Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghost In GraveYard. UCD Archaeology Offical Photo

Options
  • 14-02-2008 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks

Some photos for analysis . I am really excited about this. Please have a look and tell me what you think. It was taken earlier this week by two archaeologists in a graveyard and church site in Palmerstown. Notes to accompany the photos below.

(please look at the bottom right for the image)

ghost.jpg

Two of us were wearing light blue/green coats that are of a waterproof nylon type cloth. We were both standing behind Vicky when she took the photos.

There was three of us on the site that day and only us. Because people come up to drink and do drugs we werevery careful of our surroundings and kept a lookout for anyone coming round.

Archaeologist 1

Weather was overcast all day and at times drizzly and wet. It was a gloomy day and none of us really wanted to be there. Mind you, this was the third time we had been on the site. But that Tuesday the site felt
    uneasy and unwelcoming. I was one of the people crawling around measuring distances off the baseline and although I don't really believe in haunted graveyards, I felt the need to apologize to the graves as I crawled
    over and around them. I had the heebie jeebies all day.

We didn't see anything and it was not until the next day when the photos were loaded onto the computer that Vicky saw the figure behind the grave stone. We discussed it and have no idea what could have caused that
    figure, there is nothing in the background. That side of the church is the only one free of most debris and bushes. I was hard pressed when we had to go back to the site the following Saturday, but the feel of the site
    was completely different. It was sunny most of the day and I only got the heebie jeebies from one grave that looks as though someone tried to dig it up. We took a few photos, but nothing showed up inthem. Regardless,
    there is no way in hell I would be there after dark and I am not real keen on going back in daylight either.

Archaeolgist 2 (photographer)

Laura and Claire were both wearing light
    coloured jackets, with reflective parts to them. I believe they both
    had their hoods up as well, but you would have to double check with
    them. They were both standing behind me, and to my left. There are 2
    more photos with 'orbs' although I had put them down to being something
    like a rain droplet. There was no one else in the area, just the three
    of us. The camera in question was a Canon S3IS, set on to automatic mode. I have another photo taken shortly before which shows nothing. I also think I may have used to flash
    but .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Thats interesting. Got a higher resolution?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I thought that image behind the gravestone was a statue at first. Very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

sorry i meant the image behind the grave stone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

havent a clue wtf that is

there's an orb in the bottom right though.......

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

TBH my first impression is that its a good old track suit head (Grimes you are to young to remember when Dublin was split down the middle with decent people versus Track Suit Heads, there was a great war, the Track Suit Heads were all killed off however legend has it that some still live on, hiding out, scabbing off the state and drinking yellow pack larger)
    The glow is interesting though, maybe some one from the Photo Forum could offer some explaination :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

It looks like a figure. But rationally speaking, it is actually a blob, you cant really see what it is. Our brains are hardwired to see order where there is none, to pick out human faces and figures from random shapes. Maybe its that happening.

Still, its intruiging.

Skanger in a gravyard .

Nothing paranormal there . It is extremly difficult to prove somthing paranormal with a picture .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Well its not a blob on the camera or anything like that. There if definately someone/something there.

Now I dont know the person who took the shot and I wasnt there when it was taken so I cant say know if there was a skanger standing there or not but there is definately something there.

skangerghost.jpg

the girls are insistent that there was nothing there and there was no one else in the vacinity. A photo taken right after shows nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Fooz

Maybe it's the ghost of a skanger then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

Fooz wrote: »
    Maybe it's the ghost of a skanger then?

lmao ,,ehhhhhhh scootar ,,lovleey,,,:D:p

6th wrote: »
    Well its not a blob on the camera or anything like that. There if definately someone/something there.

What are you basing that on? The "detail" within the white shape could easily be caused by digital noise or jpeg compression.

There are beer cans beer bottles and graffiti and somebody in a hood . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Very interesting picture! I'm a bit of a sceptic though, I must admit, although I'd like to think there are such things as ghosts, part of me says 'nah, not possible'.

I'm by no means an expert, probably dont even qualify to be an ameteur :p but I took a look at the pic, which you can see below.

graveyardghost.jpg

Whatever it is it has a very bright glow off it! Are there hoodies availible made from such material that are so reflective when photographed? The 'object' is clearly behind the gravestone as seen in picture A, note the red online of the gravestone which indicates that its not just a random digital white blob, but something clearly on the oposite side of that gravestone.

