Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

oddiot wrote: »
    Thankfully I was travelling the opp direction at 5:30. Wonder if the crash was caused by the new layout?

Quite possibly. I passed it on the way home this evening. It was a pretty severe rear-ending of car by a van. The rear of the car was destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

If you mean the VMS at the Ballymun turning, then it is correct! as the Aux lane goes to the M1N at that point, there are plenty of signs directing traffic to the middle(ish) lane for PT.

Came north again tonight and the queue for the roundabout was back beyond the Ballymin junction.

What should have happened it that there needed to be a week of "settling down" before rebuilding the roundabout, give drivers time to realise that the flyover is open and are using it. Today would have been the first day for the vast majority.

There was one of the VMS after the Auxiliary lane split into two.

I'd say 3 things led to the tailback tonight at the R/A,
    1. Accordin to 103.2fm there was a crash after the ballymum junction.
    2. There is only one lane open on the R/A until Thursday while the re-surfacing works are carried out.
    3. As you said above it was most peoples first time to use the new layout.

Have to say the new freeflow lanes worked well but we'll just have to wait until Thursday or Friday when the re-surfacing on the R/A is complete to see how this junction will really work in it's current semi-opened state.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

You're from America...right???? :)
    Totally agree with you...... you sum it up in one simple sentience!!!

OK.... Here are the facts about the M1SB/M50CW/M50PortTunnelBound (or whatever we call it).
    • The official Name of the road between M50-J3 and Dublin Port (including the tunnel) is "M50"
    • This causes a lot of confusion surrounding the M50NB and M50SB naming conventions.
    • This is why a lot of people and contractors continue to use the term M1SB. It is much less confusing than "M50CW" or "M50PortTunnelBound", etc
    • There is also a legacy of People calling it the M1
    • Personally, I don't think they should have ever changed it's name.
      • It just causes too much confusion,
      • They didn't combine it with a new Naming convention
      • They messed up all the signs from the very start.
    • They Should have:
      • Let the M50 be the "C-Style" orbital rout
      • Let the M1 continue to Dublin Port
      • And if there ever was an Eastern-Bypass, let that be the M11 once you go southside (M1 for the Northside section)
    Like the M1NB-J3 lane allocation, They don't have the balls to change it at this stage!!!!

The problem is that making the Port Tunnel the M1 would involve detrunking the N1 (as it would now follow the Port Tunnel). However there has been a turf war between Dublin City Council and the NRA over control of O'Connell Street (in particular). If the existing N1 was detrunked it would hand "victory" to Dublin City Council which the NRA is against, for whatever reason (the biggest one, apparently, being DCC's ongoing mission to reduce the speed limit on all roads under its control to 50 km/h which the NRA is against).

What the NRA have done (partially as a response to a dodgey Evening Herald article on this very subject charging that the Port Tunnel had been signed with the "wrong number") is re-signed M50 J3-J1 since it opened, ostensibly to remove the Dodgey Gantries, but also (while they were at it) removing any mention of ANY route number between J3 and J1 heading south, signing it only as "Tolled Tunnel". Heading north (i.e. "southbound" in the confusing terminology of the M50) the M50 number is still used, oddly!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

However there has been a turf war between Dublin City Council and the NRA over control of O'Connell Street (in particular).

TopMan icdg.....finger on the pulse here alright...Bud !

This "Turf War" has indeed been ongoing for some YEARS now and shows no sign of abating.
    It is all about fifedoms and control over policies and individuals being reluctant to accept change.

Its worthwhile noting that DCC gave a VERY direct "V" sign to the NRA by imposing a 30KPH "Special" speed limit along O Connell St last year.

It`s fair to say that few members of the General Public are aware of the extent of this bickering and it is also fair to warn the same General Public that this behaviour is Rampant throughout Public Administration in the Republic.

It is one reason why after 90 years of independence and 30 years of EEC/EU membership we still cannot guarantee running water supplies across large swathes of this State.

Will heads roll ?

