Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police State Video

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

right, first of the powerade thing was was me being facetious, turn on yer sarkometer.

although 7 officers in the maydayriots were brought to book you may find that more who were not subject to video sctutiny faced no consequences.

I base this on what you would refer to as 'Biased' opinion from those who were present at the event

Mahatma I too was present at the event. I testified as a prosecution witness in all seven trials.

Despite there being "loads" of people there, surprisingly few people came forward and gave statements to the Garda Complaints Board. If people don't lodge a complaint, it's pretty hard for the Garda to investigate a complaint. In fact, going on memory now, I think the total complaints received by the GCB, and statements made to the GCB was under 30 people. The upshot of this is that the investigation had to rely primarily on the video footage.

Protesters who were arrested and released without charge hours later claimed handsome packages of damages going into five figure sums.
    The state's team, led by Conor Maguire SC, offered to settle the case. Ryan received a sum of €25,000 and her full legal costs for the 10-day hearing.

From here.

I do agree that the event exposed the inadequate checks and balances to our police, but I think you'll find that this event gave added impetuous to the creation of this state's Garda ombudsman.

So to summaries. The Police acted out of order. Several of the officers who can be correctly identified are prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Members of the public abused by the police, receive large sums of money as remuneration for their trouble. A new system is put in place for added checks and balances to stop this misuse of police power and authority.

How is any of the above is "proof" of a "police state" is beyond me.

tunaman wrote: »
    Don't forget to turn on your TV for all your unbiased needs. ;)

I know you find it impossible to believe that all the TV is controlled, but you should check out this documentary on the subject.

Orwell Rolls In His Grave

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4467655342219448521

This hasn't just happened overnight, instead it has been very gradual over decades, which has resulted in 5 huge corporations owning most of the media in the western world.

Once again I delight in the irony of someone posting to a video hosted by Google as proof that the world's media is controlled.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

If you cant see it, I cant show you

If you cant see it, I cant show you

Pithy and utterly worthless. I've explained my position, you haven't been able to put together a rational coherent argument, about something I have detailed first hand knowledge of, which directly contradicts your assertions about the event.

So instead of explaining your position you resort to the above.

Diogenes wrote: »
    Mahatma I too was present at the event.
    where?
    I testified as a prosecution witness in all seven trials.
    so you got around a bit,or were you only there where the cameras saw?
    Despite there being "loads" of people there, surprisingly few people came forward and gave statements to the Garda Complaints Board.
    this is one of the key factors of a police state,the population keeps its head down for fear of reprisal for those in authority
    If people don't lodge a complaint, it's pretty hard for the Garda to investigate a complaint. In fact, going on memory now, I think the total complaints received by the GCB, and statements made to the GCB was under 30 people.
    case in point
    The upshot of this is that the investigation had to rely primarily on the video footage.
    that'd be the independent sources I was talkin about
    Protesters who were arrested and released without charge hours later claimed handsome packages of damages going into five figure sums.
    and well they should, unlawful detention and all that. they were still arrested and dragged of the street tho, how many more did the cops find some trumped up reason to charge?

From here.

I do agree that the event exposed the inadequate checks and balances to our police,
    thank you
    but I think you'll find that this event gave added impetuous to the creation of this state's Garda ombudsman.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    So to summaries. The Police acted out of order.
    damm straight
    several of the officers who can be correctly identified are prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
    see above point
    Members of the public abused by the police, receive large sums of money as remuneration for their trouble.
    sorry we kicked seven shades of sh1te outa ya heres a few grand shutup.
    A new system is put in place for added checks and balances to stop this misuse of police power and authority.
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss
    How is any of the above is "proof" of a "police state" is beyond me.

If you cant see it, I cant show you:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

where? so you got around a bit,or were you only there where the cameras saw?

Mahatma I was holding the camera
    this is one of the key factors of a police state,the population keeps its head down for fear of reprisal for those in authority

But we've had reclaim the streets and street protests for years afterwards.
    case in point

Whut? If people don't co-operate with the investigation there's not going to be much of an investigation.
    that'd be the independent sources I was talkin about

What?
    and well they should, unlawful detention and all that. they were still arrested and dragged of the street tho, how many more did the cops find some trumped up reason to charge?

