Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Percentage of fat in Salmon

Options
  • 13-02-2008 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭

Over the last couple of weeks I've reduced my carb intake and upped my protein and veggie intake for my evening meal.

This evening I saw on the box for two frozen salmon steaks from Lidl that there was 15g of fat per 100g. The total weight is 250g and I've often had the two pieces as they are quite small.

I was shocked to think that while I might be eating c500kcals I could also be eating 37g fat for my dinner.:eek:

So as silly as it sounds, I'm confused now and want to know can there really be that much fat in salmon? I always thought it was a superfood full of omegas and protein.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I always thought it was a superfood full of omegas and protein.
    Omega's are fats ;)

This is where it all get s a bit confusing, especially if you have any previous WW/ Unislim and the like experiences - they teach you high fat foods are bad, end of.

The truth is the kinds of fats found in salmon are wonderful, and you needn't be at all afraid to eat them. 37g in a meal is a little high, but I'd regularly consume 60-70g of fat in a day, usually spread over 3 o 4 of my 6 daily meals, and higher fat consumption helps me lose body fat faster.

Eat your salmon and enjoy it without guilt!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

What are the other things on the ingredients list? or is just just salmon and maybe water?
    I just looked on google and fresh pink salmon is listed as 6.7% fat

http://goldseal.ca/health/nutrient_comparing.asp

I got some frozen cod fillets in lidl, very low in fat, and they were just cod and water for freezing.

But I did see cod fillets in some sauce and they were quite high in fat, and the sauce made up a fair bit of the weight. At first they looked cheap, but when you worked it out the proper cod fillets were cheaper, and lower in fat.

-just found another page with higher fat contents listed, so it might be normal

http://www.imagesys.com/salmon%20deal.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

rubadub wrote: »
    What are the other things on the ingredients list? or is just just salmon and maybe water?
    Thanks G'em and Rubadub.

No nothing but salmon on the package. It is farmed though which is supposed to have a higher fat content than wild salmon which makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Just enjoy your salmon and don't worry about the fat content. Fish oil is one of the best fats around, and there's a fair bit of evidence that increasing the amount of oily fish and fish oil in your diet increases the rate at which you burn bodyfat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

It is farmed though...

For any farmed fish salmon cod etc I recommend you buy Irish.We have very good safety management here and our farms have the lowest sea lice levels of anywhere in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

g'em wrote: »
    Omega's are fats ;)

This is where it all get s a bit confusing, especially if you have any previous WW/ Unislim and the like experiences - they teach you high fat foods are bad, end of.

I have been told at WW to get a minimum of 2 portions of oily fish per week! And all fish is a free food for unlimited consumption on the Core plan.

(I am bold, though, and disobey, as I hate salmon.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Here's the nutritional info for 5oz of raw salmon according to fitday.com by the way. A mere 4 points by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Lets be clear, anyone on a diet should never be scared of eating any fish, bought fresh & grilled.

Infact, I bet if you ate a whole salmon that way for a month you wouldnt put much weight on.

Fish meat does not really hold any of the bad fats, especially when grilled. downside is that you also lose some of the good fats.

May be better experts on here but it may be that steaming the fish (cooked more slowly) is an even better way to reduce the bad but try to keep the good.

Advertisement