Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The British Empire Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Pathfinder

No that was a religion Paisley set up to bolster his ego, so he could become a self appointed God. AFAIK it doesnt have that many members.

If I set up the free Catholic church, and became its head and demanded that everyone called me Pope Erin Go Brath i'm sure people would defect from the Catholic Church in their millions. :cool: Goddamit you'll show me respect Pathfinder. I demand to be called 'his holiness' or 'his grace' from now on.

The Queen has never been the head of the Presbyterian church nor is she the head of Protestantism, which some like yourself like to believe.

She is head of the church of England.

Nor does Paisley claim to be the Pope, he is simply following what is written in the bible and no where does that mention the Pope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

and how does that differ from any other Empire?

What would the French have done in 1798 if they had hadn't been beaten off by the British? do you honestly thing that, despite the fact they had raped and pillaged all over Europe they wouldn't have done it in Ireland?

Or the Spanish, they wouldn't heve relied on potato blight to kill off a few irish, they would have just enslaved the whole lot and bumped off a few in the process.

Or Maybe Belgium, they would have been great benefactors to Ireland, well, as long as the Irish did what they were told and avoided the torture and mutilations.

If it hadn't been Britain, it would have been someone else here. failing that, Ireland would have had it's own empire (Which it did in sorts anyway).

" and how does that differ from any other Empire? " Which is the same as the Yorkshire Ripper trying to excuse himself by saying - " ah well maybe Jack the Ripper was worse than me, and maybe Fred West* was worse than me, and maybe Denis Nelson was worse than me etc. etc. ".

It differs in that britain was even much worse and twisted. Been easily the largest slave trader of millions of Africans, the largest Opium pusher forcing the Chinese to buy opium even though the consumption of it in britain was banned, been first to use poisionous gas on 10,000's of people in Iraq in the 20's, concentration camps used decades before the Nazi's, the list of war crimes perpetrated by it is almost endless. Britian even succeded in something the Nazi's falied to do, wiping out a whole race of people - the Tasmanian Aborigines. All this twisted scheme to yield an enormous amount of money for the british aristocracy. Oh yes, a history to be proud of indeed.

France was invited to Ireland in 1798 by the nationalist revoulotionaires to help liberate us from british occupation. Should we have succeded, we would have become a liberated nation to decide our own government and future - warts and all - under the wing of big brother France. An Irish govt. based on the revoulotionaire ideals of the day of France and America would certainly have been a big improvement from the misrule and injustices of britian.

But where is the evidence the French revoulotionaires " raped and pillaged all over Europe " as part of their campaign on the continent ?? Was it on the same level as say, britian in India ?? ( I suppose now we are going into a round of " if britians offical line is the world is flat, then it is flat " sort of replies from Fred :rolleyes::rolleyes:, as rightly pointed out by Erin Go Brath )

* ( I think you are aware of the fella :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

McArmalite wrote: »
    " and how does that differ from any other Empire? " Which is the same as the Yorkshire Ripper trying to excuse himself by saying - " ah well maybe Jack the Ripper was worse than me, and maybe Fred West* was worse than me, and maybe Denis Nelson was worse than me etc. etc. ".

It differs in that britain was even much worse and twisted. Been easily the largest slave trader of millions of Africans, the largest Opium pusher forcing the Chinese to buy opium even though the consumption of it in britain was banned, been first to use poisionous gas on 10,000's of people in Iraq in the 20's, concentration camps used decades before the Nazi's, the list of war crimes perpetrated by it is almost endless. Britian even succeded in something the Nazi's falied to do, wiping out a whole race of people - the Tasmanian Aborigines. All this twisted scheme to yield an enormous amount of money for the british aristocracy. Oh yes, a history to be proud of indeed.

France was invited to Ireland in 1798 by the nationalist revoulotionaires to help liberate us from british occupation. Should we have succeded, we would have become a liberated nation to decide our own government and future - warts and all - under the wing of big brother France. An Irish govt. based on the revoulotionaire ideals of the day of France and America would certainly have been a big improvement from the misrule and injustices of britian.

