Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Company coming to Carlow

Options
  • 08-02-2008 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

This sounds very exciting!!!!

logo_printable_business.gif
    Jobs
    US firm to create 200 Carlow jobs

[URL="javascript:showPlayer('jobs_av.html')"]icon_audio.gif[/URL]Friday, 8 February 2008 10:59
    Up to 200 jobs could be created over the next few years in Carlow town with the announcement that the US financial services giant Unum is to establish a software operation there.
    The IDA-backed company is promising 100 jobs by the end of 2009 with up to a further 100 more planned after that. Today's news follows a number of job losses in the town including the closure of Greencore's sugar operations.
    Unum is a provider of insurance services such as disability income and income protection to the US employment market. Last year it generated more than $10 billion of sales.
    Advertisement

The company's is establishing what it describes as a strategic software service centre in Carlow, supporting Unum's US operations.
    The initial 100 jobs will go to graduates, as will a planned campaign to recruit 100 more into the future.
    Meanwhile, there are fears that there may be job losses at the ICT Europe customer support centre in Belmullet, Co Mayo.
    The company employs 140 and is the town's largest employer. Workers have been told that they will be addressed by senior management from the US on Monday afternoon. There has been speculation for the past week that the company may be planning to reduce its workforce.
    A company spokesman told RTE News said he had no comment on the speculation but staff had been informed that they would be briefed by senior executives on Monday. The company has been in operation in Belmullet for the past five and a half years. Údarás na Gaeltachta, which has provided grant assistance for the company, says it is in negotiations with it in relation to its future in Mayo.

[URL="javascript:PrintPreview()"]icon_printable.gif[/URL][URL="javascript:PrintPreview()"]printable version[/URL]
    [URL="javascript:MailToAFriend()"]icon_share.gif[/URL][URL="javascript:MailToAFriend()"]share this[/URL]

Audio & Video
    • Morning Ireland: [URL="javascript:showPlayer('jobs_av.html?2334708,null,209')"]The 7.10 bulletin with Christopher McKevitt [/URL]
    Story from RTÉ Business:
    http://www.rte.ie/business/2008/0208/jobs.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

It is exciting the only trouble is that there appears to be a long delay in getting the jobs available as they haven't even yet located a site in carlow :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 biglou

I've heard they will have temporary space available and are starting to hiring immediately. Lot's of jobs posted on the website, www.unum.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

OH wow that's a different story so.. ...... runs off and digs out the CV ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Brilliant news,carlow is on a roll aftera few tough years jobswise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

That's brilliant news isn't it, Finally a bit of light at the end of the tunnel with regard to IT sector jobs in the south east, Thanks for shedding light on that. As a fellow IT student, I may also to run off and dig up a cv lol :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

has anyone been in touch with them in person? The website may be dressing it up but if they have only located a site now when do they start on hiring and actually doing work?

wow, the carlow forum is living up to the reputation of the county itself, boring and very quiet!
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭nagero

has anyone been in touch with them in person? The website may be dressing it up but if they have only located a site now when do they start on hiring and actually doing work?

They're expecting people to start work during April. They are getting back to people who posted their details on the website.

kevin

nagero wrote: »
    They're expecting people to start work during April. They are getting back to people who posted their details on the website.

kevin

spot on, thanks Kevin.

2 stories in todays Nationalist

Major boost as US firm offers 200 high-level jobs in Carlow
    http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/news/story/?trs=mhmhgbcwey
    The new facility will be located on Carlow’s Dublin Road on land currently owned by Miltown Engineering.

Is that out opposite the IDA Park? where Darcys and The blue barn are?

TDs jumping for joy as Martin scores a hat-trick
    http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/news/story/?trs=mhmhgbcwmh

kevin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Yep, great news and in the current environment its amazing that Carlow has attracted such investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

they were advertising nationally on TodayFM this morning..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Anybody apply and get word back off them?

Sounds like interviews are underway! My buddy is meeting with the head of the unit next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭tdvit

biglou wrote: »
    Sounds like interviews are underway! My buddy is meeting with the head of the unit next week.

what position is he going for if you dont mind me asking? I have applied but have not got anything back other than the automated response. Does anyone have an email address that you can send a follow up email to so I can get an update on progress?

This this one (from the website):

UnumIrelandCareers@unum.com

Has anyone heard anything else on this?

tdvit wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything else on this?

Hi tdvit,

They're hiring 25 IT/Developer positions at the moment. More will probably come onstream in a few months...

Methinks they might have found those in the first week after it was announced. A friend of mine applied about a week later and was told the above.

kevin

thanks for the info.

I mailed the email address and still got no response at all from them...

Noticed that they updated the jobs page with some more levels.

There are graduate positions listed now.

http://www.unum.com/ireland/currentvacancies.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

well that was a bit spontaineous..... I just applied for the ICT support admin

had a bit of a phone interview lastnight from a lovely lady called Shannon.
    Unfortunately, I don't have a strong enough backround for what they're looking for at the moment but I may be more suited to a Network Engineer position coming up later in the year :)

anyway, they're looking for .NET and C# programmers right now. if there's anyone interested I can pass on shannon's contact details and you can essentially "cut out the middle man".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Is there any positions in java programming?

there was no mention of java. She just said C#.NET

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bobby Hill

Hi folks,

do ye know if they are looking for software test engineers / test managers also ?

Hi

http://www.unum.com/ireland/currentvacancies.aspx

Apr 8, 2008 ICT Support Analyst/Administrator - Contractor Carlow
    Mar 31, 2008 Java/J2EE Software Engineer Carlow
    Mar 28, 2008 Mainframe Developers Carlow
    Mar 25, 2008 Personal Assistant Carlow
    Mar 17, 2008 Senior Software Engineer III Carlow
    Mar 17, 2008 Graduate Software Engineer Carlow
    Mar 17, 2008 Associate Software Engineer Carlow
    Mar 17, 2008 Senior Software Engineer II Carlow
    Mar 13, 2008 Sr. SW Engineer I Carlow
    Mar 12, 2008 Software Engineer Carlow
    Mar 12, 2008 Systems Manager Carlow
    Mar 12, 2008 Network Engineer Carlow
    Mar 12, 2008 Project Manager II

I don't see any test positions listed at the moment. They may come later as initially there may not be a whole lot of stuff to test.

Had a look at their office last night, it's all cleared out ready for a refit.

kevin

/me is a unum employee but still working out my notice with my current employer

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bobby Hill

Hi,

Thanks for that. I had seen those job adverts just thought someone might be in the the know regarding future jobs as mentioned already.
    Thanks

Bobby Hill wrote: »
    just thought someone might be in the the know regarding future jobs as mentioned already.
    Thanks

I think that's directed at me?? I'm not in the know, I was just talking to a nice recruitment lady as part of a phone interview and she said if i know of any C#.Net programmers to pass on her contact details to them.

ShayK1 wrote: »
    nice recruitment lady
    ShayK1 wrote:
    lovely lady called Shannon.

You'll remember these comments when the Network Engineer position comes up, won't you :P

I also posted here if you want to take a look. http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055275274

nice research to find the post btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭patrickc

ShayK1 wrote: »
    You'll remember these comments when the Network Engineer position comes up, won't up :P

I also posted here if you want to take a look. http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055275274

nice research to find the post btw.

jaisis talking about plugging ones self:D

Advertisement