Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

America To Tighten Entry Rules.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hagar wrote: »
    What have they got that we need that we can't get in the fantastic cities in Europe?
    A painfully weakened currency that makes everything cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Let's spend our money in Europe and weaken it a bit more for them. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I could be mistaken, but methinks Burger King is owned by a holding company called Gen Met which is UK owned and headquartered?
    It used to be part of the same group of companies as Diageo/ Guinness, but I think that the various drinks companies and the "other stuff" were split off into seperate ownership a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

WARNING: TERROR ALERT

I expect to see lots more stories like this, a few scares at airports/on planes over the next 6 months, and more.
    There is an election coming up after all! The republicans need to do their thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Let's spend our money in Europe and weaken it a bit more for them. :D
    European exports to the U.S. are getting hammered because of it.

The cheaper imports from the U.S. are propping up their economy.

They like the weak dollar. Particularly right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

King Burger
    That was Ireland's first 'burger' joint back in the '70's. On O'Connell Street in Dublin near the Savoy IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Meh, I have dual Irish/American nationality, doesn't affect me! Although, I'm not that pushed on visiting America, tbh. I've been there twice and it was ok.( oh and when I was born but I can't remember that!)

If this comes in place, I sincerely doubt Europe will put in the same restrictions. We want the merkins to come here and spend their monies.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

watna wrote: »
    Meh, I have dual Irish/American nationality, doesn't affect me! Although, I'm not that pushed on visiting America, tbh. I've been there twice and it was ok.( oh and when I was born but I can't remember that!)

If this comes in place, I sincerely doubt Europe will put in the same restrictions. We want the merkins to come here and spend their monies.

I also have both US and Irish passports (International man of mystery, me!). Isn't shannon supposed to be getting preclearance status soon? I wonder will that make it a more time effective choice when flying to the states?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

MarkR wrote: »
    I also have both US and Irish passports (International man of mystery, me!). Isn't shannon supposed to be getting preclearance status soon? I wonder will that make it a more time effective choice when flying to the states?
    It always has been I thought, and every flight from Ireland to the US has immigration done before the flight leaves here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭BKtje

Plan to head to the US in June for a few music festivals and tbh, this doesnt bother me in the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I believe it's a step further. Shannon will be able to have flights going to more US airports. Previously would have been limited to those whose security is adequate for international travel. Now they can land in the smaller airports. That's the gist of what I've read anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Again, I ask:

does the US have the right to pick and choose who they allow in? Of course.

Quit moaning and go to a decent holiday destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I'm going to Australia in 2 weeks and I had to apply for an ETA. I'll still have to go through customs as well. It's no big deal, just part of the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mr kr0nik

2Scoops wrote: »
    It's hardly going to change anything. An undercover air marshal can only be good news... unless you are a terrorist, that is.

And a 4 day wait for special permission, and then only assuming that you do not pre-register, for flights that 9 times out of 10 you book months in advance? Gimme a break. Yiz would get mad at anything just because it's the Americans.

The punishment for not complying with these small issues? The visa waiver program, a huge FAVOUR to this country, will be abolished.

Are you for real? Since when is allowing a loaded weapon (all Air Marshals are armed) onto a plane a good thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Exactly.

Aint you ever seen that documentary Con Air?:rolleyes:

Personally Id reckon armed guards on a plane are quite a good idea in a hijack situation. Hijack attempts on Israeli airlines became redundant because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,006 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

rb_ie wrote: »
    But with these new measures, they're trying to prevent the bad coming to their country, which is good. Understand?

On paper, Yes. But when has that ever stopped a determined jihadist from slipping through the net? There is always a loophole. The price you are paying for a little extra deterrent is a lot of bad politic.
    seamus wrote: »
    Ah yes, because all the terrorists are coming from *outside" the US, that's right :rolleyes:

For a nation which was started by immigrants, they have to be one of the most xenophobic of all the western nations.

Have to completely agree. Kids are taught British people are bad (Boston Massacre particularly), Communists want to take over the world, Mexicans are diseased, Black people are dirty, Nazi Germany, and did I mention the Middle East? All of these things I had in my head, before I moved to Ireland. So yes, terribly Xenophobic. That was even Pre-9/11.
    rb_ie wrote: »
    I would LOVE to see detailed background checks on those immigrating here carried out, and subsequent prevention measures taken to ensure they don't come here should they not meet the criteria set out in an immigration policy. LOVE it.

