Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Organic vs Free Range vs Farm Fresh

Options
  • 19-02-2008 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭

In the UK, where I had lived for a while, they didn't have a 'farm fresh' label. What exactly does 'farm fresh' mean and does it replace one of the other 2 options?

Comments

Farm fresh means battery.

Organic taste the best by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Farm fresh means battery.

Organic taste the best by far.

Hmmm...dunno about this. After hearing for years that organic chickens tasted better I splashed out twenty quid on one a few weeks ago. Couldn't taste any difference TBH.

Hmmm...dunno about this. After hearing for years that organic chickens tasted better I splashed out twenty quid on one a few weeks ago. Couldn't taste any difference TBH.

I don't eat it so I don't know but the general consensus is that you can't tell the difference with chicken. Chicken is described as meat tofu, perhaps it is tasteless to start off with.

There is a huge taste difference between battery and organic eggs, and the organic are only about a third more expensive. Although I get mine free from a neighbour with hens. Try it and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Just to confirm, farm fresh = battery?

I asked the butcher for a free range bird and he gave me a farm fresh one.

Hence my question.

Rather stupid name for intensively farmed don;t you think.

ch750536 wrote: »
    Rather stupid name for intensively farmed don;t you think.

Not stupid. Its a marketing ploy. Like Irish smoked salmon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement