Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One rate & I'll be happy...

Options
  • 21-02-2008 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭

Please Mods DO NOT move this!!! I'm not looking to set up a diary I just want advice on this cuz I'm not planning on posting up a regular diary...

So PLEASE don't move it!!!

Strawberry crumble yoghurt (from insomnia/cafe sol)

Snack
    Mango crumble yoghurt (as above, slight variation, they're sooo good! )

Lunch
    Crayfish sandwich on brown bread

Dinner
    Meat w/veg includes 2 potatos or a pasta dish!

Water throughout the day and coffee

Anyone?>

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Crumbles are made with flour, butter and sugar rubbed together. The fruit is likely to contain about 60% sugar. They're not good.

If that's your daily diet, it's very poor tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

You'd be much better off replacing those crumbles with fruit as a snack.

Don't you have breakfast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Faith wrote: »
    Crumbles are made with flour, butter and sugar rubbed together. The fruit is likely to contain about 60% sugar. They're not good.

If that's your daily diet, it's very poor tbh.

I wish someone would actually know the ones I'm talking about. You get them in Cafe Sol. Like I know my nutrition n all the basics but I thought by tasting it you cant get any sugary taste or sweet taste off the yoghurt, in fact its reaaly sour so surely theres no sugar in it? Also theres only about a tablespoon max of crumble! Does that make any difference?

NOTE/ I'm not fooling myself into believeing they're good for you but I don't actually believe they're bad for you!?! Could be wrong tho...
    Glowing wrote: »

Don't you have breakfast?

The crumble yoghurt is my breakfast....and worse again is I've been having it possibly every day for the past 2 months! :o

Thanks a mil to both of you for the replies...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

So

Breakfast is a crumble

11's

Another sugary crumble

Lunch
    Bread

Dinner

Potatoes or pasta

Its kind of obvious why you are posting this here, you know full well that the fitness forum regulars might tear this diet to shreds

You are not trying hard enough, read the fitness forum stickies...
    You can't hide form a crappy diet..everyone can see you are a unattractive chubby if you choose to have that lifestyle.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Longfield wrote: »
    So

Breakfast is a crumble

11's

Another sugary crumble

Lunch
    Bread

Dinner

Potatoes or pasta

Its kind of obvious why you are posting this here, you know full well that the fitness forum regulars might tear this diet to shreds

You are not trying hard enough, read the fitness forum stickies...
    You can't hide form a crappy diet..everyone can see you are a unattractive chubby if you choose to have that lifestyle.

Did u not read a thing I said?? I said it was a sour taste so was simply asking whether or not theres actually sugar in it? Also...

Quoting Myself here -> NOTE/ I'm not fooling myself into believeing they're good for you but I don't actually believe they're bad for you!?! Could be wrong tho...

Lyk really how ignorant can one be??? :O

• Advertisement

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Did u not read a thing I said?? I said it was a sour taste so was simply asking whether or not theres actually sugar in it? Also...

Quoting Myself here -> NOTE/ I'm not fooling myself into believeing they're good for you but I don't actually believe they're bad for you!?! Could be wrong tho...

Lyk really how ignorant can one be??? :O

OK here is the original post :-
    Originally posted by Cheeky_gal :-

Please Mods DO NOT move this!!! I'm not looking to set up a diary I just want advice on this cuz I'm not planning on posting up a regular diary...

So PLEASE don't move it!!!

Strawberry crumble yoghurt (from insomnia/cafe sol)

Snack
    Mango crumble yoghurt (as above, slight variation, they're sooo good! )

Lunch
    Crayfish sandwich on brown bread

Dinner
    Meat w/veg includes 2 potatos or a pasta dish!

Water throughout the day and coffee

Anyone?>

I read everything you said and tried to respond to it.I'm sorry that I cant read your mind and respond to that too.

I can't find the word sour anywhere?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

by tasting it you cant get any sugary taste or sweet taste off the yoghurt, in fact its reaaly sour so surely theres no sugar in it?

Longfield, maybe I'm missing something here, but the girls user name is cheeky_gal, not chubby girl. Mangling a user name like that is personal abuse as far as I'm concerned, so consider this a warning.

Not everyone is lucky enough to understand food and nutrition. That's why this forum is here. She (naively) thinks that these crumbles are a suitable food source, and I'm sure she's not alone in that belief. I won't tolerate ridicule for someones lack of knowledge. People will never post here if they think they'll be mocked.

Cheeky gal: Yes, there's sugar in it. Look at the ingredients list, it's probably one of the first ingredients. That'll give you an indication of how much is in it (ingredients are listed in order of most to least).

Your diet is rubbish. Not eating breakfast (or have a really sugary thing) is stupid. Your metabolism isn't set up properly for the day, and you'll be left with a craving for sugar all day. Have something sensible, like porridge, weetabix or even special K. Try having scrambled eggs on brown toast. Protein will fill you up FAR more than carbs will. I had scrambled eggs with some cheese on toast yesterday at 10, and I had to force myself to eat again at 6 (I'm not recommending you fast for long periods, just using me as a demonstration). The Special K ads aren't lying when they say people who eat breakfast tend to be thinner than those who don't.

If you have an early breakfast, have a snack at about 11 - a piece of real fruit, a handful of nuts, a small yoghurt etc. Don't have chocolate or anything sweet. If you're a student and eat breakfast at 10, you don't need a snack.

