to cut it out. I just find porridge a bit yuk without it.

I do lift heavy, but I'm bulky on my lower body so I try not to do slightly lower weights (eg Good mornings w/ 12kg dumbbells & lunges w/ 6kg dumbells). Upperbody I would do 8kg dbs shoulder press, 12kg dbs chestpress, etc) Then 1 HIIT sessions & one LIT cardio session/week + the cycling.

You're right I will try to keep track of what i actually eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Have you tried the Atkins diet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

IMO there are better alternatives for carbohydrate restriction.

Protein power lifeplan (should be retitled "Eating Really Really Healthy", best basic nutrition book I've ever read), zone diet, or paleo diet if you want to complicate things.

Removing sugar and replacing rice/pasta/bread/grains with green vegetables/nuts if you don't.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Sorry but I don't really believe in the Atkins diet. Also, I don't eat a lot of meat & fish so it's a no go.

I do, however, believe in reducing my carb intake when I'm not exercising or late in the day.

I'll post up what I've eaten today, later on or tommorrow. No doubt I will be shamed at the difference between the diet that I wrote up this morning!

Thanks for book recommendation - tho I don't think it was written for people with low meat & fish intake in mind..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

Hey,

On the porridge side of things have you tried adding seasme seeds I find they add a bit of sweetness or even some sliced bananna or something rather than the frustoce by itself....

Also on your mid-morning snack you could also try reducing the yogurt but mixing in some protein powder it would change the macro profile of the meal a bit.

On the training thing maybe you could try mixing it up a bit for a while like doing some metcon training just to give your body a change of stimilus.

Personally cutting out wheat and reducing dairy drops my weight faster than anything else. I dont eat low-carb per say but it would be pretty moderate. The thing that i can see from your diet is that it is very carb heavy, not suggesting they should be cut out altogether but maybe look at increasing the protein a bit and reducing the carbs.

ali.c wrote: »
    Hey,

On the porridge side of things have you tried adding seasme seeds I find they add a bit of sweetness or even some sliced bananna or something rather than the frustoce by itself....

Also on your mid-morning snack you could also try reducing the yogurt but mixing in some protein powder it would change the macro profile of the meal a bit.

On the training thing maybe you could try mixing it up a bit for a while like doing some metcon training just to give your body a change of stimilus.

Personally cutting out wheat and reducing dairy drops my weight faster than anything else. I dont eat low-carb per say but it would be pretty moderate. The thing that i can see from your diet is that it is very carb heavy, not suggesting they should be cut out altogether but maybe look at increasing the protein a bit and reducing the carbs.

Yo ali.c,

You really think my diet is carb heavy?? I mean apart from porridge in morning & PWO?? Wrap or M&S salad are best options when around town, no?

I shall try throwing in some protein powder with yoghurt & sliced banana (extra carbs?). Its a bit hard to increase protein w/out soy coming out my ears as I don't eat a lot of meat/fish.

What is metcon training? metabolic conditioning??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

Yo ali.c,

You really think my diet is carb heavy?? I mean apart from porridge in morning & PWO?? Wrap or M&S salad are best options when around town, no?

Well in as much as all your meals have a decent portion of carbs in them. Have you tried P&F and P&C meals combinations?

What is metcon training? metabolic conditioning??
    I think so, sorta like the crossfit circuits etc!!

Doh! Totally forgot to do this. Ok I'll put what I ate today:

Breakfast
    2/3 cup porridge
    1 tbsp ground flaxseed
    2 tsp fructose (i'm getting there!)
    soy milk

Snack
    Nectar protein drink (zero carb) - thanks 4 advice ali.
    natural yoghurt
    apple
    mixed seeds

Lunch - Just after workout
    2 eggs
    1 slice bread
    small bit of butter
    handful of nuts

Snack
    Another handful of nuts

Dinner
    Dinner will be chickpea & leek soup w/ protein shake on the side
    Maybe bit of natural yoghurt for dessert?

Howzat?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Have you calculated your calorie intake?

2/3 of one of my cups would be 2-3 times the "recommended portion" on my odlums porridge.

Is there any reason your goal is 10.5stone? are there any other targets, like body fat% or certain waist, hip size etc.

I also plateaued at 12stone for around 18months, but I was getting thinner all that time, and since you are lifting you could well be doing the same.

• Advertisement

Those 'recommended portions' are totally out of whack. Plus what if you're 5'0'' or 6'0", male, female? They don't take that into consideration. But I'll try to bring it down to 1/2 cup. Would 1500cals/day be about right?

10.5 is my goal because I was at 11stone & I almost fitted into my favourite jeans..I'm definitely not getting thinner as now I don't fit into those jeans at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

What was your diet and exercise like when you were 11 stone Taconnol?

celestial wrote: »
    What was your diet and exercise like when you were 11 stone Taconnol?

That's the annoying part - I actually ate more carbs back then than I do now. I stuck to around 1800 cals/day

I would do 3 weights sessions a week for about 60mins, then do HIIT training on the bike afterwards twice a week and LIT once (when it was leg day).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

That's the annoying part - I actually ate more carbs back then than I do now. I stuck to around 1800 cals/day

I would do 3 weights sessions a week for about 60mins, then do HIIT training on the bike afterwards twice a week and LIT once (when it was leg day).

Hard to know why you've stalled then- do you eat any junk food? What is your alcohol intake like? How intense is your exercise.

I would say that if you haven't been losing fat over the past year it's time to maybe shake things up a bit - vary workout intensity, lift heavier weights, etc. Hard to pinpoint as I said and I'm kinda in the same boat myself - have defo lost a fair bit of fat since last June but since Jan of this year I feel I've stalled a little. I'm gonna up the exercise intensity starting from today.

Hi Celestial, I think you're right.

The HIIT training I used to do was 30 seconds work, 1 minute rest on the upright bike, 12 times and I was nothing but a dripping mass of sweat, wobbly legs & a big red face when I was finished.

Advertisement