Yea but your policy is already bull****. My student visa requires 85% of class attendance, and doesn't even remotely reflect whatever Grades I receive while I'm over here. Where's the logic in that? I don't mind you taking my biometrics but have a bit of common sense.
    People should just stop going there.

If you've seen one McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Ben & Jerry', Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, etc you've seen 'em all. Seriously, aside from a few stunning natural sites the towns and cities are franchised copies of each other.

What have they got that we need that we can't get in the fantastic cities in Europe?

"Land of the free, home of the brave"; becoming less free every day and the braves still live in reservations in the 21st century.

Thanks but no thanks.

American Suburbia: 4 lane highways and everything repeats over itself like a driving sequence in The Flintstones. I guess its just a culture thing: look around the major cities and you'll spot all the signs of colonial civilisation and whatnot. Other than that: meh, stay at home.

As for Land of the Free, Home of the Brave: can someone translate that into Irish for me.. I need it for a side project. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

they need tighter exit rules imo

..........?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

robinph wrote: »
    It always has been I thought, and every flight from Ireland to the US has immigration done before the flight leaves here.

Never in my experience, gone to the states twice in the last 2 years.

I've flown:

Dublin - Canada - USA

Went through immigration in Canada before boarding for USA.

Dublin - Shannon - Philadelphia

Went through immigration upon arrival in Philadelphia (City of Brotherly love my arse.)

Phili is a dirty port of call if you ask me. Was there on Christmas eve and everyone working there seemed to go out of their way to be bastards. I mean, just proper cattle prodding. God help you if you have to ask someone for directions, they act like you've asked them to run a mile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Tight entry?
    Giggidy.

lol..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The-Rigger wrote: »
    WARNING: TERROR ALERT

I expect to see lots more stories like this, a few scares at airports/on planes over the next 6 months, and more.
    There is an election coming up after all! The republicans need to do their thing!

Airport alert: The terror alert is set by the Department of Homeland Security is set to ORANGE!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭Archeron

Ruu wrote: »
    Airport alert: The terror alert is set by the Department of Homeland Security is set to ORANGE!:eek:

Well, AFAIK, it was red. Well done America, your policies have made you an entire color safer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

mr kr0nik wrote: »
    Are you for real? Since when is allowing a loaded weapon (all Air Marshals are armed) onto a plane a good thing?

Yes, because armed air marshals have been known to go on indiscriminate killing sprees on planes. :rolleyes: Seriously though, wouldn't it be would nice to have an armed policeman on board in case of an emergency? The idea has been a rip-roaring success on US domestic and international flights thus far.

Archeron wrote: »
    Well, AFAIK, it was red. Well done America, your policies have made you an entire color safer!

It's never lower than orange. Keep the public in a permanent state of uneasiness, I say! :) Just once though, I'd like it to be green or even blue...

Seriously though, wouldn't it be would nice to have an armed policeman on board in case of an emergency?
    If an Air Marshall draws his weapon, shoots and punctures the skin of an aircract flying att 30,000ft the terrorist has achieved his goal without having to smuggle his own weapon on board. Explosive decompression at that height means death for everyone on the plane unless there is a miracle.
    The idea has been a rip-roaring success on US domestic and international flights thus far.
    So far so good, I hope it keeps fine for you.

If an Air Marshall draws his weapon, shoots and punctures the skin of an aircract flying att 30,000ft the terrorist has achieved his goal without having to smuggle his own weapon on board. Explosive decompression at that height means death for everyone on the plane unless there is a miracle.

So far so good, I hope it keeps fine for you.

You seem to think that these guys are a little trigger happy! I'm sure they are trained and made aware of the dangers of firing a weapon in an airplane. They also have non-lethal, non-projectile weapons to use.

I'm sure that whatever ammunition they are using is not sufficient to penetrate the cabin. Probably more along the lines of Rubber bullets packed into a machine pistol.

As for terror alerts I have a firefox plugin that keeps me appraised of the current level in my statusbar :)

• Advertisement

You seem to think that these guys are a little trigger happy!
    A trigger happy American lawman? Whatever will they think of next?

Advertisement