Will they fcuxk !!! :mad:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Couldn't understand why they didn't just call the DPT a new route altogether. Obviously the best thing would've been to have the Port Tunnel entrance/exit at the north to have been way better laid out, but once they went for the design they did they should had the DPT as seperate and distinct from the M50.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

The M1 will still be from the Port tunnel to the M50, you can try change it but you had the chance to make the M50 mainline onto the portunnel, they opted for this crappy snaking free flow lanes around the M1 interchange. So it gives the idea that the M50 is totally separate from the M1.

If the DPT was extended to Sandyford, then it has a good chance of been called the M50.

The airport road will always be called the M1. So the idea of making this M50, is just really confusing since the M1 goes from the city to the Airport and north

Sometimes i just wonder who the hell is running this country.:rolleyes:

For all those saying that the N32 should have only one lane at the end of the M50, that was the case today due to resurfacing works and there was a very lengthy tailback around 5pm. Can only imagine that it would be much worse at peak times Mon-Fri.

Roadworks pays alot to the tailbacks and it was rightly stated no one is arguing having 2 lanes approaching the roundabout, just not a two lane dedication over a 4 lane section where the N32 only carries 10% of the traffic. Not 50% of it. The lane divider is realy arseways.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Hmm. Approach to the M1 Northbound slip from M50 was still crap this evening. Folks are still zipping up on the lane to the immediate right and pushing in at the last minute, causing a backlog.

Here's hoping the the opening of the second slip lane will ultimately solve these problems, because it would suck if they aren't temporary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Came through the junction this pm[ around 7:10 heading North on M1. 2 lanes of traffic queueing onto roundabout. dic^&eads!!! :D

Noone in freeflow lane. Saw a good few rucks using it this morning and a small queue to the roundabout then. looks like the truckers (who would be regular on the route) have copped it. Signage is good enough on the junction but I do agree it could be "advertised" on a few more roadside VMS leading up to the junction for a week or so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

cargo wrote: »
    Signage is good enough on the junction but I do agree it could be "advertised" on a few more roadside VMS leading up to the junction for a week or so.

Signage isnt the best leading up to it imo. Their is one overhead gantry and it points to belfast it lane 2. Lane 3 and 4 say Malahide. The sign should be uncovered probably to show belfast and city centre and dublin port on lane 1 and 2. Its already on the sign, just stupidly covered over!

On the other hand their is VMS scattered around the place, along the mainline going northbound warns you about it, as does coming in along the N3 and N7

• Advertisement

When the M6 was partially open a couple of years ago, there was one of the largest VMS signs in Europe in Kilbeggan flashing the direction to "DUBLIN" and people still missed the turning and you could often see them turning around! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭sk8board

first time back on this thread since '09.

I was coming home yesterdya evening about 6.30, unaware of the new layout, and happened to be coming on to the M50N at ballymun for a change

I noticed after about 100 yards that the traffic cones were missing inside me, moved in and took a look up the the lane...

there wasn't a soul in it, all the way up the hill to the M1N. as soon as I started to accelerate up along, suddenly all the guys behind me realised it was open and moved over.

I think everyone was just caught off-guard, not expecting the lay-out. I didn't see the signs either

as for the N32 being slow these evenings, I'm not convinced all those people are lemmings. The left-mst of the 2 lanes had all the traffic this evening, and the RHS one was nearly empty almost as far as the roundabout.

definitely the crash yesterday was because of the lay-out. When you come up to the M1 off-ramp, the divide in the lanes between M1N and M1S (don't start!) is incredibly sudden and when you're in a line of traffic watching the bumper in front, you could easily find yourself on the way into town and not out the M1N :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

mysterious wrote: »
    The M1 will still be from the Port tunnel to the M50, you can try change it but you had the chance to make the M50 mainline onto the portunnel, they opted for this crappy snaking free flow lanes around the M1 interchange. So it gives the idea that the M50 is totally separate from the M1.

If the DPT was extended to Sandyford, then it has a good chance of been called the M50.