To the best of my knowledge no prostestor was convicted of anything.
    thank you

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

damm straight
    see above point

What alternative system do you suggest?
    sorry we kicked seven shades of sh1te outa ya heres a few grand shutup.

Firstly do you think people in genuine police state receive any form of compensation when they are arrested and beaten?

Secondly every single person settled out of court, meaning that the money was good enough for them.
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Do you have any evidence to base this assertion on, or is this yet another ad hominen?
    If you cant see it, I cant show you:rolleyes:

You can keep saying that, it doesn't make it anything more than empty rhetoric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭rigormortis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Is this showing us that sometimes the Police are bastards? shock horror.

Edit: I took a look at the videos.

The first one is a disabled person being tipped out of a wheelchair so they could search him. Looked like a drugs search to me. I don't think it was very nice to tip him out but we have no way to know what this person did to get himself arrested. It was one cop involved.

The second video shows an irate woman who appears to be drunk, who is not complying with the (one) police officer as he tried to get her to do the sobriety tests. He turns the camera off and then she ends up with a busted nose. He got fired for turning the camera off. I've had friends who've broken their nose from a fall or sports and they looked very like she did, with their faces all swollen up. So I'm guessing she may have fell, whether the officer helped her fall is another matter, either way he was fired.

These videos are supposed to prove a police state? are you serious? People with power will sometimes abuse that power, fact of life and always has been. You're a million miles from showing a police state.

meglome wrote: »
    You're a million miles from showing a police state.

Police state?, everywhere you go you are tracked, filmed and observed. Of course if you be a good boy and do everything as you are told, then you will be OK, for now.

http://www.portfolio.com/news-markets/national-news/ap/2008/02/19/amtrak-will-screen-passengers-bags

Trains are now terrorist targets?

So assuming that one wants drive a train into a building? How would this work, would you covertly build a track up to the intended target.

Insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Police state?, everywhere you go you are tracked, filmed and observed. Of course if you be a good boy and do everything as you are told, then you will be OK, for now.

http://www.portfolio.com/news-markets/national-news/ap/2008/02/19/amtrak-will-screen-passengers-bags

Trains are now terrorist targets?

So assuming that one wants drive a train into a building? How would this work, would you covertly build a track up to the intended target.

Insane.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Madrid_train_bombings

• Advertisement

humanji wrote: »

I am well aware of this. However where is the line drawn?

Based on this reasoning everyone and everywhere is a "terrorist"(false flag) threat.

Well you're the one who brought up driving a train into a building. And it's not assuming people are terrorists, it's trying to catch any terrorists before they kill anyone.

humanji wrote: »
    it's trying to catch any terrorists before they kill anyone.

There are no terrorists.

This has nothing to do with terrorism, terrorism is nothing more than a cover for taking away every right which you may have had in the past.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

mckenna45 wrote: »
    We seem to be hurtling towards a cashless society. What do people think about this, is it a threat to freedom or like me do you believe that it will help combat terrorism.http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-583308516023952474
    There are no terrorists.

This has nothing to do with terrorism, terrorism is nothing more than a cover for taking away every right which you may have had in the past.
    "The futility of consistency" - Brian Lenihan would be proud of you.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    "The futility of consistency" - Brian Lenihan would be proud of you.

Sarcasm, no?

There are no terrorists.

oh there are 'Terrorists' there always have been, take the RA asa case in point, its just that recently everyone who disagrees with the status quo is labeled that way, the new terror laws have just broadened the scope for what they can call 'acts of terror'

who was it that was on here last week tryin to claim that the RIRA were agents of the british Govt?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Sarcasm, no?
    Are you saying that you were being sarcastic when you started a thread claiming that a cashless society will protect us from terrorism, or when you said there are no terrorists?
    who was it that was on here last week tryin to claim that the RIRA were agents of the british Govt?
    That was none other than the same rigormortis.

Who do you think?

yeah I thought so, there was an aspect of rhetoricism in the question;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Jocksereire

• Advertisement
Advertisement