Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many eggs a day?

Options
  • 03-02-2008 7:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

I've recently developed an addiction to scrambled eggs (thanks to my uni canteen during exams!) so now eat them quite a lot, usually every morning.
    I know calorie wise they are relatively ok and am aware of the cholesterol issues with the yolks etc...but I'm wondering is there a guideline amount that you shouldn't go above? Sometimes I have one a day, sometimes I have two. I never eat 5 or anything but I don't know if 2 per day would be too many?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

As the marketing says "an egg a day is ok".

I usually use two eggs when making scramblies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Eggs are fantastic, it's like a lump of protein with a tasty middle that's jam packed with micronutrients. 2 a day isn't enough :)
    Buy free-range, these hens eat insects etc which results in a higher % DHA in their eggs.
    Once you've a decent intake of unsaturated fat, preferably from olive oil or nuts, then you've little to worry about cholesterol-wise from eggs.

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

if your worried, try making scrambled egg with two eggs, but take out one the yolks if u can. so 2 whites to one yolk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Ive been drinking 5 eggs (2 yolks 5 whites) every morning for the last number of weeks.Although I havent noticed anything wrong,is there anything that I should be worrying out as a result of taking so many eggs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

fatal wrote: »
    Ive been drinking 5 eggs (2 yolks 5 whites) every morning for the last number of weeks.Although I havent noticed anything wrong,is there anything that I should be worrying out as a result of taking so many eggs?

You get more protein out of the eggs (bioavailability) if they are cooked, (and they are nicer to most people).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I love eggs, but also believe that with them, as with other foods, moderation is the wisest long term choice. Every day seems a bit excessive? Plus, after awhile you might burn out and lose the taste for this yummmy food?

I love eggs, but also believe that with them, as with other foods, moderation is the wisest long term choice. Every day seems a bit excessive?
    An egg every day is certainly not excessive! It's such a paltry amount of food. Would you say the same of an apple, carrot or glass of milk? If anything I'd say an egg a day as a minimum recommended guideline.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

ApeXaviour, do you work out a lot? If you do, eating loads of eggs is great. If you don't, it's not the most healthy thing to do. No matter what, they are high in cholesterol. This isn't the fitness forum, most people in here are simply trying to eat better and maybe lose a bit of weight.

If someone is very overweight, chances are they've already got high cholesterol. Advising them to eat loads of eggs is bad. It might be fine for you, or someone with a very strictly controlled diet, but for the majority of people, eggs aren't something they should overdose on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Eggs do have cholesterol, but it's good cholesterol and the kind that actually reduces lower cholesterol. That diet myth was cleared up a few years ago now. Irrespective of training/ exercise activities an egg a day is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

g'em wrote: »
    Eggs do have cholesterol, but it's good cholesterol and the kind that actually reduces lower cholesterol. That diet myth was cleared up a few years ago now. Irrespective of training/ exercise activities an egg a day is fine.

Yeah, that's fine, but ApeX is recommending eating more than one a day. In his above post, he said that would be the minimum someone should eat.

I'm not having a go at you, ApeX, I just think it's a bit of a murky area and we should be advising people to follow official guidelines.

Nuts and fruit are really good for you too, but we wouldn't advise people to eats loads of them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Faith wrote: »
    ....If someone is very overweight, chances are they've already got high cholesterol.....

Which is, if I'm not mistaken, LDL cholesterol, eggs contain HDL afaik which is good for you and eggs have active ingredients which help maintain healthy levels of the right cholesterol(which your body needs).

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=92#summary

Faith, dietary cholesterol contributes very little to blood serum cholesterol. There is a connection but it is weak. And studies seem to suggest that when it does manage to lower blood cholesterol a little, it only really lowers total cholesterol as opposed to giving you a more favourable blood lipid profile: i.e. triglyceride/HDL ratio, or "good"-LDL/"bad"-LDL (yes there's more than one type of LDL now, it's all very confusing.)

If you're worried about cholesterol, then your main adversary is excess insulin, this being caused by sugar and excess high-density carbohydrates (white bread blah blah glycemic index etc). Excess insulin triggers cholesterol and triglyceride production in your liver, this making up the majority of your blood cholesterol. This problem grows exponentially as people become insulin resistant, and their pancreas has to really pump out heaps of insulin to make sure the cells respond.

The protein in eggs also triggers glucagon, insulin's counterpart. Providing extra protection against these blood sugar/insulin spikes.

Forgive me if I put little faith in lobbyist controlled official guidelines like the USDA's Food Pyramid and pay attention to the sidelined honest scientists. Of course everything in moderation, in my opinion though 3-4 eggs a day is still within the realms of moderation. And if someone is eating eggs instead of white bread or rice, then I say more power to them. They'll be healthier as a result.

Here is a very interesting article on this aspect of the cholesterol myth by Uffe Ravnskov, MD, PhD. I wholly recommend a glance to see the logic of this. If you're worried that in spite of education, this man is still some sort of crackpot trying to sell books etc. (which honestly I'd suspect too). I can assure you he's nothing of the sort:
    He is/was:
    -Honoured by the Skrabanek Award 1999 given by Trinity College of Dublin, Ireland for original contributions in the field of medical scepticism.
    -Honoured by the 2007 LEO Prize for Independent Thinking
    -A member of the free panel of the Journal of the Swedish Medical Association (Läkartidningen)
    -A member of International Science Oversight Board
    -A member of International Society for the Study of Fatty Acids and Lipids (ISSFAL)

And here are a couple of books, I must admit not to have read them yet (both by entirely different authors though I assure you.
    The Cholesterol Myths: Exposing the Fallacy That Saturated Fat and Cholesterol Cause Heart Disease
    and
    The Myths of Cholesterol: Dispelling the Fear and Creating Real Heart Health