But where is the evidence the French revoulotionaires " raped and pillaged all over Europe " during their campaign on the continent on the same level as say, britian in India ?? ( I suppose now we are going into a round of " if britians offical line is the world is flat, then it is flat " sort of replies from Fred :rolleyes::rolleyes:, as rightly pointed out by Erin Go Brath )

* ( I think you are aware of the fella :D )

More of the boring fact free tripe then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Do you honestly think France gave a damn about Ireland?! Any opportunity to gain a closer base to the mainland UK, have a backdoor or even use Ireland as a diplomatic pawn in a peace treaty (or even sell the island back, should the price be right) was France's interest I'd imagine, not the freeing of small nations just because they could do it.

We'd have replaced one 'empire' with another. And to be honest I prefer speaking English than French :p

More of the boring fact free tripe then :rolleyes:
    Is that the best you can do ?? Sad :)
    I hope kreuzberger wouldn't mind if I use a quote of his - " I think the onus is on you to provide links that show those who planned and implemented these policies neither foresaw nor welcomed the results of their policies . Rather than have me chasing my tail providing links only to have a mindset dismiss it regardless . " ;)
    Do you honestly think France gave a damn about Ireland?! Any opportunity to gain a closer base to the mainland UK, have a backdoor or even use Ireland as a diplomatic pawn in a peace treaty (or even sell the island back, should the price be right) was France's interest I'd imagine, not the freeing of small nations just because they could do it.

We'd have replaced one 'empire' with another. And to be honest I prefer speaking English than French :p
    " a closer base to the mainland UK " - Freudian slip there Croppy :rolleyes:

No we wouldn't have been replacing one empire with another. As stated - " Should we have succeded, we would have become a liberated nation to decide our own government and future - warts and all - under the wing of big brother France. An Irish govt. based on the revoulotionaire ideals of the day of France and America would certainly have been a big improvement from the misrule and injustices of britian. "

It's amazing a fella who claims to be a nationalist and interested by 1798 would want britian to win - that is, unless he is a Unionist.....? ;).

• Advertisement

I hope kreuzberger wouldn't mind if I use a quote of his - " I think the onus is on you to provide links that show those who planned and implemented these policies neither foresaw nor welcomed the results of their policies . Rather than have me chasing my tail providing links only to have a mindset dismiss it regardless . " ;)

" a closer base to the mainland UK " - Freudian slip there Croppy :rolleyes:

No we wouldn't have been replacing one empire with another. As stated - " Should we have succeded, we would have become a liberated nation to decide our own government and future - warts and all - under the wing of big brother France. An Irish govt. based on the revoulotionaire ideals of the day of France and America would certainly have been a big improvement from the misrule and injustices of britian. "

It's amazing a fella who claims to be a nationalist and interested by 1798 would want britian to win - that is, unless he is a Unionist.....? ;).

You would actually be speaking French and eating garlic instead of the good ol British fry up.

Count your blessings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Pathfinder wrote:
    You would actually be speaking French and eating garlic instead of the good ol British fry up.

Count your blessings.
    The British fry up will give ye indigestion, not to mention a spare tyre lads. A few croissants is a much better way to start the day. English is an ok language, imo French and Irish sound a lot better spoken though.

come on, can't you come up with anything new, or are we going to start this whole thread all over again?

The British fry up will give ye indigestion, not to mention a spare tyre lads. A few croissants is a much better way to start the day. English is an ok language, imo French and Irish sound a lot better spoken though.

Look, knocking the British empire is one thing, but put the croissant down and leave the fry up alone. Some things are beyong criticism :D

Look, knocking the British empire is one thing, but put the croissant down and leave the fry up alone. Some things are beyong criticism :D
    The funny thing is a Full Irish breakfast is hardly any healthier. Maybe we would be a much healthier nation if the French colonised us instead. :(

• Advertisement

The funny thing is a Full Irish breakfast is hardly any healthier. Maybe we would be a much healthier nation if the French colonised us instead. :(

From what I can gather, the only difference is white pudding. In Ireland you get it, in England you don't. (and it's a full English Breakfast, not a British one, the lads in skirts like their porridge remember:p.)

It's a bit like Irish Breakfast Tea and English Breakfast tea. If they called it English, no one in Ireland would drink it:D

You might want to check out a few facts, try these sites

http://africanhistory.about.com/library/weekly/aa080601a.htm

There can be no excuses for the slave trade, it is amazing today that it could be even considered, but Britain was not "Easily the Largest Slave Trader". that "honour" goes to the Portugese I think.

