Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Maybe if the Gardai enforced the "Failure to drive on the left hand side of the road" thing people would get the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,114 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Absurdum wrote: »
    Maybe if the Gardai enforced the "Failure to drive on the left hand side of the road" thing people would get the message.

that would be lovely!!

First time driving on the opened section between sandyford/dundrum and red cow today, and people at dundrum exit were coming straight out into the middle lane when there was nothing in front of them in the left lane.

Makes my blood boil how ignorant irish drivers are of the rules of the road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Twas great this morning, but the traffic on the off ramp at Sandyford was ridiculous!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,114 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Twas great this morning, but the traffic on the off ramp at Sandyford was ridiculous!! :eek:

yeah - noticed that as I was going past. haven't seen it bad that early (about 7.35 or so) before.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 p4ddyv

why was the new section not opened at Sandyford to allow the left turning traffic avoid the lights? It seems to be complete, probably be another 6 months before they open that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

drove n7 junction to Cherrywood on it yesterday, thank God its all finally open. 95% of traffic in the two outside lanes though, I stayed left and only had to overtake 3-4 people the whole way :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The Firhouse flyover/bridge!!

Sitting on it and watching the M50 empty underneath was so cruel! I'm starting to think that bloody bridge and junction is dreamt up by Beelzebub himself. Every few months they f****ing dig it up again :mad::mad::mad::(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Pleasant surprise to hit the M50 at Firhouse this morning and find all lanes open. Hallelujah. Looking forward to seeing what it's like again in the evening.

Lane discipline terrible, but hardly surprising any more, no point it letting it frustrate as there is bugger all you can do about it.

they need to but massive "keep Left" signs up on those overhead gantries, maybe then the muppets will learn :p:o

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

they need to but massive "keep Left" signs up on those overhead gantries, maybe then the muppets will learn :p:o

I'm open to being corrected with stats, but I'd be amazed if that works.

The only thing that would work in my opinion is mass fines.

People only react to things that hit them in the pocket. I've never heard of anyone being pulled over let alone fined for hogging the wrong lane.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Many people don't even realise that they are in the wrong. They think that once they are moving fast they can then enter the "fast lane".
    It is down to the lack of driver education (and limited enforcement*) within this country.

* I'm reminded of this thread also

spockety wrote: »
    I'm open to being corrected with stats, but I'd be amazed if that works.

The only thing that would work in my opinion is mass fines.

People only react to things that hit them in the pocket. I've never heard of anyone being pulled over let alone fined for hogging the wrong lane.

actually having made the argument above I have several times found it extremely dangerous to be in the left hand lane between N7 and N4 junction going North as it slows to a standstill with people entering the (full of traffic) aux lane to turn off. Then you get stationary people pulling into the middle lane in the gaps where those behind them are doing 100kph. I am frankly amazed I haven't seen a truck flatten a car doing this, its absolute chaos at rush hour on Friday afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

actually having made the argument above I have several times found it extremely dangerous to be in the left hand lane between N7 and N4 junction going North as it slows to a standstill with people entering the (full of traffic) aux lane to turn off. Then you get stationary people pulling into the middle lane in the gaps where those behind them are doing 100kph. I am frankly amazed I haven't seen a truck flatten a car doing this, its absolute chaos at rush hour on Friday afternoon.

The problem is the Slip lane isn't long enough.
    There should be two Lanes for a bit longer, this will help ease out the sudden surge in weaving m0voments.

The solution would be to widen the auxilary lane to 2 lanes by 400metres. People who use the Auxillary lane near junctions should be in that lane to only turn off anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

They've opened the new upgraded section of the M50, with 3 lanes.

And they've reduced the speed limit to 100km/hr!!!!

Why oh why?

3 lanes in any other civilised country wouldn't warrant a speed limit reduction... but in Ireland, we're special, so we undo the benefits of €1bn and 4 years traffic chaos by REDUCING the speed limit.

Why?

di11on wrote: »

Why oh why?

3 lanes in any other civilised country wouldn't warrant a speed limit reduction... but in Ireland, we're special, so we undo the benefits of €1bn and 4 years traffic chaos by REDUCING the speed limit.

Why?
    100 was always the speed limit for that stretch between Tallaght & Sandyford.

Anyway, it was explained already a couple of pages back.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

Why oh why?

Why?

is it going to delay you much having to drive 20km/hr slower and also will you stick to the speed limit ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

is it going to delay you much having to drive 20km/hr slower and also will you stick to the speed limit ?

