Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"BMW" Mini

Options
  • 14-02-2008 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

Why do some Mini drivers put such an emphasis on the BMW part?

I was doing a search on Carzone for a BMW M and the resultes showed four people who have BMW M ini's for sale?

If someone is looking for a mini I doubt they are going to look here. :confused:

Why do they do it? Is it a snobish thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Probably the same as your average Skoda driver who thinks he's driving an Audi. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

VeVeX wrote: »
    Probably the same as your average Skoda driver who thinks he's driving an Audi. :p

When the reality is that Audi drivers are driving Skoda's .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

I'm just waiting for people to pull you up on calling Mini owners snobbish when you were looking for a BMW.

It's the Boards way, don't you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I presume they do because the only thing the BMW MINI and the real Mini have in common is the name. A lot of people when they think of Minis think of the one designed by Sir Alec Issagonis all the way back in 1959. And also because the BMW MINI was designed by BMW to a certain extent.

(as an aside in enthusiast circles the BMW one is spelt with all capital letters i.e. MINI, and the original is Mini so as to distinguish between the two types).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭fabsoul

Stekelly wrote: »
    When the reality is that Audi drivers are driving Skoda's .:)

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I think that people call their mini's "bmw mini" because they want to be seen as "well to do" as people who drive "real" bmw's.Lets be honest these people are jealous of those who can afford a 3 series or 5 series,.Its a way of making you respect a mini more because its made my bmw.I personally dont regard the mini as a bmw.And another thing, i bet the people who call their mini's a "bmw" are the people who own mini "one"'s that cost around 20k, not the people who own "cooper s"'s that cost circa 40k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm living in Munich and the Mini is as common as muck. I personally liked them until I came here.

They're as common as a Micra in Tallaght :rolleyes:

The people in Ireland who think they're driving a BMW need to get some serious cop-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Skoda's are Audi's for mean people:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Zonda999 wrote: »
    these people are jealous of those who can afford a 3 series or 5 series,
    BMWs are lasting longer than they used to, meaning pretty much any scumbag can afford one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Ciara2008

PMSL at anyone thinking BMW is snobbish - there are more 3 series on the road these days than Ford Mondeo's.

However, BMW do have a good reputation when it comes to manufacturing cars. I have a new MINI and as a previous poster said, I would distinguish the type of MINI i have by capitalising the letters - however, a lot of people aren't aware of that so BMW is an obvious way to separate the two. Why do you think people advertise "Austin Mini's" - I'm sure 7 years ago they could just have been advertised as mini's.

Anyway, my point is; you are referring to ads on carzone - perhaps people selling these MINI's want to associate the cars with BMW as a repuatable brand and car manufacturer to potential buyers. I sincerly doubt that when asked what they drive they say "BMW Mini"

This thread is ridiculous

• Advertisement

JHMEG wrote: »
    BMWs are lasting longer than they used to, meaning pretty much any scumbag can afford one.

I've always considered the 5 series to be a scumbags car TBH, especially the pre-1996 model

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I've always considered the 5 series to be a scumbags car TBH, especially the pre-1996 model

I know these things are personal opinions, but how did you reach that conclusion:confused:? (when all the boy racers who I presume you are referring to as "scumbags" that have BMWs have a 3 series, usually an E36, or else an E30)

A modified 5 series is a rare event really.

As for scumbags being able to afford them, has anyone seen the prices that E30s go for, even though the newest ones would be 17 years old(15 for the pedantic around here, cause they didn't kill off the Baur top(cabrio) till 93, but got rid of the E30 saloon in 91)? They may be cheap to buy but if anything goes wrong you'll pay dearly if you use proper BMW parts, plus insurance is expensive for E30s and E36s these days so I'm told.

I'm not sure how i came to that conclusion.I guess that the pre - 1996 model(and current model) are aggresive looking cars.I thought that that appeals to scum.BTW i know whatya mean about the boy racers.Mainly 316's i notice.Affordibility issues......

randomer wrote: »
    Why do some Mini drivers put such an emphasis on the BMW part?

I was doing a search on Carzone for a BMW M and the resultes showed four people who have BMW M ini's for sale?

If someone is looking for a mini I doubt they are going to look here. :confused:

Why do they do it? Is it a snobish thing?

Perhaps because the new ones are made by BMW?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

The anti-BMW undercurrents have become every bit as boring as they are ridiculous. They are cars, not a way of live.

BMW’s are not in any way a perfect entity, they are cars, nothing more or less. The same is true of Honda and all other makes. None of them are any more than cars nor are any of them a valid basis for a physiological outlook of any kind.