For lunch, your sandwich is ... not the worst thing you could have. Brown bread is good, as is fish. What do you have with it though? Mayo is bad, but if you can't resist, use light stuff. Do you have any salad in your sandwich? If not, you need to. Lettuce, spinach leaves, tomatoes, apple (no-one believes me, but it's amazing in sandwiches!), onions, avocado, peppers, sweetcorn... The list is endless! Be adventurous!

For dinner, you don't need a carb heavy meal unless you exercise a lot just before or after dinner. If you're having potatoes, have only one, with its skin on and steam it if possible. You MUST have protein with it. Meat (the leanest cuts you can get) or fish is the easiest. Pasta - try and avoid it in the evening. It's tasty and not a bad food, but too carb-heavy and will contribute to weight gain. You NEED more vegetables in your diet too - you're getting fúck all vitamins and minerals. You should be aiming for five portions of veg a day. Sound tough? Make a large batch of soup or stew. It's tasty, healthy, wholesome and a great way to get veg into you.

When snacking, avoid chocolate, sweets, crisps etc. Go for a (small) handful of nuts, low-fat yoghurt, fruit, things like that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I wish someone would actually know the ones I'm talking about.

Sounds like it's one of those yogurt, oats & fruit efforts, not a 'crumble' at all. You'll do yourself no harm at all starting your day with one. I wouldn't say it's substantial enough for breakfast but it's better than nothing all the same.

Edit/ I've only just seen that post now. Longfield, what Faith said, you're on thin ice after that. I don't want to see crap like that anywhere. I'd have banned you instantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Yeah I think I might have seen them - it's granola in it, rather than crumble. This might just be an issue of semantics :p

Still not probably ideal, but could be worse imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think I know the ones that you're talking about. They are pots of yogurt with some granola or muesli type stuff - not the Muller kind.

The yogurt may taste sharp but it's still possible that there is a fair amount of sugar in it. You won't know until you look at a list of ingredients.

The one concern I'd have about those things is that the portion amount can be quite large. Think about the size of a pot of Yoplait natural yogurt- it's quite small, only a few spoonfuls. If I'm recalling correctly, the pots you are buying are quite bigger.

Ehm I'm actually not referring to the granola yoghurt pots :o

If it's cafe sol the three of you have seen them in well beside the granola pots you'll see the crumble pots :)

When I've been having pasta I've made sure I only have wholewheat pasta but I'm gonna cut pasta out completely. Thanks Faith, looking at my diet now I can see how I'd definatley be lacking in vitamins and minerals. I guesss I didn't make a huge amount of effort at looking at the common knowledge that my diet is crap before posting it up so appologies.

Also theres no list of ingredients on the yoghurt pots. Nothing! It's just a plain plastic pot. Is that not illegal or would they be able to tell me if I asked them (which would be very akward).? I searched the net too and cant find them...

Also theres no list of ingredients on the yoghurt pots. Nothing! It's just a plain plastic pot. Is that not illegal or would they be able to tell me if I asked them (which would be very akward).? I searched the net too and cant find them...

I think under certain circumstances you can get away with it, like if it's made on the premises. I'm not sure though. They should tell you if you ask.

I always take it as a bad sign when things like that don't have ingredients on them. What are they trying to hide?

If you want any more advice about what to eat or anything, ask here. It's what we're here for!

Hi again

I just want to stress - hot porridge with skimmed milk and a handfull of raisins in it is a great start to the day. You'll be full of energy and full up until lunch time. The yoghurts are definitely a bad idea, especially when you have 2 a day. Try reducing that to once or twice a week as a 'treat' rather as a meal replacement.

Longfield's post is not a good representation of the advice the kind people offer here - keep it up. By the way, are you supplimenting your diet with excercise?

Longfield's post is not a good representation of the advice the kind people offer here - keep it up. By the way, are you supplimenting your diet with excercise?
    Hmm, why, because all dietary advice must be sugar coated?

By the way, are you supplimenting your diet with excercise?

If you look over some of my threads I was actually doing brilliant with exercise. If anything I was doing far too much spending about 2 hrs in the gym EVERY DAY. I don't know what happened but I suddenly stopped and haven't been to a gym in almost 3 months! I feel awful and all depressed over it so any advice you have to help stay motivated etc I'd be so soo appreciative. Thanks a mil :)

No! But referring to the OP as an 'unattractive chubby' is not exactly encouraging, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Why not just reign it in? You were unnecessarily nasty to a poster seeking advice. I don't see any sugar-coated nonsense here - the OP has been told her diet is poor and she has responded positively to that. Result.

Edit: Cheeky_gal, don't beat yourself up about having a relapse. Life gets in the way and it's too short for guilt. Pop yourself on back to the gym; try 30-40 mins 3-4 times a week. I spend my time doing half cardio, half weights, and I push myself absolutely as hard as I can.

If you don't feel ready for the gym just yet, get out brisk-walking until your confidence is back up a little. Keep going - you can do it!

Alright folks, Longfield is well aware that he was out of line, now let it go please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

cheeky_gal what exactly are your goals at the moment?

Are you looking to maintain your current weight or too lose weight? The reason I ask is that i find personally when my diet/excercise motivation slips it is usually as its all gone pretty aimless.

You have already been told that your diet is not great other than the health impact of the yogurt things from cafe sol would the expense of them not deter you? If you are trying to lose weight its likely they are not the best idea if you are trying to just maintain your current weight you can probably work them into a more healthy balanced diet. If you are eating purely for health well in moderation they should be okay.

Mostly i think you need to work out what your goals are and how much you are prepared to do to achieve them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement