Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of owning a dog

Options
  • 29-02-2008 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    If was to get a boxer how much would it cost a week for food etc. and what other expenses would there be.

How much does it cost to get a dog trained?

Also, I work 5 days a week and am home for an hour for lunch everyday. What would I need to do with the dog during the day? He would need to stay indoors if he were at the house?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

for the food it really depends on what you're going to feed him, you can get cheap crappy food or expensive food from the vet's like burns which is supposed to be good, personally I think a natural fresh meat with veg diet is good.

the initial costs would be vaccinations, neutering and a microchip if you wish.
    a bed, 2 bowls, a collar and lead or harness and maybe a coat for the wet weather, grooming brush, dog shampoo, toys, blankets etc.

you can do basic training at home, sorry I don't know how much training classes are but I'm sure someone else will.

You could also hire a dog walker to take him out for an hour or so in the afternoon because boxers are very sociable and bouncy so they need LOTS of excersize.

I also wouldn't reccomend getting a pup unless there is someone at home all day so in your position you'd be better of going for an adult boxer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

Is it really not recommended that you get a pup and not be at home during the day to care for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

I do think leaving any dog (nevermind a pup) on their own all day isn't a great idea - dogs are social animals and need their pack structure around them for healthy development. This is even more true for a pup as you are trying to establish good habits and set boundries.

I have neighbours who have a German Sheppard pup and he's left alone for most of the day and he cries and barks pretty much constantly which would suggest to me that he's pretty upset at the isolation. When I see them walking him already he's taking the upper hand and he's still small. I suspect that when he grows they'll dump him because he's unmanagable but it is THEIR fault, not the dog's. 30,000 unwanted dogs are dumped every year here simply because prospective owners didn't think through the practicalities.

Just ask yourself how would you fancy being all alone 8 hours a day every day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭hardly work'n

Bluefrog wrote: »
    I do think leaving any dog (nevermind a pup) on their own all day isn't a great idea - dogs are social animals and need their pack structure around them for healthy development. This is even more true for a pup as you are trying to establish good habits and set boundries.

Just ask yourself how would you fancy being all alone 8 hours a day every day?

I know leaving a dog at home specially an active dog like a boxer is not fair. But a lot of responsible owners have to leave there dog at home while they work & have happy healthy dogs. You said your at home for an hour at lunch. A quick run will help spell some of the energy. One alternative is doggy day care. Or if your getting a puppy there are a few places that offer a puppy classes. Also get in contact with IKC registared breeders and you could find an older dog looking for a good home. They will also be able to help you know if this is the right breed for you. And direct you to some good dog training classes in your area.

Don't discount not getting a dog becouse you work. You may just have to choose another breed or go to your local rescue center & have a look around. Your perfect dog could be there and not even a pure bred. We have three rescue dogs (all neutered!!!!!) & would never buy a purebred dog again. If your heart is set on a boxer let the rescue center now what your looking for & they might surprise you.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

As well as the financial cost you are also going to have to give up a fair bit of your time.The dog will need exercise on a regular basis, ideally twice a day everyday for its life, so you will have to be prepared to get up an hour early to walk in the morning and in the evening when you get home from work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Your perfect dog could be there and not even a pure bred. We have three rescue dogs (all neutered!!!!!) & would never buy a purebred dog again. If your heart is set on a boxer let the rescue center now what your looking for & they might surprise you.

Best of luck

I'd second this. You could save yourself 500 quid by just not going to a breeder and getting your dog from a rescue instead.

Although, financial reasons should be the least of your concerns when getting a dog, if you've never had one before, you'll be shocked about the amount of work and attention they need.

If you're willing to keep a dog in the house, a retired/rescued greyhound would be a fabulous choice. They're a lot more maneagable and will sleep most of the day if given a warm soft bed. They're quiet and won't cause a racket to upset the neighbours. They love routine so you coming home at lunch time will be their highlight. Two 20 minute walks a day (one at lunch, one in the evening, and a longer walk at weekends) would keep then happy. They are also not as highly strung as boxers, keeping a boxer locked up all day might drive him demented. They'll also eat a lot less than a boxer would.

http://www.irishanimals.com/adoptagreyhound.html

Heres a few websites to check out www.paws.ie www.ashanimalrescue.com

And think this is the best one of all www.freewebs.com/boxerrescueireland/ There's a number there to ring & all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

I really like greyhounds. There are some gorgeous dogs there on http://www.irishanimals.com/adoptagreyhound.html

I think I would like to adopt and give some poor dog a second chance. Poor things! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Second the elderly greyhound option for your circumstance. They won't mind being alone while you are in work, all the more peaceful for a good long snooze. Then a nice walk and lots of lovin' when you get home. Almost any other dog will cause you stress and worry leaving them on their own for that long each day.

