Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US: 5X08 - "Clarifications" [***** SPOILERS WITHIN *****]

Options
  • 20-02-2008 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

- WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT YET SEEN "Clarifications" -

Well since the episode is floating around i though i would start the poll

Synopsis:
    "A lie ain't a side of a story. It's just a lie." - Terry Hanning Baltimore's renewed police commitment brings fresh recruits to Daniels and McNulty, starting with Carver; Facing a new political challenge, Carcetti is forced to make dangerous political deals; As the Pulitzer season winds down, Haynes approaches Templeton about his sources; Bunk returns a McNulty favor; little Kenard makes a big score; Dukie finds work; Fletcher continues his interview with Bubbles; Freamon presents his latest plan to a prosecutor; Sydnor uncovers the missing piece to a puzzle; McNulty finally comes clean.

*WARNING MAJOR SPOILER*

All i can say is OMFG!
    Omar is dead...Nooooo!

How do you rate this episode? 18 votes

OMFG wire (5)
    0%
    Razor wire (4)
    88%
    sixpack's little hatPlaceboixoymadrabdelanec8SherifuAuverstvnutzsinkdjkeoghAnCapaillMorJay RuDeepBlueDouble Cronnie3585mathproblem 16 votes
    Barbed wire (3)
    11%
    majiktrippmetafora 2 votes
    Copper wire (2)
    0%
    Chicken wire (1)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Razor wire (4)
    Loved the FBI profile on McNulty's killer which was "in the ballpark" :D. Good to see Beadie back in the show and having the showdown with McNulty. With two episodes left I'm guessing that the MCU gets Marlo but Jimmy loses his family in the process - another of the Wire's trademark hollow victories.

Omar's exit was actually perfect. It adds another layer to the show with his dismissal of Michael as "just a kid" at the end of the last season coming back to haunt him. It also contrasts with Omar and Reynaldo giving treats to the kids down in Puerto Rico from earlier in the season. The Baltimore kids sure aren't the same as the Puerto Rican ones.

Looking at the scene a second time he heard Kenard come in and looked at him and dismissed him as no threat. Even if he saw him pull the gun you get the feeling he might have found it hard to shoot a kid.

"You come at the king, you best not miss" - Kenard didn't and did something that Weebay, Stinkum, Brother Mouzone, Avon, Stringer, Chris, Marlo etc etc couldn't do.
    Give him a couple of years and he's the next Marlo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Razor wire (4)
    Uumm spoiler it dude.
    Totally in shock over omar and what a crappy way to go. Loved the FBI profile as well.

How many episodes are left now?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Razor wire (4)
    Well all I can say is i'm disappointed but not surprised. Omar limping around was never going to take down Marlo. The fact that he was taken out by Kenard was a surprise, that was one big ass gun he had. :)
    McNulty has now involved Kima and Carver, i'm not sure how longer it will remain a secret especially with Kima's reaction when she saw Freeman and the setup. They cracked the code which should be a big help.
    Templeton is in trouble but I could see him worming his way out of it somehow. Haynes has had enough of his unnamed quotes. Whatever he wrote about the soldier must have been good.
    The other big surprise in this episode for me was Lester. He took his evidence to the Feds and they were understandably pissed "You've turned him into Martin Luther King Jr and now you want to put him in front of a white jury" :D I didn't expect Freeman to go down the blackmail route. He wants to nail both Clay and Marlo.
    The Carcetti story is also almost done too, all the deals he's making is a big price for becomming governer.
    Uumm spoiler it dude.
    There's a reason why we put *****spoilers within***** in the title

Razor wire (4)
    Uumm spoiler it dude.
    So you read:
    US: 5X08 - "Clarifications" [***** SPOILERS WITHIN *****]

and you read:
    madrab wrote: »
    *WARNING MAJOR SPOILER*

and you continued to read the thread. If you get spoiled after that then who's problem is that? (Hint:not mine).

Razor wire (4)
    And yet madrad put in the spoiler filter below the big red warning spoiler.

Yes i read but i still think spoilers are necessary it is quiet possible to blunder onto a thread and find out X is dead.