The Opium trade to China was shocking, Britain was the biggest factor in that, but I haven't heard any accounts of British Traders forcing people to smoke it.

Gas in Iraq, I thnk we have done that to death now. It didn't happen did it. You are a big fan of Snickersman, why not read his posts.

Tasmanian Aborigines were wiped out, but most died of diseases brought by settlers, not systematik slaughter as you seem to think. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasmanian_Aboriginies

Concentration camps has already been done.

Now, why don't you toddle off and look up the word "Irony" in a dictionary and it will no doubt say "A SF/IRA supporter criticising another for drug trafficking and murder of innocent people".

Not forgetting FF that at the time the dangers of opium were not known, it was even legal in Britain up until the 1920s as was cocaine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭williambonney

To all the blinkered bittier people out there who seem to have a masochistic need to insist against all absolute facts that Ireland was not an integral part of the UK but a colony. What other colonial power can see one of its colonies from its own shore on a clear day? Is Northern Ireland (very much part of the UK) a colony? What other “colony” could elect an MP to the House of Commons that could achieve such as catholic emancipation (Daniel O’ Connell). This is my first and last word on this tiresome subject.

To all the blinkered bittier people out there who seem to have a masochistic need to insist against all absolute facts that Ireland was not an integral part of the UK but a colony. What other colonial power can see one of its colonies from its own shore on a clear day? Is Northern Ireland (very much part of the UK) a colony? What other “colony” could elect an MP to the House of Commons that could achieve such as catholic emancipation (Daniel O’ Connell). This is my first and last word on this tiresome subject.

Flimsy arguments. Theres always been a big body of water dividing Britain and Ireland. You can see across to Antrim from the Mull of Kintyre or wherever on a fine day. So what?
    Ireland is, was, and always has been a seperate entity, and a seperate island. We were colonised, and now we're free (except the wee six). Britain my friend is a place the other side of the Irish sea.

We may have been seen by our former rulers as an integral part of Britain, but we as a nation have never seen ourselves as British (except a minority of people in the North obviously).

You might want to check out a few facts, try these sites

http://africanhistory.about.com/library/weekly/aa080601a.htm

There can be no excuses for the slave trade, it is amazing today that it could be even considered, but Britain was not "Easily the Largest Slave Trader". that "honour" goes to the Portugese I think.
    " Britian became the leader of the slave trade in 1629, only ten years after its conception, and within 250 years had transported double the number of Africans into slavery as all other countries combined." http://www.floridareenactorsonline.com/realslavetraders.htm
    The Opium trade to China was shocking, Britain was the biggest factor in that, but I haven't heard any accounts of British Traders forcing people to smoke it.
    " I haven't heard any accounts of British Traders forcing people to smoke it " Not worth commenting on for stupidity and grasping at straws :rolleyes::rolleyes:.
    Gas in Iraq, I thnk we have done that to death now. It didn't happen did it. You are a big fan of Snickersman, why not read his posts.
    It did happen, your heros, the war criminals Churchill and Bomber Harris were respondcible.
    Tasmanian Aborigines were wiped out, but most died of diseases brought by settlers, not systematik slaughter as you seem to think. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasmanian_Aboriginies
    So that's great, now there's a good excuse to say that the genicide inflicted on the Native Americans, the people of Cambodia by the Khymer Rouge etc was not totally the fault of the American govt. or Khymer Rouge because a lot of them were killed off by disease and starvation and not actual phyiscal violence, so lets not blame them. A brillant example of example of the british sense of justice and fairplay I must say. " "The Black War of Van Diemen's Land" was the name of the official campaign of terror directed against the Black people of Tasmania. Between 1803 and 1830 the Black aborigines of Tasmania were reduced from an estimated five-thousand people to less than seventy-five. We make no pompous display of Philanthropy. The Government must remove the natives--if not, they will be hunted down like wild beasts and destroyed!" *

Concentration camps has already been done.
    Yes, you did it decades before the Nazi's - though you'll try and refer to them as holiday camps or something else and then it'll be back to a round of " if britains offical line is the world is flat, then it is flat " sort of replies from our English unionist :rolleyes:.