Second the elderly greyhound option for your circumstance. They won't mind being alone while you are in work, all the more peaceful for a good long snooze. Then a nice walk and lots of lovin' when you get home. Almost any other dog will cause you stress and worry leaving them on their own for that long each day.

I'm not so sure about elderly though. Would a young greyhound not be ok?

• Advertisement

Well a 'retired' greyhound can be as young as 18 months .... you'd be better off getting a slightly older one - maybe around 3 or 4, so they're a wee bit calmer. Unfortunately, you have a huge choice in the shelters!

Good on you considering a greyhound - they really are fantastic pets, and so affectionate! (I have 2!)

Bluefrog wrote: »
    I have neighbours who have a German Sheppard pup and he's left alone for most of the day and he cries and barks pretty much constantly which would suggest to me that he's pretty upset at the isolation. When I see them walking him already he's taking the upper hand and he's still small. I suspect that when he grows they'll dump him because he's unmanagable but it is THEIR fault, not the dog's. 30,000 unwanted dogs are dumped every year here simply because prospective owners didn't think through the practicalities.
    /QUOTE]

I actually have a neighbour and their dog does that all the time. Barking and howling because he is left locked up. I have thought once or twice about calling the ISPCA. Would this be warranted?

Glowing wrote: »
    Well a 'retired' greyhound can be as young as 18 months .... you'd be better off getting a slightly older one - maybe around 3 or 4, so they're a wee bit calmer. Unfortunately, you have a huge choice in the shelters!

Good on you considering a greyhound - they really are fantastic pets, and so affectionate! (I have 2!)

How much does it cost to feed one for a week?

I actually have a neighbour and their dog does that all the time. Barking and howling because he is left locked up. I have thought once or twice about calling the ISPCA. Would this be warranted?

Well you can call them all you like, but in reality, once the pup is fed and has shelter, there is not a lot they can do.

This is a very common situation unfortunately.

Where is the pup kept during the day?

They don't eat a huge amount of food, but what they do eat needs to be good quality. They can have sensitive stomachs so their dried food can be a bit more expensive than the regular 'pedigree chum' stuff.

With all due respect, if your worried about the cost of food, would you be able to cope if the dog needed vetinerary treatment? Visits to the vet aren't cheap these days, and the cost of medication etc can add up.

Gain does a lot of Greyhound food for dogs in training & out of training that is very reasnable in price and it is designed for greyhounds. They have a special food for dogs out of training with a very low protien content. Plus a bit of boiled chicken (not last nights curry takeaway!!) is always a nice treat mixed in with the food.

What ever you do please spay or neutror you dog! You dog will be happier & healthier for it. You eliminate a lot of cancers dogs get! Plus no little "accidents" Your dog will be happier & you as an owner will be too!!

With all due respect, if your worried about the cost of food, would you be able to cope if the dog needed vetinerary treatment? Visits to the vet aren't cheap these days, and the cost of medication etc can add up.

Absolutely not worried....yet!

I have a nice income and know that I can probably afford a dog. I need to have an idea though to add into the budget to see how much expense it will be over the course of a month...a year etc.

If a greyhound eats less like you say and a boxer more....then perhaps a greyhound might cost me 400e less over the course of the year. Half my insurance cost for the car.

So this greyhound food then...how much is an economy bag and how long will it last. I just need to know if the dog will cost me 20e to feed a week...10e a week etc.

Thanks for all the advice so far though.

Gain does a lot of Greyhound food for dogs in training & out of training that is very reasnable in price and it is designed for greyhounds. They have a special food for dogs out of training with a very low protien content. Plus a bit of boiled chicken (not last nights curry takeaway!!) is always a nice treat mixed in with the food.

What ever you do please spay or neutror you dog! You dog will be happier & healthier for it. You eliminate a lot of cancers dogs get! Plus no little "accidents" Your dog will be happier & you as an owner will be too!!

If I get a dog I will get everything done required to be a good dog owner including the above.

I'm sorry, i don't have an exact figure for you! But hang on long enough and you should get a reply from someone else ... there are a few greyhound owners here.

In the mean time, have a read of the Greyhound care sheets online - do a google for 'Greyhounds as pets" for a better idea of their care.

Well you can call them all you like, but in reality, once the pup is fed and has shelter, there is not a lot they can do.

This is a very common situation unfortunately.

