Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turn

Options
  • 03-02-2008 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Does anyone remember these guys? I think they really were excellent. Forward must be one of the best Irish albums this decade.
    Ollie Cole's solo stuff sounds very good and Concerto For Constantine, although a bit too Muse-derived, could produce something decent after a while in studio and time to find their own sound.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Yeah, they were very good, went to see them a lot back in the day, although I think Antisocial was much better than Forward

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

SumGuy wrote: »
    Yeah, they were very good, went to see them a lot back in the day, although I think Antisocial was much better than Forward
    Antisocial is a great album yeah, Beretta's probably my favourite song of their's, I just think that Forward is stronger from the very start to finish. Can't Keep Waiting is one of the highlight's.

I never saw them live, only got into them in the last 6 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Oh Turn...why did you break my heart :( It'd be good to see them one more time. A once-off reunion is on the cards, but they haven't even started talking about it yet aparantly.
    I miss the old TBMC gigs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

these are one of those bands that I cant get their CDs anywhere!
    I have their latest album, self titled and cant get any of the other.

exiot wrote: »
    these are one of those bands that I cant get their CDs anywhere!
    I have their latest album, self titled and cant get any of the other.
    I was in the exact same boat for ages and ages!
    I got S/T handy enough. But I had to get Forward on Amazon marketplace for 17euro and Antisocial on play.com for 4euro! Both new. I've order Check My Ears EP and I miraculously found the In Position EP near me recently.

Forward is neigh on impossible to find but Antisocial can be got much easier http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/3209338/Anti-Social/Product.html?ptsl=1&ob=Price&fb=1
    There you are, 4euro and free delivery for an excellent piece of work!;)

• Advertisement

Oh Turn...why did you break my heart :( It'd be good to see them one more time. A once-off reunion is on the cards, but they haven't even started talking about it yet aparantly.
    I miss the old TBMC gigs
    There's no bad blood between Gavin and the other pair, or so I've read, in spite of his leaving. Is that the basis you're going on or have you more info?!

S/T was a victim of bad production which didn't suit the band. A Def Leppard producer- doomed for failure. The subject matter was a bit too moany and those vocal melodies were a bit too over-used. Then the way the guitar were layered below and the fact that the guitars were nothing spectacular anyway. It was all in a different direction to the rest of their material.

Anyone ever heard any of the Swampshack stuff? Sounds really interesting- "A cross between Metallica and the Beach Boys" is what I've read!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Ah yeah Turn were a good band. I was actually listening to Forward a few nights ago, it still sounds great.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Absolutely loved Turn. Beretta, Queen of my Heart, In Position, Summer Song, Another Year Over, all top quality songs. Great band to watch live as well. Although they do have there haters around the country too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

Yeah whatever happened to them? That album Forward is great. I love Summer Song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

what was the song they had with "...i sleep though my arm's broken..."
    was it "face down" ??
    had it on a Rock Sound compilation cd yrs ago. i think its a cracking tune. which album would that be on? (not antisocial...?)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Facedown it is indeed. Cracking song. Great band. In my opinion i think they got a bit lost along the way. But man the songs, they'd melt your face.

Beeeeeswaaaxxxxxxx

BarryCreed wrote: »
    what was the song they had with "...i sleep though my arm's broken..."
    was it "face down" ??
    had it on a Rock Sound compilation cd yrs ago. i think its a cracking tune. which album would that be on? (not antisocial...?)
    It's on the Check My Ears EP, superb choon.

Ekels wrote: »
    It's on the Check My Ears EP, superb choon.

and what are the odds of tracking that ep down...:(

and what are the odds of tracking that ep down...:(
    I ordered it on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00004TAB6/ref=sr_1_olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1202322191&sr=8-1

cheers for that
    No problem. Plenty of em there at very reasonable prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

lordgoat wrote: »
    Facedown it is indeed. Cracking song. Great band. In my opinion i think they got a bit lost along the way. But man the songs, they'd melt your face.

Beeeeeswaaaxxxxxxx

Did I ever tell you about the old country?

dunno if it actually is Black Books you're doing, but I'll give it a bash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Come on OC lets have that finalé.

Oh well, i tried.

Shame shame shame as Polly would say.

Come on OC lets have that finalé.

Oh well, i tried.

Shame shame shame as Polly would say.
    The fact that they promised that one last tour suggests that it may well occur, eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

isn't ollie gonna do some solo stuff. He's a major elliot smith fan and had plans to release an album of his own stuff.

• Advertisement

sweetie wrote: »
    isn't ollie gonna do some solo stuff. He's a major elliot smith fan and had plans to release an album of his own stuff.
    Yep indeedy. Out in March http://www.myspace.com/olivercole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭chris d

What a band, what a message board, what the **** kind of melody was that in After We Go (again)?

They're still the benchmark.

chris d wrote: »
    What a band, what a message board, what the **** kind of melody was that in After We Go (again)?

They're still the benchmark.

Did the message board relocate anywhere or did it die with the website?

Ekels wrote: »
    Did the message board relocate anywhere or did it die with the website?

Nah it went offline when turn.ie did. And with it wnet many pages of delight and commentary the like of whihc have never been seen since. Highlights included the coke rant, libertines and song tag...

PS who is this oliver cole? Is he like the musical version of Andrew Cole???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Burp Bleugh

I always hated Turn, there music was the most derivative quiet - loud / quiet - loud nonsense I had heard in a long time and then when that failed they tried to go all melodic pop rock and once that failed they thankfully gave it up......

If you have the misfortune of hearing his solo stuff you will once again see Ollie(ver) is trying yet another genre of sensitive turbadour :rolleyes:

Also back in 2002 you couldn't swing a perfectly coiffured fringe in Whelans without hitting Ollie surrounded a gaggle of sycophantic scenesters telling him you great he was...

I always hated Turn,

Thats the past tense obveriously. So you like them now? Damn shame its too late mate theyve jacked it in. Typical Dublin, how they love to slag off their own.

I liked the random comments thread personally on Turn dot ie.

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta.

I always hated Turn, there music was the most derivative quiet - loud / quiet - loud nonsense I had heard in a long time and then when that failed they tried to go all melodic pop rock and once that failed they thankfully gave it up......

If you have the misfortune of hearing his solo stuff you will once again see Ollie(ver) is trying yet another genre of sensitive turbadour :rolleyes:

Also back in 2002 you couldn't swing a perfectly coiffured fringe in Whelans without hitting Ollie surrounded a gaggle of sycophantic scenesters telling him you great he was...

Coiffured fringe in 2002. Look at you, you trend setter you!

How bout the i like cheese thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Burp Bleugh

"always hated Turn", past tense, as they are no more. If you're going to be so anal so to pick someone up on their grammar then the least you can do know what you're talking about.

Also at what point did I mention I was from Dublin? Typical Dub assuming the world stops and starts at the M50 more like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭chris d

nah, they were great.
    Heart attack
    Every Mistake
    You Got Style
    Without You

Not much derivative there. Cole may have enjoyed stepping on the odd bluesdriver or three, but who could blame him? They were a rock band.

• Advertisement

"always hated Turn", past tense, as they are no more. If you're going to be so anal so to pick someone up on their grammar then the least you can do know what you're talking about.

Also at what point did I mention I was from Dublin? Typical Dub assuming the world stops and starts at the M50 more like...

it stops at the A57...sheesh

I was a late cheese comer, never an anal comer. Over to you.

Advertisement