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

My friend lived in a region of Uganda for some time where the staple diet was eggs. These Ugandans ate eggs 2-3 times daily. They weren't suffering high cholesterol or heart problems as a result. But then, fast food and refined carbs weren't available to them. All they ate was whole foods: it was all they had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭danindublin

Does anyone else start getting hives if they eat too many eggs, or am I the only one? Went on an egg/quiche binge over xmas and ended up on antihystamines! Remember that happening in the past aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Does anyone else start getting hives if they eat too many eggs, or am I the only one? Went on an egg/quiche binge over xmas and ended up on antihystamines! Remember that happening in the past aswell.

oooh, never had that happen to me but I'd guess it's entirely feasible. It's probably a food intolerance rather than an allergy, and likely to be a temporary thing (although.... antihistamines would only be effective against an allergy... ). My Dad could live on peanuts if he had to, loves the things, but every Autumn after over-indulging around Hallowe'en he develops an intolerance to them and gets bliding headaches.

I used to have sympathy for him until I realised he kept going back for more year in year out, the big eejit :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

I would eat 6 whole eggs a day but have 6 eggwhites with 1 yolk is perfectly fine every day.Eggwhites are probably the best protein of all because they have the highest biological value of all wholefood proteins

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bugle

i would have atleast 2 a day, some days 6.when im training i would have 6.it doesnt matter if you have the yolks in or out really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    Faith, dietary cholesterol contributes very little to blood serum cholesterol. There is a connection but it is weak. And studies seem to suggest that when it does manage to lower blood cholesterol a little, it only really lowers total cholesterol as opposed to giving you a more favourable blood lipid profile: i.e. triglyceride/HDL ratio, or "good"-LDL/"bad"-LDL (yes there's more than one type of LDL now, it's all very confusing.)

If you're worried about cholesterol, then your main adversary is excess insulin, this being caused by sugar and excess high-density carbohydrates (white bread blah blah glycemic index etc). Excess insulin triggers cholesterol and triglyceride production in your liver, this making up the majority of your blood cholesterol. This problem grows exponentially as people become insulin resistant, and their pancreas has to really pump out heaps of insulin to make sure the cells respond.

The protein in eggs also triggers glucagon, insulin's counterpart. Providing extra protection against these blood sugar/insulin spikes.

Forgive me if I put little faith in lobbyist controlled official guidelines like the USDA's Food Pyramid and pay attention to the sidelined honest scientists. Of course everything in moderation, in my opinion though 3-4 eggs a day is still within the realms of moderation. And if someone is eating eggs instead of white bread or rice, then I say more power to them. They'll be healthier as a result.

Here is a very interesting article on this aspect of the cholesterol myth by Uffe Ravnskov, MD, PhD. I wholly recommend a glance to see the logic of this. If you're worried that in spite of education, this man is still some sort of crackpot trying to sell books etc. (which honestly I'd suspect too). I can assure you he's nothing of the sort:
    He is/was:
    -Honoured by the Skrabanek Award 1999 given by Trinity College of Dublin, Ireland for original contributions in the field of medical scepticism.
    -Honoured by the 2007 LEO Prize for Independent Thinking
    -A member of the free panel of the Journal of the Swedish Medical Association (Läkartidningen)
    -A member of International Science Oversight Board
    -A member of International Society for the Study of Fatty Acids and Lipids (ISSFAL)

And here are a couple of books, I must admit not to have read them yet (both by entirely different authors though I assure you.
    The Cholesterol Myths: Exposing the Fallacy That Saturated Fat and Cholesterol Cause Heart Disease
    and
    The Myths of Cholesterol: Dispelling the Fear and Creating Real Heart Health
    So one of those Egg Council creeps got to you too, huh?

Sangre wrote: »
    So one of those Egg Council creeps got to you too, huh?
    Heh, I actually haven't read any of their propaganda as of yet. They'll be the next superfood no doubt if someone starts marketing them like they do for milk or flora. God I can't believe I ever thought flora was good for me...

Eggs are still good though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I have been known to eat 16 eggs scrambled in one sitting

I bloody love eggs, soft boiled, scrambled, however you spell omlette, poached

I love em, the feckers in work canteen just wont do them any other way than fried though and it drives me nuts :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Nordwind

Friend eggs are disgusting in my opinion. The only way I have them is boiled (and on a rare occassion scrambled). I went around three months eating three full eggs a day, but I was eating healthy all round - good oils and nuts also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Meh, I'm up at around 6-8 of the buggers some days. I'll let ya'll know if I die of whatever it is they're saying I will (caveat: not exactly a couch potato). Boiled eggs are the closest thing you can get to little food capsules, great for a snack.

Sponsored by poultry farmers

Not really

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

ApeXaviour, do you work out a lot? If you do, eating loads of eggs is great. If you don't, it's not the most healthy thing to do. No matter what, they are high in cholesterol. This isn't the fitness forum, most people in here are simply trying to eat better and maybe lose a bit of weight.
    Nuts and fruit are really good for you too, but we wouldn't advise people to eats loads of them either.

I think the thing people have to remember is that they have to quantify how dietary advise relates to their specific needs and how they can add it into a balanced diet for them.

So of course when quite a few of the people in here say they eat x amount of eggs generally they are basing on it their calorie and dietary needs. For example for me I could eat up to 4000 calories a day when training heavily where as other may be only eating 1500 - 1800 calories a day. So the minimum of certain things that I need as part of my diet would be over kill for others.

So when people are reading the forum they have to learn how to read how different things impact on their diet and how it should fit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭pecker1992

alot of people i know swear by 1 egg a day and no more than that

i on the other hand hate eggs personaly i feel eating an egg is like biting into a fart

just my 2 cents

Advertisement