The airport road will always be called the M1. So the idea of making this M50, is just really confusing since the M1 goes from the city to the Airport and north

Sometimes i just wonder who the hell is running this country.:rolleyes:
    Obviously individuals can refer to any road as what they want to, there'll still only be one correct name for it. A lot of people call the R132 the N1 but it's still the R132. In saying that nobody loses any sleep over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

mysterious wrote: »
    snaking free flow lanes around the M1 interchange. So it gives the idea that the M50 is totally separate from the M1.

Not a problem on the M11/M50 junction? Or is the M50 actually the M11? :)

Didn't pass that way this am. Any improvement? Have the sheep started to wake up yet? :)

Just on another this, what exactly are they doing with the works on the roundabout? I thought it was to stay as it was? I know they are ripping it for a new surface but I presume they are doing some mods to it as well or else they'd have done this nearer the end of the project.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61995133&postcount=292

here's the proposed junction but i can't see much difference on the old roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭highdef

For the second time in as many days, I've noticed a rather dangerous situation happening right at the beginning of the M50 when you come off the M1/M50 roundabout. The issue is that at this point there is only one lane with a wide emergency lane/hard shoulder on the left side. The road curves to the left at this point. This is completely fine in itself. As in most cases, it's driver stupidity that causes the problem, as is the case here.
    What happens is that traffic entering from the M1/M50 roundabout does so as normal but the odd thick/stupid/non observant person enters onto the hard shoulder instead, somehow thinking that it is a normal lane despite the thick yellow line between this lane and the normal lane. This in itself is not too dangerous. It's what happens a hundred metres or so further on that the real danger occurs. Here, the hard shoulder suddenly ends as the free flow slip from the M1 south carriage way takes over the same road space. Vehicles on this slip will most likely drive straight on to the M50 mainline as there is no need for them to yield as this slip lane becomes lane 1, thus if someone is driving along the hard shoulder, there is a high chance of an accident where the hard shoulder and the free flow slip lane meet. Maybe some cross hatching road markings or something similar are needed along this hard shoulder? All because some people are scarily stupid!!!

Has anyone else seen this occur yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

Didn't pass that way this am. Any improvement? Have the sheep started to wake up yet? :)

Just on another this, what exactly are they doing with the works on the roundabout? I thought it was to stay as it was? I know they are ripping it for a new surface but I presume they are doing some mods to it as well or else they'd have done this nearer the end of the project.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61995133&postcount=292

here's the proposed junction but i can't see much difference on the old roundabout.

New layout will be exactly the same as the old. Some of the old surface on the bridges was damaged and it was deemed better to replace than repair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

highdef wrote: »
    For the second time in as many days, I've noticed a rather dangerous situation happening right at the beginning of the M50 when you come off the M1/M50 roundabout. The issue is that at this point there is only one lane with a wide emergency lane/hard shoulder on the left side. The road curves to the left at this point. This is completely fine in itself. As in most cases, it's driver stupidity that causes the problem, as is the case here.
    What happens is that traffic entering from the M1/M50 roundabout does so as normal but the odd thick/stupid/non observant person enters onto the hard shoulder instead, somehow thinking that it is a normal lane despite the thick yellow line between this lane and the normal lane. This in itself is not too dangerous. It's what happens a hundred metres or so further on that the real danger occurs. Here, the hard shoulder suddenly ends as the free flow slip from the M1 south carriage way takes over the same road space. Vehicles on this slip will most likely drive straight on to the M50 mainline as there is no need for them to yield as this slip lane becomes lane 1, thus if someone is driving along the hard shoulder, there is a high chance of an accident where the hard shoulder and the free flow slip lane meet. Maybe some cross hatching road markings or something similar are needed along this hard shoulder? All because some people are scarily stupid!!!

Has anyone else seen this occur yet?

Thanks highdef,
    The hard shoulder in this location will be coned off today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭highdef

Thanks highdef,
    The hard shoulder in this location will be coned off today

That's brilliant, thank you. And thank you for such a prompt reply.

Just wondering, is this area being coned off today anyway or has my post prompted this action? I only ask because if it is due to my post, then I feel that it is fine work by yourself and your team(s) who regularly listen to what the regular Joe Soap says on this thread.