Now, why don't you toddle off and look up the word "Irony" in a dictionary and it will no doubt say "A SF/IRA supporter criticising another for drug trafficking and murder of innocent people".
    I have asked you before to provide the names and information of IRA memebrs and SF politicans caught and convicted of drugs offences - you haven't provided one because the whole drugs thing is a complete fabrication, just like the weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, the German Plot of 1918 **used to imprison the SF leadership etc, etc. As for the murdering of innocent people - well britain would probably know more about that than any other country in the world wouldn't you ??

* http://www.cwo.com/~lucumi/tasmania.html
    **http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9E0CE1DB103BEE3ABC4052DFB3668383609EDE

" Britian became the leader of the slave trade in 1629, only ten years after its conception, and within 250 years had transported double the number of Africans into slavery as all other countries combined." http://www.floridareenactorsonline.com/realslavetraders.htm

Interesting article. I never knew the confederate states were at the fore front of banning slavery and it was actually the rest of the US that banned banning it. They seem to have the same view on history as you do:rolleyes:

It did happen, your heros, the war criminals Churchill and Bomber Harris were respondcible.
    other than a highly doctored quote in the grauniad, do you have any proof. You constantly saying it like a broken record does not constitute proof.
    I have asked you before to provide the names and information of IRA memebrs and SF politicans caught and convicted of drugs offences - you haven't provided one because the whole drugs thing is a complete fabrication, just like the weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, the German Plot of 1918 **used to imprison the SF leadership etc, etc. As for the murdering of innocent people - well britain would probably know more about that than any other country in the world wouldn't you ??

oh yeah, that's right. Tell me, if the SF/IRA/An Phoblacht told you the earth was flat, you'd believe that too.

Maybe SF need to send a few more councillors and convicted bombers out to Columbia to check on the current situation out there:rolleyes:

Pathfinder wrote: »

Count your blessings.

No, we would have been speaking Irish with French the second language. I myself love garlic, on toasted bread or in a curry or on a pizza. I would have thought a Unionist would refer to it as an 'Ulster fry' :D, something I must say I never heard of until the last few years, despite growing up near the border and have yet to hear it called an " Ulster fry" in counties Donegal, Cavan or Monagahan while in the six counties, should the business be owned by a nationalist proprietor, it is referred to by it's traditional and proper name - an Irish fry. I reckon the "Ulster fry" makey uppy name has come about around the same time as the 'invention' of Ulster Scots 'language'*

An Irish fry is similair to an English fry but it may contain potato cakes, black or white pudding and soda bread. In America they just refer to it as "bacon and eggs" but also contains hash browns which are similair to potato cakes.

*http://www.ulsterscotsagency.com/home.asp

Interesting article. I never knew the confederate states were at the fore front of banning slavery and it was actually the rest of the US that banned banning it. They seem to have the same view on history as you do:rolleyes:

Completely wrong. It was not the " confederate states " who voted to ban slavery in 1774, as the confederacy did not come into effect until 1861. But two of them, North and South Carolinia who over a century later where indeed part of the confederate states. I am not the author of the site, if you wish to query the economic and social reasons ( Machiovellian I would say ) for this particuliar legislation at that period, then do so from them.
    other than a highly doctored quote in the grauniad, do you have any proof. You constantly saying it like a broken record does not constitute proof.

Yet again :rolleyes:I have to post this - The Guardian, Saturday April 19 2003 - "The British responded with gas attacks by the army in the south, bombing by the fledgling RAF in both north and south. When Iraqi tribes stood up for themselves, we unleashed the flying dogs of war to "police" them. Terror bombing, night bombing, heavy bombers, delayed action bombs (particularly lethal against children) were all developed during raids on mud, stone and reed villages during Britain's League of Nations' mandate.
    "http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/apr/19/iraq.arts There was also a programm on channel 4 about it ( which unfortunately I didn't see), the renouned speaker and writer Noam Chomsky also mentions it in his books.
    oh yeah, that's right. Tell me, if the SF/IRA/An Phoblacht told you the earth was flat, you'd believe that too.

