Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lemon Water?

Options
  • 14-02-2008 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Just wondering if someone can tell me the pros and cons of having lemon in warm water every morning when trying to lose weight?
    I joined Weightwatchers two weeks ago and lost 8.5 lbs so far. I drank the lemon water on the first week but was advised not to keep doing this by my dad.
    Is this because it will upset my metabolism or does it benefit? Im thinking of doing it one week on and one week off so as not to upset my balance too much. The last thing I would like to do is to slow down any potential weightloss.
    Any advice would be great :)

Comments

I'm not a self styled expert but I don't think that lemon speeds up your metabolism as such, unless maybe you have it first thing and would otherwise be waiting a half an hour to eat?
    It just helps your digestive system, and is a liver and kidney flush.If your drinking the water lukewarm it has an alkalising effect on the body. Then there is the vit c.

I can't think of any cons....what was the reason your father gave?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think it can stain your teeth or something. There is some downside, but I don't think it really outweighs the pro's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'm no expert but I think that there are two very different opinions on the benefits or not of hot lemon; some say its a great way to kick start your system and others say it does nothing much at all. I don't think it does anything for your metabolism though.

I think it is bad for your teeth though as (I think) the acid in the lemon can cause some damage to your enamel.

IMO green tea in the morning would be better for your kidneys and it is an antioxidant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Luu

I find lemon water to be a good pick me up in the morning, and it would be no more harmful to your teeth than say a glass of orange juice (less so infact considering its diluted). If your just talking hot water and a slice of fresh lemon- where's the harm in it? Its caffeine free, some say it helps suppress the appetite (although I cant say I've found that- I just enjoy it), though I wouldn't say it would affect your metabolism in anyway.
    I'd just say, if you like it- carry on, if you don't- stop. :D

Well done on the weight loss so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I
    IMO green tea in the morning would be better for your kidneys and it is an antioxidant.

Clinical studies have show you need to consumed around a pint of green tea a day for three weeks to depress radical formation

But the down side is that green tea can affect folic acid absorption, which at that dose could be something to be aware if you are of child bearing age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Crazy Catlady

I thought it was to "cleanse yer pallet".
    I find it quite refreshing, and it helps me when i feel bloated.
    I wouldn't have thought there was a downside at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 christinamullan

thanks for the answers folks - think im going to keep drinking it. I find it refreshing and as long as it wont do my system any harm bcause of the acidity etc. then thats great

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

I have heard that this is a natural depressent a couple of times :eek: But you know these old wives tales...

Are there any benefits drinking luke warm water with lemon or green tea every day?

Advertisement