Oh, just something to add.....You say the layout on the roundabout will be exactly the same as before. I have looked at the PDF which verifies this. As there will no be only one lane onto the M50 SB, will the road markings on the roundabout between the N32 and the M50 be the following:
    Lane 1 - M50
    Lanes 2 & 3 - M1 North (or back to the N32)
    As there is only one lane onto the M50, it would probably be best to only have one lane on the roundabout dedicated for the M50 bound traffic.

To tie in with this one lane to the M50 idea, it would probably be best to have the road markings at the approach to the top of the N32 as left lane - M50 and M1 SB (or M50 CC, depending on your preference of road names) and right lane - M1 NB (and N32 U turn).

If this is the idea you already have planned, apologies for wasting your time!!

New layout will be exactly the same as the old. Some of the old surface on the bridges was damaged and it was deemed better to replace than repair

Thanks M50. That's what I thought, I was just wondering if it was for some enabling works I wasn't aware of.

Ye don't happen to have 400 odd spare VMS signs lying about somewhere so ye can let the M50NB - PT users know the freeflow is open? Or perhaps you might reinstate the tool booths so ye can hand out flyers while the drivers are stopped :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

I noticed the two single pillar concrete bridge supports at the N2 inbound to M50N slip (Junc 5). is that for pedestrian a bridge? not that there is any housing development that requires pedestrian access in that area. or is that for N2 outbound -> M50N freeflow?

there is nothing like this in the old drawings on m50.ie.

I'm surprised noone has been on here about the works to date on the N3 junction. Some of it looks fantastic and it's worthgetting photo's of now before the main structres start covering over the engineering that has gone on to support the new bridges.

I passed through M50SB to N3WB (towards Blanch) and the structures to your left as you go up to the old roundabout are mad looking. The tired supports look they are pupt in place to take a stand in a stadium (perhaps a viewing area to watch the jams in the evening :D ) Hopefully someone can take a spin out there with a camera and post up what i am referring to. It looks like there will be loads of banking on this slip when it's completed.

Perhaps M50 you might have an overhead of it "in progress".

Again if anyone has a camera and travels this regularily, please take a pic or 2.

Why is the M1 over the N32 rotary? Am i missing something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

I noticed the two single pillar concrete bridge supports at the N2 inbound to M50N slip (Junc 5). is that for pedestrian a bridge? not that there is any housing development that requires pedestrian access in that area. or is that for N2 outbound -> M50N freeflow?

there is nothing like this in the old drawings on m50.ie.

I believe it's for a pedestrian/cycle route that doesn't need to interact with traffic at grade. It looks certain that all road movements will be free flow, so this bridge would be essential if that's the case, otherwise they'd need lots of pedestrian crossings. It will connect to the r135/old n2. Cycling through the n2 interchange can be tough at times.

The Ballymun interchange isn't as high spec. I suspect that the freeflow slips there won't open until pedestrian lights are installed and also the lights they appear to be installing at the nct test centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Many Thanks M50 MGT! - Nice Map of the M1/M50 Interchange...

...would it be possible if you could give us the latest maps for both the N2 and N3 Junctions as well? - It would be great!

Regards! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Glad they finally got round to unveiling the overhead signs last night.

@m50 mgt,

Can you answer why the difference in the n32 signage?

Compare sign 006 and 010 on the pdf you just uploaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I'm surprised noone has been on here about the works to date on the N3 junction. Some of it looks fantastic and it's worthgetting photo's of now before the main structres start covering over the engineering that has gone on to support the new bridges.

I saw one or two photos on archiseek, yeah, it is definitely quite impressive. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Interesting so the roundabout will revert to an N road, and the M32 will disappear.

Learner drivers can now drive up the N32 and around the roundabout over the motorway and back down the N32 without breaking any laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Learner drivers can now drive up the N32 and around the roundabout over the motorway and back down the N32 without breaking any laws.

Unless they hit some pedestrians or cyclists....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,911 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What was stopping them from doing that before? I don't remember seeing restrictions on doing u-turns at the roundabout. (Not that I ever tried).

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement