Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet vs. Wireless: connection priority?

Options
  • 01-03-2008 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,915 ✭✭✭✭

Ok annoyed now from silly housemates...

The setup is Irish Broadband; 3 PCs directly linked via Ethernet by generic router; 3 laptops linked wirelessly by the same generic router.

Occassionaly the laptops will have trouble accessing the internet/router.

Through trial and error I've been able to consistently fix the issue by resetting the router.

However whiney housemates keep preaching it has nothing to do with the router; its the broadband connection quality (?)

They also argue that the router gives priority to the Ethernet over the wireless. This much I may be able to argue is true: If I leave my machine shut down overnight, there is a much higher chance that I will wake up the next day having connection problems - as though the other machines are hoarding the bandwidth/router priorities.

a) How much of this is actually plausible/true because none of us is really an expert at networking

b) reccomend me a wireless router that I can rely on and noob their ****ty router out of existence.

Advertisement