Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl external hard drive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20080303.p.Targa320GBExternalhardDrive

99 quid isnt bad might just have to pop in nice one man

Edit-weird when i clicked your link i got the 404 but when i went looking on their site and got the same link it now works!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

maplins have 500 gig for approx e125 and if you create an online account with them you can get a fiver off. Not sure the make but think its decent enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭masterwriter

99 quid isnt bad might just have to pop in nice one man
    You think the brand is Ok? 3 year waranty
    Edit-weird when i clicked your link i got the 404 but when i went looking on their site and got the same link it now works!
    the link seems funny to me too long won't fit without scrolling:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭fdevine

There are quite a few 500Gb drives around for only €20 more. Argos, Peats, PC World and others I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

pixmania had/have a seagate 500gb external HD for €99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I got a 500gb external from lidl not too long ago for 110

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I've never heard of that brand – I'd go with Western Digital or Seagate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

The drives themselves are usually western digital or similar....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭savemejebus

do those other drives have eSata ports too?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Mine does from last time they sold them.

• Advertisement

The external hard drive, which i want for back up, does not have to be the same rpm as the drive in the pc right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭savemejebus

MarkR wrote: »
    Mine does from last time they sold them.

I meant the non-lidl ones being mentioned in this thread.
    The external hard drive, which i want for back up, does not have to be the same rpm as the drive in the pc right?

no it doesn't

no it doesn't

unklerosco wrote: »
    The drives themselves are usually western digital or similar....
    This one is Targa.I was in and got a catalogue Apparently the offer does not start until next Monday 3 March, oh I see it says that on the site:-(

There is also a pc around 799

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

no it doesn't
    That's not necessarily true. A lot of these external drives are the "hig capacity" drives of 2 years ago and since storage sizes have gotten bigger (500 GB internals for less than a ton these days for example), they slap a case around them and sell them as externals. Given that's it's got an eSata port, it's probably a 7200 sata drive in it, but couldn't guarantee that. The branding might be Targa, but the manufacturer of the drive tends to be Western Digital.

A friend of mine has one of those Targa ones and has never had a peep of trouble with it. Personally, I'd have no problem at all buying Aldi or Lidl tech, from what I've seen of it over the years it's built well and they aren't afraid to give you some handy extras.

Kharn wrote: »
    That's not necessarily true.
    was that in response to my question kharn?
    The branding might be Targa, but the manufacturer of the drive tends to be Western Digital.
    Oh I see, WD is good have one in other laptop

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

There's this 500Gb for €94 + postage
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=333054
    I bought one of these last year. The manufacturers warranty on them is 5 years.

Or this for €95 + postage
    http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4TJL&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=500gb&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

Edit: Actually they only have USB connections. If eSata is important to you then these aren't for you.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=333054

500 Gb here, what would delivery be

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

If you click the buy button it shows up the postage rates. Standard is €12.50 with a 3-4 day delivery time.

If you click the buy button it shows up the postage rates. Standard is €12.50 with a 3-4 day delivery time.
    OK are they reliable? Bet they don't take laser?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I've had no hassle from either komplett or dabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

yes they're reliable. check under Biz > commercial interaction > komplett and no they dont take laser. just out in another order with them for 195, they're generally very good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Cheers for these links folks, my Hard Drive needs to get repaired (data recovered) and that's gonna be costly (anyone know anyone who could do it on the cheap), but in the meantime ive more music i need to be backed up and need a hard drive,and i think ill purchase one of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

Ive only ever had a problem with one of these once. After i dropped it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

If you had a choice between the Lidl one and this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Essential-500GB-External/dp/B000WP0NM8/ref=pd_sbs_ce_img_3
    for GBP65/EUR88 (can get it delivered to brother in law for free, but will take me a few weeks to collect it, but in no hurry).
    I would assume the WD with Amazon is a much better deal? Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

http://www.ibood.com/site/eu/iboodSpecs.php

This 1 might be worth a luck.Seems to do a lot more than hold files

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

http://www.lidl.ie/IE/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20080303.p.Targa320GBExternalhardDrive

I wondered if anyone has any experience of this as I am in the market for an external hard drive.
    I am posting here because it is an offer from Lidl, please move if I am wrong.

komplett have the WD MyBook 500GB for €96 + €12 postage, much better value.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=343423

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

I want to warn boardies about ****gate drives, I had a freeagent 500gig one from maplin, they had a load of them for 125e in nov 07, anyway after 3 weeks it gave up, i think it rolled over on the carpet, certainly didnt take a knock.

end result was 400gig of my documents, divx, mp3s etc gone.

so keep well away from s***gate drives for your own benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

I second the warning about freeagent drives .. the vents are in the bottom apparently someone in seagate didn't realise that hot air rises .. in short heat related failure in a couple of months.

Having had a mybook I can't say I'd recommend those either. I would advise anyone to read the online reviews extensively before making a purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I want to warn boardies about ****gate drives, I had a freeagent 500gig one from maplin, they had a load of them for 125e in nov 07, anyway after 3 weeks it gave up, i think it rolled over on the carpet, certainly didnt take a knock.

end result was 400gig of my documents, divx, mp3s etc gone.

so keep well away from s***gate drives for your own benefit.
    paddyp wrote: »
    I second the warning about freeagent drives .. the vents are in the bottom apparently someone in seagate didn't realise that hot air rises .. in short heat related failure in a couple of months.

Having had a mybook I can't say I'd recommend those either. I would advise anyone to read the online reviews extensively before making a purchase.

Everyone's experiences with Hard Drives will differ. Back in the day I was told that Maxtor had the best internal drives so I only bought Maxtor. What was the only brand I ever had the click of death from - - - >> Maxtor.

I haven't bought Maxtor now in a few years and about 6 months ago I bought a 500GB Seagate Freeagent. I haven't had one spot of bother with it. It's used everyday and so far it hasn't given me an ounce of trouble.

Just stick with the big name brands and you should be fine. Everyone will have something positive/negative to say about each manufacturer and always ALWAYS back up your data if it's precious to you.

Advertisement