Maybe SF need to send a few more councillors and convicted bombers out to Columbia to check on the current situation out there:rolleyes:
    Your the one making the accusation, I've only asked you to provide the proof * - and yet again you cannot provide any because as stated it's a complete fabrication like the waepons of mass destruction in Iraq. If someone says something and cannot bring foward any eveidence to substanciate it, then I tend to disbelieve them, no matter what SF or anyone else has to say. Your the one doing the earth is flat bit ;)

* 17:45, 14-07-2007 " Tell me, in the 25 years of the troubles, how many IRA men ended up on the IRA wings of a prison for drugs, extortion offences ? I mean there wasn't a week that went by that these accusations were been made against them - but not one single conviction ? "
    15:09, 29-09-2007 " Where's the evidence pal, EVIDENCE. Accusation and black propaganda is one thing, actual proof is another. Still I cannot resist putting another nail in the coffin of the 'great' and 'glorious' history of britian - the worst drug pusher in history "

Yet again :rolleyes:I have to post this - The Guardian, Saturday April 19 2003 - "The British responded with gas attacks by the army in the south, bombing by the fledgling RAF in both north and south. When Iraqi tribes stood up for themselves, we unleashed the flying dogs of war to "police" them. Terror bombing, night bombing, heavy bombers, delayed action bombs (particularly lethal against children) were all developed during raids on mud, stone and reed villages during Britain's League of Nations' mandate.
    "http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/apr/19/iraq.arts There was also a programm on channel 4 about it ( which unfortunately I didn't see), the renouned speaker and writer Noam Chomsky also mentions it in his books.
    the article is wrong, it has been proved to be wrong yet you still post it. The reason you still post it is because there is nothing else to back up your accusations.
    * 17:45, 14-07-2007 " Tell me, in the 25 years of the troubles, how many IRA men ended up on the IRA wings of a prison for drugs, extortion offences ? I mean there wasn't a week that went by that these accusations were been made against them - but not one single conviction ? "
    15:09, 29-09-2007 " Where's the evidence pal, EVIDENCE. Accusation and black propaganda is one thing, actual proof is another. Still I cannot resist putting another nail in the coffin of the 'great' and 'glorious' history of britian - the worst drug pusher in history "

For exactly the same reason no one has been brought to justice for the Omagh bombing...Fear. Anyone who dare speak out ends up somewhere in the Dublin mountains.

But of coursem the blinkered republicans are still convinced the SF/IRA beat, killed and tar and feathered drug dealers because they are community minded cuddly people right :rolleyes:

Mind you, that may change now Bernard Dempsey is behind bars right.

• Advertisement

the article is wrong, it has been proved to be wrong yet you still post it. The reason you still post it is because there is nothing else to back up your accusations.
    Well, provide the proof against the Guardian, Channel 4 and Noam Chomsky. And here is a quote from Robert Fisk " Again, the archives come to our rescue. The Royal Air Force, again with Churchill's support, bombed rebellious villages and dissident tribesmen in Iraq. Churchill urged the employment of mustard gas, which had been used against Shia rebels in 1920. " http://www.robert-fisk.com/articles403.htm ( Scroll, near the botom )

For exactly the same reason no one has been brought to justice for the Omagh bombing...Fear. Anyone who dare speak out ends up somewhere in the Dublin mountains.

But of coursem the blinkered republicans are still convinced the SF/IRA beat, killed and tar and feathered drug dealers because they are community minded cuddly people right :rolleyes:
    I was very under the impression that it was the failure of the RUC/PSNI as to the reason no one has been brought to justice for the Omagh bombing.
    " Police Ombudsman Nuala O'Loan published a report on December 12, 2001 that strongly criticised the Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) over its handling of the bombing investigation. Her report stated that RUC officers had ignored the previous warnings about a bomb and had failed to act on crucial intelligence. She went on to say that officers had been uncooperative and defensive during her inquiry. RUC officers had moved people towards the bombing site, which they said that they did because the warnings had mentioned the Courthouse.

Some would say it was a bit like asking brit intelligence to investigate the 1974 Dublin/Monaghan bombings.
    Mind you, that may change now Bernard Dempsey is behind bars right.

As for Bernard Dempsey, I actually knew Jimmy Curran very well, often trained with him and had a pint afterwards, ( poor old Jimmy was fond of a pint, some kickboxer though, twice a European champion ).