• Advertisement

Razor wire (4)
    Shit, I liked X.
    To be fair if you're still reading after the big red spoiler sign then you deserve it.
    We don't use spoilers in clearly marked threads and I for one won't unless the rules change.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Razor wire (4)
    Ouch. Marlo's gone. It's somewhat fitting how he got taken down though - he always ignored the kids. Indeed they've always scattered before him with cries of "Marlo!" He never faced danger from them, never saw them as dangerous - S4 should have thought us, the viewer, to be more wary

This episode brought to ground the sense of unreality I almost felt was creeping in. Marlo seemed invincible, a ghost terrifying the big men. Yet he was taken down through naivety and by a kid. What's worse is that though we mourn him, he didn't get even four paragraphs in the paper and only got small grunts of surprise from a few cops. Everyone else appeared happy to have him taken down - check out the big grin on Marlo's face. Check out the WTF reaction on Chris too. It was well done - sudden and callous, just as the Baltimore streets are. Far more affecting than any shoot out could have been.

Chris now looks set to be taken down. I genuinely like how it was his one slipup a year ago that's going to do it. It's rewarding for the viewer. I wonder how solid his loyalty is to Marlo? I can't see him giving up Snoop.

Will Marlo get taken out? They've worked out his clock system but is it going to be enough? And surely, even if they do, they won't be able to touch the people that matter - the Greek, etc. I can't see how they're going to score a real victory. Someone will just step into Marlo's place.
    Yes i read but i still think spoilers are necessary it is quiet possible to blunder onto a thread and find out X is dead.
    I don't. The spoiler warning in the title is in keeping with practices on every other forum. There's no need for this one to be different.

Razor wire (4)
    Nah just got f'ed out of it in 1 or 2 other forums for doing it.

Back to 08 WTF Poot works in a footlocker now. i was full sure Marlo was going to go to court get off and then be gunned down by Omar like wesley snipes from new jack city. Well there goes that idea. Clay is still the man, after it looked like he was royally screwed, he more popular than ever. Delighted that they're finally copping onto the reporters anonymous bystanders line, but you know the editors going to get screwed over.

Razor wire (4)
    ixoy wrote: »
    Ouch. Marlo's gone.
    Spoiler that talk of future eps! :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Uumm spoiler it dude.
    Totally in shock over omar and what a crappy way to go. Loved the FBI profile as well.

How many episodes are left now?
    And yet madrad put in the spoiler filter below the big red warning spoiler.

No need to spoiler it. Read the sticky. If you read somethig you wish you didnt its your own fault.
    Sherifu wrote: »

Ah crap why did I decide to check on this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jay Ru

Razor wire (4)
    i had know for some time that Omar was going to get killed by Kenard but i didn't know when (some ass whole had it as an avatar on another forum that i visit) still it was a shock though.

man i'm so happy they finally got something on Chris, thb though i can't see him going to jail anytime soon, and did u see the look on his face when Marlo told him bout Omar, he looked a bit disappointed if u ask me.

nice to see that Lester and Co have finally cracked Marlo's code, can't wait til Lester lays eyes on Vondas! I think Cheese is the week link in Marlos crew, he's always had a big mouth and he's the only one who really knows what happened to Joe, ie he can place Marlo at the scene!

loved the scene between Clay Davis and Lester at the end, can't wait to see the out come of that little play!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Razor wire (4)
    ixoy i presume you mean Omar not marlo! Lokos funny in the post though :D

Well,what about that episode? I watch a lot of tv but few moments leave me speechless and make me forget what happened for at least 5 full minutes after the incident. Killing off the best character-I guess we saw it coming eventually but hoped it wouldn't happen,that he would survive the show.

But in classic Wire fashion,he gets popped by a kid,the legend he was,and that is how it ends. People on other forums seem to be P!ssed that how he died,and that he should have gone down in a hail of bullets while taking out Marlo. Of course they obviously watch too much CSI and forget what this show is actually like.

His death,as p!ssed off about it as I am,is typical Wire. It is realistic. Yes as a character he had a lore that made him way out there but nonetheless his death was realistic because it is not what he deserved,all Omar was,he deserved the hail of bullets heroes death,he deserved that,but that's not how reality works. He got popped by a little punk,didn't even make the news and is done.He had tried to get to Marlo,but marlo isn't exactly touchable,he never paid much attention to little hoppers,this is evident throughout the show. And that is why he took no notice of Kennard.