Where is the pup kept during the day?

What you can do is keep a log of times the dog is barking, ect & report to the guards as a sound nusince. You will get further that way. Becouse unfortantly the laws surrounding animal welfare aren't very strict & as long water, food & shelter are provided there is little they can do. But a noise nuisince is a different matter. It is just said that you have to go down that route. And even worse for the dog. Maybe leave them a flyer with the name & number of an local dog trainer or classes in your area? If they are out walking him in the evening that's a good start!!

• Advertisement

We feed our three Gain & it works out to about €40 per week in Dry Food with another €40 in "treats" they are extremly spoiled rotten!!

I think the last time I checked for the greyhound food it was about €20 for a 20kg bag. I'm not sure how much you would go thru? I'd say anthor greyhound owner would know. Two of my three are over 60kg! So they do eat alot!!

Our annual vet bills run between €150-€200 per year.

Toys don't ask!!! Trips to the beach ect ect will all add up but you get back a thousand fold in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

I used to work on the edges of the greyhound industry. A colleague rescued a few greyhounds and was interested to learn that track vets were unfamiliar with ailments that greyhounds develop as they get older. That is because the vast majority of greyhounds don't get older. They are disposed of when they are no longer of use.

Be aware that an adult greyhound won't be toilet trained. Have any of you greyhound owners had problems with this?

I'd agree with the posters who say they are great pets. Beautiful to look at, lazy and just need 2 short walks a day.

There's also little bags of frozen meat cubes that you could get in Aldi/Lidl to cook and mix in with the dry food that'd be a nice little treat too, and there are only around €2 a bag.

check out www.paws.ie and www.cottagerescue.ie they usually have lots of greyhounds and lurchers.

Good for you for considering a greyhound, I really want one some day too, they seem like lovely dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I would recommend pet insurance for anyone especially those getting a purebreed. It has saved my gf about €5k in the 2.5 years we have our dog. I would hate to ever be in the situation where my dog needed a big operation and I couldn't afford it. :(

mags16 wrote: »
    Be aware that an adult greyhound won't be toilet trained. Have any of you greyhound owners had problems with this?

Not necessarily true. Racing dogs are usually confined to crates for most of the day, and have learnt not to spoil their sleeping areas. So they will be aware that they can't just go 'anywhere'!

They might need a bit of help with training for the first few days (i.e bring him out every hour and give him mad praise when he goes), but they're intelligent and it will usually only take a day or two for the message to sink in.

Not necessarily true. Racing dogs are usually confined to crates for most of the day, and have learnt not to spoil their sleeping areas. So they will be aware that they can't just go 'anywhere'!

They might need a bit of help with training for the first few days (i.e bring him out every hour and give him mad praise when he goes), but they're intelligent and it will usually only take a day or two for the message to sink in.

Most dogs want to be clean and do not want to sleep in a soiled bed or area. It's amazing what a few minutes of your time every day will do. Also a lot of greyhounds are trained to go on command before races. And a routine too will help make it easier for your dog.

Most of the reason dogs mess in the house is not becouse the dog is stupid or lazy it's becouse the owner hasn't taken the time to train them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Most of the reason dogs mess in the house is not becouse the dog is stupid or lazy it's becouse the owner hasn't taken the time to train them

Very true!!!

javaboy wrote: »
    I would recommend pet insurance for anyone especially those getting a purebreed. It has saved my gf about €5k in the 2.5 years we have our dog. I would hate to ever be in the situation where my dog needed a big operation and I couldn't afford it. :(

Why more so for a purebred? :confused:

As for the toilet training, I wouldn't worry about that, my dog wasn't house trained when I got her aged 3 and she caught on within a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

kerrysgold wrote: »
    Why more so for a purebred? :confused:

As for the toilet training, I wouldn't worry about that, my dog wasn't house trained when I got her aged 3 and she caught on within a few days.

It's not always true but often purebred dogs are more prone to certain conditions. I think it comes from not enough variety in the gene pool. Mongrels are generally (but not always) a bit hardier.

Edit: Some quick googling tells me this may be a bit of a myth. Most evidence is probably anecdotal anyway.

• Advertisement

javaboy wrote: »
    It's not always true but often purebred dogs are more prone to certain conditions. I think it comes from not enough variety in the gene pool. Mongrels are generally (but not always) a bit hardier.

Edit: Some quick googling tells me this may be a bit of a myth. Most evidence is probably anecdotal anyway.

So how much does insurance cost?

Also, are there issues with spoiling a dog? ie. Giving it too much attention and making it into a fool?

Advertisement