Irish Independent 'report' - " They say Mr Curran, a champion kick-boxer, had seen Dempsey and his associates taking an envelope of cash from members of a well-known heroin dealing gang in a local pub. ....Mr Curran had personal experience of the damage heroin had done to his local community, and began shouting down the bar at Dempsey. "He was shouting: 'Here, I'll buy you a pint. This is not drug money. This is clean money'," a local source said......Dempsey was said to be furious but was unable to do anything as the powerfully built Mr Curran would have "hammered" him, local people said.....Dempsey took his revenge for this loss of face on April 3 2005, when he walked up behind Mr Curran, who was sitting at the bar, and shot him through the back of the head. The murder was carried out in the full view of customers. " COMPLETE BOLLOX. TOTAL BLACK PROPAGANDA. WELL NOW, IF EVER THEY WAS PROOF OF THE SH!TE INDEPENDENT NEWSPAPERS WRITE REGARDING ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE IRA AND EVEN THE NORTH IN GENERAL

What REALLY happened - Dempsey was actually Jimmy's brother in law. Bad blood between them over a stupid drunken row, which Jimmy unsurprisingly won, a while previously. Jimmy was very drunk, came into the pub and fell asleep at the bar, Dempsey wasn't sober either, left, got a gun, returned and shot Jimmy in the back of the head twice. FACT, not Sir O'Reilly's comic stories.

Well, provide the proof against the Guardian, Channel 4 and Noam Chomsky. And here is a quote from Robert Fisk " Again, the archives come to our rescue. The Royal Air Force, again with Churchill's support, bombed rebellious villages and dissident tribesmen in Iraq. Churchill urged the employment of mustard gas, which had been used against Shia rebels in 1920. " http://www.robert-fisk.com/articles403.htm ( Scroll, near the botom )

I was very under the impression that it was the failure of the RUC/PSNI as to the reason no one has been brought to justice for the Omagh bombing.
    " Police Ombudsman Nuala O'Loan published a report on December 12, 2001 that strongly criticised the Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) over its handling of the bombing investigation. Her report stated that RUC officers had ignored the previous warnings about a bomb and had failed to act on crucial intelligence. She went on to say that officers had been uncooperative and defensive during her inquiry. RUC officers had moved people towards the bombing site, which they said that they did because the warnings had mentioned the Courthouse.

Some would say it was a bit like asking brit intelligence to investigate the 1974 Dublin/Monaghan bombings.

As for Bernard Dempsey, I actually knew Jimmy Curran very well, often trained with him and had a pint afterwards, ( poor old Jimmy was fond of a pint, some kickboxer though, twice a European champion ).

Irish Independent 'report' - " They say Mr Curran, a champion kick-boxer, had seen Dempsey and his associates taking an envelope of cash from members of a well-known heroin dealing gang in a local pub. ....Mr Curran had personal experience of the damage heroin had done to his local community, and began shouting down the bar at Dempsey. "He was shouting: 'Here, I'll buy you a pint. This is not drug money. This is clean money'," a local source said......Dempsey was said to be furious but was unable to do anything as the powerfully built Mr Curran would have "hammered" him, local people said.....Dempsey took his revenge for this loss of face on April 3 2005, when he walked up behind Mr Curran, who was sitting at the bar, and shot him through the back of the head. The murder was carried out in the full view of customers. " COMPLETE BOLLOX. TOTAL BLACK PROPAGANDA. WELL NOW, IF EVER THEY WAS PROOF OF THE SH!TE INDEPENDENT NEWSPAPERS WRITE REGARDING ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE IRA AND EVEN THE NORTH IN GENERAL

What REALLY happened - Dempsey was actually Jimmy's brother in law. Bad blood between them over a stupid drunken row, which Jimmy unsurprisingly won, a while previously. Jimmy was very drunk, came into the pub and fell asleep at the bar, Dempsey wasn't sober either, left, got a gun, returned and shot Jimmy in the back of the head twice. FACT, not Sir O'Reilly's comic stories.

so a respectable newspaper writes something you don't like about a Sinn Fein member taking back handers from drug dealers and it is Black Propaganda. A Newspaper writes something you do like, it is the truth.

OK, I get it. I suppose everyone of the Journos at the Indo are West Brits are they, or Unionists, or sympathisers?

Thanks for the information regarding Omagh, I didn't realise the RUC planted the bomb I thought it was some sick murdering republican.

