Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[US/IRL] 4X05 - "The Constant" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options
  • 29-02-2008 3:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭

- WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT YET SEEN "THE CONSTANT" -

Episode Title: "The Constant"
    Airdate: February 28th 2008

Synopsis (from TV.Com):
    Sayid and Desmond hit a bit of turbulence on the way to the freighter, which causes Desmond to experience some unexpected side effects.

Next New Episode: 4X06 -
    "The Other Woman"
    - March 6th 2008

SPOILER WARNING:

From now on, this thread shall reveal details of the episode mentioned above. If you have not yet seen this episode, please do not move any further down the thread.

This episode shall air on:

ABC (US) - February 28th 2008
    RTÉ (IRL) - March 3rd 2008

If you are sure you have seen the episode as mentioned above (on the channels on those original airdates), you can move down further in order to discuss the episode.

Otherwise, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED - there shall be major plot details of the episode revealed and discussed below with no spoiler tags used!

What did you think of "The Constant"? 256 votes

0%
    46%
    Sir Digby Chicken CaesarBarddamnyanksc0rk3rDont be at yourselfBKtjeAnimaTuskyBorderfoxkaimeraMr EV9bambamsuppaflyChongDrag00n79radiospanHelixjor elPsychedelic 120 votes
    28%
    mewsoYakuzaBounty HunterVolvagiaFlynnjhegartydigimanWashoutJTManShamoCreaturesteve-hosting36sunbeamsnickerpussSelikPullMyFinger!bugmatrimShamrogueDavey Devil 74 votes
    15%
    jArgHAKulganGavin W[Deleted User]LizardKingLFCFanmijuChevano RileyBodanEKRIUQSleepyEppieStephen PdoonothingGlenmannorrie ruggerMr.Nice GuyfergmcdNecronomiconhomerjk 39 votes
    3%
    Pepe LeFritsDVD-LotsDonkeyStyle \o/BarbCBinkaMooseJamcoidiAJ2012TeaServer 9 votes
    2%
    GoodshapefjonuRbaNfobsOld_-_School2-ShortDa5foot5 6 votes
    1%
    pickarooneyRuskie4RentJay Ru 3 votes
    0%
    Cartoon lover 1 vote
    1%
    Jesus Weptbaztardfrecklier 3 votes
    0%
    Punchy07 1 vote

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Oh man that was f**king brilliant! I love this show! One of the best written and executed episodes the show has ever produced imo. The last 10 minutes are just beautiful, very emotional. Desmond fans will be pleased.

So much to think about but several things are answered. It's never actually stated but I think we just found out about the sickness that Rousseau was talking about back in season 1. And there's no slow island time (thank god).

11/10. Best episode so far this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭storka

That was an amazing episode!! I'm still in awe of Lost's greatness!

I so love Des and Penny (I actually cried a little!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭spockpower

great great great episode

i was really expecting des to die:eek::eek:

i am now delighted that he didnt

sayid was great as well, really sticking up for desmondo even though they were never that close on island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭loon

...why do shows have to ruin themselves by attempting time travel... when they have no logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

That was a great ep, best of the season so far. My head hurts a little though, but it was worth it!:D

But that bit at the end, does daniel love desmond?:confused: LoL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

loon wrote: »
    ...why do shows have to ruin themselves by attempting time travel... when they have no logic.

As opposed to the smokey black monster, tropical polar bears, ghostly moving cabins and inhabitants who dont age being the pure essence of logical:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Great episode! Who needs a big, forced revelation when you've scenes like des and penny's phone call :)
    This series is nearly matching the first in quality!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

topnutz wrote: »
    As opposed to the smokey black monster, tropical polar bears, ghostly moving cabins and inhabitants who dont age being the pure essence of logical:rolleyes:

the healing island thing is true though. I went to Achill Island once, and was instantly healed of excessive poo-ing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Best episode of this series so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭loon

topnutz wrote: »

no, i mean that a show sets up internal workings and then contradicts them.

if writers just stuck to asking us how it works instead of trying to do it themselves, they'd end up with a better show.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i'm still in shock after watching that ep

must have been a good one so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Best Lost episode ever made!