It reminds me of a real legend's death. Wild Bill Hickok. Legend gunfighter and lawman of the Old West,gets shot in the back of the head by a drunk. Farewell to one of the best characters in television history.

That shocker made me forget most of the episode,but Poot working in a footlocker was funny,the FBI profile of the serial killer was hilarious as it was exactly McNulty. Templeton seems to be screwed. You know there won't be a happy ending for McNulty. I'd really love to see bunny and Prez make cameos in the last 2 episodes. I'd like to see Freamon go to Prez to figure out the full extent of the code but that probably isn't likely. A happy ending for Dukie? Michael? bubbles? It will be interesting to see just how everything character is dealt with. It seems Chris is screwed,and good too! Hope Marlo falls. Guess we will see.

I don't know about anyone else,but that is the most shocking scene I have ever seen in a tv show or even movie!

Razor wire (4)
    kearnsr wrote: »
    Ah crap why did I decide to check on this thread
    I was just teasing ixoy about his typo
    Jay Ru wrote: »
    I think Cheese is the week link in Marlos crew, he's always had a big mouth and he's the only one who really knows what happened to Joe, ie he can place Marlo at the scene!
    As soon as they realised Cheese was Marlo's man on the East side I was thinking "Weak link! This is how Marlo will get caught"
    tvnutz wrote: »
    ixoy i presume you mean Omar not marlo! Lokos funny in the post thought :D
    find/replace needed :D

Razor wire (4)
    :D My bad! My brain was just fried from the events! It still is - I still can't quite get over it! Poor Bunk killed by a kid!

Razor wire (4)
    I think this episode broke ixoy :(

Razor wire (4)
    I think this episode broke ixoy :(
    Not as much as it broke McNulty's back when String Bell pushed him off the roof!!

Seriously though - how does everyone think it's going to play out now? I had thought that Omar (not Marlo :)) would take out the bad guys in the last episode. Do you think that the investigation is going to work? Will they have enough information? Will the Greek and the higher echelons get away again? Will Clay Davis get another "shhhhiiiitttt" in before going to jail or will he escape? Will Chris Partlow get nabbed? Will McNulty go to jail? How will Lester cope?

My own reckoning: They'll get Marlo for possession and intent to distribute in their sting but it won't be for his real operations. They'll cut him a deal to sell out others, which he'll take (he's a practical loyalty-free kinda guy) and they'll do a good swoop of the co-op. The case will take years to prosecute.

The Greek will get away scot free but won't operate in Baltimore for years.

Clay Davis will be fine. He almost deserves to be - he's that charismatic.

Chris will get arrested. He won't co-operate with the police. Snoop will still be free. Snoop will then be sent to take out Chris for fear that Chris is going to rat out Marlo. She will kill him and escape.

McNulty will be uncovered thanks to Kima. He will be stripped of all rank and kicked off the force, but won't go to jail. He'll end his days alone in a bar, not capable of much more than a store security job.
    For his part Lester will be demoted back to where we saw him in Season 1.

Anyone agree/disagree?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Barbed wire (3)
    Rant.
    Can't believe they killed Omar...man...now the end of the series just aint gonna feel right! I know its true to life and **** happens etc but come on! Who didn't want to see a scene with Marlo and Omar finally face to face, knowing what the outcome would be! Boo!
    /Rant.
    Ps. FBI profile scene was priceless though!

Razor wire (4)
    kinda ironic that he was killed in ep 8 of the laast series consdiering that he was ment to be killed off after 8 ep's of the first series!!!!!!!!!!!

i hope to see Micheal K Williams in something else very soon, the guy is a great actor!

Razor wire (4)
    ixoy wrote: »
    McNulty will be uncovered thanks to Kima. He will be stripped of all rank and kicked off the force, but won't go to jail. He'll end his days alone in a bar, not capable of much more than a store security job.

What makes you think Kima would rat out Jimmy? Of course she doesn't approve and is somewhat disgusted at what they are doing but it would be a major step for her to snitch on another cop - let alone one with whom she's worked closely with for years. That won't happen.