Here’s a mad thought for you. People who drive cars are individuals, no matter what brand of car that is. Some are assholes, some not. Go figure.

ronoc wrote: »
    Perhaps because the new ones are made by BMW?

Thats the most logical answer possible to this. Well done :)

I'm not sure how i came to that conclusion.I guess that the pre - 1996 model(and current model) are aggresive looking cars.I thought that that appeals to scum.BTW i know whatya mean about the boy racers.Mainly 316's i notice.Affordibility issues......

Any more gems of wisdom for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Yup, pretty soon all the scoobes will be selling their 'tegs' to buy newer '94 320's...

The anti-BMW undercurrents have become every bit as boring as they are ridiculous.
    Jeez, I can't say anything about BMW now in case it's construed as a slur? FFS. Scumbags are individuals too you know, and yes, scumbags drive Hondas aswell.

Jeez, I can't say anything about BMW now in case it's construed as a slur? FFS. Scumbags are individuals too you know, and yes, scumbags drive Hondas aswell.

yeah, but still boring.

Any logical opinions?

• Advertisement

You know this thread kind of is it for me. There seems to be very little actual intelligent car chat on this forum anymore.

Mods feel free to ban me from motors, I’ve had enough of this tripe.

Slante

yeah, but still boring.

Any logical opinions?
    If I bore you feel free to use your ignore list.

I can't believe some people get upset at the notion of scumbags owning BMWs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

milltown wrote: »
    I'm just waiting for people to pull you up on calling Mini owners snobbish when you were looking for a BMW.

It's the Boards way, don't you know.

I didn't actually call anyone a snob. I just threw that out there to see if that was a possible reason?

If I was looking to buy a MINI, I would search under MINI (make) and then choose the specific model (cooper, one etc.)

It seems to me to be a bit of a waste of an advertisment because very few people looking for a MINI would search for BMW (Make) and M (Model).

I can't believe some people get upset at the notion of scumbags owning BMWs. That takes the BMW-arse-licking to new lows.

Dear me, who is it that is upset?
    Did you not read what i posted? (quoted below for you, jut to make it simple)

Just for the hell of it, and to relieve the boredom, can you point out to me where i exhibited any tendency towards "BMW arse-licking"?

The anti-BMW undercurrents have become every bit as boring as they are ridiculous. They are cars, not a way of live.

BMW’s are not in any way a perfect entity, they are cars, nothing more or less. The same is true of Honda and all other makes. None of them are any more than cars nor are any of them a valid basis for a physiological outlook of any kind.

Here’s a mad thought for you. People who drive cars are individuals, no matter what brand of car that is. Some are assholes, some not. Go figure.

OPPS, sorry, I quoted you before you had the chance to edit it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I think that people call their mini's "bmw mini" because they want to be seen as "well to do" as people who drive "real" bmw's.Lets be honest these people are jealous of those who can afford a 3 series or 5 series,.Its a way of making you respect a mini more because its made my bmw.I personally dont regard the mini as a bmw.And another thing, i bet the people who call their mini's a "bmw" are the people who own mini "one"'s that cost around 20k, not the people who own "cooper s"'s that cost circa 40k

People are stupid when it comes to badges and Reg's. Still, I'd have more respect for a 20k MINI than a 38k 316i. I don't consider the 1-series to be a car worth mentioning at all.

Dear me, who is it that is upset?
    Did you not read what i posted? (quoted below for you, jut to make it simple)

Just for the hell of it, and to relieve the boredom, can you point out to me where i exhibited any tendency towards "BMW arse-licking"?

OPPS, sorry, I quoted you before you had the chance to edit it :)
    You're not actually making any sense now...

Dunno what your point is about editing? I edited my post, so what?

You're not actually making any sense now...

Dunno what your point is about editing? I edited my post, so what?

Its quite simple, you posted in answer to me that i was arse licking BMW's

I asked you to point out where I had done that.

Do try and keep up like a good lad :)

Biro wrote: »
    People are stupid when it comes to badges and Reg's. Still, I'd have more respect for a 20k MINI than a 38k 316i. I don't consider the 1-series to be a car worth mentioning at all.

Indeed how come we dont hear much about the 1 series on boards for all the attention bmw's seem to get?????

Its quite simple, you posted in answer to me that i was arse licking BMW's

I asked you to point out where I had done that.

Do try and keep up like a good lad :)
    I removed the arse licking bit long before you posted, and subsequently mis-quoted me. Tis yourself that needs to keep up matey.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Indeed how come we dont hear much about the 1 series on boards for all the attention bmw's seem to get?????

Probably 'cause they are pretty rare here in Ireland, this I'd expect is mostly because they are very poor value for money.

Advertisement