Speed enforcement is now being applied on the M50 mainline by private contractors, by both static and vehicle mounted cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Speed enforcement is now being applied on the M50 mainline by private contractors, by both static and vehicle mounted cameras

Really? Where are the static cameras?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I wonder will some further measures be necessary at J14 to deter people in the 2nd lane from trying to re-enter the M50 southbound by driving over the hatched area-like bollards (see N4/N7)?

The motorway goes from 4 lanes to 2 and I suspect people won't cop this to change lanes safetly and in good time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

...good, but we could also do with lane enforcement - AFAIK: lane 1 is the travel lane, lane 2 is the (sustained*) overtaking lane, and lane 3 is the additional overtaking lane - obviously, lane 4 on the M50 is the auxiliary lane for entering/exiting the motorway. IMO when one travels along a motorway, if there is little or no traffic, then he/she should stay in lane 1 and use lane 2 for overtaking slower vehicles. *If there is slower traffic moving in queues (in lane 1), he/she may stay in lane 2 (while same prevails) and use lane 3 for overtaking slower vehicles in lane 2.

Now, a question for you guys: if there are 4 mainline lanes (as in lanes 1,2,3&4 as opposed to lanes 4,1,2&3 on the M50), what way should the lanes be used? - I myself would presume that you would use them as required like on a 3 lane carriageway - in other words: stay left (unless overtaking a slower vehicle) until the traffic volume warrants otherwise. Can anyone add to this?

Thanks guys!

• Advertisement

It was a joy to drive home! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Why oh why?

Why?

Narrower lanes and more weaving movements, its an urban motorway anyway. I don't see the big deal

I think most people do about 120kmh on this stretch. The way people read speed limiits is always doing at least 10kmh than the sign says.:p

So if the sign is 120kmh, people will do 130kmh.

And this is the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

It was a joy to drive home! :)
    So true!!! I stepped into my car at 5.39pm in Cherrywood and turned on my TV at home in Inchicore (via Red Cow) as the Six One news was starting. Happy Days! :P.

This morning I left at 8.25am and was at my desk (via Liffey Valley) at 8.50am! - normally I try to leave by 8.15 and am storming in ~9.10am give-or-take with M50-cursing thundercloud in tow...

Oh I could get used to this! Question though, whereabouts exactly at or before the n/b Sandyford ON ramp does the 100kmh limit kick-in? I assume it should happen just as the 2 120kmh lanes become 3 but the first 100kmh speed limit signs don't appear for a few hundred meters after the 3 lanes are active.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Typical.
    When they were doing the upgrade works, the speed limits were set at 60kmph yet I never once saw a speed camera or the Gardai enforcing these limits.
    Then they finish the work and you can bet they'll have cameras festooned along the whole stretch reducing the overall speed to well below 100kmph due to people driving well below 100kmph "just in case the cameras accidentally clock them".

Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Are you sure this isn't future plans? Static cameras should be signposted by law IIRC.

I don't believe that this is currently the case (maybe something for the future). However, if it is in operation, who is providing the service? GoSafe?
    If there are fixed cameras in place, why then are notification signs not in place?
    Now, a question for you guys: if there are 4 mainline lanes (as in lanes 1,2,3&4 as opposed to lanes 4,1,2&3 on the M50), what way should the lanes be used? - I myself would presume that you would use them as required like on a 3 lane carriageway - in other words: stay left (unless overtaking a slower vehicle) until the traffic volume warrants otherwise. Can anyone add to this?
    The number of lanes does not detract from the simple rule that we are to keep left unless overtaking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Is GoSafe the foreign(French?) company that got the tender for private speed camera enforcement, and operating out of Kerry?

I believe they have the contract but I'm not sure where they are based.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Heroditas wrote: »
    Typical.
    When they were doing the upgrade works, the speed limits were set at 60kmph yet I never once saw a speed camera or the Gardai enforcing these limits..

There was a camera just after Tallaght northbound for a long time during the works.
    Heroditas wrote: »
    Then they finish the work and you can bet they'll have cameras festooned along the whole stretch reducing the overall speed to well below 100kmph due to people driving well below 100kmph "just in case the cameras accidentally clock them".

Very frustrating.

It's the stupid drivers you want to be venting at there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,913 ✭✭✭✭Stark

And various Gatso vans on the 60km/hr stretches. Though I think eventually the Gardaí decided they didn't want people obstructing the flow of traffic and stopped the speed checks. Friend of mine said he actually got pulled over for obstructing traffic while doing 60!

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement