Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only Fish and White Meat?

Options
  • 23-02-2008 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

I've been eating really healthy for the passed few months - no junk food what so ever, no dairy(milk, so no tea or coffe also), 2.5 litres of water a day, gettin the 5 a day for fruit. Alot of this was doctors advice to improve skin etc but now I'm wonderin about red meat. Would it be a good thing to cut out all red meat (steak, bacon, pork, lamb, beef etc) and just eat like chicken and fish in the meat department.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭O.P.H

But would you say cutting out red meat is benefical for the condition of your skin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭cookiequeen

I would say on a whole its not going to be benificial for your skin because of a reduced intake of Iron. Esp if you're a woman. Please take supplements esp calcium ( from your lack of dairy produce) and iron

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

From a health perspective, I can see no reason to cut out red meat from your diet. Bacon maybe, because of the salt and nitrates (preservative).

But grass fed beef is one of the most nutritious and healthful things you can eat.

Hmmm, thanks for the advice, I'm gonna keep eating red meat just maybe not the rashers and stuff like that but I never really thought about taking calcium and iron supplements, cheers.

Don't supplement Iron, especially if you are a man or more mature. It's not like other minerals that you can rid yourself of rather easily. Iron is an oxidant. And Iron storage has been linked with heart disease, cancers and hormonal disorders.

The only reason to supplement Iron is if you give a lot of blood, are anaemic or pregnant (all under express supervision of your physician).

If you want to supplement minerals, make them magnesium (preferably chelated or magnesium citrate, and not at the same time as calcium) and zinc. Potassium, selenium, chromium and calcium won't do you any harm.

• Advertisement

I take Pharmaton capsules daily, should I take some suplements with this or is this enough, since I dont eat much dairy kinda worried not gettin enough calcium.

Personally I wouldn't worry. I think its importance is overstated. Supplement calcium if it makes you feel better, it won't do you any harm anyway.

You see calcium has the dairy lobbyists, vitamin c has the citrus sellers trumpeting its many wonders, and fibre has the grain growers and cereal sellers telling you just how essential their products are for your health.

Magnesium has none of this industry backed hype. But lot of research has shown its deficiency correlated with heart disease, sudden death, diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma, chronic fatigue syndrome, migraine headaches, cramps, PMS, depression and other psychiatric disorders, as well as susceptibility to the brain-damaging effects of food additives like MSG and aspartame.

So... if I had to pick one micronutrient to supplement with, it would, without a doubt, be magnesium.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Same advice as the others really: I see no reason for you to cut out red meat. Lean beef is great!

Advertisement