Tell me, what shape is the world?

so a respectable newspaper writes something you don't like about a Sinn Fein member taking back handers from drug dealers and it is Black Propaganda. A Newspaper writes something you do like, it is the truth.
    It's a rag, you know it, I know it, everyone knows it. And Dempsey had been a member of SF but left it years previously.
    OK, I get it. I suppose everyone of the Journos at the Indo are West Brits are they, or Unionists, or sympathisers?
    Yep.
    Thanks for the information regarding Omagh, I didn't realise the RUC planted the bomb I thought it was some sick murdering republican.

Tell me, what shape is the world?
    Never said they planted it, but they do seem to be more concerned with covering it up than finding the truth, hence the calls by the victims families for an international inquiry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Flimsy arguments. Theres always been a big body of water dividing Britain and Ireland. You can see across to Antrim from the Mull of Kintyre or wherever on a fine day. So what?
    Ireland is, was, and always has been a seperate entity, and a seperate island. We were colonised, and now we're free (except the wee six). Britain my friend is a place the other side of the Irish sea.

We may have been seen by our former rulers as an integral part of Britain, but we as a nation have never seen ourselves as British (except a minority of people in the North obviously).

Does it bother you that the "original Irish", that you keep harping on about probably came from Britain after settling there for a while and then canoeing across the Irish Sea?

Never said they planted it, but they do seem to be more concerned with covering it up than finding the truth, hence the calls by the victims families for an international inquiry.

Smoke and mirrors.

There are a lot of people who know who planted this bomb and they are being hidden/protected by people. The RUC/PSNI making a complete hash of the investigation does not change that. Typical terrorist apologist. Blame everyone except those that perpetrated the crime :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Pathfinder wrote: »
    From what I can gather, the only difference is white pudding. In Ireland you get it, in England you don't. (and it's a full English Breakfast, not a British one, the lads in skirts like their porridge remember:p.)

It's a bit like Irish Breakfast Tea and English Breakfast tea. If they called it English, no one in Ireland would drink it:D

Come on guys, take it to the food & drink forum ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kreuzberger

No, we would have been speaking Irish with French the second language. I myself love garlic, on toasted bread or in a curry or on a pizza. I would have thought a Unionist would refer to it as an 'Ulster fry' :D, something I must say I never heard of until the last few years, despite growing up near the border and have yet to hear it called an " Ulster fry" in counties Donegal, Cavan or Monagahan while in the six counties, should the business be owned by a nationalist proprietor, it is referred to by it's traditional and proper name - an Irish fry. I reckon the "Ulster fry" makey uppy name has come about around the same time as the 'invention' of Ulster Scots 'language'*

An Irish fry is similair to an English fry but it may contain potato cakes, black or white pudding and soda bread. In America they just refer to it as "bacon and eggs" but also contains hash browns which are similair to potato cakes.

*http://www.ulsterscotsagency.com/home.asp

Many years back whilst breakfasting in city centre Belfast my country chums and I reguarly insisted upon asking for " an occupied 6 counties fry" just to annoy people .
    Wed never heard a fry referred to as an " Ulster fry" until after travelling up the motorway . Ive lived in the 6 counties most of my life but never actually bought an " ulster fry" untill i went to belfast . The Soda bread and potato bread might differentiate it a little . But its more likely the little artifical makey uppy plastic state desperately needed something uniquely cultural to try and maintain the ridiculous pretence its a country , so insisted on calling a fried breakfast after " ulster" . :rolleyes:

It appears to be partitions least offensive "cultural" icon , but probably more deadly than the rest . The exact same breakfast is sold in numerous Ulster towns as a simple breakfast with no Ulster adjective necessary . Needless to say theyd be majority nationalist .

I just call it "breakfast!" ;)

Does it bother you that the "original Irish", that you keep harping on about probably came from Britain after settling there for a while and then canoeing across the Irish Sea?

Really, i'm off to top myself then. :rolleyes:

Whats up you lot, always trying to make out we're Brits in some way?
    Have the Brits infected our water supply with some type of shoneen serum? :eek: What a dastardly lot they really are!

Tiocfaidh ar lá!
    EIRE 32!
    Brits out!

I feel better again now. :D

• Advertisement

Gio back far enough and we all descend from African bushmen, natural migration north & west from central Europe. we ALL share the same common ancestory. I'm related to all of you, even mcarmalite! ;)

Advertisement