Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boredom eating

Options
  • 02-03-2008 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Heya guys ,have any tips to stop eating out of boredom?Im finding that its become a new unhealthy hobby of mine which is making it impossible for me to loose weight.Im also addicted to drinking warm supermilk and canderal ,i have about 3 mugs a day!Im a vegetarian and to be honest i have a pretty low protein intake so would those 3 mugs of milk be bad,or good?

Im also expierencing some problems in the fact that i get up in the mornings ,eat and then go back to sleep is this unhealthy?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Hello! I just need some advice please! I try to eat healthy and work out on a regular basis, but I constantly eat when I am bored, even though I am not hungry. I get bored and keep wandering into the kitchen and grabbing all kinds of snacks. How do I stop this habit?"
    While there are many diverse reasons for overeating, boredom eating is surprisingly common. Research has reported that almost half of all adults sometimes turn to food to stifle feelings of boredom or to manage a negative mood. Most people realize that food is only a temporary distraction from boredom and not a cure. So, if you boredom eat every now and then, don't be too hard on yourself. However, if you use boredom eating a coping habit to cover up the reasons beneath your boredom, you may end up with serious weight gain and a sense that you cannot stop your eating behaviors.

What is Boredom?
    What exactly is boredom? Boredom is a complex emotion and an important signal that your life is not being lived to its fullest, most enjoyable expression. Boredom tells you that you have become weary of a life that has become dull, monotonous, repetitive, and routine. You are tired of living in a certain situation or with a certain way of thinking and acting, but you also believe that you are stuck and unable to change things for yourself. Boredom is the surface lethargic energy based on your belief that you cannot or should not change your life. Therefore, your energy is unfocused, unintentional, and bored. Yet, the only reason you are feeling bored is because beneath everything, you are ready to expand into a fuller and larger life.

Eating and Boredom
    Boredom is evidence of an inner conflict - wanting to change yet also not wanting to leave the familiar and the comfortable. Eating may serve to distract you from the conflict, or perhaps ease the tension for a short period of time. However, no matter how much you eat or how often, the conflict inside you remains. A helpful perspective is to realize that your boredom indicates an important desire for personal growth into new ways of thinking, acting, and living. Boredom invites you to take a breath and delve a bit deeper to explore personal passions and desires. Eating to suppress your boredom only serves to put your life on hold.

Increase Your Joy
    Certainly, food can bring moments of feeling good. For some it is a joyful sugar rush, or the comfortable numbness of an overly full belly. For others the calm comes when food triggers the release of the soothing brain chemical serotonin. Using food to alleviate an uncomfortable physical feeling is not a bad thing. Everyone wants to feel better, and no one is a bad person for turning to food to ease the discomfort of boredom. There is no reason to punish yourself for doing something pleasurable. What you might notice is that boredom eating does not make the actual boredom go away. At best, it creates a few moments of distraction, or some temporary relief. At worst, boredom eating leads to a soon unconscious, yet powerful repetitive habit of eating to feel better, and many unwanted pounds. What you need is not temporary distraction or numbness, but more authentically joyful moments! It is up to you to find or create joyful experiences that are even more rewarding, and more gratifying than eating.

It might be argued that we each have a "joy set point." Meaning we have an internal regulator that determines how much joy we can feel. Perhaps boredom is your way of showing yourself that you have outgrown this "joy set point." Boredom is a signal you give yourself to allow greater joy, and greater aliveness. It may take some effort, but you can have a huge effect on how much joy you allow yourself to experience. The joy and aliveness you seek do not come from outside sources such as food or temporary entertainment, but from internally deciding to focus on thoughts and actions which support your own happiness.

Ending Boredom is a Process
    Most likely, you won't overcome your boredom in a single day. Instead, feeling more excited about being alive is a process that involves introspection and outward action. It may take some time to explore and discover what you find interesting. It might help to ask yourself, "What actions or desires do I want to focus my energy on?" Check inside and notice where personal interests lie. Perhaps activities such as writing, art, dance, a new career or business, helping people, getting involved in a sport, going back to school, learning, nature, socializing, or book clubs might sound interesting? Maybe there is a personal goal that has important meaning to you? Decide to write down a list of alternatives to boredom eating, a list of things you like to do. Carry this list with you, or tape it to your refrigerator. Decide to explore different directions, act on the decision, and take note of each success.

Your mission in life is to find what brings you joy, live what brings you joy and share this joy with others. When you live and share what brings you joy, your life will be fulfilled. You will be guided from the inside out, rather than by what someone else thinks is right for you or what you perceive someone else wants you to do.

http://www.annettecolby.com/

hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Dalas

I find that REALLY chewing your food helps. Eat slowly and chew your food completely. Not only is this mode of eating better for your digestive health, but it also gives you time for your brain and body to realise when you are full. The result will be you will eat less and feel fuller. Just a tip!

Advertisement