Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB apprenticeship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 redeye101

Is there an unofficial cut off to be an apprentice electrician? I'm not happy where I am and this kind of job really appeals to me. I'm in my early 30's so not sure if I'm what they would be looking for.

No, there is no maximum age limit by ESB or SOLAS for apprenticeships. It could be looked upon favourable if you transferable skills for the trade.

My advice would be go for it 100%. There’s plenty of lads that went through it that weren’t straight out of school - the worst they can say is no!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wherearewe45

redeye101 wrote: »
    No, there is no maximum age limit by ESB or SOLAS for apprenticeships. It could be looked upon favourable if you transferable skills for the trade.

My advice would be go for it 100%. There’s plenty of lads that went through it that weren’t straight out of school - the worst they can say is no!

Exactly, it's a big change for me that's the kinda push I need.

Is there anywhere to see the timetable for ESB apprenticeships. Just so I know how much time is spent work verses studying/holidays/etc.

Is there anywhere to see the timetable for ESB apprenticeships. Just so I know how much time is spent work verses studying/holidays/etc.

You will follow the SOLAS timetable for electrical apprenticeships - 4 years consisting of 7 Phases.

Phase 1, 3, 5 & 7 are on the job training with 1 & 7 a minimum of 3 months, and 3 & 5 a minimum of 6 months training. These on the job training modules are in between your off the job (college) phases.

Within ESB you are rotated across various sections for 12 week stints to gain experience in all areas.

Phase 2, 4 & 6 are 22, 11 and 11 weeks respectively.

In addition to this you carry out ESB specific training in their own training school (overhead lines, underground cables, substations, metering etc.) this is conducted during your on the job training time and is located in Portlaoise.

You will get a standard annual leave allowance of around 20 days p.a. which cannot be taken during college phases or planned training.

redeye101 wrote: »
    You will follow the SOLAS timetable for electrical apprenticeships - 4 years consisting of 7 Phases.

Phase 1, 3, 5 & 7 are on the job training with 1 & 7 a minimum of 3 months, and 3 & 5 a minimum of 6 months training. These on the job training modules are in between your off the job (college) phases.

Within ESB you are rotated across various sections for 12 week stints to gain experience in all areas.

Phase 2, 4 & 6 are 22, 11 and 11 weeks respectively.

In addition to this you carry out ESB specific training in their own training school (overhead lines, underground cables, substations, metering etc.) this is conducted during your on the job training time and is located in Portlaoise.

You will get a standard annual leave allowance of around 20 days p.a. which cannot be taken during college phases or planned training.

I was supposed to take 2 months holidays this year, we deferred until next year because of covid and now there's a chance if I get this apprenticeship I won't be able to go at all 🀦*♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 daraghd9

Filling out the application at the moment. Does anyone know if you have to put the base closest to home address as first choice? I'm in Sligo and don't want to get stuck working here forever. More opportunities if I put down Galway or Dublin.

Do they pay rent allowance as well?

daraghd9 wrote: »
    Filling out the application at the moment. Does anyone know if you have to put the base closest to home address as first choice? I'm in Sligo and don't want to get stuck working here forever. More opportunities if I put down Galway or Dublin.

Do they pay rent allowance as well?

You can put any base as your preference but you are not guaranteed to get it.

No, there is no rent allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭monseiur

Hi Folks,
    Are the ESB recruiting trainee electricians at the moment ?
    Is the application done thru SOLAS or directly thru ESB
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

monseiur wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    Are the ESB recruiting trainee electricians at the moment ?
    Is the application done thru SOLAS or directly thru ESB
    Thanks.

Application is done through the ESB,
    https://www.candidatemanager.net/cm/p/pJobs.aspx?mid=YGTWB&sid=BUCXF&a=tXihOt3zRCE%3d
    You have 4 days left for your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭monseiur

tweek84 wrote: »
    Application is done through the ESB,
    https://www.candidatemanager.net/cm/p/pJobs.aspx?mid=YGTWB&sid=BUCXF&a=tXihOt3zRCE%3d
    You have 4 days left for your application.
    Thanks, greatly appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

Hi everyone, my brother is applying for the apprenticeship and was just wondering if anyone has any experience of the process.

He is 19 and doing the leaving cert this year, has no real work experience aside from a brief stint of work experience with an electrician in transition year. Would he have any chance of getting in? Anyone know what rate of applicants are successful? Anything they are particularly looking for in the 500 word bit?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

How long does it usually take to hear back from this and are you guaranteed a reply or do we just assume that if we hear nothing then we weren't successful?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kaydog

They email you to say you've bern unsuccessful. Last year it was mid-late April. Very difficult to even get to the interview stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 daraghd9

Anyone who applied heard anything back yet? Or know when we might hear back? I’m thinking I probably didn’t get in.

daraghd9 wrote: »
    Anyone who applied heard anything back yet? Or know when we might hear back? I’m thinking I probably didn’t get in.

Mid April according to the comment above yours. Give it a few weeks

Got an email from ESB today telling me they received my application and they will be in touch if I'm successful.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Got an email from ESB today telling me they received my application and they will be in touch if I'm successful.

Best of luck.:)

Got the same email, all starting to feel very real now!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dildert123

I got a email from esb today saying they're starting the shortlisting.
    Does this mean i passed that aptitude test?

Dildert123 wrote: »
    I got a email from esb today saying they're starting the shortlisting.
    Does this mean i passed that aptitude test?

I was wondering the same thing, I don't have an answer though

• Advertisement

I was wondering the same thing, I don't have an answer though

I know a lad who got an email saying he got rejected.
    So we must be in the next phase seeing as they said they're beginning the shortlisting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Thecatonthemat

Anyone here anything this week? Lads in class who applied said they have heard of others getting called for interview but I can see how they would be calling people yet

Anyone here anything this week? Lads in class who applied said they have heard of others getting called for interview but I can see how they would be calling people yet

Would they not email about an interview?

The email i got said they'll update by email on the process if the application.

Nothing on my end. Bit early I'd say. I'm sure I seen a post about the last campaign that rejection emails were still being sent out a few months after the aptitude tests. But who knows maybe after the last campaign dragging out for so long due to covid they may speed things up a little this time. No evidence for that ofc just a notion.

Anybody hear of anything yet?

Nope. Unrelated but I also did the aptitude for the Bus Eireann HGV mechanic apprenticeship the same week, similar tests, got a text last Saturday saying I had passed & would get an interview (time/date TBC). Was more inclined for the ESB though and feel I did worse in that one. ��

kaydog wrote: »
    Nope. Unrelated but I also did the aptitude for the Bus Eireann HGV mechanic apprenticeship the same week, similar tests, got a text last Saturday saying I had passed & would get an interview (time/date TBC). Was more inclined for the ESB though and feel I did worse in that one. ��

Oh nice one will you be doing the interview?
    Id say they wouldn't have the same amount of interest as the esb though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eGannon123

Has anyone heard anything back yet since the start of shortlisting email?

Got an email there saying they are continuing the shortlisting process and will have an update on my application status in June

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Thecatonthemat

Got email today saying thanks but no thanks. Best of luck to everyone else hope it’s good news

Advertisement