If you like Quantum mechanics, crazy military drill instructers and a tear jerking love story then this is for you. Loved the "constant" analogy in the human sense and the scientific also.

Finally. An episode of season 4 I enjoyed. Brilliant storyline, emotional ending, and also we now know its christmas eve.

Does this mean next weeks episode will be Christmas Day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭HoLLLLLaments

Most saddening episode yet. The poor rat :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

After one meh episode (Sayid's) and one poor one (Kate's) this was sterling work and a great return to form.

A solid 9

Some thoughts:

The 2 Eps before this were not written by Darlton - maybe they should do the rest of the entire series themselves ;)

I can see the guy who plays Desmond getting an Emmy nommie based on this episode alone

My head hurts from the plot of this episode but it was told and written so well we'll forgive them

More thoughts later

• Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭BKtje

I don't often give episodes 10's but that was superb. Had me gripped from beginning to end!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

This is the best episode of Lost i've seen. This is what 10s are for.

Desmonds commander is the dude in rambo 4 playing the same character :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

he looks kinda like mr ackerman from red dwarf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

why cant they make every episode like this one?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Best ep of lost ever. A solid 10. Even the phone call to Penny was great, heart-felt. Lost def the best show on tv. Prison Break & Heroes don't touch this show :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭spockpower

is desmonds conscience still in 96 or is he back to his usual self??

ie. . does he now remeber sayid and all the losties or is every thing after 96 a blank??

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

I enjoyed that episode immensely.

I felt like such a woman in the last scene though, "Come on Penny, please answer the bloody phone!:D"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭PiZaRR-0

Brilliant episode. First time I've posted on these boards, but I felt I must after that. Feels like series one all over again. Easily the best show on telly. Penny's gonna save the day, and extinguish smokey. GO ON PENNY!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Head is wrecked after that episode. When you thought Lost was already confusing we now have time travelling consciousness. That aside this was a brilliant episode. After last weeks crapfest and the week before's averageness,they do an episode like this which is probably the best Lost episode since the Eko flashback days and one of the best episodes the show has made overall. But it still wrecks the head! :p

9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I haven't been that immersed in an episode of ANY show in a long, long time! The whole concept was mind-boggling to say the least but the way it was executed from start to finish was amazing!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well holy, sweet, meciful, time-travelling jesus that was fan-fúcking-tastic. I thought it was going to be good when I seen the ad on sky and found out we'd be seeing what happened to the helicopter but I didn't think it would be this good. I was gripped to my seat the whole way through. I was dying for a piss half way through, normally I'd just pause the episode and go but I couldn't stop watching. You know it's good tv when you risk pissing yourself because of it. Hopefully this continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Amazing. Brilliant brilliant episode

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jay Ru

Don't get what all the hype is about guys. Maybe I missed something but what answers did we get? Fair nuff we find out that time pass's at a different rate outside of the island and thats it. Well still know **** all bout what the people on the boat are really up to, and the whole time travel thing was a bit meh for me. And as for the emotion in the scene wit Des & Penny, IMO it was fairly corny, if u want to see some real emotion in a tv series check the wire series 5 ep 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Lost is BACK.... well back to the good awl days, first 10/10 in a long long long time... 1996 perchaps :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Agreed on the love for this episode.. one of the best in a long long time!

'Lost' is fairly light on emotional heartful scenes but when it does them.. it does them right. The phone call to Penny was just wonderfully played out and quite touching.

Again, I'd like to applaud Damon and Carlton's writing as the episode was certainly a departure (from the flashbacks and flashforwards) from what we've used to but it didn't feel too out of place either.

Hmmmm... I wonder whose "the friend on the boat" who opened the door for them in the sick-bay? It's a bit obvious at this stage but that revelation will finish an episode in the coming weeks no doubt! :)

Faraday is definitely the best of the new cast.. a very welcome addition to the show. He's superb in it.

I think it's a clear 9 / 10. Tempted to give it the straight 10 but i'm saving that.

PS - I thought Fisher Stevens (who played Minkowski) would be in it longer..!

Advertisement