Since it's the Wire we're not going to get a happy ending. However they tend to balance out the depressing bits with some wins. Marlo has to fall and since Omar got taken out then Marlo has to be taken out too unless the writers want to leave us totally depressed.

The thing is that I can't see who is left that could kill him. The only scenario I can think of is that the police somehow come to arrest him and he won't give up and there's a shootout. In season three Avon gave up peacefully even though he had an arsenal of weapons - Marlo, Chris and Snoop would be unlikely to do so if they knew they were going to jail.

However a blazing gun battle is not very Wire-like but, however it happens, Marlo better be in a body-bag by the end of the season.

Razor wire (4)
    Its funny the 2 guys who got killed will be getting their own young omar\prop joe mini series.

• Advertisement

Razor wire (4)
    DeepBlue wrote: »
    The thing is that I can't see who is left that could kill him. The only scenario I can think of is that the police somehow come to arrest him and he won't give up and there's a shootout. In season three Avon gave up peacefully even though he had an arsenal of weapons - Marlo, Chris and Snoop would be unlikely to do so if they knew they were going to jail.

However a blazing gun battle is not very Wire-like but, however it happens, Marlo better be in a body-bag by the end of the season.

the only person i can see killing marlo now (& i know its a long shot) but Micheal. the only thing is though is that if somebody does kill Marlo that means that the unit has no case on him and if theres no case on him then theres no chance of catching the greek or whatever he's called. personally i'd rather see Marlo go to jail than get killed, just imagine all the enemies that wud only love to get their hands on him.

was that Cenard that was ****ing with the cat in the alley as Omar walked by?

one other thing, i thought what Pookie said to Dookie was worth mentioning, he said something along the lines of "go out and bang on the corners for a few years then come back for a job" or something to that effect. is there no hope for anyone in this program, the poor kid is clearly not built for the drug game and basically has no other options. from what i can gather he's left school and the only option available to him is working with a junk man or go back in the game. Dookie is one character i'd like to see catch a break, but in Baltimore that just don't seem likely.

only 2 to go :(

Razor wire (4)
    Its funny the 2 guys who got killed will be getting their own young omar\prop joe mini series.

are u referring to the mini ep's that aired before the series or is there something new coming out?

Razor wire (4)
    Mini eps? Hhhmm maybe i might be getting things mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Razor wire (4)
    moderator wrote:
    Again give it a few days for S05E07 before we start a thread on S05E08

on 20-02-2008

cant believe i wasnt given the chance to express my sorrow :(
    bitches started thread without me , shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

i always admired omar, now theres a space left in the show.
    It was funny how it was the same kid from 06/07 when he was suprised that was omar by calling him a gimpy mutha****a

Razor wire (4)
    Placebo wrote: »
    It was funny how it was the same kid from 06/07 when he was suprised that was omar by calling him a gimpy mutha****a

It goes even further than that. Back in Season 3 in the third episode "Dead Soldiers" Omar, Dante, Tosha and Kimmy try to rob a Barksdale stash house but are ambushed by the extra muscle Stinger had added and Tosha is killed in the subsequent shoot out.

The Bunk arrives at the scene afterwards and is disgusted to see the local kids re-enacting the shoot-out with one kid shouting that it's his turn to be Omar.
    That kid was Kenard - so Omar was effectively shot by one of the kids that he himself inspired.

You have to love the extra layers this show adds - what other show would do something like that?

Razor wire (4)
    wow i totally forgot that, only because i watched season 3 months ago :)

show is very well written indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Was so ****ing pissed off.

I aquired the ep and followed a link to get a password and beside the password was a big **** off picture of Omar in a body bag. Totally ruined the episode.

Razor wire (4)
    Was so ****ing pissed off.

I aquired the ep and followed a link to get a password and beside the password was a big **** off picture of Omar in a body bag. Totally ruined the episode.
    Ouch! :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

tvnutz wrote: »
    ixoy i presume you mean Omar not marlo! Lokos funny in the post though :D

I read this thread and thought I had wrecked it for meself when people were saying that Marlo go done. Came as a bit of a shock when Omar got done. Is their anything the Wire cant do?

• Advertisement

Razor wire (4)
    omar got got

Advertisement