Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheese please

Options
  • 22-02-2008 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just curious about the various cheeses.

I don't eat cheese very often maybe a slice or two a week but when I do I'm usually in work and in the canteen I can't tell but I assume it's not low fat cheese.

The choices are usually red cheddar/swiss and a few others.

I guess the answer here is don't eat cheese at work. but if I am to have a slice in general does anyone know which is the healthiest/low in cal cheese?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Most cheese contains a ton of fat the one exception is low-fat cottage cheese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

For a healthy varied diet, and a proper intake of calcium, you need 3 portions of dairy a day according to the food pyramid. So as long as you aren't eating more than 2 or 3 yoghurts a day and drinking more than 2 glasses of milk a day then a slice or 2 of any cheese isn't going to do much harm. The less processed the better, you can't beat a good strong cheddar, a little goes a long way as its tasty so you need less to flavour food.

Where did we get the idea that cheese isn't healthy? The saturated fat found in cream/butter/oil has no calcium, at least eating a small amount of cheese regularly is a good souce of calcium.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

tesco do a healthy living cheddar. The grated is better than the block version, well nutrition wise. If is about 35% protein and 15% fat I think.

Otherwise cottage cheese and low fat spread like light philidephia are low cal. But I put them in a different category

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I tried that healthy living "cheddar" and I don't understand how you could willingly put that shíte in your body. It's so unbelievably processed that, when I grated it, I A) couldn't clean the grater afterwards and B) nearly drew blood when I stabbed myself with a stray bit of cheese that had hardened into a knife-like structure. At least an inch a day went hard and unuseable, even wrapped up in the fridge, and it made me feel thoroughly ill when I ate it.

Maybe you've had a better experience with it than I, rubadub, but I'd rather have a small bit of real cheese and brave the calories than put something so processed and fake in my mouth! Unless someone eats a phenonemal amount of cheese daily, it's not going to do them much harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Mmmmmmm cheese.

(apologies for the uninformative post :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

you need 3 portions of dairy a day according to the food pyramid.
    Oh god... just leave now.

IMO cheese is fine, but you certainly don't need it. I eat it regularly. A filling snack and a good source of protein. Yes it has a goodly amount of saturated fat in it, not really a bad thing. Yes it can have a deceptive amount of calories, anything with fat in it will, this fat is also very filling. You're never going to eat anything near a whole block of cheese for a snack. I'm not sure I could say similar for rice crackers, biscuits etc. You can keep munching on them 'til the cows come home.

Like Faith said, stay away from the processed stuff. Firstly, it just tastes mank, nevermind all the lovely additives, sugar and trans fat etc in them. Check the ingredients, if it has much more than "milk, salt, bacterial culture and rennet" in it put it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Gizmodeon

I love cheese too!

but I found out im lactose intolerant 2 years ago
    it was so cruel:(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Faith wrote: »
    Maybe you've had a better experience with it than I, rubadub, but I'd rather have a small bit of real cheese and brave the calories than put something so processed and fake in my mouth!
    I have never had the solid block, only the grated. I have it lightly melted on stuff. The high protein and low fat content means it can burn if baked or toasted too much. I actually like hardened cheese like you describe and might actually go for the block now!

I fully agree with the idea of having a small bit of what you like, I do this with other things like chocolate.

Like Faith said, stay away from the processed stuff. Firstly, it just tastes mank, nevermind all the lovely additives, sugar and trans fat etc in them. Check the ingredients, if it has much more than "milk, salt, bacterial culture and rennet" in it put it back.
    This grated "healthy living" cheese has only potato starch listed as a added ingredient, as an anti-caking agent.
    protein 34.2%
    carbs 1.4%
    which sugar 0.1%
    fat 14%
    of which saturates 9.3%

I use it as a high protein source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I really like the Low-Low cheddar slices. They taste like real mature cheddar and have a very good texture on their own or in sandwiches. They don't melt as well as full-fat cheddar but they do melt into something edible. In work, I quite like to toast a bit of brown bread, pop some mature cheddar on top and stick them in the microwave for 20 seconds. Cheesy deliciousness.

I can't find the nutritional information online right now I'm afraid, although I have searched. All I can tell you is that one slice of Low-Low cheddar is 1.5 points on the WeightWatchers plan, which is the equivalent of about 3 medium apples, or one small pot of Glenisk natural yoghurt, or 30g of white rice, or 15g (tablespoon) of pine nuts. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'd usually go for Edam or Gouda as it doesn't seem to have as high a fat content - by this I mean if you toast it it doesn't have the layer of oil that you see on toasted cheddar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement