Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting down on carbs

Options
  • 03-03-2008 2:19pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

By no means do I want to do a low-carb diet (I love them too much!) but I'm still eating too high a level of carbs. I'd love some advice on ways to cut them down, and what to replace them with.

For breakfast, I have Weetabix with low-fat milk and a drizzle of honey. I'm really not a fan of porridge. I'm usually in a bit of a rush and can't think of anything low-carb, high-protein that I can prepare and eat quickly.

The only way I can eat eggs is scrambled, I hate them otherwise. But they're crap without toast underneath.

If I have tuna, I usually have it with pasta.

Potatoes are probably my favourite food, but I've already cut down on them a lot.

Basically, I'm looking for how to have more protein in my diet, and in such a way that it doesn't need carbs with it. What else can I have tuna/chicken/red meat etc with? And what else is high in protein?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Vegetables and lots of them especially the green fibre filled types.

Honestly they are your best friend when trying to reduce carbs. Next time you're in the shops look at bag of mixed frozen vegetables and see how little carbs there are per 100 grams.

I think home made sauces can make eating lower carbs much easier. A blender, chopped tomatoes, garlic and some herbs makes eating plain chicken or fish a different ball game

Look its not easy, the easiest foods to eat are all carbs. Breakfast cereal, pasta, potatoes, rice, bread, junk food etc etc are all quick and simple to prepare.

For breakfast, just beat the eggs the night before, have the eggs beaten in a jug and get a good non stick frying pan. It takes about 5 mins if cooking with gas. You could even use the microwave but I personally don't like this.

But to answer your main question, "what to eat with my protein?" the answer is vegetables

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

+1 on fruit+veg, you'll get to like them after a while. Try some cashews or walnuts with the scrambled eggs. You could always cook a bunch of chicken fillets the night before or something like that. How about fish? you could also try some of that tinned red salmon to get a break from the tuna. There are plenty of choices, it just takes a little time to find them after ditching a food group you've been eating for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

well what is your rough daily diet like at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Later in the day it's pretty straightforward to replace rice, potatoes etc. with nice, tasty vegetables.

But I know how you feel with breakfast. It's definitely the most difficult meal to reduce the aul carbs from. What I do is when I just want some bloody cereal, I have muesli. But I only have a very small amount, and I chuck in a fistful of almonds and a fistful of cashews. It tastes like I'm eating crunchy muesli and I really satisfy that morning craving. Personally I'll also use whole or half fat milk. It really fills you up then. If I'm having this for breakfast, I'll usually supplement with a protein shake

This morning, because I ran outta muesli, I'm having my second favourite breakfast: broccoli and smoked salmon (without protein shake).

But yeah muesli with lots and lots of aldi/asia market bought nuts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Vegetables, eh. Oh. :(

No, I have a bag of frozen veg in the freezer that been ignored for a while, so I'll dig that out and give it a bash!

I'm not TOO concerned about having a high-carb breakfast if the rest of the day is low enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Or just eat Ryvita instead of toast. You'll save a bunch of carbs, and still have the crunch.

Advertisement