Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy a laptop?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 fastman

I would say a Dell or a mac, both produce great spec laptops

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Casperbhoy wrote: »
    I need to run some 3d drawing software & its not capable of it basically...

128mb min graphics controller
    What is the software? you might be better buying the worst you can in dell and sticking your own in. i.e. even the best in dell might not be good enough, but dell might still be the cheapest around.

I have a 256 radeon X1400 and it struggles with any 3D stuff. It is not all about the numbers, I have used a 128 in work that was good using the same software. The megabyte number means as much as megapixels on a camera, you can get a crap 10MP camera and a great 3MP one.

You really have to look at the website for the software you plan on using, any decent 3d software company will have reviews/recommended cards listed. I use 3D stuff in work all day, I would recommend a 17" screen, and upgrade the dell to the better screen, you will appreciate money spent on a good monitor over most other upgrades.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

rubadub wrote: »
    What is the software? you might be better buying the worst you can in dell and sticking your own in. i.e. even the best in dell might not be good enough, but dell might still be the cheapest around.

If you are talking about upgrading the graphic card then I would advise against it. Upgrading a graphics card on a laptop can be impossible or at least very hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

I have a 256 radeon X1400 and it struggles with any 3D stuff. It is not all about the numbers, I have used a 128 in work that was good using the same software. The megabyte number means as much as megapixels on a camera, you can get a crap 10MP camera and a great 3MP one.

You really have to look at the website for the software you plan on using, any decent 3d software company will have reviews/recommended cards listed. I use 3D stuff in work all day, I would recommend a 17" screen, and upgrade the dell to the better screen, you will appreciate money spent on a good monitor over most other upgrades.

The software is autodesk Inventor. I need an upgrade bady but I dont want to rush in and buy the wrong laptop:confused:

If you are talking about upgrading the graphic card then I would advise against it. Upgrading a graphics card on a laptop can be impossible or at least very hard.

I didnt know that, I have only upgraded desktops before. Best make sure it is suitable so. Also dunno if anybody mentioned the www.dell.ie/epp site for a 7% discount if you or your family work in eircom, BOI, AIB, HSS (or you can just say they do since they do not check ;))

Keep an eye on the threads in bargain alerts. Sometimes you can get 10% off on top of the 7%. Also prices can vary hugely for the exact same unit in the business/home section. You do not need to be a business to buy from the business site.

But if you are not that particular about the spec the cheapest place is usually dell via ebay. The higher the spec the greater the savings on ebay, since most are bidding on low spec ones

http://stores.ebay.ie/Dell-Outlet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

There doesn't seem to be anything on that ebay site at the moment...or is it just me?

Plus you can't seem to be able to buy Vostro's on that Dell employee page either. And Vostro's seem to be the way to go these days ey...ha;)
    I didnt know that, I have only upgraded desktops before. Best make sure it is suitable so. Also dunno if anybody mentioned the www.dell.ie/epp site for a 7% discount if you or your family work in eircom, BOI, AIB, HSS (or you can just say they do since they do not check ;))

Keep an eye on the threads in bargain alerts. Sometimes you can get 10% off on top of the 7%. Also prices can vary hugely for the exact same unit in the business/home section. You do not need to be a business to buy from the business site.

But if you are not that particular about the spec the cheapest place is usually dell via ebay. The higher the spec the greater the savings on ebay, since most are bidding on low spec ones

http://stores.ebay.ie/Dell-Outlet

Casperbhoy wrote: »
    The software is autodesk Inventor. I need an upgrade bady but I dont want to rush in and buy the wrong laptop:confused:
    That is hungry alright! Best check a autocad forum for recommendations, or their site. I have heard some gaming cards are not that suitable. Mine in work is not recommended at all anymore and is acting up lately.

maybe this http://www.inventor-certified.com/graphics/
    or something here
    http://www.google.com/search?complete=1&hl=en&q=inventor+recommended+graphics&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f
    Bubba wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be anything on that ebay site at the moment...or is it just me?

Plus you can't seem to be able to buy Vostro's on that Dell employee page either. And Vostro's seem to be the way to go these days ey...ha;)
    Yes, none at the moment. They come in batches sometimes. If you click advanced search and just search completed listings for user name dellfactoryoutlet it will show all sales in teh last month, this shows you the going rate for stuff. You can click here, but you must log onto ebay to see completed listings.

http://search-completed.ebay.ie/_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQcatrefZC5QQdfspZ1QQfbdZ1QQfclZ3QQfisZ2QQflocZ1QQfromZR6QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQfssZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQga10244Z10425QQnojsprZyQQpfidZ0QQsaaffZafdefaultQQsabfmtsZ0QQsacatZQ2d1QQsacqyopZgeQQsacurZ0QQsaobfmtsZexsifQQsargnZQ2d1QQsaslZdellfactoryoutletQQsaslcZ0QQsaslopZ1QQsofocusZbs?GetResult&_trksid=m37&catref=C5&dfsp=1&fbd=1&fcl=3&fis=2&floc=1&from=R6&frpp=50&fsoo=1&fsop=1&fss=1&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&ga10244=10425&nojspr=y&pfid=0&saaff=afdefault&sabfmts=0&sacat=-1&sacqyop=ge&sacur=0&saobfmts=exsif&sargn=-1&sasl=dellfactoryoutlet&saslc=0&saslop=1&sofocus=bs&guest=1

You are right about the vostros. An XPS system I looked at was about 100 cheaper on the business site than the epp site, and that was including the post & vat. You have to keep an eye on all of them really.

Only a couple of high spec ones went lately
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/DELL-PC-Laptop-LCD-XPS-M1530-Scratched-JMG1C3J_W0QQitemZ250213479697QQihZ015QQcategoryZ177QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ie/DELL-PC-Laptop-LCD-Inspiron-XPS-M1330-Scratched-JXB383J_W0QQitemZ260210255229QQihZ016QQcategoryZ177QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

With the Vostro 1000 and 1400 (and Inspiron equivalents, and pretty much all the Dells with <14" screens), there's no separate graphics card, i.e. you'd need to change the whole motherboard which is probably too much hassle (who sells them anyway?), or there's no other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Just bought a Apple Macbook Pro in a states on Ebay.. It was a well registered powerseller... Waiting Delivery...

It has
    17" Macbook Pro
    2.4 Intel Duo Core
    4GB
    200 GB (7200 rpm) need the high rpm
    AppleCare

Obviously this has Leopard and I will put XP on when I get it. I will also install VMWare and Apple MS Office...

I am a Apple virgin but always wanted one and the dual boot and VMware can satisfy every thing.

The best thing is I got it for $3000 dollars which is a touch over 2000 euro. This beast which weigh as much as a standard 15".

Can't wait, hope nothing goes wrong

Advertisement