Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing breed.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

Vegeta wrote: »
    I think this debate is nonsense

Every dog is different, even within the same breed. Just like people

...The other dog is a complete firecracker, lunatic, typical spaniel, strong willed but she is an amazing hunter....

There is a reason you just used the word typical there...

WYK

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

wyk wrote: »
    There is a reason you just used the word typical there...

WYK

Yes there is, you can do all the research you want and plan on having a typical example of the breed but your pup may not grow up to be a typical example.

Anyone looking for a pet dog should go to a rescue center and pick a young fully grown dog which is exactly as they need, size, personality, grooming and exercise requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Yes there is, you can do all the research you want and plan on having a typical example of the breed but your pup may not grow up to be a typical example.

Anyone looking for a pet dog should go to a rescue center and pick a young fully grown dog which is exactly as they need, size, personality, grooming and exercise requirements.

Excellent advice !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Annika30

It seems like some people are missing my original point, I never said that you have to use your dog for what it was originally bred for. I gave the example of my own Ridgeback which I don't use for tracking down lions.:D
    For me this is a real culture shock, in Sweden most people would do research before getting a pup/dog and I presume that's one of the reasons why we don't have any strays or need to put down 15,000+ dogs a year. I find it a little bit strange that some people don't seem to realise how big this problem is in Ireland and that some people need to start changing their attitude when it comes to dog ownership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I doubt people who are speaking to each other on a forum about pets and animals need to be told this.
    Obviously we are all interested in our pets enough to be on this forum so it seems a bit pointless to me telling us we need to do more research. Of course people should think before getting a dog but most don't. Sure some of them don't even treat their kids the way we would treat our dogs/pets. In the real world some people are just arse holes and will never think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Perfect.. that is exactly what I aim to do... nice one. Annika, why can't you get your point across like that instead of sneering, deriding and basically talking nonsense. Nobody missed your original point, your just crap at getting your point across without sounding like some "know it all" snob.

"I would never have gotten a husky for instance if I wasn't going to do some sledding with him"

Silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

May... which was covered in my post. As you and I both stated, there is a reason why breeds have types. Nothing is a guaranty. But if you do not choose a pure breed, you are guaranteed to know little about what the dog may end up as.

Excellent advice. Except I would argue for a Greyhound, myself. ;)

WYK
    http://www.pbase.com/wyk/greyhound_rescue_ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Annika30

Lightening , you don't know me nor have have you managed to grasp what I was saying. I never insulted you and to be honest it is you that comes across as obnoxious and rude. You accuse me of sounding like a 'know-it-all', when you dismiss my ideas with a wave of your up turned nose. I can't understand why you would spend your time on here being so negative and insulting, it makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Annika30 wrote: »
    Lightening , you don't know me nor have have you managed to grasp what I was saying. I never insulted you and to be honest it is you that comes across as obnoxious and rude. You accuse me of sounding like a 'know-it-all', when you dismiss my ideas with a wave of your up turned nose. I can't understand why you would spend your time on here being so negative and insulting, it makes no sense.
    Pot, Kettle, black rearrange these and add a few more to form a sentance.

Last warning. Next time you are banned. No further warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I can't understand why you would spend your time on here being so negative

Read your first post on this thread. It's negative towards all dog owners but of course yourself.

I really find it hard to believe you are a dog trainer. To do this job, you have to understand people and human nature as well as dogs. (you certainly don't)

I do dismiss your ideas, they are plain silly and show a lack of understanding of dogs...
    Would it not make more sense to pick the breed depending what you are going to use the dog for?

Silly statement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Annika30--Ive stayed out of your argument with Bond for long enough.Ive even pm`d you to post a thread in feedback to air your greivences(sp?) where it should be.

As far as Im concerned you are dragging this forum down with your petty arguments and Ive had enough.

Consider this a final warning.If you have a problem with a moderator then put a thread in feedback where it belongs and not in a thread where it doesnt have any bearing on the topic.

Richie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

wyk wrote: »
    Excellent advice. Except I would argue for a Greyhound, myself. ;)
    WYK

You don't have to convince me, I think lurchers and greyhounds are amazing animals and I hope to have one (a rescue dog) if I can ever get my bloody house built

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Bond-007 wrote: »
    but a lot of dogs are chosen for their looks or even worse because Brittany & Paris have teeny tiny dogs in handbags!

I actually seen a girl in Cabra the other day, with her two dogs in handbags!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Mairt wrote: »
    I actually seen a girl in Cabra the other day, with her two dogs in handbags!.

I hope thats not her idea of taking her two for a 'walk'! :)

Advertisement