Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make Up Brushes

Options
  • 03-03-2008 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a decent set of make up brushes, I am looking to invest in a good set, any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭save_our_socks

I find the body shop ones really good, still kind of pricey but not as much as some of the brand ones in bts. Have used both them and mac and found they were the best after cleaning etc. and I havent had to replace them anywhere near as often as the mac ones I purchased!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Buttons_sb

I have Mac brushes and have found them the best.
    Pricy but worth it.
    =]

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

How much would a set of the mac brushes cost? Can't find any when i google them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

I got a present of 6 Clinique brushes. I find them great

My friend got a set of 15 brushes from Genuine Bobbi Brown on Ebay...if i was looking brushes for to buy I would get them.

Benefit brushes are not a great at all. Sisters blusher brush handle fell out on its 2nd use

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

clicli wrote: »
    How much would a set of the mac brushes cost? Can't find any when i google them

they do not come in sets - you buy them individually.
    Generally before Christmas they will have a limited set of 4 brushes

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice, am thinking of going into house of fraser in dundrun tonight and the body shop to see what the diffrent types are like, have lots of lovley make up, but crappy brushes, so will need to upgrade!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

I'd recommend the Body Shop brushes or Ruby and Millie brushes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

MAC do the best brushes by a mile, they are expensive but well worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Bluebells

Agreed, mac brushes are great. They're eye brushes are definately the best - 239 or 217, 219, 224 are must haves fro shadows! Dont get the mac christmas SE sets unless its for a seperate travel set as the quality isnt as good at all.

It depends what your looking for, some brands are softer but dont have the control that a firmer brush would have. I prefer to get ones from various brands to suit my needs. Bobbi brown and stila are good too. I would not chance ebay if you want real brushes, so many good fakes its ridiculas, most sellers have almost perfect feedback aswell!

I find bobbi brown are scratchy but good quality and dont have the best control. If you looking for a brush for setting powder I got a great stila one for 25euro on strawberry.net, which costs 50euro in BT! I have a set of the body shop ones and they arnt great to be honest. Very soft but the shape and bristles apply product blotchy, uneven and too sheerly. If you cant afford good ones, Everyday Minerals have some amazing soft brushes for a fraction of the price (I have 3 and prefer them to highend ones)!

They're so pricey I'd say you better off getting a few basics and building up your collection over time, unless you have hundreds on you ready to spend!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭dub0605

i have 2 foundation brushes, one is from the body shop and the other is from avon.....i find the avon one much better.

i also have an eyeshadow brush that is pout which is very good.

ebay is a good place to look, you can pick them up cheaper there

• Advertisement

I don't have hundreds!!! I have one lancome eye brush and foundation brush, and the rest are from dunnes stores which tend to fall apart every few week, thanks for all the advice girls, will go shopping around at the weekend, didn't make it to dundrum with the hailstones last night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Lola123

The body shop brushes are great. Only have the mac foundation brush, which I didn't think was that great.
    Nars do some good brushes too. I've one of their face brushes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Cupcakes

Stila brushes are good. Theyre soft and very good quality. Just dont get their foundation brush its way too small!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

you can get a decent set of Jemma Kidd brushes in a little box in boots for about €30 - her brushes are fab!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

I bought boots No7 blush, powder and eyeshadow brushes, and I reckon they equal my mac brushes but much cheaper. Not the boots own brand though, No.7.... the generic ones they sell are crap!

Oh I completly forgot!! If you are broke have a look in the art and hobby shop, easons and anywhere that has a wide range of paint brushes. Apparently thats what poor makeup artists do (see you tube). You can get some great dupes, really soft and megamega cheap! I got a gorgous soft one today for 5 euro, much nicer than a crap makeup brush you'd pay 3 times more for!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Another vote for the Mac brushes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Ruthee

Bluebells wrote: »
    ...Everyday Minerals have some amazing soft brushes for a fraction of the price (I have 3 and prefer them to highend ones)!...

i got one of the kabuki brushes off everydayminerals and its really bad..rough and scratchy,maybe mine was a bad one???

I have the MAC 182 kabuki and im so disappointed with it.I originally used a Bobbi brown one but it shed so much it was driving me mad..i got it off ebay so i thought i must have got a fake and decided to spash out on the MAC one and its exactly the same,if not worse.Yes its very soft but everyday i have to back over my face picking off the hairs. Does this happen to anyone else? I do take care of them too..regular washing etc

i also recommend the Body shop ones.I have the largest one (but its not suitable for putting on mineral makeup,hence the need for the Kabuki ones i mentioned).I used to use the body shop one for powder and it was great. now i use it to brush the stray hairs off my face from using the MAC one ..

Ruthee wrote: »
    i got one of the kabuki brushes off everydayminerals and its really bad..rough and scratchy,maybe mine was a bad one???

They recently changed the brushes on the website. I think they're sold out at the mo. The new ones are better made, synthetic and the softest brushes ive ever tried. Both the long handled kabukie and new flat top are worth it, esp with the dollar so crap! See reviews on makeupalley.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Taters

Well, if you're going to get some MAC brushes then perhaps this video will help. This girl knows a lot about MAC brushes. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭fobs

Got a set of sheiseido (sp?) for Xmas 2 years ago and they are fab. THey don't do a foundation brush but find the Mac one the best.

I got a basic small set from make up forever in town last night, and going to build up from there, thanks for all the advice!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jennybyrne

I usually pay around €40 each for my make-up brushes In BT. I just bought 3 good quality brushes at a shop in wicklow street called Hairspray for €12 each. They are real goat and sable hair..so far so good:)
    I bought boots No7 blush, powder and eyeshadow brushes, and I reckon they equal my mac brushes but much cheaper. Not the boots own brand though, No.7.... the generic ones they sell are crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

Mac, Mac, Mac!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Annabellsxxx

Im a professional make up artist and if you log onto crown brushes you can order a good set at a good price there professional brushes and all different types, sable, badger, synthic hair etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jennybyrne

I found the name of the make up brushes site

http://www.make-up.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

slightly off topic, but any suggestions on the best way to clean make up brushes? (or more specfically foundation brushes)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

You could get the Mac make up brush cleanser although I hear that baby shampoo works well too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭uniquechic

i use johnsons for my mac foundation brush works grand and not expensive!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 GayforTorres

Anyone know where i can get a really strong bronzer brush? i got a fab one as a present at christmas but it got stolen (i know...who would steal a bronzer brush:rolleyes:) anyway i loved it as it was strong and hairs didnt fall out, it was a no7 one but it only seemed to be available as part of a set before christmas so i havent found a proper replacement yet, even after checking online.

Anyone have ideas on a replacement?

Advertisement