Also note, in picture A, the reflective shine off the 'object' has cast light down onto the top face of the gravestone (shown as red area in picture A). This shine is confined to the top face ONLY, none appears on the back, again, reinforcing the fact that its not digital noise or jpeg compression. Or that it is coming up from the gravestone itself and is slightly transparent.

You have to go back and see who's grave that is!! :D Also get someone to stand in that area and have someone take another picture, just to get some idea of a size comparison.

I assume you had to reduce the picture to put on here Grimes? Any chance you have a higher res version?

Thats what I got sent to me by the two archaeologists who took it. Im heading out to the graveyard tomorrow with Stoner at least to taken some EMF,EVP and photos and hopefully try to recreate the image with a white hoodie . Will post our findings asap.

Still the photographer insists there was no one there, especially not a scobie in a white hoodie.

Grimes wrote: »
    Thats what I got sent to me by the two archaeologists who took it. Im heading out to the graveyard tomorrow with Stoner at least to taken some EMF,EVP and photos and hopefully try to recreate the image with a white hoodie . Will post our findings asap.

Still the photographer insists there was no one there, especially not a scobie in a white hoodie.

Cool, do keep us posted, be interesting to see what you guys come up with!

4 of us went tout there this morning and was a great trip. More on this later when we go through our stuff.

More on this later when we go through our stuff.

:D looking forward to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Looks like darth vader. Yeah what ever it is its casting light on that grave stone which means that its something "real" as opposed to bad film or digital error. It DOES look like one of those North Face hikers jackets from behind with the hood down. as theres a noticable lob on the front. I would assume if it was real then its a hi-vis jacket reflecting the light of the flash (was there a flash?) those jackets are usually illuminus (sp?) yellow. Which again I assume you would notice if it was in the area, that is what they are designed for after all.

If you look to the left on the figure you can noticably see a fold when the left arm comes down. Again this could just be the human brain projecting but it really does look like an arm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

That orb is also the same luminocity as the "figure" though I dont really beleive in orbs to be honest personally.

• Advertisement

Ok a video from the trip to the graveyard yesterday.

monkeyfudge, 6th, Grimes & Stoner.

The video is about 13 minutes which is too long for youtube so I cant embed it here but disclose.tv is a video hosting site specifically for paranormal videos.

http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvideo/2964/P_I_Gs_investigate_Palmerstown_Graveyard/

Photos to follow from all of us but I cant seem to find my data transfer cable.

Enjoy.

2274299000_e91f6abbf6.jpg

Male approx. 5'9" standing just past the headstone.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I have 91 photos, and 6 EVP sessions and I have nothing -- well maybe something, i sent it off to the others to check, but its not much even if it is something

I have nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Here are my photos from yesterday:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/monkeyfudge/sets/72157603932549264/

Again... nothing to be seen. But it gives you an idea of what the location is like.

And here are mine:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42915738@N00/sets/72157603934239261/

Great spot, very peaceful.

Feedback on the video would be appreciated people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

Some nice photo in there. Seems like a nice spot. Its ashame to see it so run down, a disgrace really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I think it's time for nitefox to update his report on hooded figures :)

2274299000_e91f6abbf6.jpg

Male approx. 5'9" standing just past the headstone.

Were there any new photos taken from the exact same angle as the original? The camera position in the above image is much further to the left than the original.

• Advertisement

Yeah, as Zillah said, the angle is off a little bit, the origanl pic seemed to have been taken with a wide angle lens perhaps? I'm not sure. I tried to match the two of them together below, but the res isnt great, just an idea for comparison.

graveyard1.jpg

6th, can you remember exactly how close you were standing to that gravestone? The 'object' appears to be very close to it, almost touching it, you appear to be a couple of feet away from it, even still your height and build more or less match the 'object', so its something more or less human size anyway.

Also, can you remember when you walked over to that grave, would it be an area that you would naturally walk (ie a path or clear walkway) or was it any difficulty getting to that area? Just wondering if it is an area where someone would walk and if going that way where would they be going?

Advertisement