Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bmw 320d Turbo Failure

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jamess83

love my car well i did till last night anyway now not so sure always wanted one longed for one for 2 years then when i finally get my dream it litterlly goes up in smoke.ye bmw hav alot to answer for here i thougth i was getting good quality.my sister in law has a 330d ever since she got that i wanted one but she hasnt had any of our problems and hers is 01 and has 130,000 on the clock thats wat they get for puttin a rover engine into there cars yes you heard a rover engine:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jamess83

get it done because there is litterally no way of knowing when it will go no matter how well you look after it you just cant tell my car has full service history and just done motorway miles i have every reciept for the car down to the bulbs that were put in and the longest it went without a service was 8000 miles plus its not so expensive to do while the car is still running.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

It amazes me that BMW's reputation survives these kind of failings intact. The were serious quality issues with early E30 and E36 cars, the BMW cooling system has always been one of its weak points (plastic water pump impeller FFS) the whole nikasil debacle, I am sure there are more, and now failing turbos. I am a fan of BMW's, well the older stuff anyway, but am I the only one who believes that their reputation for engineering excellence is a more marketing than reality?

In fairness BMW don't make the turbos.

Now what I do find ridiclous is BMW's high milage service intervals - every 12k miles oil change? Are you having a laugh?! To be safe I tend to change my oil every 6k with BMW LL spec oil, along with the oil filter and then every 2nd service I changed the crankcase breather filter (now replaced with the vortex style so should never need changing again)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

JohnCleary wrote: »
    In fairness BMW don't make the turbos.

Sure, they don't make a lot of what goes into a car, but it is their responsibility to test everything to make sure it has the longevity we expect from a premium brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

jamess83 wrote: »
    love my car well i did till last night anyway now not so sure always wanted one longed for one for 2 years then when i finally get my dream it litterlly goes up in smoke.ye bmw hav alot to answer for here i thougth i was getting good quality.my sister in law has a 330d ever since she got that i wanted one but she hasnt had any of our problems and hers is 01 and has 130,000 on the clock thats wat they get for puttin a rover engine into there cars yes you heard a rover engine:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

It's not a Rover angine at all. This engine (well a detuned version) was put in the Rover 75 as at the time BMW owned Rover and was responsible for the development of that car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 cam3l

jamess83 wrote: »
    get it done because there is litterally no way of knowing when it will go no matter how well you look after it you just cant tell my car has full service history and just done motorway miles i have every reciept for the car down to the bulbs that were put in and the longest it went without a service was 8000 miles plus its not so expensive to do while the car is still running.

Oldish thread so apologies.
    Jamess83, did you go ahead and get the turbo replaced before it went pop?
    How much did it cost?
    I'm looking at buying a 320D and thinking that I should possible do the same thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'm going to lock this thread, Jamess83 hasn't posted in 15+ months, the turbo did actually go on his car (see post 22), and I don't see the point in repairing something that hasn't broken yet.

Get the car thoroughly looked over and serviced, don't worry about things that haven't happened yet.

P.S. Please read the Charter and don't bump old threads, thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement